Bit Of A Yarn

What about this for a 2yr old field at Ellerslie this Saturday Boxing Day 2020?!

Chief Stipe

• Chief Stipe changed the title to What about this for a 2yr old field at Ellerslie this Saturday Boxing Day 2020?!

OK. Well my guess is that SLB was wondering if you were suggesting that a field of 17 with only 4 previous winners in a 50k 2yo at this time of year was disappointing. I didn't get the point either. Thought you might be suggesting it was either a good/bad betting race or something but wasn't sure.

Karaka Sales figures for each.  

Follow Your Dreams $24,000

Palamos $85,000

Sophisticardo $35,000

King of Reds $20,000

Sneaky Shark $165,000

Bergheim $30,000

Coyote $26,000

Burgundy Dancer $8,000

Berbizier $32,000

Miss Ipenema $20,000

Beldarra $115,000

Lady Pristina $80,000

Dragons Kiss $150,000

Seven Twenty $14,000

The Night King $100,000

The Charging $45,000

Molinara $100,000

6 minutes ago, curious said:

OK. Well my guess is that SLB was wondering if you were suggesting that a field of 17 with only 4 previous winners in a 50k 2yo at this time of year was disappointing. I didn't get the point either. Thought you might be suggesting it was either a good/bad betting race or something but wasn't sure.

I was seeking opinion's which you have yet to express.  However my opinion is that it is a top field of well bred two year olds racing towards the Karaka Million.

5 minutes ago, Chief Stipe said:

I've made several points but you only choose one?

You emphasised that one by listing the sale prices. I don't really have an opinion. I was trying to understand the point of your post. I may have an opinion when I price the race tomorrow though. At this point it's just another race to me and even if I have a bet I won't be stopping what I'm doing to watch it. Do you think it has a chance of earning enough revenue to cover say half the cost of staging the event, leaving aside the owner's cost to provide the runners?

My point was that the 2YO race probably looks better than it is. Only four winners in the field - so what makes it such a great field?

Juvenile races always give off the impression of quality because they haven't had many starts. In reality, it could be a weak event. But, as I said, time will tell.

Just now, SLB2.0 said:

My point was that the 2YO race probably looks better than it is. Only four winners in the field - so what makes it such a great field?

Juvenile races always give off the impression of quality because they haven't had many starts. In reality, it could be a weak event. But, as I said, time will tell.

Good point.  My observation so far this season is that we may have an above average crop of 2 year olds.  I even suspect that there are better one's that have raced and are not in this event.

3 minutes ago, curious said:

Do you think it has a chance of earning enough revenue to cover say half the cost of staging the event, leaving aside the owner's cost to provide the runners?

You know full well my opinion on that and it is similar to yours.  However given that the industry administration is hell bent on its current course I try to look for at least some positives.  Certainly this two year old race has a higher chance of being profitable than some of the bigger events further down the card.

My observation was - as I said above - mouthwatering.  And I was looking at pedigrees, as I assume was the Chief,  and wishing that I had access to some quality bloodstock like those.

Not implying anything about their relative ability, whether the crop is strong or otherwise, just the pleasure to be had by handling SOMETHING that might have a future, and not a well-tried-and-found-wanting model from somewhere else.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1