Bit Of A Yarn

Te Akau's Poppy seed problem

Thomass

So VAMOS BEBE tests positive to morphine...

Itll be the usual feed contamination, automatic DQ, shit how did that happen inquest...

But it should also bring into sharper focus just how PATHETIC NZ's grub testing regime is with the hopeless RIU in control

Lets start with TCO 2 testing..or milk shaking

Gobbder of the RIU hated when I brought this up

"Ahhh Mike, why is 80% of your TCO 2 tests done minimally in the Sth Is?"

Mick " ohhhh, splutter splutter, you see"

Yea na Mick....hopeless is as hopeless does

Nek minute Nigel Tiley takes a horse to Brisbane and gets a 10k fine for a positive

and came within 0.1 of being charged here after a once in a blue moon test

As for other 'Drug tests' here....mmmm let's see the big pants one....

Out of competition.....forget about that...the RIU prefer not to talk about that

We wonder why eh Mick?

18 minutes ago, Thomass said:

Lets start with TCO 2 testing..or milk shaking

Gobbder of the RIU hated when I brought this up

"Ahhh Mike, why is 80% of your TCO 2 tests done minimally in the Sth Is?"

Here we go again.  When did you first start banging on about this?  Was it 4 or 5 years ago?  

Racing: Jamie Richards' Ellerslie record in jeopardy after Vamos Bebe's irregular drug test

3 minutes to read
Vamos Bebe returned a post-race urine sample irregularity. Photo / Trish Dunell
Vamos Bebe returned a post-race urine sample irregularity. Photo / Trish Dunell
NZ Herald
By: Michael Guerin

Jamie Richards' record of six training wins in a day at Ellerslie is in jeopardy after one of his Boxing Day winners returned an irregularity in a post-race test.

But the champion trainer's licence is not believed to be in danger as racing investigators suspect a case of cross-contamination.

Richards trained an Ellerslie record six winners at the Boxing Day meeting but one of them, Vamos Bebe, has returned a post-race urine sample irregularity, which the Herald understands is to morphine, after her win in the Listed Hallmark Stud.

The irregularity, which is not officially classed as a positive swab until after the B-sample is tested and an investigation completed, is a double blow for the owners of Vamos Bebe as she is now almost certain to lose the black-type win.

Disqualification of a horse is almost always the outcome after proven drug irregularities even when no foul play is suspected.

That, and a charge of presenting a horse to the races with a prohibited substance in its system, now looks the most likely outcome of the Racing Integrity Unit's investigation.

Sources close to the case have told the Herald the RIU does not believe Richards or any of his staff have been involved in any wrongdoing and the most likely source of the irregularity is cross-contamination, whether from a human handler, feed or absorption.

Richards is the New Zealand trainer for thoroughbred powerhouse Te Akau and has an exemplary record with no previous irregularities. The five other horses he trained to win on Boxing Day also had post-race urine samples taken with no irregularities.

News of the irregularity saw the horse racing rumour machine kick into overdrive yesterday but the reality is any charge proven, or that Richards pleads guilty to, would probably result in a mid-grade fine.

That is standard in cases of presenting a horse to race with a banned substance as opposed to the much more serious charge of administering a banned substance.

RIU boss Mike Godber told the Herald his investigators are working with Te Akau and Richards to find out how the irregularity happened.

Te Akau boss David Ellis has emailed all owners with horses trained by Richards to reaffirm the stable's commitment to answers.

5 minutes ago, Tesio said:

Mare was know to have “issues”.......easier to run with “issues” with a bit of morphine in the system.

Whoaaaa...controversial post...the Chef will be onto you!

I think you'll find it'll be a 'trace'....these NZTR/Vet boys have set a very low threashold on almost anything

If Waddell/Lammis took a wee wee in a swabbing box the 'waft' would send off alarm bells in a horse's wee tube with their threshes

1 hour ago, Chief Stipe said:

Here we go again.  When did you first start banging on about this?  Was it 4 or 5 years ago?  

What's your point?

It hasn't improved one iota....

...do you want a lass eh fear system where the Sth Island is the whipping boy for some reason?

4 minutes ago, Thomass said:

What's your point?

It hasn't improved one iota....

...do you want a lass eh fear system where the Sth Island is the whipping boy for some reason?

Then focus on your target instead of muddying the waters with your bait click headlines and scurrilous aspersions.

Also stop, think and try to be consistent in your logic.

For example do you think the proposed "Super Integrity Unit" is going to make the problems worse or better?  Given personnel are unlikely to change I would bet it gets worse!

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Chief Stipe said:

Then focus on your target instead of muddying the waters with your bait click headlines and scurrilous aspersions.

Also stop, think and try to be consistent in your logic.

For example do you think the proposed "Super Integrity Unit" is going to make the problems worse or better?  Given personnel are unlikely to change I would bet it gets worse!

Helllo....bait clicks greases your palms with much more moolah!

Scurry asperages?

Talking facts?

Tiley did get fined 10k and was within 0.1 Nanos of being charged here with a TCO 2 or milk shaking violation....

Fact! Based

Said it before...WE CANT AFFORD the Rolls Royce system we have ffs!

Return the Integrity function to the Thoroughbred code instead of a weak Tri code blomage of ineptitude 

This one paragraph is very damning as to transparency and integrity in NZ journalism......oh, and racing

Sources close to the case have told the Herald the RIU does not believe Richards or any of his staff have been involved in any wrongdoing and the most likely source of the irregularity is cross-contamination, whether from a human handler, feed or absorption.

• Like 4

27 minutes ago, Tesio said:

Mare was know to have “issues”.......easier to run with “issues” with a bit of morphine in the system.

I wouldn't have expected anything less from you Tesio as you have clearly shown to date that you have an axe to grind with Te Akau.  But since you say the mare was "known to have issues" can you quote you source and detail what those issues were/are?

Throw the book at em! 

Drugs in sport disgust me, watch all the apologetics come out of the woodwork for the stable.

If it was anyone else they (riu & media)wouldn't be looking for wriggle room.

Will all their horses in Group races be pre race tested tomorrow?

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Thomass said:

I think you'll find it'll be a 'trace'....these NZTR/Vet boys have set a very low threashold on almost anything

Yes and that is one of your rare very good points.

As Professor Kary Mullis the inventor of the PCR test said - "testing is so sensitive now that you can find any molecule you want in anyone."  His point being that unless you calibrate your testing against a specific outcome these tests will produce false positives - i.e. they detect the presence of a chemical or virus but that doesn't mean zip in terms of a clinical outcome.

For example the PCR testing of Covid-19 if enough cycles are done (low threshold) then a positive will always eventuate but that means nothing in terms of measuring if a person is actually infected (has the disease) or is infectious. 

6 minutes ago, Joe Bloggs said:

The RIU if this is correct are in big trouble.....or should be in any other racing jurisdiction! Even the most biased of you should admit that.......I've never ever seen this anywhere else on the planet........The one and only daily newspaper and it spreads this? What next?

Yes that highlights the culture at the RIU.  

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Huey said:

Throw the book at em! 

Drugs in sport disgust me, watch all the apologetics come out of the woodwork for the stable.

If it was anyone else they (riu & media)wouldn't be looking for wriggle room.

Will all their horses in Group races be pre race tested tomorrow?

Whoa back up there Huey.  

You are assuming that because a testing irregularity has been notified that somehow there has been something foul or illegal done.  In my opinion testing protocols and test sensitivity has far outpaced practical considerations.

I'm surprised that the article mentions Morphine - where did the media source this information from?

I've seen the media in their ignorance extrapolate an opioid type therapeutic medicine to label it Morphine as that is what we hoi polloi know and understand. 

6 minutes ago, Chief Stipe said:

Whoa back up there Huey.  

You are assuming that because a testing irregularity has been notified that somehow there has been something foul or illegal done.  In my opinion testing protocols and test sensitivity has far outpaced practical considerations.

I'm surprised that the article mentions Morphine - where did the media source this information from?

I've seen the media in their ignorance extrapolate an opioid type therapeutic medicine to label it Morphine as that is what we hoi polloi know and understand. 

Was waiting for that, it was a feed irregularity wasn't it , that's a new one.

Yeah....same as a positive attributed to feed stored in a warehouse where party pills were made.

I like to think I am fairly logical, and look for science-based facts or proof....but,  ffs, how much 'contamination'  is really likely?

Cattle water troughs shared by Derby colts?   Really?

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Freda said:

I like to think I am fairly logical, and look for science-based facts or proof....but,  ffs, how much 'contamination'  is really likely?

Very very likely given the sensitivity of the testing science.

Freda as a trainer you should be as worried as anyone about testing protocols, systems and protocols.

A debate needs to be held on each of those factors including meaningful thresholds.  

9 minutes ago, Freda said:

Yeah....same as a positive attributed to feed stored in a warehouse where party pills were made.

Cattle water troughs shared by Derby colts?   Really?

Exactly,  dont worry nothing will come of it  Morphine ffs!