Bit Of A Yarn

Te Akau's Poppy seed problem

Thomass

19 minutes ago, KickintheKods said:

When Larnie bought that magnificent farm a few years back he paid, what was at the time, a huge amount of coin because it was such a prized possesion to own. 

There were port a loos for the cattle in each paddock and the troughs were purchased second hand from the Hilton in Hawaii. The soil was trucked in from Palmer's gardenworld and the grass was as soft as toilet tissue at HQ. It was the Mecca for meat carrying bovine beauties.

Perhaps the cobolt came in the troughs from Hawaii.

Did you go to the same literary school as Thomarse?

• Haha 1

52 minutes ago, KickintheKods said:

When Larnie bought that magnificent farm a few years back he paid, what was at the time, a huge amount of coin because it was such a prized possesion to own. 

There were port a loos for the cattle in each paddock and the troughs were purchased second hand from the Hilton in Hawaii. The soil was trucked in from Palmer's gardenworld and the grass was as soft as toilet tissue at HQ. It was the Mecca for meat carrying bovine beauties.

Perhaps the cobolt came in the troughs from Hawaii.

I wonder if a few of the runners in the Telegraph will have beefies with them in their boxes today?

G1 racing requires one to pull out all stops.

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, Chief Stipe said:

There oft nothing more stranger than the truth.  If you are not providing supplementary cobalt to your livestock particularly on deficient soils then arguably you are not doing the best for your livestock.

Hell 50 years ago in primary school I was taught about Cobalt deficiency on volcanic soils.

Did the livestock test positive for cobalt as well? and if so was their excuse that they were in the paddock with a G1 horse?

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

1 hour ago, Huey said:

Did the livestock test positive for cobalt as well?

Probably would have although the metabolism of cobalt in a bovine differs to that of an equine.  

1 hour ago, Huey said:

if so was their excuse that they were in the paddock with a G1 horse?

My understanding is that the paddock had previously had cattle in it.  I'm pretty sure they weren't in there the same time.

Common farming practice to move livestock around.  Cattle are more adapted to mowing tall grass than horses with the latter preferring it shorter.

3 hours ago, Chief Stipe said:

When you consider that 90% of horses bleed at some stage then it is inevitable that there will be more examples.  The only time it needs to be reported is if it originates from the lungs and displays in the nostrils!  The Catalyst explanation is entirely plausible.

As you say the large majority of horses bleed into the lungs after a race , with no indication that it has , but i have seen quite a few get off the truck at home after the races where the stress of the drive home has brought blood up .

Not 100% , but i would suspect that these " bleeders " weren't reported .

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Huey said:

Off to Aus Cool Az A beel

https://www.breednet.com.au/news/12716/newhaven-park-announce-exciting-new-stallion?fbclid=IwAR3-F44YTsDZd84X7vvfVpMnVf0LMBrhpIABar5uyJ-CiRpCX0kC6jVTzxU

Things so bad here now , they don't even bother to try to stand them in NZ?

A Savabeel that can perform as he did as a 2yo is exactly what should be standing in NZ . Wonder if it was no one in NZ wanted him or TA sold to highest bidder . I would be surprised if none of the big ones wanted him .

I would like to think that they would have taken a bit less to get him a home in NZ , for the best interests of NZ breeding and racing .

Perhaps there are issues around him , but then Newhaven aren't mugs .

• Like 1

There is a problem with sons of Savabeel....if they were worth anything, don't you think Waikato Stud would be standing one?  But no, people more interested in shoving them off to Hong Kong...because they're worth more money...

I don't believe the majority have good temperaments...and thats why they're gelded...

The only value I see is owning a Savabeel nom and selling the progeny....

Newhaven are not big players these days...and perhaps it suits them to stand a stallion like him...plenty of breed to race people in southern NSW...and with BOBS bonuses it might work out well.  

1 minute ago, Joe Bloggs said:

Yep, a mate strapped Grosvenor, he was Murph's foreman, he's got a bite mark to prove you're correct!

Yea , had to be on my toes when grooming him , he would slowly inch around to try and get me on the wall to then have a crack , nearly got me the first time , second i seen it coming . Was a pain to get halter on and bring in at night , couldn't go on paddock to get him , he had to come to gate , wouldn't once , no way was he coming to the gate so i left him out for the night , no dinner , didn't do it again . 

Could tell you plenty more about him , but not here .

• Like 3

4 hours ago, nomates said:

A Savabeel that can perform as he did as a 2yo is exactly what should be standing in NZ . Wonder if it was no one in NZ wanted him or TA sold to highest bidder . I would be surprised if none of the big ones wanted him .

I would like to think that they would have taken a bit less to get him a home in NZ , for the best interests of NZ breeding and racing .

Perhaps there are issues around him , but then Newhaven aren't mugs .

I agree, given his race record and pedigree I thought he would be perfect for NZ stud , surely.

But it seems to be the way TA are going Xtravagant, Heroic Valour & now this guy all standing in Aus. Doesn't say much for NZ racing does it, his fee will be interesting.

2 hours ago, Joe Bloggs said:

There is a problem with sons of Savabeel....if they were worth anything, don't you think Waikato Stud would be standing one?  But no, people more interested in shoving them off to Hong Kong...because they're worth more money...

I don't believe the majority have good temperaments...and thats why they're gelded...

The only value I see is owning a Savabeel nom and selling the progeny....

Newhaven are not big players these days...and perhaps it suits them to stand a stallion like him...plenty of breed to race people in southern NSW...and with BOBS bonuses it might work out well.  

Yes you would think this guy would have interested WS, but perhaps they are still recovering from the Rock n Pops! 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, nomates said:

Yea , had to be on my toes when grooming him , he would slowly inch around to try and get me on the wall to then have a crack , nearly got me the first time , second i seen it coming . Was a pain to get halter on and bring in at night , couldn't go on paddock to get him , he had to come to gate , wouldn't once , no way was he coming to the gate so i left him out for the night , no dinner , didn't do it again . 

Could tell you plenty more about him , but not here .

A prick but did a pretty good job on the track and at stud ; 0 Good to hear some tales about him.

I think you are both underestimating the one at Cambridge Stud. My colt is a cracker and i have seen plenty of others that look the part. Let's wait and see.

And just why do Marky Mark and Gee up Gary have to have one? Just coz Arrowfield have a thousand sons of Redoutes doesn't make it necessary for other studs to follow.

16 minutes ago, KickintheKods said:

I think you are both underestimating the one at Cambridge Stud. My colt is a cracker and i have seen plenty of others that look the part. Let's wait and see.

And just why do Marky Mark and Gee up Gary have to have one? Just coz Arrowfield have a thousand sons of Redoutes doesn't make it necessary for other studs to follow.

Nice to hear, plenty of people happy with their Embellish stock. He is one I'd like to see kick some goals.

• Champ Post 1