Bit Of A Yarn

Filling the Void

Karrots

With a number of trainers stepping off the scene in the past 12 months, there is a void to fill.

Who do people think will be making headlines for them selves over the next 12 months?

Ill be keeping my eye out for another M Purdon.

Reason - I noticed he made a number of purchases at the 2020 yearling sales and has those up as being trained by him as 2 y-os. He also had a couple of nice ones, Willie Go West & Major Trojan from what I saw at a glance from a small pool to work with.

I have not done full fledge research on this, just caught my eye due to the above mentioned. Be interested to see if he lines up again and gets more at the yearling sale next month.

Anyone else have their eye on anyone in particular to see how they go, and who might be part filling that void and why?

Edited by Karrots
  • Like 1

Well Cran already has 'form on the board' with CHRISTEN ME and 11 Group 1's , even racing against Allstars ???

wow , he sure knows how to do it.

ELSU was a great horse in the north (6 Group 1's) don't know what happened to his trainer? Maybe ALL the Butcher Boys could get togeather and have a SUPER STABLE ,???? John Butcher won a few in his day.

Barry Purdon still in action at Clevedon, always goes well, I would send anything that runs good right handed up to him for sure.

What about the MONKEY KING people ??  Reid in the north and Hill in the South islands. They had great results with the Monkey so surely know what they are doing? give them some good horses and away you go............   .......

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Richie said:

Regan Todd has a nice team and I heard he has a couple very nice young ones

Yes, he got the weanling, that was my top selection. They named it One Wild Turkey or similar, then 3-4 weeks later changed name to Holly Hecka. Karrots was looking 👀 to see who owner is (same taste) - noticed name change. 

Ok so start list to keep eyes 👀 on if any make a noticeable splash in future 

M Purdon 

C Dalgety 

R Todd

T Chmiel 

B Purdon

Reid

Hill

All Butcher Boys

21 minutes ago, Karrots said:

Yes, he got the weanling, that was my top selection. They named it One Wild Turkey or similar, then 3-4 weeks later changed name to Holly Hecka. Karrots was looking 👀 to see who owner is (same taste) - noticed name change. 

Ok so start list to keep eyes 👀 on if any make a noticeable splash in future 

M Purdon 

C Dalgety 

R Todd

T Chmiel 

B Purdon

Reid

Hill

All Butcher Boys

loner star lad has deep pockets 

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, hunterthepunter said:

loner star lad has deep pockets 

Yeah I know Hunts, hard to compete. But I remember reading an article & Woodlands A Grierson said, “they know someone will get a steal”.

That was my focus/goal. Oppose going in with a big swinging d..k. (over budget = not a steal for Karrots)

Who knows who got the steal of the sale. Maybe you, maybe me. We wait & see and hope 😁

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Brodie said:

Dennis O’Connell?

Alexy having start 300!

More of an Abyss than a 'void to fill' with Alexy helping being the 'Void' filler.

Pretty impressive to get to 300 starts though. What a tough effort that is. Imagine the truck miles covered ???

Check out this bloke , an old kiwi, having his 400th start next week at Albion Park. (300 odd sub 2.00 minute miles , must be near a record effort I would think) 

LANCELOT BROMAC NZ

View at HRA Online
Foal Date 31 October 2009 
Colour / Sex BAY GELDING 
Sire ART MAJOR USA 
Dam LIFE OF LUXURY (NZ) 
Broodmare Sire LIVE OR DIE USA 
Owner(s) S W Dickson, M J Manners
Breeder(s) Bromac Lodge Ltd, Cee Bee Holdings Ltd 
Trainer S W Dickson 
Gait PACER 
Class NR49 

Lifetime

Summary: 399-28-62-50 
Stakes: $316,181
Best Winning Mile Rate: 1:53.8
  • Like 4

19 hours ago, Karrots said:

With a number of trainers stepping off the scene in the past 12 months, there is a void to fill.

Who do people think will be making headlines for them selves over the next 12 months?

Ill be keeping my eye out for another M Purdon.

Reason - I noticed he made a number of purchases at the 2020 yearling sales and has those up as being trained by him as 2 y-os. He also had a couple of nice ones, Willie Go West & Major Trojan from what I saw at a glance from a small pool to work with.

I have not done full fledge research on this, just caught my eye due to the above mentioned. Be interested to see if he lines up again and gets more at the yearling sale next month.

Anyone else have their eye on anyone in particular to see how they go, and who might be part filling that void and why?

I think Southland trainer Alister Black is a future star if he can keep getting quality stock. He had five horses at Winton yesterday. Two first starters in the maiden mobile trot... he quinellaed the race with Wai Kee Wee winning by over eight lengths. Race 5, a Bettor's Delight gelding having first start and won by two and a half lengths. Consistent trotter Get Lucky was fifth in the big trot a good effort from 35m. Vintage Cheddar not suited by wet track. I like it that you can back his horses with confidence because they are ready to go when start at the races. He also did a great job setting Vintage Cheddar for the Cup meeting winning twice. I think he has a big future in the game.

• Like 3

Updated list:

M Purdon - Future

C Dalgety 

R Todd

T Chmiel 

B Purdon

S Reid

Hill

All Butcher Boys

A Black

J Morrison - Future

D O’Connell - on list due to having done an amazing job with keeping some of his team going for many starts. Record breaking stuff. 

Edited by Karrots
  • Like 4

the future depends on being able to get smart big punters betting on the nz product again in nz.  Punters are what drives our industry.  Breeders like to think otherwise, but its the consistent punter who spends their hard earned.

I'm sure the guys in Petone have small genitalia, needless to say I haven't been out with a bookie!!!

Anyone got a winner for tonight, out on the town Saturday night

• Like 1
  • Champ Post 1

28 minutes ago, boobybec said:

the future depends on being able to get smart big punters betting on the nz product again in nz.  Punters are what drives our industry.  Breeders like to think otherwise, but its the consistent punter who spends their hard earned.

I'm sure the guys in Petone have small genitalia, needless to say I haven't been out with a bookie!!!

Anyone got a winner for tonight, out on the town Saturday night

Race 4, Brodie Lindenny, named after our favourite BOAF harness fan, probably won't pay much.

2 hours ago, Karrots said:

All Butcher Boys

Was wondering where Philip Butcher got to , and so found this clipping from 2009.

What a Ripper !, love this stuff ....lol, someone taking it right up to Allstars on the big days ! 

Gammalite thinks ALL stables should have TWO runners every race.! plenty of quality /exciting racing then ?

Maybe Philip got a 'stretch on the sidelines" after this incident below?   and never came back?

VERY Ironic with Allstars team driving 'Accusations' over the years ...lol.  

WAIKATO REINSMAN Philip Butcher will face a second charge of improper driving when the hearing into his tactics on Awesome Armbro in the New Zealand Free-For-All resumes on Thursday.

Butcher came in for vitriolic criticism after he attacked leader Auckland Reactor so mercilessly throughout the $250,000 feature that Awesome Armbro weakened dramatically, then broke turning in, finishing 77.5 lengths from the winner at Addington.

His stablemate Changeover (David Butcher), to which he gave one-one cover, could manage only third.

Stipendiary stewards initially charged Butcher with driving in a manner capable of diminishing the chances of his own horse winning, but were forced to adjourn their hearing when the driver failed to respond to their summons, leaving the course abruptly for a flight back to Auckland, where he had further drives.

After studying videos of the Geoff Small-trained horse's previous races, the stewards have now laid the further charge, presumably learning that the horse is never driven so aggressively – his sit-and-sprint style earned him second place in last year's free-for-all.

The connections of Auckland Reactor (fifth) had heated words with Butcher after the race and said he should be charged with team driving and an act detrimental to harness racing, given the public perception of the race run on one of the code's most high-profile days.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, eljay said:

Phil still shoeing in Cambridge area.     Very keen golfer.

Gave up Harness race driving for golf and because of a 'Dummy Spit ' it seems.  What a tragedy. Maybe he Should make a come back now that Allstars gone. ?

A Good horseman and racing is somewhat easier than shoeing all the time. Get some reward for effort.

Here's a 2018 extract with some Phil quotes :.............

I love my golf and I want to play a bit more of that – perhaps even try and qualify for a few tournaments.”

It’s been a quiet final season for Butcher – just nine winners – and he says he gets a feeling that perhaps the game has passed him by a bit.

A recent misconduct charge for an on-track verbal incident resulted in a $600 fine and that was seemingly the straw that broke the camel’s back.

“I promised myself that if I ever got charged again with something I didn’t deserve, I would finish up.

There have been plenty of highlights for the 52-year-old, though.

“Winning the Noel J Taylor Mile with Abdias for dad (John Butcher) was probably my proudest moment.

• Like 2

Yes Gamms I remember that. Must of been when I had just started following Harness Racing 2018. I remember thinking, why they do that, Kamikazi driving, oh dear, this is not going to end well. Then I read after, it was a young Jnr that was given driving instructions to maintain lead, think from memory on Wrangler, the other one name on tip of tongue. Butcher must of had same driving instructions. Eeck, felt terrible for the young Jnr to cope that abuse. It is all in the past now tho. And a void is there to fill. 

Feel like we might be missing someone what about a smaller stable or hobby trainers. 

Further Updated list:

M Purdon - Future

C Dalgety 

R Todd

T Chmiel 

B Purdon

S Reid

Hill

All Butcher Boys

A Black

J Morrison - Future

D O’Connell - on list due to having done an amazing job with keeping some of his team going for many starts. Record breaking stuff. 

A. Poutama

** Green/Telfer/Dunn/House already get their share of headlines so looking beyond.

Side-note tip don't date a bookie - giggles

Edited by Karrots
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, Karrots said:

remember thinking, why they do that, Kamikazi driving, oh dear, this is not going to end well. Then I read after, it was a young Jnr that was given driving instructions to maintain lead, think from memory on Wrangler, the other one name if on tip of tongue. Butcher must of had same driving instructions. Eeck, felt terrible for the young Jnr to cope that abuse.

3 years ago Karrots 23rd Feb . just watched the race. Max Phactor (Phil Butcher) attacking Wrangler like no tomorrow, only a 6 horse field too !!! Phil looked quite upset during the running even, put Wrangler to the sword down the backstraight altogeather (who ran distant last) Not a great drive by the junior at all , I'm afraid. sometimes one should yield. or maybe Phil could of yielded. Nice 1.54 mile rate win for Pats Delight the result !!!!  lol.....

WRANGLER been at Luke McCarthy's in Sydney since later on in 2018 ( 46 starts for 12 wins)

One year ago exactly he ran a 1.48.8 mile to win. Since then only 2 wins in past year for Wrangler??????? 

How hard is it to win when you have a horse that can run 1.48.8 and only win twice in following year?  CRAZY 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Gammalite said:

3 years ago Karrots 23rd Feb . just watched the race. Max Phactor (Phil Butcher) attacking Wrangler like no tomorrow, only a 6 horse field too !!! 

How did you find it that quickly Gamms, wow, well done. Did you like Kamikazi your way thru all the videos?

Like dis    searching k-pop GIF

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Karrots said:

How did you find it that quickly Gamms, wow, well done. Did you like Kamikazi your way thru all the videos?

Like dis    searching k-pop GIF

No,..... just looked up the horse Wrangler after you named him , and early 2018 races.

I've written about him (Wrangler) and Alta Orlando recently. Two great horses that from Always having ability (and injury) and having to race the best all the time , have just missed having Remarkable careers themselves. 

Example :- Just One week ago at Menangle result was ......................

KING OF SWING (champion) 1st  then daylight margin ,then ALTA ORLANDO 2nd ( potential champion who missed out)  then more daylight, followed by WRANGLER 3rd (sort of reduced to third rate citizen unluckily) ...then heaps of daylight to heap of Aus battlers.  three great ex-pat kiwis for sure !!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Gammalite said:

Was wondering where Philip Butcher got to , and so found this clipping from 2009.

What a Ripper !, love this stuff ....lol, someone taking it right up to Allstars on the big days ! 

Gammalite thinks ALL stables should have TWO runners every race.! plenty of quality /exciting racing then ?

Maybe Philip got a 'stretch on the sidelines" after this incident below?   and never came back?

VERY Ironic with Allstars team driving 'Accusations' over the years ...lol.  

WAIKATO REINSMAN Philip Butcher will face a second charge of improper driving when the hearing into his tactics on Awesome Armbro in the New Zealand Free-For-All resumes on Thursday.

Butcher came in for vitriolic criticism after he attacked leader Auckland Reactor so mercilessly throughout the $250,000 feature that Awesome Armbro weakened dramatically, then broke turning in, finishing 77.5 lengths from the winner at Addington.

His stablemate Changeover (David Butcher), to which he gave one-one cover, could manage only third.

Stipendiary stewards initially charged Butcher with driving in a manner capable of diminishing the chances of his own horse winning, but were forced to adjourn their hearing when the driver failed to respond to their summons, leaving the course abruptly for a flight back to Auckland, where he had further drives.

After studying videos of the Geoff Small-trained horse's previous races, the stewards have now laid the further charge, presumably learning that the horse is never driven so aggressively – his sit-and-sprint style earned him second place in last year's free-for-all.

The connections of Auckland Reactor (fifth) had heated words with Butcher after the race and said he should be charged with team driving and an act detrimental to harness racing, given the public perception of the race run on one of the code's most high-profile days.

Yes, in those days there was a lot of team driving far worse than what the All Stars are accused of but little said. Small and Premier Stables the main culprits.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Davis said:

Yes, in those days there was a lot of team driving far worse than what the All Stars are accused of but little said. Small and Premier Stables the main culprits.

Hahaha yeah 2 examples in this thread with Philip Butcher 'caught' in the deathseat in 6 horse fields......

not his finest drives ! by any stretch lol........hehehe 

Mark P would of given him a gobful in that NZ FFA with the 'kamikaze karrot' drive on AWESOME ARMBRO.

Then he gave a junior driver a gobful when Max Phactor couldn't get the lead ....lol....fun and games... 

• Like 1