Bit Of A Yarn

TV coverage of karaka sales

Digressing somewhat....I got so pissed off with trying to rejuvenate old reluctant has beens, that don't want to be runners any more ....and not having a wealthy client to buy a nice yearling or two, I went to Karaka 2013 armed with a very light wallet. 

I got one yearling and two weanlings for 500 each. All ended up winners.

So I had a brief period of feeling self-satisfied but ended up just as broke as before.

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, Freda said:

Digressing somewhat....I got so pissed off with trying to rejuvenate old reluctant has beens, that don't want to be runners any more ....and not having a wealthy client to buy a nice yearling or two, I went to Karaka 2013 armed with a very light wallet. 

So I had a brief period of feeling self-satisfied but ended up just as broke as before.

Weanling sale is still the best value sale , i got a half brother to horse that came out and won 2xG3 and a G2 in Sydney for $1200 , the guy i gave him to train hammered him trying to make a sale that he ended up with him bleeding as a 2yo , took him off him but he was never really the same , could gallop tho , ended up bleeding again . 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

12 hours ago, Freda said:

On top of that a trainer like yourself performances will be judged against those that buy millions of $s worth of new bloodstock every year and move them on at a whim. When in reality youre the very reason the industry retains some of its soul and its real horsemanship.

Unfortunately going forward the way the industry is being run trainers/owners like yourself will find it very difficult to compete neigh on survive , but this is all by design unfortunately. The powers that be believe KM night is going to sustain the industry , it won't.

• Like 2
  • Champ Post 1

The Aussie buyers with the exception of Mulcaster are very quiet, the pass ins a very damning, there are some lovely horses not getting anywhere near their reserve, this should be really worrying for the NZ breeders........the sales here on the coast were red hot, what's the problem in NZ?

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Joe Bloggs said:

The Aussie buyers with the exception of Mulcaster are very quiet, the pass ins a very damning, there are some lovely horses not getting anywhere near their reserve, this should be really worrying for the NZ breeders........the sales here on the coast were red hot, what's the problem in NZ?

The prolific Offshore  buyers are not on the grounds to inspect and purchase. Very few NZ agents meet offshore requirements re yearling selection , Mulcaster the obvious exception

Very smart business move by Waikato and Westbury to send some stock to MM

Edited by JJ Flash
  • Like 1

Have to say the NZ trainers are buying a lot more than usual thru the first 50/60 lots , certainly very few Aus names . Hopefully these horses are destined to stay in NZ to race , good for the local scene . K2 book will be interesting , might be a few specials .

• Like 1

I'm not sure that the Sales are tracking as badly as some online "experts" are suggesting.  From what I've witnessed having followed it for most of the day is that it is on par with last year.

Days seem to ebb and flow.  If you see a well bred yearling sell short it is often due to issues with X-rays and vet reports.  I've drilled down on a few and found that that was the case.

That said I think the overall quality is not as good as previous years.

Yep, the Aussies were siting pat, keeping their gunpowder dry, at 1-07 it's still not like it was a few years back, some lovely horses, and a lot cheaper than SYD Easter where the creme de la creme goes. If I was buying I'd use PC and BP for sure, even the NZB live stream has improved, is everything heading north, as in improving? Come in Huey?

1 hour ago, Joe Bloggs said:

Yep, the Aussies were siting pat, keeping their gunpowder dry, at 1-07 it's still not like it was a few years back, some lovely horses, and a lot cheaper than SYD Easter where the creme de la creme goes. If I was buying I'd use PC and BP for sure, even the NZB live stream has improved, is everything heading north, as in improving? Come in Huey?

Well I'm not as convinced as CS ( but as he pointed out he has got an eye for these sort of things) but 11 Savabeels sold , of which 4 sold for 120k or less , hardly exciting given his fee. 

You'd have to say most of the Almanzor vendors would be happy though , some pretty good prices off a 30k fee to date.

Congrats to who ever stole lot 39 , has Diesis head and looks like Pippie !

• Like 1

Make sure you tune in today at 1pm.  The first five lots today are crackers.  All well bred, correct and good lookers.  The next five aren't that bad either.  Certainly overall the draft today is a step up from yesterday.  Perhaps the end and beginning of the Alphabet has a better collection of mares!

• Like 1