Bit Of A Yarn

How to increase horse ownership ideas in NZ

Karrots

Eljay brought up a valid point yesterday on low North numbers yesterday. So how is this solved?

Any ideas put here. Could be rating changes ideas, or how to retain high class horses or increasing ownership ideas or whatever.

Thought about this how to increase ownership and the 1 idea I came up with was for clubs to start being more proactive. 

Get say 2 people ages 25-35 walk the crowds (inside and outside) every race day. Every person thru that gate is a potential future owner. The 2 people asking, if people are interested in being involved in a horse. If yes or maybe, then a follow up email from the club.

Including perhaps a video & also the benefits, eg 1. You could make friends, 2. You will be able to see your horse prior the race, 3. You will be invited into the special VIP (name of club) room to watch your horse race, 4. You will receive 10% off food/drink on race-days on course. 5. You get the entertainment of racing a horse, 6. You get the bragging rights to friends you own shares in a horse, etc.

Put big efforts in on big race days too, eg Camb Jewels, how many potential owners will be coming thru gates? They just don't know they are a potential owner, not until you give them that potential option.

Clubs could have 10 horses each with this strategy. And it brings a potential once off visitor potentially back on-course time and time again.

Have a variety of options and different share options from 5% to 25%. Have horses that are ready to race soon eg 6 weeks away from time of sign up. Advise that if they chose to move out of ownership they need to give 4 weeks notice, then hopefully there is a waitlist & the next person on the list fills there spot.

I know some clubs have a syndicate horse/s, think that might be from members & word of mouth. Not sure I have heard of them having people work the actual crowd on race-days too. Every race day. Just an idea 😁

Edited by Karrots
  • Like 1

Karrots - many of the clubs seem to be anti-active when it comes to such things.     Auckland have "given up" interest.    They always bought 3 or 4 yearlings at the sales and syndicated them but lately the number of people interested in these syndicates have dwindled.      This has meant after outlaying purchase price they have had to either carry the unsold portion of the purchase price or up the cost to those who have joined the syndicates.    Syndicates were 50 members but there have been unsold shares over the last years.     A great pity as many have been introduced to ownership through these syndicates.      The Palmie club I think syndicates one horse each season.     In the north many of the prominent trainers and breeders run syndication and these days this avenue appears to be the best avenue.     You may have seen for example the weekly advert in the Herald from Stonewall Stud.      The North Island Owners Association can always put prospective owners in the right direction too - Lisa Olsson is the secretary - they have a web site.       

Thanks for all that info Eljay. Im online about to log off. Just some more thoughts. 

My suggestion is horses that are ready to run, or ready to go eg 6 weeks ish max away from racing. Could go get them from the South, oppose them being sold to Oz. (Oppose getting yearling or weanling from sales. its def a long time to wait, I know, playing the waiting game). Look at less expensive avenues, paying $5-20k for a horse oppose going to sale and getting a horse $20-80k. Also they wont have to carry the cost if they get 1 that is ready to run. Why have Auckland given up? Is it because of the dwindled interest as costs too high & no result & or wait too long to see horse race? 

This is a solution to that. Aim for the general public. Why not? What would they have to lose by trying? You have potential owners heading in thru the gates every race meeting. It would be as simple as a follow up email. Lower the costs for the horses. Don't go to the big expensive stables to train, its about fun to be involved not prestige, go to some of the smaller, less expensive stables. Add in incentives eg discount when the come to watch horse race and viewing in a special room.

Stables don't have the benefit of public/people that could be causually directly/approached. Yes I saw that re Stonewall Stud, very smart and proactive of them. If you don't read the Herald would you know about that ad? Also much nicer to actually have 1 on 1 personal contact and talk to someone at the track in person, to make people feel comfortable & achievable.

For me if I was involved in a club where horse numbers where down and long-term could see this as a potential problem. This would be the 1st thing I would trial. See what the interest is from the general public that are on-course. Hit those rooms that Auckland has the ones they sell tables to work functions and groups etc. 

If you are part of the general public going to races for a once off or twice off and you have no idea and have never heard of the North Islands Owners Asso, which I never have until you have mentioned now, how would you even know to go ask there? Thanks for the reply and info tho E 👍

Edited by Karrots

23 hours ago, eljay said:

Karrots - many of the clubs seem to be anti-active when it comes to such things.     Auckland have "given up" interest.    

Another idea if clubs have given up interest, is hold a day in conjunction with a big race day meeting, eg NZ Cup or Jewels or those premier nites prior Xmas that get lots on-course. Or even grass track racing days.

To have up on the big screen have a short ownership interest video to play & even over the loud speaker similar to how it announces 4 mins til tote closes. Could announce that people walking the rooms taking emails if anyone is interested. Or even could hold a meeting a couple of times in-between races, people get a lil bored in-between races, why not offer a 5-7 min video or something on ownership and options & get emails those that are interested. 

If clubs don't want to do it themselves could draw from a hat so its fair who gets the email contacts. Then the trainers take over once the emails have been given so for example each trainer gets 20 emails each to follow up on. And then the next time another trainer gets them & so on. I don't know just thinking since you potentially have your target market right there at the track. They came to the track for a reason. Saves on advertising costs too.

I'm out of ideas now. 

I do not believe that there are too many people coming thru the race course gates nowadays, that havent got a horse racing or are associated with harness stables,

The punters have been turned off from going by the rules on wagering that the NZ TAB have adopted!

What is the point of the bigger punters turning up when they have to identify themselves and are limited to how much they can wager???

The amounts in the tote pools have dwindled significantly and the Bookies restrictions are also affecting turnover.

I wouldnt be believing of all the clap trap about betting increasing on harness coming out of the TAB!!!!

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Brodie said:

I do not believe that there are too many people coming thru the race course gates nowadays, that havent got a horse racing or are associated with harness stables,

The punters have been turned off from going by the rules on wagering that the NZ TAB have adopted!

What is the point of the bigger punters turning up when they have to identify themselves and are limited to how much they can wager???

The amounts in the tote pools have dwindled significantly and the Bookies restrictions are also affecting turnover.

I wouldnt be believing of all the clap trap about betting increasing on harness coming out of the TAB!!!!

I keep hearing about these free bets the TAB hands out. My mate Craig gets them all the time, but he almost always loses. I am not in your class as a punter Brodster but since Cup Day every time I have bet I have made money. Is this why I have not been offered free bets? Like you Brodie am I being punished for my success? 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

25 minutes ago, Brodie said:

Hey Brods,

Hear what you are saying on smaller meetings & smaller track days.

But all those thru the gates on NZ Cup day you think most have an association with a horse?

Also Jewels day?

Or New Years Eve racing day at Auckland?

Or those races at Alex in late Nov thru to Xmas in Dec at Alex?

Or even when you see those rooms all FULL of people, that have been sold tables, eg Top of the Park, or Tasman Room etc. Iv seen and they look like mostly corporates or people getting together for a bit of random once off entertainment type thing or attending as a work group. In-fact I have had 2 different friends, on 2 different occasions go there with 2 different work groups.

So maybe that might be the answer to target it to specific dates only and yes syndicate. 

Heck even the Lone Star Alex Park could have info on ownership visible to their customers.

Those grass track meetings too. They have huge crowds. I was mainly meaning North tho, as that is the problem area. But all round be good to get horse numbers back up by more ownership.

So what is the answer? This is the thread for ideas 😁

Edited by Karrots
  • Like 1

32 minutes ago, Karrots said:

Hey Brods,

Hear what you are saying on smaller meetings & smaller track days.

But all those thru the gates on NZ Cup day you think most have an association with a horse?

Also Jewels day?

Or New Years Eve racing day at Auckland?

Or those races at Alex in late Nov thru to Xmas in Dec at Alex?

Or even when you see those rooms all FULL of people, that have been sold tables, eg Top of the Park, or Tasman Room etc. Iv seen and they look like mostly corporates or people getting together for a bit of random once off entertainment type thing or attending as a work group. In-fact I have had 2 different friends, on 2 different occasions go there with 2 different work groups.

So maybe that might be the answer to target it to specific dates only and yes syndicate. 

Heck even the Lone Star Alex Park could have info on ownership visible to their customers.

Those grass track meetings too. They have huge crowds. I was mainly meaning North tho, as that is the problem area. But all round be good to get horse numbers back up by more ownership.

So what is the answer? This is the thread for ideas 😁

I can't comment on many of the race meetings you have mentioned but NZ Cup Day is not about harness racing. It is about being seen, dressing in new suits and dresses, getting pissed. Few are there for the spectacular harness racing that is on offer. True harness racing fans do not bother to go to the Cup Day anymore, we are excluded. The NZMEt is one of the few clubs making money and they make plenty on Cup Day so nothing will change.

• Champ Post 1

3 minutes ago, Davis said:

I can't comment on many of the race meetings you have mentioned but NZ Cup Day is not about harness racing. It is about being seen, dressing in new suits and dresses, getting pissed. Few are there for the spectacular harness racing that is on offer. True harness racing fans do not bother to go to the Cup Day anymore, we are excluded. 

Hey D,

That is the point, targeting newbies. Thousands of Potential Newbies. Even better with friends so if 1 joins then another 1 or 2 might be more incline too and everyone is happy and more in yes mode after having a couple of drinks.

I see it as an opportunity to at least present and ask the question.

Are they interested in being part of a horse syndicate? If no, then in same position than was in before with not asking, if yes then wala that was easy wasn't it 😁

On 2/12/2021 at 6:06 PM, Karrots said:

Hey D,

That is the point, targeting newbies. Thousands of Potential Newbies. Even better with friends so if 1 joins then another 1 or 2 might be more incline too and everyone is happy and more in yes mode after having a couple of drinks.

I see it as an opportunity to at least present and ask the question.

Are they interested in being part of a horse syndicate? If no, then in same position than was in before with not asking, if yes then wala that was easy wasn't it 😁

Unfortunately the rules around syndication make it very difficult to cold call on prospective members,  advertising without being registered and not breaking the rules isn't easy. Addington is going to hold another owners night in a few month's time ,you would be surprised by the lack of trainer participation. 

15 minutes ago, Unhinged said:

Unfortunately the rules around syndication make it very difficult to cold call on prospective members,  advertising without being registered and not breaking the rules isn't easy. Addington is going to hold another owners night in a few month's time ,you would be surprised by the lack of trainer participation. 

Wow thanks Unhinged for your input/info.

Isn’t it kind of like a business? A syndicate. I'm not super familiar, just got the general jist.

Never heard of such rules around businesses in sense of marketing or cold calling. I wouldn’t even call it cold calling, if they have volunteering come on your premise/track or even paid to come on your track.

What about goodie bags with info in them among other things? Those that pay to go into those pricey areas or book tables? Mind you 1/2 would leave them behind being too drunk. So could be given out as they exit.

There has to be a subtle way to do it at a track come big race meetinggs.

Great to hear Addington are pro-active re ownership, sounds like the opposite at Alex going on what Eljay says.

Interesting re trainers little input. Would of thought they would be wanting extra help re owner recruitment. 

(Maybe it's time to change these rule then) 😁 hehe

20 minutes ago, Karrots said:

Wow thanks Unhinged for your input/info.

Isn’t it kind of like a business? A syndicate. I'm not super familiar, just got the general jist.

Never heard of such rules around businesses in sense of marketing or cold calling. I wouldn’t even call it cold calling, if they have volunteering come on your premise/track or even paid to come on your track.

What about goodie bags with info in them among other things? Those that pay to go into those pricey areas or book tables? Mind you 1/2 would leave them behind being too drunk. So could be given out as they exit.

There has to be a subtle way to do it at a track come big race meetinggs.

Great to hear Addington are pro-active re ownership, sounds like the opposite at Alex going on what Eljay says.

Interesting re trainers little input. Would of thought they would be wanting extra help re owner recruitment. 

(Maybe it's time to change these rule then) 😁 hehe

Some of the rules are abit over the top but unfortunately owners do need to be protected from rogue managers. The basic rule is if you are taking any sort of management fee or commission you need to be registered,  which I strongly agree with. I do have a problem with not being able to advertise monthly fees and buy in price when you do it for nothing. I currently look after over 300 owners and yes some percentages are very small but with a bit of success and alot of communication I'm hoping they turn into bigger owners.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Unhinged said:

Some of the rules are abit over the top but unfortunately owners do need to be protected from rogue managers. The basic rule is if you are taking any sort of management fee or commission you need to be registered,  which I strongly agree with. I do have a problem with not being able to advertise monthly fees and buy in price when you do it for nothing. I currently look after over 300 owners and yes some percentages are very small but with a bit of success and alot of communication I'm hoping they turn into bigger owners.

Got it. When I say rule maybe changed, I mean rule on premise/track to approach, handout info or advertise to potential owners needs to be looked/reviewed, if it is currently not allowed. I view that a wasted opportunity if not allowed, the club should be allowed to hand out goodie bags on exit with get home safe options & ownership info. Those other rules you state yes agree need to be there. (I don't know about the advertising thing you mean - I thought Stonewall advertised in Herald and include fees . in-fact I have seen an ad of theirs once before). Maybe you mean something different.

300 holy crack-a-moly that is a lot. Go you. Your next aim is the 500 club hehe 😁👍

Big day sales day today, be interesting to see how it all goes, ownership interest, top lots etc 😁

PS businesses often try to get customers emails. The other day I brought a pair of earrings, when making payment the shop gal, asked for my email. I declined, because that is my right. As it would be anyone asked at a big race day. (It hasn't put me off going back to buy from that shop - Id just say no again re email).

You could get people that hand out race-books if they are interested on behalf of the club & if yes ask for email.

I don’t get how there is an issue with that, in the rule book. But obviously there is.

3 hours ago, Karrots said:

Got it. When I say rule maybe changed, I mean rule on premise/track to approach, handout info or advertise to potential owners needs to be looked/reviewed, if it is currently not allowed. I view that a wasted opportunity if not allowed, the club should be allowed to hand out goodie bags on exit with get home safe options & ownership info. Those other rules you state yes agree need to be there. (I don't know about the advertising thing you mean - I thought Stonewall advertised in Herald and include fees . in-fact I have seen an ad of theirs once before). Maybe you mean something different.

300 holy crack-a-moly that is a lot. Go you. Your next aim is the 500 club hehe 😁👍

Big day sales day today, be interesting to see how it all goes, ownership interest, top lots etc 😁

Stonewall are registered   I'm not purely because of costs to owners.1000 owners is the aim but maybe I'm dreaming, face book is handy but again you need to do it in a closed group if you want to put prices in.

On 12/02/2021 at 5:00 PM, Brodie said:

Game is too crooked now

22 hours ago, Unhinged said:

Stonewall are registered   I'm not purely because of costs to owners.1000 owners is the aim but maybe I'm dreaming, face book is handy but again you need to do it in a closed group if you want to put prices in.

Good luck with getting 1000 & no not dreaming. Took at look at your Facebook & some good videos & lots of views 👍😄

On a side note - while noticing that Stonewall took the top lot yesterday $300k, they also took the top lots at weanling sales at $52,500k & $50k. 

http://www.ownahorse.racing

What a fantastic idea. After reading Ranga’s new post thread, I started sniffing around Facebook found this, along with a great newspaper article - founder A Fitzgerald.

They will just have to drive outside traffic to site.

Some Karrots ideas to help,

* Could look into insta influences or anyone in age bracket 30-50 with a high following on Facebook to put up a couple of posts, and in exchange to keep costs down, as they charge per post usually, they could be gifted a 2.5% - 5 % share in a horse. That way, along the way when horse wins they might do another post on it 😁

* Or get a well known NZ person - with no connection to racing with high social media following to do the same thing. A fun idea might be have them do a short video that is funny, script needs to involve horse/s & be short eg 30 sec max 1 min. Short funny videos can result in lots of shares.

Edited by Karrots

2 hours ago, Karrots said:

http://www.ownahorse.racing

* Or get a well known NZ person - with no connection to racing with high social media following to do the same thing. A fun idea might be have them do a short video that is funny, script needs to involve horse/s & be short eg 30 sec max 1 min. Short funny videos can result in lots of shares.

Fitzgerald - here is a 45 second - 1 minute short funny video idea. Just very quickly off top of my head.

Get a NZ well - known with a big social media following.

Title could be “When you GF plans a surprise for your Bday

Have the wife/GF play along. Plan it with her, (make it a surprise for him), he only knows that they will be filmed for something special she has organised. But he doesn’t know what. So kind of like a hidden video but not.

Have her dress up looking nice & film her saying to him, "for your Bday she has planned something different & special".

She could say “she will bring along her favourite boots”, she could even grab a whip and say “hmm maybe I bring this” and give him a wink and also she could pick up a blind fold and “say and I will for sure bring this”.

Cut to them driving somewhere & focus on his face expressions looking happy/excited - he has in his mind maybe sexy time hehe.

Then have him blind folded just prior they drive up the horsey ranch. Keep him blind folded while bringing out the horse. Have her take off the blind fold and in-front of him is the horse.

Have her say “I got you this horse”. Then she says “yeah 5% share in this horse - don't you just love him/her" 😁

Zoom in on his face expressions. Hopefully it is priceless.

Then a link to the website to pop up at the end of the video.

Have him post it and hopefully it gets lots of shares, views and traction to website ownahorse.racing

Edited by Karrots

On 12/02/2021 at 5:04 PM, Davis said:

I keep hearing about these free bets the TAB hands out. My mate Craig gets them all the time, but he almost always loses. I am not in your class as a punter Brodster but since Cup Day every time I have bet I have made money. Is this why I have not been offered free bets? Like you Brodie am I being punished for my success? 

yes a couple of winning weeks and no text or email saying deposit 150 and get a 70 bonus bet or deposit 100 and get a 50 bonus bet

29 minutes ago, Rangatira said:

yes a couple of winning weeks and no text or email saying deposit 150 and get a 70 bonus bet or deposit 100 and get a 50 bonus bet

Oh Ranga you getting the big time bonus bet offer.  Karrots only gets the small offer. Must be due to the $1 each way 😂

Another idea last Karrots idea for Fitzgerald - could do that video with multiple people, scenes/script filmed exact same, but all at different locations their homes getting ready & in car on way there. Then all at the same time for example meet at horse location at eg 3pm and they all get out of their individual cars, & all filmed walking up with blindfolds to same horse. As they ALL have 5% share in the same horse 😄 Filming could just be homemade on ph cameras & available online editing tools to use. To keep production costs down.

That way they will ALL share the video which would result in more views/shares etc 😄

Edited by Karrots