Bit Of A Yarn

Easter Cup A Team (Gamms) Vs The Others (Karrots)

Karrots

Just something for fun and to cheer/root for & a bit of banter 😁

A Team - Team Captain Gamms - Self Assured/Amazing Dream/Spankem

The Others - Team Captain Karrots - Pembrook Playboy/Vintage Cheddar/Henry Hubert/AG’s White Socks - shame U May Cullect has been scratched.

3 points for a win, 2 points for a 2nd and 1 point for a 3rd.

Team with most points wins.

The Others team has an advantage of starting ahead of the A-Team. Also if they hold the inside marker line (means Gamms A-Team has to cover even more extra ground) & no kamikazi racing early against each other "others". Also 1 or 2 of the A-Team can be hit or miss stand starters. BUT Gamms A-Team are Super Star performers and they are after all the A-TEAM. 

No letting anyone from Gamms (A Team) get back to the markers, once they make a forward move. Hold the rail inside line, so its lead/trail/3 back/4 back “Others”.

Don't let anyone from Gamms team take lead. If 1 of our “Others” team mates gets attacked like the last Open Class race (AGs White Socks), then another “Other” team mate, MUST come around from the back & take the lead from him asap, before someone else from Gamms team challenges again. Give that horse cover. Can rinse and repeat as necessary. Like team pursuit hehe. Can even slow down, then speed up when someone from Gamms team comes on the move hehe. Ideally we need to have 1 from our Others Team to be saved as a swooper that doesn’t get used at all during the race.

Gamms over to you for your team strategy tactics as Captain of the A-Team 😁

Anyone can join in too btw 😁 Go The Others 😁

Dance Party Dancing GIF by Cameo

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Happy Easter to you Karrots!! and is that hubby dressing as the Bunny Boy for you ? hahaha

Team Nat tactics will quietly and effortlessly result in a 1-2-3 for the A -Team . despite the handicaps. 2 miles. nice !!

Remember the NZ Cup trifecta? to easy. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, Gammalite said:

Happy Easter to you Karrots!! and is that hubby dressing as the Bunny Boy for you ? hahaha

Team Nat tactics will quietly and effortlessly

I know, she is in my Top 5 drivers, along with Z Butcher & T Williams. 

I’m hoping ALL in my Others Team go away from the stand, even if its slowly thats ok, as long as they all go away 20 metre start.

Need ALL 4 in race. Can’t get it down to 3v3.

Happy Easter back to you & to Y'all 😁

Stop Motion Flowers GIF by Hallmark Gold Crown

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Gammalite said:

the NZ Cup 

Was just thinking, wonder who is up and coming to replace when Amazing Dream eventually goes to Oz then States. Think saw One Change is back on spell from Oz campaign, does anyone else know of any other potential up and comers from stable potential Cup starters for next year?

On another note saw Fabrizio is back well won a workout. He is a horse I follow Gamms, in Dalgety stable. He’s Sweet Lou 4y-o. For a bit of background on him Gamms, he’s hit or miss horse. Seemed to have mind prob or something. At his first 2 starts he was hot fav & broke up.

Remember a video I think it was an N Purdon interview when asked if they would possibly give him a Cup Nom it was a well maybe if he continued improving last year, but he was ultimately sent out for a spell. He’s back older now, so interested to see if he has improved or not …

Good to have another possible FFA class horse to fill the ranks anyway.

Hey where is everyone? 1 more sleep then Easter Cup. Come on Gamms where is the banter? Or even Eljay I know you both like your stable driving. Iv been thinking about it and I'm happy with my Others team. See Pembroke Playboy beat Self Assured last time out No? Self Assured sat parked while PP had trail. Big run by AGs white socks last start no after being attacked twice in lead by 2 from same stable. (Altho I recognize that was NOT planned).

Karrots will spit the dummy if my Others Team gives up the rail line or gives lead away to Gamms team. Or if 1 of my Others team gets attacked twice without someone from Others team coming to give cover. It will be OVER should they do that. Trifecta to the A-Team. Hoping the "others" recognizes that the ones to beat are in Gamms A-Team, so make them cover extra ground. Push out too if need be at the right time. If someone from my Others team doesnt get a favourable run this time, come on there is next time (their turn) isn't that the saying.

Come on Others. Make a race of it. Give your horse it's best chance as you know you will be racing against a team. Be smart.  And good luck!

Karrots everyone just contemplating what a great betting card  at Addington Saturday night!

Personally after looking at the fixed odds there is only one horse all night that is paying odds that are worth taking.

Motukarara fields Monday arvo are far better but then it ks going to be a very difficult day, as the track ks going to be on the slow side you would think!

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Brodie said:

Karrots everyone just contemplating what a great betting card  at Addington Saturday night!

Personally after looking at the fixed odds there is only one horse all night that is paying odds that are worth taking.

Motukarara fields Monday arvo are far better but then it ks going to be a very difficult day, as the track ks going to be on the slow side you would think!

Who is the horse worth the odds taking? I'm wanting to buy me an Easter egg on special with this selection dividend 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Brodie said:

what a great betting card  at Addington Saturday night!

Unfortunately No betting on Addington in Qld on TAB or Sportsbet whatsoever , so have no idea of odds for anything.

15 gallops meetings are on. The $1.5 million TANCRED stakes on at Rosehill. 

A great kiwi trainers race this year !! (current and former) Spend $1 on this kiwi First 4 for a Great chance.

Melody Belle - Sound - Mirage Dancer - The Chosen One.  

• Like 1

On 4/2/2021 at 7:21 PM, Karrots said:

Karrots will spit the dummy if my Others Team gives up the rail line or gives lead away to Gamms team. It will be OVER should they do that. Trifecta to the A-Team. 

Come on Others. Make a race of it. Give your horse it's best chance as you know you will be racing against a team. Be smart. 

Congrats Gamms you take the win. A thumping 6 points to ZERO. Your drivers took the initiative as they always do & as a result walked ALL over my team. 

How exasperating.

animation baby GIF by Rough Sketchz

Another big shout out to R May for his drive last start on AG White Socks, shows he has balls! 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Karrots said:

Congrats Gamms you take the win. A thumping 6 points to ZERO. Your drivers took the initiative as they always do & as a result walked ALL over my team. 

How exasperating.

animation baby GIF by Rough Sketchz

Another big shout out to R May for his drive last start on AG White Socks, shows he has balls! 

The Cullen stable  drivers simply out drove the others. The best of the opposition  was pembrooks playboy. Nathan williamson ,normally a top driver,seemed to be in awe of the cullen horses and really gave away the advantage he had with the 20m start by showing early in the race he would take a trail,then seemed happy to become boxed in over the last lap. So all in all,a very tame race .

As to ricky may having balls the week before.  Well he refused to give the lead when it looked likely that self assured when keep the lead due to the others settling back,and effectively May ruined his own chances.

So really the drivers of the opposition to the cullen trained horses simply made poor tactical decisions for the second week in a row in my opinion.

17 minutes ago, the galah said:

As to ricky may having balls the week before.  Well he refused to give the lead when it looked likely that self assured when keep the lead due to the others settling back,and effectively May ruined his own chances.

So really the drivers of the opposition to the cullen trained horses simply made poor tactical decisions for the second week in a row in my opinion.

M Purdon and N Rass in general do not kamikazi drive. Infact I struggle to think of a time either of them have, they cool off, restrain soon after, so not to stuff their horse. They are smart. Purdon pushed for a lil bit longer than he usually does on Self A.

Having balls is the term I have chosen to use when May refused to give up the lead, knowing if he did, he most likely would be beat anyway. And a high chance as happens in many races another stable runner will come around and take the lead so end up 3 back or possibly further back etc.

AJs would of been fine, had Nat not come and attacked him. Unfortunetly she is smart and there to win, so she did.

I think Im over watching those elite open class races when there is more than 2 from a stable, no point. The Others don’t seem to get it. And don’t seem to want to counter it or join forces to a degree. So just be same result different day. 

Re Williamson, he had a fab nite, and obviously a great horseman. I was and still quite shocked and disappointed he handed up so easily and quickly. Not talking thru my pocket or anything at all either. Just wanted them any of the Others to do well. 

Edited by Karrots
  • Like 2

19 minutes ago, Karrots said:

M Purdon and N Rass in general do not kamikazi drive. Infact I struggle to think of a time either of them have, they cool off, restrain soon after, so not to stuff their horse. They are smart. Purdon pushed for a lil bit longer than he usually does on Self A.

Having balls is the term I have chosen to use when May refused to give up the lead, knowing if he did, he most likely would be beat anyway. And a high chance as happens in many races another stable runner will come around and take the lead so end up 3 back or possibly further back etc.

AJs would of been fine, had Nat not come and attacked him. Unfortunetly she is smart and there to win, so she did.

I think Im over watching those elite open class races when there is more than 2 from a stable, no point. The Others don’t seem to get it. And don’t seem to want to counter it or join forces to a degree. So just be same result different day. 

Re Williamson, he had a fab nite, and obviously a great horseman. I was and still quite shocked and disappointed he handed up so easily and quickly. Not talking thru my pocket or anything at all either. Just wanted them any of the Others to do well. 

Hey about a year ago AG's WhiteSocks beat Mark (Self Assured) and Nat(Chase Akld) into 2nd and 3rd in GROUP 1 Ballarat Cup by leading and not handing up so fully agree , well worth a go last week by Ricky. AG seems out of sorts this time in.

The Galah was saying Pembrook handed up a bit easy , which seems right. Could of been more 'DARING" But what do you do ? He finished on very stylishly for 4th, and is a lovely horse. and not flattened like AG either. and it turned into 'Tame' race as he said , while were Cullens controlling lead and outside leader. 

Handicaps should be 'harder' to win off, but small field was just 'too easy' for classy operators like Mark and Nat.

Tonight  , one of their former horses OUR PRINCESS TIFFANY ,who has won 5 of her last 6 starts , tried to win Tasmanian Easter Cup , as the favourite , off the Backmark of 30m , but in a big field and out 3-wide the last lap faded to 5th.  Leader won.

Poor Pembrook at Addington didn't have the big field like that to get advantage of the 'Head start" on Cullens, unfortunately.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Gammalite said:

Hey about a year ago AG's WhiteSocks beat Mark (Self Assured) and Nat(Chase Akld) into 2nd and 3rd in GROUP 1 Ballarat Cup by leading and not handing up so fully agree , well worth a go last week by Ricky. AG seems out of sorts this time in.

The Galah was saying Pembrook handed up a bit easy , which seems right. Could of been more 'DARING" But what do you do ? He finished on very stylishly for 4th, and is a lovely horse. and not flattened like AG either. and it turned into 'Tame' race as he said , while were Cullens controlling lead and outside leader. 

Handicaps should be 'harder' to win off, but small field was just 'too easy' for classy operators like Mark and Nat.

Tonight  , one of their former horses OUR PRINCESS TIFFANY ,who has won 5 of her last 6 starts , tried to win Tasmanian Easter Cup , as the favourite , off the Backmark of 30m , but in a big field and out 3-wide the last lap faded to 5th.  Leader won.

Poor Pembrook at Addington didn't have the big field like that to get advantage of the 'Head start" on Cullens, unfortunately.

Looking at facts, going into such a race if I was a driver. I would know that IF I have the lead, and I get challenged and hand up, I will most likely end further back than the trail on a horse if there are 2 or more A-team runners. I also know that both Mark and Nat do not kamikazi drive therefore the lead attack will most likely not be a sustained one. This I can also get from previous video footage to show me this as a fact.

I also go in with the power of knowledge as being a fact from previous races and videos that the A-team have been and most likely will be my strongest competitors. So I need to hold an advantage over them, not give them an advantage over me.

I give this info to 10 year olds. And ask them a question.

I am on a horse in lead, get challenged by an A-team runner, what do I do?

Back to the May drive, I believe but could be wrong as it did not play out, that he did not distinquish his chances when he didn’t hand up the 1st time to Self A. It was the attack the 2nd time by Nat A Dream, that blew a top 3 finish for him. But by holding the lead, he gave the trail (other) horse a chance for a top 3 finish. Unfortuntetly as per stripe report it was sick. So that run was not able to be utilize.

What happens next time AG and May have lead, being smart people Mark would think twice about challenging for the lead again, also Nat same thing if it was up to her to challenge straight up without anyone else prior having a crack.

Think AG’s and May won a couple of Interdom heats in Auckland in front too.

What happens next time Pembroke and Williams are in front, will Mark and Nat go in and attack?, most likely they will give it a crack after last nite lead was there. Nothing to put them off.

Anyway hats off to Nat & Mark. They take the opportunities that are handed to them. 

10 hours ago, Gammalite said:

I agree that the bigger the field the harder it is for those off handicaps.

But if you look at the official times,Williamson ran the 800m between the 2800m and 2000m in 1.02.7.  That made it easy for those off the handicaps to make up the ground without over exerting themselves. Then,it was his choice to stay 3 back the fence and effectively box himself in,knowing the likely outcome was he would get out too late. I say he did this because he thought the others were better than him,and despite it being a group 1,$90,000 race,he didn't want to over tax his horse. Well his thinking may be fair enough,but that tactical negativity by under driving his horse got the result it deserved and will be noted by his future opponents.

As i have said before,i don't think the cullen trained horses currently have the "run forever' factor. They get tired just like any other horse. They are well trained but they are beatable, just like all the rest.

As to AG'S whitesocks. The Hopes are very good trainers,but this horse has not won when trained in canterbury for 2 years. He had a form reversal and won when trained by barry purdon at the interdominions and won in australia about 18 months ago,but apart from that has only managed to run 2 placings in races that only had  5 and 6 runners in the last 2 years. One thing you can always bank on with him as well is 90% of the time he breaks in stands. He really needs to race in mobiles and not against the horses he ran against last night to get back to winning form.

Edited by the galah
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, Karrots said:

Forgot to mention too, that by handing up the lead. Instantly not only gave away his horses chances it also gave away ALL the "Others" that were in behind him too ☹️ 

Yes,dunn on henry hubert also gave his horse no chance. Electing to sit 4 back the fence,knowing it was turning into a sprint home,meant he too had decided he was just there to make up the numbers.

• Like 1

The Premier meeting races are not always that exciting.

The tight class racing is normally very over rated!

I take it that Purdon/Rasmussen are still totally involved with the day to day running of the stable, so much for taking time off!

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Brodie said:

The Premier meeting races are not always that exciting.

The tight class racing is normally very over rated!

I take it that Purdon/Rasmussen are still totally involved with the day to day running of the stable, so much for taking time off!

The premier racing which has small fields dominated by 2 or 3 stables isn't that exciting to watch.

Its always good to see a good horse run in the flesh,but when watching them on tv it does little to raise the excitement levels if the races are meekly handed to the better horses. 

I don't know whether purdon/rasmussen have too much to do the cullen stable. Obviously purdon still does a little. But whatever the reason for Rasmussen cutting back on involvement,she's still their number 1 asset as far as the driving goes.

Personally i think they should have more 2600m races,as the 1980 races are too much of the same thing.

Edited by the galah
  • Like 2

27 minutes ago, the galah said:

Yes,dunn on henry hubert also gave his horse no chance. Electing to sit 4 back the fence,knowing it was turning into a sprint home,meant he too had decided he was just there to make up the numbers.

Prob realized as I did when watching instantly it was OVER, for him and ALL the "others" when lead was handed up. So why bother smashing your horse after that. Quiet run to hit the line makes sense. 

Would they take on Classic B if he was in the front or Copy That. They certainly would think about it. They will likely think about it too next time AGs is infront. Learned behaviour. What can or can't be done. 

I think they Purdon-Rass are smart.

Latest Boxseat they spoke about them having a bit more involvement. The wording was "un-official stable-hand", "so punters can go into a race knowing that".

I still believe they are beatable. But the "Others" need to be smarter. And work in together with each "Other" more.

Edited by Karrots

Well are you there to try,or there to give it a quiet run? It was  a group 1 after all.

Dunns drive was  more negative than williamson. When Tim Williams moved up on Spankem,you could see he waited for dunn to move out on henry hubert. Why did he do that,well obviously because thats what williams would have done had he been driving henry hubert. Williams clearly had not expected Dunn to be so negative. Still we can analyse any race i suppose,just this one easier with its small numbers and good drivers having a pre race mindset which resulted in their negative tactical decisions.

To be honest Galahs I didn't bother paying much attention to all horses placement the split second it was obvious the lead was gone. I had wanted & willed for as per my earlier posts, the "Others" to hold the rail line and lead.

They didn't. It was over and as I said it will be a trifecta to the A-Team if they give the lead away and don't hold the rail line. The rail line was given to A-Team as well as the lead and the trifecta. No I do not hold fault with Dunn. Anyways moving on.

On 4/1/2021 at 7:19 PM, Karrots said:

The Others team has an advantage of starting ahead of the A-Team. Also if they hold the inside marker line (means Gamms A-Team has to cover even more extra ground) 

No letting anyone from Gamms (A Team) get back to the markers, once they make a forward move. Hold the rail inside line, so its lead/trail/3 back/4 back “Others”.

Don't let anyone from Gamms team take lead.

On 4/2/2021 at 7:21 PM, Karrots said:

Karrots will spit the dummy if my Others Team gives up the rail line or gives lead away to Gamms team. It will be OVER should they do that. Trifecta to the A-Team. 

Come on Others. Make a race of it. Give your horse it's best chance as you know you will be racing against a team. Be smart.  And good luck!

On 2/04/2021 at 9:44 PM, Brodie said:

Did this horse come in Brodie????

Because you didnt respond, I couldn't afford an Easter egg this year 😭😭. I hope you are happy with yourself! 🤣

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, Roman said:

Did this horse come in Brodie????

Because you didnt respond, I couldn't afford an Easter egg this year 😭😭. I hope you are happy with yourself! 🤣

Yeah it ran 3rd not bad fixed place odds, but I didnt end up backing it as restrictions were too harsh a d so didnt bother after that!

Enthusiasm for punting comes and goes nowadays and if the NZ TAB dont want punters then I will not play  their silly games!

They should be encouraging punters to offload rather than stopping them from offloading.

• Like 1