Bit Of A Yarn

Rangiora 1390 metre races

LongOwner

1 hour ago, LongOwner said:

I thought they were good - variety and great to see horses winning from the back .

Good to have something different - Addington 1980 PBD is getting very repetitious/boring 

Lets have some 752 metre stands and some 923metre mobiles!

Yeah lets have variety, trotters against pacers, good drivers against poor drivers!

What about races run in reverse, the world is our oyster,

If they are going to program these short races as a way of attracting punting, they are delusional!

• Like 3
  • Champ Post 1
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, Brodie said:

Lets have some 752 metre stands and some 923metre mobiles!

Yeah lets have variety, trotters against pacers, good drivers against poor drivers!

What about races run in reverse, the world is our oyster,

If they are going to program these short races as a way of attracting punting, they are delusional!

Until we see the numbers who knows what punters thought. I quite enjoyed the racing but the contra is  Tabcorp did not bother to offer any markets on any races there. Tells you something doesn't it about what Ozzies think of NZ harness when they did manage greys from Manakau- what say you Chief

Edited by JJ Flash
  • Like 1

55 minutes ago, Rangatira said:

what tracks have you identified for this ?

Addington!

It doesnt matter where you program the starts from, have them on bends, lets just try everything it seems!

Bad starting points make things interesting and gives variety some think?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JJ Flash said:

Until we see the numbers who knows what punters thought. I quite enjoyed the racing but the contra is  Tabcorp did not bother to offer any markets on any races there. Tells you something doesn't it about what Ozzies think of NZ harness when they did manage greys from Manakau- what say you Chief

Jj, it is shite and you cannot defend this crap programming!

Maybe Auckland can race the correct way around just for a bit of variety??

You only had to look at Trackside yesterday to see that there was next to no one oncourse yesterday at Rangiora.

You would have to have your head in the sand if you think that harness is going ahead.

Poor stakes, poor oncourse attendance and poor TAB tote pools and poor Bookies that do not want to take your bets!!!!!!

They can post about increased turnover on harness but most people know it is just BS!

There is buggerall new punters on harness and existing punters nkt wagering anywhere near what they used to.

1 minute ago, Rangatira said:

not a fan

if they wanted sprint races yesterday they should have had three 1390m races and no mile race

Sack the dickhead who programmed those races yesterday.

The mile race, the horses drawn the outside of both lines scratched.

JJ said the fields were full for the 1390m races, off course they had starters as owners need horses racing to try and recoup the massive training costs nowadays!

Racing for $8k nowadays is disastrous.

They were racing for this amount 30 years ago!!!

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Rangatira said:

if they go down this track the races need to be started in the home straight for maximum crowd appeal

Crowd appeal?

Ranga, they dont care about crowds anymore!

No one goes oncourse anymore unless you are an owner or work with the horses!

Punters arent bothering to go oncourse nowadays as it is not offering anything!

Punters that used to go have been driven away for several reasons and unless they change things dramatically the industry is dead!

Sad but very true.

1 minute ago, Rangatira said:

nah rowe cup was 125k when idle scott 1990 and gee du jour 1991 won it

What were horses running for in 1990 at Addington in an average race?

Costs now related to what you can win is out of sync big time!

2 minutes ago, Brodie said:

What were horses running for in 1990 at Addington in an average race?

Costs now related to what you can win is out of sync big time!

i see what you mean

you mean like maidens and c1 and c2 horses ?

Edited by Rangatira

1 minute ago, Brodie said:

Lol, great to hear!

Was it an enjoyable experience for you Ranga?

it was positive on multiple levels

kind of you to ask

i had planned to go yesterday but i didn't want the programme to be put back while they sourced another ambo if i failed to cope with the added excitement

• Haha 2

Just now, Rangatira said:

i see what you mean

you mean like maidens and c1 and c2 horse ?

Yep.

There is no way you can make money racing horses here, that is why owners need to sell overseas.

When it costs $2500k per month training min, and you are collecting under $4k for winning  a race, clearly you are on a hiding to nothing.

I love the harness racing industry, however things are unfortunately looking pretty dire.

As the current owners who have been lifetime enthusiasts move on to greener pastures, there is no way at the moment that it is going to have nee owners coming thru.

The racing family generation thing with  harness racing is not happening like it  used to.

You only have to look at the Juniors race at Methven today!

Half the field is male and half is female.

There are not enough males coming thru the Junior ranks and many leave after they are out of the Junior ranks as there is no future in it for them.

Have a look at the North Island Juniors, they are barely surviving and only because of South Island Juniors who have moved up there.

Harness racing is a great sport but is seriously in trouble.

TAB is certainly not helping either

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Brodie said:

You only have to look at the Juniors race at Methven today!

Half the field is male and half is female.

There are not enough males coming thru the Junior ranks and many leave after they are out of the Junior ranks as there is no future in it for them.

lets hope nobody calls you sexist

1 hour ago, Rangatira said:

if they go down this track the races need to be started in the home straight for maximum crowd appeal

What about a 200m standing start sprint on the home straight? Six starters with a straight dash to the line. Let's run two, one for pacers, one for trotters, on NZ Cup Day at Addington, I'm sure the drunks on course would appreciate such races.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

43 minutes ago, Davis said:

What about a 200m standing start sprint on the home straight? Six starters with a straight dash to the line. Let's run two, one for pacers, one for trotters, on NZ Cup Day at Addington, I'm sure the drunks on course would appreciate such races.

my money would be on ashley knight and tussle

• Haha 1