Bit Of A Yarn

Rangiora 1390 metre races

LongOwner

4 hours ago, Brodie said:

You would have to have your head in the sand if you think that harness is going ahead.

I've said for ages its in massive decline, poor governance , lack of leadership and run as an amateur sport . Further, that's not even beginning to talk about the  lack of integrity.

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, JJ Flash said:

I've said for ages its in massive decline, poor governance , lack of leadership and run as an amateur sport . Further, that's not even beginning to talk about the  lack of integrity.

You should duplicate this post on the Thoroughbred and Greyhound forums.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

33 minutes ago, Chief Stipe said:

You should duplicate this post on the Thoroughbred and Greyhound forums.

Does this mean you agree with me , previously you said i only posted  fake news blah blah

Your obviously ignoring my earlier post about Tabcorp not even posting odds on Rangiora meeting yesterday. 

Edited by JJ Flash
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, JJ Flash said:

Does this mean you agree with me , previously you said i only posted  fake news blah blah

Your obviously ignoring my earlier post about Tabcorp not even posting odds on Rangiora meeting yesterday. 

Posting fake news again I see!

No but if you are going to call Harness an amateur sport run by amateurs then you have to say the same about Thoroughbreds and Greyhounds in NZ.

Take the Thoroughbreds for instance - on Saturday we had track staff having a lie down on the track during a 2 yr old race at our No 1 Premier Galloping Track.  At Riverton we have a 1,600m Jumps race turned into a 2000m flat race for Amateur riders!

All three codes are showing a massive decline and poor governance.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, JJ Flash said:

Prove it?? or is it only one way traffic for you

Jj, the Dogs are the target of the Greenies and do gooders as you must know!

With Swarbrick and Tubby on the warpath they can wile Greyhound racing off our calendar before National overturn it.

They are such a total bunch of dropkicks but 50% of the population support the dropkicks!

• Like 2
  • Champ Post 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Brodie said:

Jj, the Dogs are the target of the Greenies and do gooders as you must know!

With Swarbrick and Tubby on the warpath they can wile Greyhound racing off our calendar before National overturn it.

They are such a total bunch of dropkicks but 50% of the population support the dropkicks!

whos tubby? lol! Grant robertson? I suppose its a better description than horsehead as my neighbour describes jacinda, not very original but horsehead and tubby sounds like an adult cartoon.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, whiplash smile said:

whos tubby? lol! Grant robertson? I suppose its a better description than horsehead as my neighbour describes jacinda, not very original but horsehead and tubby sounds like an adult cartoon.

Tubby is a flattering name for Robertson.

What he is doing to NZ is an absolute shocker but people think he is KIND!

The sooner the sheep wake up to these incompetents the better as  they are going to be making your lives so much worse than they are currently.

Ardern and Tubby are so out of depth with everything it is ridiculous and yet they got voted back in???
The biggest underachievers we have ever had in Parliament.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

22 minutes ago, Brodie said:

Robertson

Ardern

Wonder if they will be in the Cambridge Jewels VIP room ...

On a different but similar not, Cambridge should target the likes of J Gordon-Levitt. A friend of mine, worked with him in LA & she was star stuck even tho she is sister-in-law to someone famous herself. He's in NZ Wellington and apparently really nice down-to-earth guy. 

Names like this, if could get in attendance to Jewels on the down-low, one would think give much needed positive publicity. 

Sunglasses Influencer GIF by Your Happy Workplace

Edited by Karrots
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, JJ Flash said:

JJ , I'm deeply troubled by the thought of yourself not seeing a future for harness racing. Bad enough the disgruntled Punter Brodie gives every little change or innovation the thumbs down , because he can't get a bet on , but both of you are knowledgeable chaps as regards to the history/ status of harness racing.

Why cannot folk like you come up with POSITIVE ideas to keep the game afloat?? Ranga attended a meeting recently and almost got shot down in flames ? that was funny , but Good On Ya Ranga !!!! people like you and Karrots are needed as still want to go and support the industry. 

As a teenage kid I went along to support, and even sold these Rosettes at Alexandra Park for $2 a pop, as loved the game , and anything to stimulate support is amazing. !!

DSC_0593.JPG

• Like 2
  • Champ Post 1

26 minutes ago, Gammalite said:

JJ , I'm deeply troubled by the thought of yourself not seeing a future for harness racing. Bad enough the disgruntled Punter Brodie gives every little change or innovation the thumbs down , because he can't get a bet on , but both of you are knowledgeable chaps as regards to the history/ status of harness racing.

Why cannot folk like you come up with POSITIVE ideas to keep the game afloat?? Ranga attended a meeting recently and almost got shot down in flames ? that was funny , but Good On Ya Ranga !!!! people like you and Karrots are needed as still want to go and support the industry. 

As a teenage kid I went along to support, and even sold these Rosettes at Alexandra Park for $2 a pop, as loved the game , and anything to stimulate support is amazing. !!

DSC_0593.JPG

OMG G, that is so adorable. Go you.

Re Gordon-Levitt, its not so far-fetched if he is free that weekend. Check out his latest interview from NZ like to 1 of those popular USA TV shows. He heaped praised on Ardern for Covid response, as many of the Hollywood big shots do. If she is attending with Roberston for e.g and Cambridge slip him or his publicist a PM an invite, stating they would be in VIP area, no photos are allowed in that area for example. Also too even if Ardern wasn't attending, for someone like him being here now and being able to attend an event as such while his country is in lockdown etc, and he chose to come here to leave that specially, he would appreciate it and it would be a NZ experience for him, a potential once in a life-time thing to do while he is here. 

Food for thought anyway.

Edited by Karrots
  • Like 2
  • Sad 1

Gammalite, there are some good things still in harness racing.

The reality is that that harness has gone backwards significantly unfortunately in recent years!

This damage that has been caused by several things need to be addressed so that harness racing in NZ has got a future.

Auckland has trouble getting full fields and struggling big time in encouraging new owners trainers and juniors!

Watched something on Trackside that had Ray Green saying how bad it was in Auckland and how it was impossible for young people to be able to afford land to train.

We have had the TAB hierarchy continue to make utterly stupid financial decisions to the point where they were basically broke and needed tax payer bailout.

They are still hooked into the lemon of the betting platform that they purchased and the noose around their neck must be very uncomfortable.

Of course I have a bitter opinion of the way the TAB treats punters differently, and if you were treated differently then I would presume you would not be happy about it as well.

They state that turnover on harness is increasing on harness racing but I say BS!
Punters are having their bets severely restricted, the tote win and place pools are a fraction of what they used to be and the on course patrons are negilable.

TAb agencies are few and far between and there are very few punters at the Pub Tabs if you have a close look.

So where is this increased turnover coming from??????

Then clubs program races that are not worth running if they are looking for increased turnover.

Smaller fields so smaller divs so less wagering and this is for what????

Horses racing for stakes less than they were 30 years ago and owners very hard to find I have heard, and why would you?

We have had one stable dominate the big stake races for years leaving peanuts for everyone else.

NZ’s best driver has left NZ indefinitely and probably wont return for a long time.

Then we have the continued media castigation of harness racing by Van Beynon and co every week!

We now have Swarbrick and Tubby wanting Greyhound racing banned so that the Greyhound breed will die out in NZ.

We have the clowns bringing in stupid whip rules pointing out that harness shouldnt be having drivers carrying whips, so fodder for the same tossers!

Sad but true and telling it the way it is Gamma.

I am up for anyone to shoot the messenger down, but most know that Brodie is a totally correct messenger!!

Edited by Brodie
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, Brodie said:

The reality is that that harness has gone backwards significantly unfortunately in recent years!

This damage that has been caused by several things need to be addressed so that harness racing in NZ has got a future.

Auckland has trouble getting full fields and struggling big time in encouraging new owners trainers and juniors!

Watched something on Trackside that had Ray Green saying how bad it was in Auckland and how it was impossible for young people to be able to afford land to train.

We have had the TAB hierarchy continue to make utterly stupid financial decisions to the point where they were basically broke and needed tax payer bailout.

They are still hooked into the lemon of the betting platform that they purchased and the noose around their neck must be very uncomfortable.

Of course I have a bitter opinion of the way the TAB treats punters differently, and if you were treated differently then I would presume you would not be happy about it as well.

They state that turnover on harness is increasing on harness racing but I say BS!
Punters are having their bets severely restricted, the tote win and place pools are a fraction of what they used to be and the on course patrons are negilable.

TAb agencies are few and far between and there are very few punters at the Pub Tabs if you have a close look.

Then clubs program races that are not worth running if they are looking for increased turnover.

Horses racing for stakes less than they were 30 years ago and owners very hard to find I have heard, and why would you?

We have had one stable dominate the big stake races for years leaving peanuts for everyone else.

NZ’s best driver has left NZ indefinitely and probably wont return for a long time.

Then we have the continued media castigation of harness racing by Van Beynon and co every week!

We now have Swarbrick and Tubby wanting Greyhound racing banned so that the Greyhound breed will die out in NZ.

We have the clowns bringing in stupid whip rules pointing out that harness shouldnt be having drivers carrying whips, so fodder for the same tossers!

I am up for anyone to shoot the messenger down, but most know that Brodie is a totally correct messenger!!

agreed Brodster , any sports has it's problems. you just have to address them.

You have come up with a list. yeah the whip changes sure led to lots of problems, but what can you do?? they tried to make it look better for the horse, and to my eye , It is? driving standard NZ is fabulous. 

You hated the 2 'Short course races' at Rangiora, but the 2 winners came from impossible draws , due to exceptionally good driving. Yeah I know, getting the distance back out is best, whatever. .... don't know why you lose your pants over 2 races.

Maybe young trainers could LEASE stables near a training track. Many did near Pukekohe training track for years? plenty of trainers were there like Herlihy, Reid, Blanchard , Reaks, must still be some I imagine.

Big stakes going to the one stable or millionaire billionaires is nothing new. Check out the gallops with chicken Kings for years , Godolphin, Lyodd Williams, results recent years. Snowy Lupton and Sheila Laxon a thing of the past , being anywhere near winning a Big Cup like the Melbourne one ever again. 

very limited who can win an Interdominion or a NZ Cup too. but usually connections of those winners pour thousands into the industry , and NZ breeders can still make a dollar? hopefully.

Increasing revenue?? that is a tough one. Brodster a leading example. How can you increase , when won't let punters on? as you say doesn't make sense. Just have to place bets that work around it somehow. guess it depends whether making a living out of it or doing for fun ??? i'm only a Fun better NZ trots nowadays.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Gammalite said:

JJ , I'm deeply troubled by the thought of yourself not seeing a future for harness racing.

Just telling it as i see it and i'm obviously not alone. 

17 hours ago, JJ Flash said:

Put the above together and over time as we have seen there is only one likely result. Decline. Woodham will have his hands full trying to eek out much come Racing NZ board time re distributions. The Harness numbers can not be great vis a vis Hounds and TB's, the latter is far more widely represented and better run even though i have little time for Saundry. The departure of Jackson and Carter an outstanding move by those who orchestrated it

Edited by JJ Flash

10 minutes ago, JJ Flash said:

Put the above together and over time as we have seen there is only one likely result. Decline. Woodham will have his hands full trying to eek out much come Racing NZ board time re distributions. The Harness numbers can not be great vis a vis Hounds and TB's, the latter is far more widely represented and better run even though i have little time for Saundry. The departure of Jackson and Carter an outstanding move by those who orchestrated it

But the facts don't match your assertion based on the published information that we have seen to date.  Arguably the Thoroughbred code is in as much trouble as the others and are only being propped up imported racing.  They are all being propped up by Pokies!

You don't seem as certain with your claims -

14 minutes ago, JJ Flash said:

The Harness numbers can not be great vis a vis Hounds and TB's

As for the departure of Jackson and Carter well it seems like a revolving door leading to the deck chairs - with MacKenzie, George and Dawson in the respective saddles!

10 hours ago, Brodie said:

Only Brodie could confuse solutions with problems.😄 Thereby confirming, if unwittingly, the accuracy of his doom prediction.

• Like 1
  • Champ Post 1
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, Brodie said:

You make some very good points mate.

Increased turnover is probably from online betting Brodie. I do most betting through the TAB website and also watch the races there too. Occasionally, I go to the TAB for a bet, but the nearest one is the Sandridge quite a way from my home. That's why I prefer betting online. You are right about the Pub tab machines you don't see many using them. I go to the Rock, Rolleston regularly and seldom see anyone betting although the races are showing. While at the pub, perhaps people prefer to bet online through their phones? That's certainly more convenient. 

The biggest TAB turnoff I have at the moment is bonus bets. How do you get them? My mate gets them regularly but I have never had one. He told me to withdraw all my winnings because that's what he does. I did that and still no bonus bet. I am disillusioned about it. I have been on a winning streak since the NZ Cup meeting so that could be the reason. Seems bonus bets are also restricted for winning punters?

Edited by Davis
  • Like 2

Davis, had one bonus  bet in NZ years ago lol.

You are right, winning punters dont seem to get them and their accounts are marked.

Turnover would increase substantially if they allowed punters bets to be taken!

They put up the odds and then say, these odds are only for punters we want to take money from.

By these huge restrictions on punters they are costing themselves big by reducing revenue.

I am still waiting on seeing the betting breakdown from Methven 2 weeks ago.

I know the win and place tote pools are a fraction of what they jsed to be so where is this increased turnover coming from?

I know no one who is new to punting on harness racing, however I know plenty that used to punt that now just can not be bothered!!!!

The TAB is relying on overseas racing where it costs them bugerall and also Sports betting.

They do not give a Rat’s about local racing as it is a liability to them with the costs involved.

Edited by Brodie
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Davis said:

The biggest TAB turnoff I have at the moment is bonus bets. How do you get them? My mate gets them regularly but I have never had one. He told me to withdraw all my winnings because that's what he does.

You need to take your balance back to zero via withdrawals on say Sunday evening to your nominated bank account. Come Thursday you should start getting them. Thats how it works for others

• Like 1
  • Champ Post 1