Bit Of A Yarn

HRNZ News - Michael House tells it the way it is!

Brodie

33 minutes ago, Brodie said:

Gammalite. Of those trainers mentioned I suspect not one of them have become wealthy due to training horses?

Depends how much wealth you're looking for Brodster?. afterall you seek much more riches from the Tab than the usual patron lol....

No you are right , just normal run of the mill in-come for most trainers I know. They have to pay taxes, staff (with super these days too i imagine) and usually a family partner working alongside them as well , to keep you sane. stable expenses , like feed and transport , guess you can bill shoeing and vet separate to daily rate. No real wealth as you say. can see how Mr House could even be losing money as you suggest. 

Personally , I took racing shares in all mine , and most had at one time in work, was 12 so two of us (and volunteer enthusiast help) could manage quite easily. (and still enjoy it , seven day week) Prize money helps you boost the interest a bit. Many of Barry Purdon's race with his wife Katrina in a share for example. so they actually do ok. 

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Gammalite said:

Depends how much wealth you're looking for Brodster?. afterall you seek much more riches from the Tab than the usual patron lol....

No you are right , just normal run of the mill in-come for most trainers I know. They have to pay taxes, staff (with super these days too i imagine) and usually a family partner working alongside them as well , to keep you sane. stable expenses , like feed and transport , guess you can bill shoeing and vet separate to daily rate. No real wealth as you say. can see how Mr House could even be losing money as you suggest. 

Personally , I took racing shares in all mine , and most had at one time in work, was 12 so two of us (and volunteer enthusiast help) could manage quite easily. (and still enjoy it , seven day week) Prize money helps you boost the interest a bit. Many of Barry Purdon's race with his wife Katrina in a share for example. so they actually do ok. 

From what I have heard nowadays just so hard to get ahead financially training horses.

There are not the same members of families coming thru that want to be full-time trainers unfortunately.

This is going to become a problem in the future for the industry.

• Like 3

27 minutes ago, Brodie said:

From what I have heard nowadays just so hard to get ahead financially training horses.

There are not the same members of families coming thru that want to be full-time trainers unfortunately.

This is going to become a problem in the future for the industry.

yes , that is going to be a Devastating Blow to NZ tradition.!!!

already reeling from losing Dexter Dunn to USA ( along with the Peter Wolfenden and Tony Herlihy son's lost to the states many moons ago) a real tragedy for NZ harness , and gone is that solid opposition to the Purdon Gangs. 

And in recent times, sadly Anthony Butt and Tim Butt lost to Australia (luckily still some of the brilliant Butt family are racing in NZ) , now Nathan Purdon gone to Oz too. If Michael comes over with that fine young trotter , well .........................perish the thought of No Purdons training in NZ. 

Wonder if Barry and Katrina Purdon had kids?

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, Gammalite said:

yes , that is going to be a Devastating Blow to NZ tradition.!!!

already reeling from losing Dexter Dunn to USA ( along with the Peter Wolfenden and Tony Herlihy son's lost to the states many moons ago) a real tragedy for NZ harness , and gone is that solid opposition to the Purdon Gangs. 

And in recent times, sadly Anthony Butt and Tim Butt lost to Australia (luckily still some of the brilliant Butt family are racing in NZ) , now Nathan Purdon gone to Oz too. If Michael comes over with that fine young trotter , well .........................perish the thought of No Purdons training in NZ. 

Wonder if Barry and Katrina Purdon had kids?

Perish the thought of no Purdons training in NZ!

Devastating Gamma, just couldnt sleep!

• Haha 5

8 hours ago, Jones said:

Yes saw that & thought, that its sad for him not attracting new owners as he is trying different things & is costing him.

Another question for you Brods,

Is the average age for members of Alex Park & is the average age of members at Addington in the 70’s? And if so in 20 years, should they be worried?  Fact or fiction. I don’t actually know the answer to this one so perhaps we can open this up to the floor? Unhinged might know re Addington?

Have yet to decide whom I will vote for next election, however they need to upt their game re campaign/marketing commercials. The last one was average I thought when saw it air. Infact it was so average I CANNOT recall what it was.

Remember watching that rowing ad when it was in production & said this is FAB, BUT “what about the music, are you allowed to use this?”

“Yes, got the rights from a company in Australia”.

Still got them in trouble tho didn’t it.

Attendance Average age of members, probably right for days other than premiere days or nights. If it was run as a private business there would be no members. The cost of putting staff on and catering for small numbers is simply not economic. Saying that there is definitely a place for memberships and the club has introduced alot of different options overs the last couple of year's so the membership model has evolved but it needs to keep happening as does racing.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Rangatira said:

what do you find attractive about this business model ?

Michael often puts the best driver in the country on his horses for a start, does alot of 50/50 deals where the owners stop paying , not a bad start to his business model wouldn't you think.

3 minutes ago, Unhinged said:

Michael often puts the best driver in the country on his horses for a start, does alot of 50/50 deals where the owners stop paying , not a bad start to his business model wouldn't you think.

Owners Stop Paying ??  now that is the LAST thing a trainer needs or wants. just being reliant on stakemoney is not a great business plan at all. I can see how it says he's often out of pocket now. Still have to pay staff , etc,etc.....

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Unhinged said:

as a new owner it would sure be grouse meeting postie

but i would have no horse to enter into a 50/50 deal

speaking of 50/50 deals i am looking for someone to restore the mk 1 on a 50/50 deal

Mk 1 Zephyr.jpg

7 minutes ago, Gammalite said:

Owners Stop Paying ??  now that is the LAST thing a trainer needs or wants. just being reliant on stakemoney is not a great business plan at all. I can see how it says he's often out of pocket now. Still have to pay staff , etc,etc.....

Sorry looking at it as a owner, but if he doesn't get a result pretty quick back they go ,his numbers tell me there are plenty taking up his offer. 

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Unhinged said:

Attendance Average age of members, probably right for days other than premiere days or nights. If it was run as a private business there would be no members. The cost of putting staff on and catering for small numbers is simply not economic. Saying that there is definitely a place for memberships and the club has introduced alot of different options overs the last couple of year's so the membership model has evolved but it needs to keep happening as does racing.

Ok wonder what the average age is for owners thru-out NZ in total. If I had a random guess Id say 50. But could be way off. Just trying to figure out the demographic and where/what that points to in future.

27 minutes ago, Unhinged said:

Sorry looking at it as a owner, but if he doesn't get a result pretty quick back they go ,his numbers tell me there are plenty taking up his offer. 

Have heard of this arrangement. So stake money is split 50/50 between trainer & owner, so yeah if horse not performing back it goes asap.

Also heard of it, were they may take it on the basis to sell asap after a few starts if poss so 50/50 again or similar maybe not quite 50/50 & then if a sale takes place then trainer acting as the seller gets $ there too.

Edited by Jones

27 minutes ago, Newmarket said:

Is this surprising? Look at what he is racing, all going around for low stakes. Get rid of them, get a couple into good races. I did see his galloper win midweek. Harry Mouse has never been taken to serious 

What was the name of the last high profile, successful horse that Mr House trained?