Bit Of A Yarn

HRNZ News - Michael House tells it the way it is!

Brodie

Interesting article on HRNZ news in regards to Michael House’s stable down south!

He states that despite his success down south, he has not attracted a single new owner!

Michael, that is because no one is attracting new owners, as it is a industry struggling!

He also states that he is not making any money, in fact it is costing him personally big time, and he would not be training if ne didnt have another business propping it up!

As I keep saying, there is no money to be made nowadays from racing harness horses in NZ, due to increasing costs and stakes that are same as decades ago!

Some will come out and say how turnover is increasing and things have picked up since Covid19 reared its ugly head, however they obviously have rose tinted glasses on!

While horses are racing for $7k and costs continue to increase, the sport will continue to haemorrhage!

There are other things at play that is hurting the industry as well, but most know  what these are by now!

• Like 1
  • Champ Post 1

Too much of a average product,sorry below average,ive been here just over a year now and weve been over the issues many times but dont just put racing in the poor product,rugby is no different,super rugby is a non event,Kirwan questions the ABs playing under prepared island teams and he is probably right,its all about the dollar and extracting as much as you can,i think as we get older we reflect on better times of the past,but we have to keep changing so the experts say yet as i said before most changes made seem to be 2 steps forward,3 back.

Just to add,wait till the next election,we will be fed another line of bullshit from the polys but fuck all forward progress will eventuate.

Edited by mikeynz
  • Like 2
  • Champ Post 1

8 hours ago, Brodie said:

Interesting article on HRNZ news in regards to Michael House’s stable down south!

Yes saw that & thought, that its sad for him not attracting new owners as he is trying different things & is costing him.

Another question for you Brods,

Is the average age for members of Alex Park & is the average age of members at Addington in the 70’s? And if so in 20 years, should they be worried?  Fact or fiction. I don’t actually know the answer to this one so perhaps we can open this up to the floor? Unhinged might know re Addington?

4 hours ago, mikeynz said:

Just to add,wait till the next election,we will be fed another line of bullshit from the polys but fuck all forward progress will eventuate.

Have yet to decide whom I will vote for next election, however they need to upt their game re campaign/marketing commercials. The last one was average I thought when saw it air. Infact it was so average I CANNOT recall what it was.

Remember watching that rowing ad when it was in production & said this is FAB, BUT “what about the music, are you allowed to use this?”

“Yes, got the rights from a company in Australia”.

Still got them in trouble tho didn’t it.

1 hour ago, Jones said:

Yes saw that & thought, that its sad for him not attracting new owners as he is trying different things & is costing him.

Another question for you Brods,

Is the average age for members of Alex Park & is the average age of members at Addington in the 70’s? And if so in 20 years, should they be worried?  Fact or fiction. I don’t actually know the answer to this one so perhaps we can open this up to the floor? Unhinged might know re Addington?

Have yet to decide whom I will vote for next election, however they need to upt their game re campaign/marketing commercials. The last one was average I thought when saw it air. Infact it was so average I CANNOT recall what it was.

Remember watching that rowing ad when it was in production & said this is FAB, BUT “what about the music, are you allowed to use this?”

“Yes, got the rights from a company in Australia”.

Still got them in trouble tho didn’t it.

Jones, couldnt confirm what the age of the current members were at Auckland or Addington at the moment is, but would say it would be getting up there.

Yes Unhinged would be able to advise, I would think!

Yes I believe harness has got major issues going forward with attracting new people into harness racing as owners, trainers and punters.

Cost of ownership is far too high for the financial rewards, so you have to be owning for the fun of it and have a pretty good income, and understanding partner!

Training profitably is also difficult as Michael House can verify!

Finally, despite what they say, I dont believe that wagering on harness is improving the industry at all!

If it is as they say it is, then we can look forward to racing for more than $7k then?

The TAB keep bringing out different types of betting options like TOP4, however when you are only allowed to net $15 on a bet, what is the point, and they have lost the plot!

TAB agencies nowadays are few and far between and I do not see many at all betting at Pub TABS nowadays!

Yes I am sure it goes on mainly on accounts now, that is if they allow you to!!!!!!!

Edited by Brodie
  • Like 1

51 minutes ago, Rangatira said:

what do you think is attractive about his business model ?

Ranga, Michael House gives things a go, and tries to do best by his owners and takes on horses that have met their mark in Canterbury!

He has clearly stated that it is far from easy to make it profitable!

Would I be surprised if he comes out in the next year and says that he is giving training away?

No, because why would you want to be working hard and not turning a profit????

You wouldnt, and there will be many more doing the same, without new owners prepared to cough up!

Just reality really under the current climate!

Edited by Brodie
I
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, Brodie said:

Ranga, Michael House gives things a go, and tries to do best by his owners and takes on horses that have met their mark in Canterbury!

what do you find attractive about this business model ?

Edited by Rangatira

26 minutes ago, Rangatira said:

Ranga , didn't the Michael House business model (a very unique one) involve gathering 2 truck loads of horses and charging off to Manawatu or Invercargill , maybe other places to win as many possible on say a 2-day program meeting?

That must involve heaps of New owners you would think? for a while anyway.

you might have success like he did for a few seasons or road-trips, but once the winning rate declines , so will the business.

Brodster on the money maybe , with the likely 'burn-out', and lack of profit would be draining. Loss of owners would be terminal for the business model. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Gammalite said:

Ranga , didn't the Michael House business model (a very unique one) involve gathering 2 truck loads of horses and charging off to Manawatu or Invercargill , maybe other places to win as many possible on say a 2-day program meeting?

That must involve heaps of New owners you would think? for a while anyway.

you might have success like he did for a few seasons or road-trips, but once the winning rate declines , so will the business.

Brodster on the money maybe , with the likely 'burn-out', and lack of profit would be draining. Loss of owners would be terminal for the business model. 

gammalite his horses are old nags lol who would want to buy them . go have a look at beach start race in Perth last night looks like another cheap horse we stole off you kiwis lol

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Rangatira said:

Michael House was prepared to takeover the training of horses that had probably just about met their mark in Canterbury mainly.

He would take them to Manawatu or down south where the possibility to win races was greater.

He has done a very good job with average horses which is great and you have to respect that.

Thing is you have to keep getting in horses to replace the ones that are finished and at some stage that will slow down.

I fully respect all trainers in NZ that bet up early in all seasons to work horses for the financial returns that they are able to achieve.

It is really just the love of the game rather than the financial gains nowadays!

I personally do not know any harness trainer that you could say has made a killing out of training horses solely!!
Does anyone???

• Like 2
  • Champ Post 1

8 minutes ago, paleface adios said:

gammalite his horses are old nags lol who would want to buy them . go have a look at beach start race in Perth last night looks like another cheap horse we stole off you kiwis lol

To be fair Paleface, a lot of the old nags would do a pretty fair job in OZ as we know!
Dont know anything about Beach Start, who had it or what it was sold  for?

Plenty of opportunity in Oz for racing horses and more opportunity to turn a profit.

2 minutes ago, Brodie said:

To be fair Paleface, a lot of the old nags would do a pretty fair job in OZ as we know!
Dont know anything about Beach Start, who had it or what it was sold  for?

Plenty of opportunity in Oz for racing horses and more opportunity to turn a profit.

Garry Hall trains it over here . was sold for 20k looks like maybe a super star

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Brodie said:

I personally do not know any harness trainer that you could say has made a killing out of training horses solely!!
Does anyone???

There's bugger all. The established and most 'winningest' trainers are All generational hand me downs. So have lovely farms and have raced lovely horses , and are the Premiership Trainers and drivers.

The Very best here in Brisbane ALL had/have the dad's to thank. (all were brilliant horseman) Set them on that road to glory and success. i.e McMullen's, Dixon's, Rasmussen's, Graham's all the best we have.

NZ the same mostly!!. The Very best have the dad's and granddad's some of the NZ greats. Roy Purdon getting Mark and Barry going, Derek Jones with son Peter , and NZ/AUS superstar grandson Anthony Butt, the Williamson's , the Dunn's. 

so No room for anyone new to make a killing over the decades. Must be why fine horsemen Blair O and Tim Williams don't train ? 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, paleface adios said:

Not many of the horses Mr House races , would be sold to WA I wouldn't think .

'Team Bond' and 'Team Hall' do buy a heap of NZ stock though , and scoop up one race winners quite often from the Deep South of kiwiland. Half their stables are kiwi horses.

I flew out of NZ once, with a plane load of Aus purchases. Lightning Blue was one on that plane (bought for 40k after one start one win NZ) went back to haunt them with Christchurch Interdominion and NZ Cup victories later on.

VILLAGE KID set the tradition in motion the year before , purchased for 40k by Bill Horn in WA, after a couple of Hutt park wins in Wellington. The Kid went on to win $2 million !! not a bad buy at all. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Gammalite said:

for trying to keep up with the actual best ones ?

on the money gammers

his results suggest he was competitive but really no more than that

these days its really hard to keep up on a diet of chaff, hay, molasses and water

envelopes must be pushed

Edited by Rangatira
  • Like 1

Beach Start:History

Qualified as 2yo at Winton Feb 2020 ran 3rd of 6 in 2.00.9

Exported May 2020 Unraced

Debuted Oct 2020 2yo Pinjarra finished 12 of 12

Resumed as 3yo April 2021 Winning at Pinjarra

Next 5 runs only produced a 3rd.7th.8th.4th.7th/ with career earnings A$6k

Then this week Gloucester Park:

Draws inside second row/raced 3 back fence/gets off near turn but held up in traffic/taken widest/rockets home/gets up  on line.

Commentator hails run as quickest finish he has seen for awhile*amazing finish*extraordinary*finished like Beefy T (who was a star ex kiwi Trained by John Green)

So,will follow Beach Start's next few runs with interest.🤑

• Like 1
  • Champ Post 1

12 hours ago, Brodie said:

He states that despite his success down south, he has not attracted a single new owner!

Michael, that is because no one is attracting new owners, as it is a industry struggling!

He also states that he is not making any money, in fact it is costing him personally big time, and he would not be training if ne didnt have another business propping it up!

As I keep saying, there is no money to be made nowadays from racing harness horses in NZ, due to increasing costs and stakes that are same as decades ago!

Some will come out and say how turnover is increasing and things have picked up since Covid19 reared its ugly head, however they obviously have rose tinted glasses on!

While horses are racing for $7k and costs continue to increase, the sport will continue to haemorrhage!

There are other things at play that is hurting the industry as well, but most know  what these are by now!

I have a lot of time for House. He is innovative, straight up and he throws out the odd good price from his stable on his Facebook page. It is sad that House has not attracted new clients to his Southland base. I think one reason for this is that Southlanders are very loyal and probably see House as an outsider. There are a lot of good trainers down there and I think locals are more likely to go with a real Southlander. House shouldn't give up. If he keeps on producing the winners down there, he will start to attract new clients. Patience is required.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Rangatira said:

these days its really hard to keep up on a diet of chaff, hay, molasses and water

envelopes must be pushed

since racing began , the horses get more than that diet , to achieve the goal of LookGood,FeelGood,GoGood

You're not trying to cheat, or push envelopes/boundaries, Just Win the race by achieving the goal.

Yes ! there are cheats who DELIBERATELY overdo it , like Alford and McGrath,  using out-dated techniques.

don't worry, they'll dump the trainers out here too. Big ones as well with big stables. Webberley, Hunter, Donahue all been done a few times each. McCarthy just once so far.

everyone accusing one stable of foul play is just ludicrous really. They all get something. If not, well , they just get left behind, at the speed of the racing being obtained now.