Bit Of A Yarn

Beta Than Love???

There  is no doubting the horse has shown good improvement since joining the House stable from the barclay/ellis stable.. As i have pointed out before,a lot of horses from the barclay/ellis stable had shown a drop off in form for over 12 months,and that drop off in form has continued since they have parted ways. The only exception was Watch me now,and it was obvious just observing the way that horse travelled during the running the night it beat amazing dream, that it was going to keep running no matter how fast they went. Why don't people ask about that horse and why it can't keep up since? 

Anyway,the point is Beta than love has come from an out of form stable to an in form stable.Thats a factor.

Its been driven by Blair orange. The one constant i have found from my rating horses performances has been that blair orange has to be factored in. He improves every horses performance. Only natalie rasmussen seems to be in the same league,although not as significant in my opinion.

Horses who do go to House to train do normally show improvement,but my guess would be it would come down to how he works them,together with a bit of legal veterinary treatment. They can be a bit hot and cold sometimes,and performances can vary a bit from month to month,but the changes aren't that significant to suggest anything untoward is going on in my opinion.

Its natural for people to look at a horse like beta than love and say,that horse has improved significantly,because thats true. Everyone has an opinion.

Edited by the galah
  • Like 3

44 minutes ago, the galah said:

There  is no doubting the horse has shown good improvement since joining the House stable from the barclay/ellis stable.. As i have pointed out before,a lot of horses from the barclay/ellis stable had shown a drop off in form for over 12 months,and that drop off in form has continued since they have parted ways. The only exception was Watch me now,and it was obvious just observing the way that horse travelled during the running the night it beat amazing dream, that it was going to keep running no matter how fast they went. Why don't people ask about that horse and why it can't keep up since? 

Anyway,the point is Beta than love has come from an out of form stable to an in form stable.Thats a factor.

Its been driven by Blair orange. The one constant i have found from my rating horses performances has been that blair orange has to be factored in. He improves every horses performance. Only natalie rasmussen seems to be in the same league,although not as significant in my opinion.

Horses who do go to House to train do normally show improvement,but my guess would be it would come down to how he works them,together with a bit of legal veterinary treatment. They can be a bit hot and cold sometimes,and performances can vary a bit from month to month,but the changes aren't that significant to suggest anything untoward is going on in my opinion.

Its natural for people to look at a horse like beta than love and say,that horse has improved significantly,because thats true. Everyone has an opinion.

As you say Galah, Michael House has always been able to improve a horse. I don't know what his secret is but it is nothing new. House also uses top drivers Blair Orange, Sarah O'Reilly, Samantha Ottley and Brent Barclay, this is an important factor on why his horses are successful. I think other trainers, trainer/drivers who are poor in the the cart (there are plenty of them), should do the same an!d they might train more winners. Just a thought!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

21 minutes ago, Davis said:

As you say Galah, Michael House has always been able to improve a horse. I don't know what his secret is but it is nothing new. House also uses top drivers Blair Orange, Sarah O'Reilly, Samantha Ottley and Brent Barclay, this is an important factor on why his horses are successful. I think other trainers, trainer/drivers who are poor in the the cart (there are plenty of them), should do the same an!d they might train more winners. Just a thought!

Yes important to have a decent driver onboard!

Different training methods and change of scenery also helps, also the use of VETS is probably the biggest factor nowadays!!!!!!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

On 13/06/2021 at 8:41 PM, Derek said:

Bullshit post Newmarket! Nice horse given time and benefits showing!

No I don’t have a share in him!

Given time, wouldn’t mind a dollar for every time I hear that!! 
Lets see, no doubt it will be sold soon, Let’s see how good it goes for new owner

Iv prior thought about what is behind the improvement with Houses horses when he takes them to Mana.

Have decided to myself, that there is nothing untoward. Simply he is taking them from a stronger racing region & putting them in a weaker 1 for those meetings.

So in a way dropping a grade when racing at Mana. As well as he has the leading reins man on, big advantage & also has numbers in races, which increases the odds of winning or placing.

Not sure about this Beta than love horse. Never see it race, but agree with Galah that most likely it hasn’t changed enough to create a red flag & other legal technics e.g. gear change or change of scenery could of helped.

• Like 2
  • Champ Post 1

Interesting across all codes, a few battlers struggling to win a race or two, then  a change of environment, or something just seem to click, then some just start turning their form around a couple of examples of thoroughbreds I followed for sometime battling around the smalls were lil miss swiss and madam du soir, both turned their form around remarkably, I think swiss  won three in a row and madam went on to win at riccarton ashburton and dunedin gold cup, sadly for me there was no notification that she had been with partime caretaker at riccarton, and went from a 2 win battler to a open class mare, and paying some tidy divs, as for miss swiss she won a riverton cup, all with the same stable, probably gone to broodmare paddock now, the old adage comes to mind that I was told by a wise old man, never condemn a horse till it's dead.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just took a quick peak at this Beta than Love.

Noted it is racing in the lowest rating it possibly can. Got its first win at Forbury in 2.02.8 (R45-49). No red flags from me for that.

Next wins at Add on a Sunday in R45-49 still 40’s grade. Nothing eye popping for me to see there.

Note it is now R57 might struggle a bit now.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jones said:

Just took a quick peak at this Beta than Love.

Noted it is racing in the lowest rating it possibly can. Got its first win at Forbury in 2.02.8 (R45-49). No red flags from me for that.

Next wins at Add on a Sunday in R45-49 still 40’s grade. Nothing eye popping for me to see there.

Note it is now R57 might struggle a bit now.

Exactly mate. Fields are poorer this time of year too, especially in the south. Also many races are little more than sprints home with drivers allowing the leader to jog halves of 64 then wonder why they make no ground in straight. This is the best time of the season for the slower horse.

• Like 2

23 hours ago, Davis said:

Exactly mate. Fields are poorer this time of year too, especially in the south. Also many races are little more than sprints home with drivers allowing the leader to jog halves of 64 then wonder why they make no ground in straight. This is the best time of the season for the slower horse.

I suppose my thoughts, are what stock he is racing with. I know he had some better bred expensive horses earlier on, but then he started racing 2nd grade donkeys, that struggle in the sth island, so took them up north, picked his races and did well. 
But all of sudden, he is now winning anywhere, Santana Mach sat parked yesterday, ran away to win against good field, in good time? I am struggling to understand 

22 minutes ago, Newmarket said:

But all of sudden, he is now winning anywhere, Santana Mach sat parked yesterday, ran away to win against good field, in good time? I am struggling to understand 

Santa Mach was the King of the Country Cups last year 2020 North Island. When he first went North he ran into bad luck at Alex with bad draws & unlucky runs, just remember following this horse a lil. Then as soon as he got some decent luck, runs, draws & headed to out of Auckland but still in North he became the Country Cup King.

Taking a look at result he won a rating 56-70 at Invercargill. Again no for me no red flag here. 

• Like 4

57 minutes ago, Newmarket said:

Santana Mach sat parked yesterday, ran away to win against good field, in good time? I am struggling to understand

Santanna Mach racing in great heart recently winning 3 of last 4 now. so he's not struggling anyway. 

A Brilliant 10/10 drive by Sarah O'Reilly too ! !, what a great little driver she is. 

she covered Santanna up for the first lap to save energy , dragging back to last from the horror outside barrier draw. After one lap the leader pulled field up to a Crawl, So Sarah went round from 4 back outside to sit parked LAST LAP only, and dictated the leader CHUCKLES pace for last 1/2 mile (home in moderate 57.7) to win easily.

Easy to understand as yet another impressive NZ driver in action. 

• Like 3