Bit Of A Yarn

Will Incentivise do a Vow and Declare? Lay him at your peril.

6 hours ago, nomates said:

Verry Eleegent also accepted but she is also in at Sydney but over a mile , rain forecast for both meetings so not sure where they will run with her

Rain won't worry her.  Scratched from Randwick.

Still in the Turnbull Stakes field.  Wow what a field that is.  10 starters and all have a Rating 100+.  No trouble meeting Grp 1 Status!

Average Rating is 108!

image.png

1 hour ago, Chief Stipe said:

Rain won't worry her.  Scratched from Randwick.

Still in the Turnbull Stakes field.  Wow what a field that is.  10 starters and all have a weight 100+.  No trouble meeting Grp 1 Status!

Average Rating is 108!

image.png

Haha , to make a point , average there is 108 , the horse at the top of the open stayers a t Riccarton on Saturday is rated 88 , 20 points diff , 10lgths , now who thinks that the NZ horse is only a 10L inferior horse . I'm not bashing the horse , he's an aged gld who has won 5 races and 85k , good luck to the owners but geez it makes it hard for this type of horse , where does he go if he wins on Saturday .

It's ridiculous , now if it went to Aus it may be re rated , maybe not , not sure how it goes , but it shows how futile it is here .

And yes it is a great field and going to be interesting to see how Incentivise goes against the big mare , we will really see where he rates .

Things really starting to heat up over there , great next few weeks ahead .

• 2 weeks later...

Incentive for Moody to land first career major

Brett Prebble salutes after riding Incentivise to victory in the Turnbull Stakes. Picture: Racing Photos via Getty ImagesBrett Prebble salutes after riding Incentivise to victory in the Turnbull Stakes. Picture: Racing Photos via Getty Images

By Trenton Akers
05:22pm • 15 October 2021
Comments

Peter Moody always knew what he was going to get from the great Black Caviar during her glittering career but even he admits he is going into the unknown with Incentivise as he attempts to land his first racing major in the Caulfield Cup on Saturday.

Emerging from the racing wilderness, Moody is leaning on fellow Queenslander Steve Tregea as they team up with the staying marvel who has taken racing by storm.

Having spent four years on the sidelines after walking away from racing due to a draining legal battle against cobalt charges, Incentivise has led Moody back into the spotlight and has delivered him his best chance at landing one of racing’s “big four” – the Melbourne Cup, Caulfield Cup, Cox Plate or Golden Slipper.

While he has won races in front of the Queen at Royal Ascot with Black Caviar, a “big four” winner is all that is lacking on the former Charleville local’s glittering resume.

Taking the shortest-priced favourite in 50 years into the Caulfield Cup could be expected to weigh heavily on most but Moody’s laid-back approach has him treating Saturday’s $5m contest just like any other.

“It is no different to any other big race really, we are prepping him the same, as we do all our horses,” Moody told News Corp.

“There just happens to be a bigger cheque at the end of the day if he gets the job done.

“It doesn’t matter to me really, whether it is one of these (big four) races or not.”

IT’S NOT TOO LATE TO JOIN SUPERCOACH RACING. SIGN UP TO BE IN THE RUNNING FOR WEEKLY PRIZES UP TO $1000

Melbourne Racing

Incentivise will be out to give Peter Moody his first triumph in a major. Picture: Getty Images

Having made the meteoric rise from a Sunshine Coast maiden worth $12,000 to the winner to a Caulfield Cup favourite in the space of eight starts, the Incentivise story has captured the attention of many.

Not one to get too caught up in the moment however, Moody said he has only dealt with what is in front of him since receiving the horse from Tregea in July after high-flying owners Brae Sokolski and Ozzie Kheir purchased a 50 per cent share in him during the Brisbane winter carnival.

“There’s no doubt he’s been on that rise but I don’t know that much about his past and if he has always shown this potential or not,” Moody said.

“When he won the Tatts Cup (at Eagle Farm) I think it showed to everyone then that he was a serious Caulfield Cup horse.”

Having won both the Group 1 Makybe Diva Stakes (1600m) and Turnbull Stakes (2000m) since arriving in Victoria, Incentivise is gunning to become the first horse since Northerly in 2002 to also go on and win the Caulfield Cup in the same year.

His record shows four wins from four starts on soft ground but Moody concedes it is a mystery how he handles the rain-affected ground of Caulfield on Saturday when he jumps from barrier 20.

“No idea, a bit like everyone else really,” he said.

“He is four from four on soft ground but not at this level, he was probably just better than them then.”

Queen Elizabeth II talks to trainer Peter Moody and jockey Luke Nolan after victory by Australian racehorse Black Caviar, in winning the Diamond Jubilee Stakes at Royal Ascot Racecourse, Ascot in England, 23/06/2012.

Peter Moody speaking with the Queen at Royal Ascot.

As a proud Queenslander, Moody famously had Doomben packed to the rafters in 2011 when he brought his star mare Black Caviar to the Sunshine State for the BTC Cup, now it’s a Darling Downs product that could deliver him the biggest moment of his career since returning to training.

“At the end of day we want to see horses do their best, regardless of where they are from and he looks like a bloody good horse off the back of his last couple of wins,” Moody said.

“It would be great as an old Queenslander to win with a Toowoomba, Darling Downs horse.”

While the bright lights of Caulfield couldn’t be further away from the sugar city of Mackay in North Queensland, they are linked through the incredible story of Incentivise.

On his prolonged break from racing two years ago, Moody watched on trackside as Steve Tregea’s Bergerac put in a huge effort to win the 2000m feature while carrying the proverbial grandstand.

Little did he know two years down the track he would be training Bergerac’s younger half-brother Incentivise, the horse that took the racing world by storm in less than six months.

4 minutes ago, nomates said:

That was just a WOW !!! 

Love to see the best horses win the best races .

Brett obviously got my riding instructions!

But seriously that was one hell of a performance.  Melbourne Cup?  7 months from a Maiden?

I'd love to race a horse with Moody.  Be bloody fun.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Chief Stipe said:

Brett obviously got my riding instructions!

But seriously that was one hell of a performance.  Melbourne Cup?  7 months from a Maiden?

I'd love to race a horse with Moody.  Be bloody fun.

Magnificent win.Smashed them -too short for me.CS..your pockets must be...bulging.

Melbourne Cup favourite Incentivise is back at his Pakenham home after a couple of days at the beach, fully recovered from his Caulfield Cup win and with trainer Peter Moody declaring him a certain starter for the biggest race of his career.

Moody said on Sunday morning the horse ‘certainly knew he’d had a run’ and would see how he recovered before confirming his place in the Melbourne Cup. He has since ticked all boxes.

“Sunday morning was quite daunting because, for the first time ever, I saw him ever so slightly jaded, but then Monday morning he was ‘tickety boo’ and licked the feed bin our from Sunday night and he was bouncing and ready to get his work over and done with yet again,” Moody said on his podcast, Moody On The Mic.

Incentivise had his compulsory scans ahead of the Melbourne Cup on Monday morning with Moody taking the no news, as good news.

“I’m presuming you only hear something if there’s an issue and we haven’t heard anything at this point in time and it’s full steam ahead,” Moody said.

“It was very simple; an hour and a half float ride from Pakenham to Werribee, the horse was there for about an hour and a half and an hour and a half later he was grazing in a paddock at the beach property that we send him to.

“He’s enjoyed his little beach holiday for two and a half days, back at Pakenham and what are we 12 or 13 days into the Cup.”

The 59-time Group 1-winning trainer, who is yet to win a Melbourne Cup, said Incentivise will have relatively light work heading into the race given his residual fitness and remarkable recovery powers.

“I don’t think he’ll need a lot of work at all on the training tracks because he’s a very fit horse (and) he pulled up and recovered very quickly post the Caulfield Cup,” he said.

Incentivise is a $2.50 favourite to win the Melbourne Cup despite the horse having never extended beyond 2500m, nonetheless Moody believes distance won’t be an issue for the son of Shamus Award.

“There’s always that question mark until you’re out there and proven, but the strongest part of all his races seems to be through the line,” Moody said.

“It was interesting there in the Caulfield Cup, Brett Prebble went right up to the 1200m mark, he went another 800 or 900 metres post the Caulfield Cup finish and actually had to steer him toward a fence to inevitably stop him before he brough him back to the enclosure.

“He seems to have an unbelievable capacity to build and keep running, this horse”

Sportsbet has already paid on Incentivise to win the race for all bets placed before October 19, a figure the company says was in excess of $5.5 million.

Must be a bugger @Joe Bloggs and @Gammalite having the Qland suffix?!!

Gai Waterhouse says race favourite Incentivise will have to defy history if he is to win next Tuesday’s Lexus Melbourne Cup.

Waterhouse, who hopes to saddle up two runners in the Melbourne Cup herself, has driven down to Victora to be part of the Cup Carnival festivities and spoke at the VRC’s launch on Monday.

“He’s got a suffix which is unusual, which is Queensland,” Waterhouse said.

“And I don’t mean that in any way rudely, but I think there’s only been one winner of the Cup from Queensland.

“And my father had Gunsynd one of the greatest horses to race in Queensland and he couldn’t win the Cup.

“I hope he does win the Cup, he’s Aussie, Aussie, Aussie I’d love to see him win the Cup, but it doesn’t happen very often.

“That suffix is so important in this race – I don’t think people realise.”

Gai Waterhouse and training partner Adrian Bott’s leading fancy in the Melbourne Cup comes in the form of Sir Lucan, the lightly raced full-brother to 2020 Cox Plate winner Sir Dragonet.

Owned in similar interests to Sir Dragonet, the veteran of just eight starts sits 24th in Monday’s latest order of entry and still risks being jumped by Saturday’s Hotham Handicap winner.

“He’s down at Weribee and I was there yesterday supervising him and he’s a very young horse,” Waterhouse explained.

“He’s probably a preparation away but he comes in with 50 kilograms on his back and he is proven over the distance.”

Sir Lucan won the Listed Yeats Stakes in May and last raced in September when eighth in the Group 1 St Ledger. Sportsbet have the son of Camelot marked a $19 chance for the Melbourne Cup.

183831.png

Sir Lucan (IRE)

Trainer G.M.Waterhouse AO
Age 4YO
Sex Horse
Colour Bay
Prize Money $152,926
Last 5 -248-
Career 8-2-1-0

The Waterhouse and Bott team's second runner sits firmly in the final field of 24 in Knights Order, who finished ninth in last Wednesday’s Geelong Cup.

“Already in the Cup is the Queensland Cup winner in Knights Order,” she said.

“He will run in the Lexus on Saturday which is 2600 metres and then hopefully back up in the Cup.

“Not done a lot these days but it’s certainly a tried and true way, old fashioned a bit.”

189843.png

Knights Order (IRE)

Age 7YO
Sex Gelding
Colour Bay or Brown
Prize Money $467,501
Last 5 -9119
Career 20-7-0-2

Waterhouse said the stringent pre-race veterinary requirements that has seen less than normal international participation this year was an opportunity for local trainers to claim back the Cup, just as Waterhouse did in 2013 with Fiorente.

“It’s certainly harsh but it does keep a lot of the overseas horses away and it gives the locals a bit more of a chance,” Waterhouse said.

“They’ve had a pretty good bite of the cherry for the last 35 years so it’s nice to see the local horses being able to represented.

“Horses who are being trained in Australia, it’s nice to see the money stay in Australia.

“I’m not saying don’t have imports - but it’s nice to see a few more of our own here – it is our race.”

The Victoria Racing Club officially launched the Melbourne Cup Carnival on Monday with tickets going on sale for 5500 patrons for Derby Day on Monday afternoon.

1 hour ago, Chief Stipe said:

Must be a bugger @Joe Bloggs and @Gammalite having the Qland suffix?!!

Gai Waterhouse says race favourite Incentivise will have to defy history if he is to win next Tuesday’s Lexus Melbourne Cup.

Waterhouse, who hopes to saddle up two runners in the Melbourne Cup herself, has driven down to Victora to be part of the Cup Carnival festivities and spoke at the VRC’s launch on Monday.

“He’s got a suffix which is unusual, which is Queensland,” Waterhouse said.

“And I don’t mean that in any way rudely, but I think there’s only been one winner of the Cup from Queensland.

“And my father had Gunsynd one of the greatest horses to race in Queensland and he couldn’t win the Cup.

“I hope he does win the Cup, he’s Aussie, Aussie, Aussie I’d love to see him win the Cup, but it doesn’t happen very often.

“That suffix is so important in this race – I don’t think people realise.”

Gai Waterhouse and training partner Adrian Bott’s leading fancy in the Melbourne Cup comes in the form of Sir Lucan, the lightly raced full-brother to 2020 Cox Plate winner Sir Dragonet.

Owned in similar interests to Sir Dragonet, the veteran of just eight starts sits 24th in Monday’s latest order of entry and still risks being jumped by Saturday’s Hotham Handicap winner.

“He’s down at Weribee and I was there yesterday supervising him and he’s a very young horse,” Waterhouse explained.

“He’s probably a preparation away but he comes in with 50 kilograms on his back and he is proven over the distance.”

Sir Lucan won the Listed Yeats Stakes in May and last raced in September when eighth in the Group 1 St Ledger. Sportsbet have the son of Camelot marked a $19 chance for the Melbourne Cup.

183831.png

Sir Lucan (IRE)

Age 4YO
Sex Horse
Colour Bay
Prize Money $152,926
Last 5 -248-
Career 8-2-1-0

The Waterhouse and Bott team's second runner sits firmly in the final field of 24 in Knights Order, who finished ninth in last Wednesday’s Geelong Cup.

“Already in the Cup is the Queensland Cup winner in Knights Order,” she said.

“He will run in the Lexus on Saturday which is 2600 metres and then hopefully back up in the Cup.

“Not done a lot these days but it’s certainly a tried and true way, old fashioned a bit.”

189843.png

Knights Order (IRE)

Age 7YO
Sex Gelding
Colour Bay or Brown
Prize Money $467,501
Last 5 -9119
Career 20-7-0-2

Waterhouse said the stringent pre-race veterinary requirements that has seen less than normal international participation this year was an opportunity for local trainers to claim back the Cup, just as Waterhouse did in 2013 with Fiorente.

“It’s certainly harsh but it does keep a lot of the overseas horses away and it gives the locals a bit more of a chance,” Waterhouse said.

“They’ve had a pretty good bite of the cherry for the last 35 years so it’s nice to see the local horses being able to represented.

“Horses who are being trained in Australia, it’s nice to see the money stay in Australia.

“I’m not saying don’t have imports - but it’s nice to see a few more of our own here – it is our race.”

The Victoria Racing Club officially launched the Melbourne Cup Carnival on Monday with tickets going on sale for 5500 patrons for Derby Day on Monday afternoon.

Gay's never short of an opinion or story, been great for racing and Tom would be proud, she's a year younger than me and I can remember her when she was an actress on 'Young Doctors' she did acting work for a while in the UK in the 70's also, just can't forgive her for marrying a Waterhouse, .......her Dad forgave her, but I struggle.......

Cassidy: Incentivise could win Cup by 100 yards

Two-time Melbourne Cup winner Jim Cassidy is predicting a big win by Incentivise on Tuesday. Picture: AAPTwo-time Melbourne Cup winner Jim Cassidy is predicting a big win by Incentivise on Tuesday. Picture: AAP

By Ray Thomas
08:06pm • 31 October 2021
Comments

Staying sensation Incentivise’s front-running, take-no-prisoners style of racing has drawn inevitable comparisons with the great Might And Power.

Incentivise likes to lead or race on-pace and dominate his rivals with a combination of his high-cruising speed, superior stamina and sheer ability.

The Peter Moody-trained Incentivise’s extraordinary Caulfield Cup win last month, when he raced wide without cover but still powered away to win by nearly four lengths is the reason he is the shortest priced Melbourne Cup favourite since Phar Lap in 1930.

Might And Power had a similar racing pattern to Incentivise in 1997 when he completed the coveted Caulfield Cup-Melbourne Cup double.

As a reporter for The Daily Telegraph, I was on assignment in Melbourne for the spring carnival that year and remember watching Might And Power’s Caulfield Cup next to Les Carlyon, one of the nation’s greatest authors and journalists.

As the race unfolded, Carlyon mentioned how well Might And Power was travelling in front, how his rivals were under pressure, and marvelled at the gelding’s giant stride.

When Might And Power slipped clear around the final turn and straightened up with a huge lead, Carlyon fell silent.

Carlyon didn’t utter a word and watched in awe as Might And Power streaked away to win the Caulfield Cup by 7½ lengths.

Finally, Carlyon turned to me and said: “Ray, you will never see a Caulfield Cup win like that again.’’

Racehorse Might And Power ridden by jockey Jim Cassidy winning 1997 Caulfield Cup, 18/10/97. Turf A/CT

Might And Power and Jim Cassidy destroying their rivals in the 1997 Caulfield Cup.

Sadly, Carlyon passed away two years ago but I had reason to remember those words as Incentivise did his demolition job on the Caulfield Cup field last month.

I wondered what Carlyon would have thought of racing’s latest staying star?

But Carlyon was also an admirer of Might And Power’s jockey, Hall of Famer Jim Cassidy, so I contacted the retired rider for his opinion.

Carlyon’s had a way with words – his prose always eloquent, captivating.

Cassidy is no wordsmith like Carlyon – who is! – but the jockey also has a way of making his point very succinctly.

Brutally honest, Cassidy says it how he sees it. He doesn’t pull any punches, either.

“I thought Incentivise’s win in the Caulfield Cup was as good as Might And Power’s win,’’ Cassidy said.

“To do what the horse did from 18 alley, roll forward, be four and five wide at the first turn, then three wide and four wide for the rest of the race was outstanding.

“Then when (jockey) Brett Prebble took off on Incentivise when he did around the turn, he rode him with arrogance like how I used to ride Might And Power.

“The ride of Prebble’s and the training performance of Moody’s was something else.

“I’ll say it again, I rate Incentivise’s Caulfield Cup win as one of the greatest mile and a half wins I’ve ever seen.’’

Carlton Draught Caulfield Cup

Incentivise was equally impressive in his Caulfield Cup rout, according to Cassidy. Picture: Racing Photos via Getty Images

Incentivise was penalised 1.5kg for his Caulfield Cup win and must shoulder 57kg in the $7.75m Lexus Melbourne Cup (3200m) at Flemington on Tuesday.

The marathon Cup distance represents a whole new pain barrier for Incentivise.

He hasn’t raced beyond 2500m in his 12-start career and the only horse to shoulder 57kg or more and win the Melbourne Cup in more than 40 years was the legendary Makybe Diva with 58kg when she completed her Cup three-peat in 2005.

But it could be argued Incentivise covered plenty of extra distance in the Caulfield Cup given the run he overcame during the race and Cassidy is adamant the gelding is better equipped to run the 3200m of the Melbourne Cup than Might And Power.

“I’ve always said Might And Power wasn’t a true two-miler,’’ Cassidy said.

“At 2400m, there was not a horse in the world that could have beaten him when he was at his best.

“He was able to win a Melbourne Cup because he was a champion.’’

Might And Power, for all his power, strength and size, was always a bundle of nervous energy before, during and after a race.

He was a handful to ride, often wanting to over-race and go as hard and fast as he could.

Cassidy knew Might And Power couldn’t race fiercely and win a Melbourne Cup and his main concern was to get the great stayer to relax during the race.

“I think the Melbourne Cup was the one race where I could have ridden him on a piece of cotton,’’ Cassidy said.

“Jack (Denham) had Might And Power trained to the minute and the horse listened to me and stayed relaxed.

“I got him out of the mounting yard on the pony and I kept talking to him to keep him relaxed.

“During the race, he got into a lovely rhythm, he didn’t want to go too fiercely and he held off Doriemus to win the Cup, he was amazing that day.’’

1997 Melbourne Cup. A jubilant Jim Cassidy on Might and Power just after winning the race. Picture: Peter Ward

Jim Cassidy after winning the 1997 Melbourne Cup with Might and Power.

Cassidy pointed out that Incentivise seems to settle better in his races than Might And Power and is convinced he will have no trouble staying a strong 3200m in the Melbourne Cup.

“Incentivise will lead and relax for Prebble – this horse will stay for sure,’’ Cassidy said.

“The thing that impressed me about him in the Caulfield Cup was the way he broke away from them in the last 100m. He was so strong through the line.

“He gets into a nice rhythm and he loves it, he had his ears pricked the other day, it was amazing to watch.

“Put it this way, I wouldn’t want to be riding anything else in the Melbourne Cup than Incentivise.’’

Cassidy was on a roll now and asked this writer what the record winning margin was for the Melbourne Cup.

When I replied “eight lengths” – held jointly by Archer (1862) and Rain Lover (1968) – Cassidy predicted Incentivise could break the record on Tuesday.

“Whatever beats him will win the Melbourne Cup but what can beat him?’’ Cassidy said.

“I made a statement to the boys at trackwork this morning that Incentivise could win this by 100 yards!

“The further this bloke goes the further he will get away from them. This will be a chase, not a race.

“Incentivise first, daylight second. He will lead and sh– in!”

Corey Brown column: Why they can’t beat Incentivise in Cup

Brett Prebble riding Incentivise to a dominant win in the Caulfield Cup. (Photo by Vince Caligiuri/Getty Images)Brett Prebble riding Incentivise to a dominant win in the Caulfield Cup. (Photo by Vince Caligiuri/Getty Images)

By Racenet
09:57am • 31 October 2021
Comments

DUAL MELBOURNE CUP-WINNING JOCKEY COREY BROWN HAS PENNED HIS THOUGHTS AHEAD OF TUESDAY’S GREAT RACE

Melbourne Cup Day is like no other for a jockey.

I know they are now comparing it to The Everest, but as a jockey you use all the tools in a Melbourne Cup – patience, timing, judgment, nerve, fitness – it all comes into play in the Melbourne Cup.

The pressure on Incentivise’s jockey Brett Prebble is going to be huge on Tuesday because this horse is the shortest-priced favourite in the Cup for a long, long time.

Brett’s ability to deal with pressure is one of his great strengths.

I used to watch Luke Nolen when he rode Black Caviar and you could see the pressure in him but Brett is similar to Hugh Bowman … ice cold.

He’s a lot more aggressive than Hughie but as far as dealing with pressure that’s the style of bloke that he is.

He’s the right rider in the room to deal with the situation that he’ll be faced with on Tuesday, without a doubt.

As a jockey in the Melbourne Cup, the moment I was able to relax was when my horse put foot to grass after stepping out of the roses and cantering down to the start.

The pressure is still there but all the build up is behind you.

b97da03381167ecc58ba953583b5b7fe

Corey Brown after winning the Melbourne Cup on Rekindling in 2017

It’s just you and your horse and the 23 others.

The focus is all about the horse relaxing.

You want to give them a nice warm up going to the start because you are going two miles, but you don’t want them too wound up.

The first 1000m is definitely the hardest part of the race for the jockey.

Twenty of the 24 jockeys all want to be in a similar position so you really need to have your wits about you.

There’s a lot of screaming and yelling at each other in the run to the post the first time.

It’s very intense.

In a perfect world, Brett’s going to have Incentivise away from the rail, up near the speed and he won’t want any bumping or pushing.

He looks to me to be a horse that needs a bit of room to get him going.

Leaving the straight and out to the seven furlongs, along the Maribyrnong River, if everything is going to plan and the horse is rolling along with the flow, this will be the most enjoyable part of the race for Brett but it won’t be long until things start to hot up again at around the 1000m.

From when they turn off the back straight to the 1000m, the whole contest changes.

Brett’s probably going to be up in the first few pairs and pressure that comes into the race from the 1000m is like a wave that comes up behind you.

03/11/2009 WIRE: 03/11/2009 WIRE: Shocking with jockey Corey Brown celebrates after winning the Melbourne Cup horse race at Flemington Racecourse, in Melbourne, Australia, Tuesday, Nov. 3, 2009. Crime Scene came in second with Mourilyan third. ( AP Photo/Andrew Brownbill) F8322473 F8322473

Corey Brown celebrates after winning the Melbourne Cup on Shocking in 2009.

He’ll be ready and that’s when his nerve is really going to be tested – that’s when he’ll get down and dirty.

If everything has gone to plan, at the half-mile, Brett and Incentivise are going to be like a coiled spring, ready to explode.

At the point of the home turn, let’s say the horse has got four gears, he’s going to be at the top of third and given what I’ve seen of Incentivise, Brett knows him like the back of his hand and there’s no waiting for the Clock Tower.

He’s a different type of horse, you’ve got to cut him loose.

I’d say Brett will go full bore around the 400-350m mark, it will be on and I reckon it will be over by the time he gets to the 300-250m mark.

The more I look at the race, the easier I think it gets for Brett and I can’t see how they will beat him.

Corey Brown won the Melbourne Cup on Shocking in 2009 and Rekindling in 2017.