Bit Of A Yarn

Will Incentivise do a Vow and Declare? Lay him at your peril.

12 minutes ago, nomates said:

Anamoe a bit special , fresh up around Kembla Grange and had a setback with a foot issue , how do they beat him in the Golden Rose ?

Shows you Entriviere's win was good.  I thought the pace was on the whole way in the 3 yr old race but they went slower.  1:10.24 Last 600m 34.19.

8 minutes ago, Chief Stipe said:

Well you can't knock that run.  Remind me not to follow @SLB2.0's tips.

Incentivise - every time someone came up to have a look he put his head down and found another gear!

The best part of that race was that the trackside producer didn't waste our time with post race interviews and made sure we didn't miss R8 at Goulburn .

Incentivise was huge , off the bit at the 500 and just kept lifting , only going to get better too , P Moody is a genius .

33 minutes ago, Chief Stipe said:

Shows you Entriviere's win was good.  I thought the pace was on the whole way in the 3 yr old race but they went slower.  1:10.24 Last 600m 34.19.

.25 of a second in it , quarter of a length , considering Anamoe isn't a sprinter i think i'll give him a pass . Saying that Entriviere had lengths up her sleeve and i think she would appreciate a bigger track as well .

4 minutes ago, nomates said:

Incentivise was huge , off the bit at the 500 and just kept lifting , only going to get better too , P Moody is a genius .

I don't think he was "off the bit" - he is just a laid back dude and relaxes beautifully.  You can see him put his head down and go up another gear every time another horse came up to him.

5 minutes ago, Chief Stipe said:

I don't think he was "off the bit" - he is just a laid back dude and relaxes beautifully.  You can see him put his head down and go up another gear every time another horse came up to him.

He came off at the corner , maybe because he's relaxed but the jock had to get him wound up , but that's to be expected , he's a stayer , obviously going to be more comfortable when he steps up in distance .

Incentivise proves he’s a Group 1 force with Makybe Diva win

Incentivise holds off a late challenge by Mo'unga to win the Makybe Diva Stakes. Picture: Getty ImagesIncentivise holds off a late challenge by Mo’unga to win the Makybe Diva Stakes. Picture: Getty Images

By Gilbert Gardiner
07:08pm • 11 September 2021
Comments

Hear the boom? Incentivise is the real deal and deserved top seed for the Melbourne Cup.

The ex-Queensland galloper, who toyed with opposition in the Sunshine State winning six on the trot by a combined 42 lengths, came to Flemington and conquered in the Group 1 Makybe Diva Stakes.

Incentivise led all the way under a cool, calm, composed but, most importantly, confident Brett Prebble steer to hold out proven Group 1 star Mo’unga and Cox Plate champion Sir Dragonet.

“I thought he had a nice enough time in front and he got his action good and got on his right leg and it was game over,” Prebble said.

“Once he got on his right leg … I was never really doubtful, but it is different under race speed and pressure, but today he was really balanced and really relaxed which is a bonus.

“I tried to give him as soft a run as I could just because I thought there is a long way to go.

“They came at him, I let them get up and about and I asked him for an effort and he dug deep.

“If I had asked him from the top of the straight I reckon he would have opened up and given them something to chase, but I wanted to give him an easy time.”

Runner-up Mo’unga impressed, finishing hard after being strung up in traffic on turning for home while Sir Dragonet launched out of the pack for a tantalising Underwood Stakes-Cox Plate trial.

While Incentivise had them covered the further they went, Prebble, who won the 2012 Melbourne Cup aboard Green Moon, stopped short of any bold September declarations.

Publicly, anyway.

“It’s a long way to go, a lot of water to go under the bridge,” Prebble, who boasts a perfect record at Group 1 level this season in Melbourne after winning the Memsie Stakes, said.

“I’ve been in this position before but you have to be here on the first Tuesday in November with the horse in form as well.

“I think he’s good enough to win it, but, as I said, there’s a lot of water to go under the bridge.”

Melbourne Racing

Brett Prebble looks over his shoulder after piloting Incentivise to victory. Picture: Getty Images

Trainer Peter Moody also tempered expectations on Incentivise, keen to see the star stayer return to the races next month in the Group 1 Turnbull Stakes.

“There is nice improvement to come,” Moody said.

“It probably wasn’t the way we intended to go about it but … as we’ve seen, the further he gets into a race, he builds nicely.

“Even though they got to him, you knew he was going to keep going.

“It was very encouraging at this stage of the spring, we’ve only got one more run between now and the (Melbourne) Cup which will probably be the Turnbull (Stakes).

“It’s time to build on it and hopefully we can get him on his Melbourne leg at some stage.”

image.gif

image.gif

image.gif

image.gif

Well not long ago there was speculation that Incentivise wouldn't get enough weight to make the Melbourne Cup.  Now he might get too much!!

Incentivise’s Cup weighting game

Incentivise steams to victory in the Group 1 Makybe Diva Stakes. Picture: Vince Caligiuri—Getty Images.Incentivise steams to victory in the Group 1 Makybe Diva Stakes. Picture: Vince Caligiuri—Getty Images.

By Trenton Akers
03:18pm • 13 September 2021
Comments

Incentivise’s tenacious victory in the Group 1 Makybe Diva Stakes is set to see his Melbourne and Caulfield Cup weight skyrocket, with handicappers to announce weights for the spring features on Tuesday.

The decision to run the boom stayer from Toowoomba on Saturday at Flemington, before the Cup weights were announced will see him lumped with a much higher weight than if handicappers were to go off his Queensland form which saw him win the Group 3 Tattersall’s Cup by an incredible 12-1/4 lengths.

Executive General Manager of Racing at Racing Victoria Greg Carpenter confirmed Incentivise’s new status as a weight-for-age Group 1 winner will see him stung in the weights.

“I have to admit going into the release of the Melbourne Cup weights – prior to Saturday I only had one piece of evidence to base him off, that was his win in the Tattersall’s Cup where he beat Mirage Dancer who has been a very good horse but isn’t at its best,” Carpenter said.

“The margin was there for everyone to see but I thought he was very impressive on Saturday, (jockey) Brett (Prebble) had to use him a little bit to find the front and I must admit when Tofane loomed up, I thought he was going to be under real pressure but he found well.

“Now we have two pieces of evidence on which to base our assessment when the weights come out.”

Carpenter said Saturday’s win would not be judged a “penalty”, as no weights have previously been allotted for the Cups.

All Star Mile Launch

Executive General Manager Racing at Racing Victoria Greg Carpenter. Picture: Mark Stewart.

“The truth of the matter is the weights aren’t determined yet and when they are declared, you use every performance a horse has in its profile to make your assessment,” he said. “So absolutely, his winning performance on Saturday will make part of his assessment and the weight we determine for him.

“He is a Group 1-winning weight-for-age horse. He’s not going to be a top weight but he is going to be higher in the weights than he would have been had he not run Saturday.”

Managing owner and former trainer Steve Tregea confirmed his freak galloper would head to the Group 1 Turnbull Stakes in three weeks’ time next before beginning his assault on the Caulfield and Melbourne Cups.

Carpenter confirmed the Turnbull Stakes would be a penalty-free race for Incentivise, should he perform as many expect him to, being an equal $4 favourite with Zaaki.

“Once the weights are declared for the Caulfield and Melbourne Cup, he can’t be penalised for winning the Turnbull Stakes for either race,” Carpenter said.

Incentivise’s freak performance on Saturday franked his glittering Queensland campaign where he won his last four starts for Tregea by a combined 37.8 lengths.

Read all news by
Trenton Akers

Incentivise weighted on performance not potential

Incentivise was given 55.5kg for the Caulfield and Melbourne Cups. Picture: Racing Photos via Getty ImagesIncentivise was given 55.5kg for the Caulfield and Melbourne Cups. Picture: Racing Photos via Getty Images

By Brad Waters
05:33pm • 14 September 2021
Comments

Racing Victoria’s chief handicapper Greg Carpenter says the Caulfield and Melbourne Cup weights favour boom galloper Incentivise.

Carpenter announced 55.5kg handicaps for Incentivise in both the Caulfield and Melbourne Cups.

Incentivise was weighted 2.5kg below the Caulfield Cup topweight Sir Dragonet and the Melbourne Cup topweight Twilight Payment.

TAB left Incentivise as a $4.50 favourite to win the Caulfield Cup and an $8 chance in Melbourne Cup betting.

He said the RV handicapping panel found Incentivise difficult to assess but could only rate Incentivise on his performances to date.

Incentivise would not attract a penalty if he won his likely next start in the Turnbull Stakes but winning the Caulfield Cup would render him liable for a Melbourne Cup weight penalty.

Carpenter added the Peter Moody-trained galloper would have received more weight if projected performances were considered.

“If he was handicapped on potential, he’d be the top weight,” Carpenter said.

Carpenter said the fact Incentivise posted his maiden Group 1 win in last Saturday’s Makybe Diva Stakes cost him a penalty of about 2kg.

“He would have definitely got less weight than what he’s got now,” Carpenter said.

SUPERCOACH RACING IS BACK! SIGN UP FOR YOUR CHANCE TO WIN $10,000 AND WEEKLY PRIZES UP TO $1000

6b63008995cd4b089117c6df88ba050f

Greg Carpenter says the weights for the Caulfield Cup still favours Incentivise. Picture: AAP

“Had he not won the Makybe Diva Stakes, even if he ran second or third, I’d say he would have got around 53.5kg.

“Irrespective of the margin, it was an enormously impressive win.”

Carpenter said Incentivise achieved an international rating of 117 for his Makybe Diva Stakes win.

That figure left Incentivise only three points short of making the top 50 in the last round on the World’s Best Racehorse Rankings.

Carpenter said Incentivise’s owners had contacted him before and after the Makybe Diva Stakes to discuss the gelding’s likely Caulfield and Melbourne Cup weights.

He said the horse’s owners produced other examples of weights horses with similar records have received in recent years, including last year’s South Australian Derby winner Russian Camelot.

Carpenter argued Incentivise was better off at the weights than Russian Camelot was last year.

“When you take into account the fact Russian Camelot was a northern hemisphere three-year-old last year, Incentivise is 1kg better off,” Carpenter said.

• 2 weeks later...

In on Saturday , running in the Turnbull Stks , G1 2000mtrs , Verry Eleegent also accepted but she is also in at Sydney but over a mile , rain forecast for both meetings so not sure where they will run with her , if Cox Plate is her goal might stick to the mile in Sydney . Going to be interesting if she goes to Melbourne tho .