Bit Of A Yarn

Riccarton track

Ludwig

33 minutes ago, Freda said:

No.

A stinking cold easterly.

Mind you,  howling nor'westers have been responsible for some very fast times down the old 5f chute!

We've actually had this debate a long time ago.  Statistically it is an even split between East and West.  The prevailing wind across the South Island is from the West but as the land temperature warms in the spring you get a sea breeze from the East kicking in specifically for Christchurch.  

The reality is that the colder NE leaves a more lasting impression.

In saying that a La Nina is forecast for this summer so you can expect more wind from the NE quarter.

40 minutes ago, Chief Stipe said:

We've actually had this debate a long time ago.  Statistically it is an even split between East and West.  The prevailing wind across the South Island is from the West but as the land temperature warms in the spring you get a sea breeze from the East kicking in specifically for Christchurch.  

The reality is that the colder NE leaves a more lasting impression.

In saying that a La Nina is forecast for this summer so you can expect more wind from the NE quarter.

Statistically, I've lived in ChCh for 69 years.

I can assure you that the easterly is the bane of ChCh in the spring,  the nor'west kicks in a bit later. 

In the December/January/Feb school holidays we used to get thoroughly dessicated....and it used to make hay carting a shade awkward as you had to struggle to stand up against it as well as hanging on to the bales.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Freda said:

Statistically, I've lived in ChCh for 69 years.

I can assure you that the easterly is the bane of ChCh in the spring,  the nor'west kicks in a bit later. 

In the December/January/Feb school holidays we used to get thoroughly dessicated....and it used to make hay carting a shade awkward as you had to struggle to stand up against it as well as hanging on to the bales.

Wasn't good for the hayfever either.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, nomates said:

i think that experience wins that debate , short as it was .

I'm not entering into it.  Spent 20 years in Christchurch.  Also did a lot of work studying the spring climate there for a company called Applefields.

As with most things we tend to remember weather that affects us most.  For example I vividly remember 7 degree frosts when working in a Christchurch market garden but that didn't happen everyday but I can't remember the days it didn't.

On 21/09/2021 at 12:44 PM, nomates said:

Another thought , why have you not been paroled yet ?

Bloody-minded stupidity...!    actually, I like Christchurch, winds - and the odd earthquake - notwithstanding.

Big enough to be interesting, in terms of cultural activities, dining experiences, etc..close to the beach, handy to the delightful Akaroa and other Banks Peninsula gems,  easy drive to the Coast,  the magnificent high country,  also ski-ing, hunting, fishing, all available and close enough.

Something for everyone, really.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Freda said:

Bloody-minded stupidity...!    actually, I like Christchurch, winds - and the odd earthquake - notwithstanding.

Big enough to be interesting, in terms of cultural activities, dining experiences, etc..close to the beach, handy to the delightful Akaroa and other Banks Peninsula gems,  easy drive to the Coast,  the magnificent high country,  also ski-ing, hunting, fishing, all available and close enough.

Something for everyone, really.

Haha , i thought you had the shits over the comment from the no response , but obviously you were just considering your response . Spent 5/6 weeks there many years ago after splitting with my first partner , moved into a sleepout at my sisters , looked for work but nothing worked out so headed back north . Found it too flat and spread out and as it was July it was bloody freezing , so no not my cup of tea . 

Went back for a sale in August about 13 years ago , just reinforced my thoughts , happy for others to like it .

• Haha 1

32 minutes ago, nomates said:

Haha , i thought you had the shits over the comment from the no response , but obviously you were just considering your response . Spent 5/6 weeks there many years ago after splitting with my first partner , moved into a sleepout at my sisters , looked for work but nothing worked out so headed back north . Found it too flat and spread out and as it was July it was bloody freezing , so no not my cup of tea . 

Went back for a sale in August about 13 years ago , just reinforced my thoughts , happy for others to like it .

At least you get seasons unlike Auckland where you get months of miserable drizzle.  Rarely rains properly in Auckland (from a West Coaster perspective) so never gets a good clean.

They say Auckland can get four seasons in one day?  Try going from 33 degrees in a norwester to 11 degrees in a south wester within half an hour.  Beautiful to watch from on top of the Port Hills.

• Like 1
  • Champ Post 1
  • Fake News! 1

2 hours ago, nomates said:

And here I was considering moving back (home) to Canterbury later next year.

21 minutes ago, KickintheKods said:

The best thing about Christchurch, and in particular Riccarton, is the plane ride out of there. Close the joint down. It's not worth the time or effort -  what was the last decent horse to come out of there.... Little Brown Jigger ???

Christchurch.png

When was the last decent horse to come out of Ellerslie?

• Like 1

Do you mind Chief.

It's now known as Brian Tamaki Mataura and there has been so many champions of the terf that has graced it's magnificent pristine grass top, I'd be here till the next election listing them.

Let's just state facts - North Island Champions = squillions

South Island Champions = 2..............Wingatui's Show Me the Gate to go Home and the Washdyke Warrior, Grey Neigh.

Riccarton = Zilch, Nadda, nutting 

1 hour ago, KickintheKods said:

Do you mind Chief.

It's now known as Brian Tamaki Mataura and there has been so many champions of the terf that has graced it's magnificent pristine grass top, I'd be here till the next election listing them.

Let's just state facts - North Island Champions = squillions

South Island Champions = 2..............Wingatui's Show Me the Gate to go Home and the Washdyke Warrior, Grey Neigh.

Riccarton = Zilch, Nadda, nutting 

But you aren't comparing Apples with Apples.

You still haven't given us any champs originating from Ellerslie!  Carbine probably the closest!!!

As for the South Island don't forget:

Phar Lap
Nightmarch
Princess Mellay
Monte Carlo
Seamist
Canterbury Belle

I'm just getting started!