Bit Of A Yarn

Drumroll Please - the numbers are in.......

We had quite a debate earlier this week about who contributed more(based on their distributions ex NZTR) to the industry coffers

Well well well Saturday Kumara total turnover $2.115m a splendid 16.31% increase on 2021 and only just behind Awapuni's feature day as the top weekend turnover performer

ARC Sunday total $1.893m an increase of 6.65% versus 2021

But the gong for the highest increase of the week goes to ..........(where's that effing drum  roll?)

The Reefton Jockey Club no less with an increase of 23.06% year on year

I always knew I was the best!(not to mention the most modest

On course is a little sad for you big city fans as well - for the eight meetings during the week three of the top four turnover were where?(you guessed it!) - the Coast!

I shall leave BOAYers to draw their own conclusions shall I?????

• Like 2
  • Champ Post 2
  • Fake News! 1

46 minutes ago, Chief Stipe said:

Why did you omit to post the turnover for Reefton?

Don't be an utter dick.  Are you trying to suggest I have something to hide?  Total $1.184m(versus Ellerslie's $1.893m on a weekend

Reefton oncourse (including phone betting) 90.3K versus Ellerslie - with a weekend date, a catchment of 1.5million people, and a heap of feature(read well funded) races - 89.7k.

You might be able to fit the entire Kumara crowd on one floor of Ellerslie's public grandstand  but from the sounds of things you could have fitted Ellerslie's entire crowd in Kumara's grandstand last weekend

• Like 3
  • Champ Post 1
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Reefton said:

Don't be an utter dick.  Are you trying to suggest I have something to hide?  Total $1.184m(versus Ellerslie's $1.893m on a weekend

Reefton oncourse (including phone betting) 90.3K versus Ellerslie - with a weekend date, a catchment of 1.5million people, and a heap of feature(read well funded) races - 89.7k.

You might be able to fit the entire Kumara crowd on one floor of Ellerslie's public grandstand  but from the sounds of things you could have fitted Ellerslie's entire crowd in Kumara's grandstand last weekend

Wow thats pretty telling, no wonder we are heading down the sink hole ...

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

24 minutes ago, Reefton said:

Reefton on course including phone betting, how do they know such figures ?,

Can they track where a bet is taken from ?

21 minutes ago, mikeynz said:

Reefton on course including phone betting, how do they know such figures ?,

Can they track where a bet is taken from ?

Yes they can now Mike.  Presumably the bets on course must go through their mobile cell sites?  It is new technology anyway but the Club's get the benefit of a percentage

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Reefton said:

Those are actually quite fascinating figures. I know some argue that turnovers don't matter, not sure why not, but I think they are very valuable information. 

It is also worth noting that Reefton's total stakes were approx $105,000 whereas Ellerslie's were around $400,000. Most of that stake money is centrally funded, so you can see why some think there is gross inequality.

When Reefton on a non holiday Wednesday can do a higher on course turnover than Ellerslie on a weekend, that really does indicate once again that perhaps NZ Racing's problems do not centre around the small country clubs.

Perhaps a few less high staked northern meetings and a  few more southern meetings might be a good idea.

Wingatui this weekend will be interesting. They get an allocation of feature meetings way beyond what logic might suggest. I have no idea what their turnovers are like these days, but they did used to under perform in that respect. Of course their drain on the industry will be nothing like Trentham this weekend.

Wouldn't it be great if these turnover figures were more readily available to interested parties?

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Doomed said:

It is also worth noting that Reefton's total stakes were approx $105,000 whereas Ellerslie's were around $400,000. Most of that stake money is centrally funded, so you can see why some think there is gross inequality.

The problem is more around the willy nilly way meetings are thrown at the  " Metropolitan " tracks without any real strategic placement .

With those figures , and they are not figures in isolation , we can clearly see why our industry is leaking money .

• Like 3

Attendances at sports events,races in Auckland are for the people living there very poor, probably only a few days they turn up for Ellerslie, probably hardly ever for Alexandra Park.

I guess there are more other alternatives in the big city as opposed to the rural areas.

I dont think Coasters need to worry about the future, they have their place just as much as the bigwig clubs, as long as the public and the trainers support it  it will keep on keeping on, the fields this year were generally pretty good, keeping the amenities up to scratch, that's always gunna be a issue.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Reefton said:

Jesus H Christ, those figures are impressive, what does that tell you about grassroots, that's what's so sad, no, infuriating......Petone just doesn't get it, it's a culture thing now and that's passed Petone by, big city NZ has no romance with the turf, going to the races, watching the horses, mixing with family and mates, sharing a chardy, or a beer or 3, and knowing every year you can replicate a super day......Ellerslie's day in the sun has set.....well and truly, the flagship has sunk, and Trentham other than one or two days will go same way.......but the committee will still piss up as if there's no tomorrow and Petone will do the 'ostrich thing'.........congratulations to Reefton, and their brilliant committee for keeping grass roots racing front and centre!

• Like 4

24 minutes ago, Joe Bloggs said:

Jesus H Christ, those figures are impressive, what does that tell you about grassroots, that's what's so sad, no, infuriating......Petone just doesn't get it, it's a culture thing now and that's passed Petone by, big city NZ has no romance with the turf, going to the races, watching the horses, mixing with family and mates, sharing a chardy, or a beer or 3, and knowing every year you can replicate a super day......Ellerslie's day in the sun has set.....well and truly, the flagship has sunk, and Trentham other than one or two days will go same way.......but the committee will still piss up as if there's no tomorrow and Petone will do the 'ostrich thing'.........congratulations to Reefton, and their brilliant committee for keeping grass roots racing front and centre!

Don't know whether we deserve congratulations JB but we have it a lot easier row to hoe that say a country club running late Autumn or early winter.  Reefton in mid summer at 30 degrees on a good 3 is a lot more attractive than (say) an 11 degree Oamaru heavy 11 winter Tuesday.  So we are lucky that Kumara holds us in that holiday spot.

I have said before dragging the big Clubs down serves no purpose whatsoever as we desperately need them to do well BUT when they(the likes of NZTR) try to make out that the ARC(say) is comparable to Randwick or somewhere and they are not even doing $100k on course  it sort of makes you wonder at the mentality of the people feeding the myth.  I am not baggng the ARC - I would bloody hate their job - but PLEASE don't tell me they are the be all and end all of NZ racing

And in regards your Trentham comment well they have rooted the best galloping week of the year by splitting it into three Saturdays instead of three racedays in one week.  The costs of attending for a trainer/owner have just doubled.  Madness

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

17 minutes ago, Chief Stipe said:

Have you adjusted that increase to factor in the extra race this year?  9 last year - 10 this year.

And has he factored in that Ellerslie can start 18 horses over most distances whereas the Coast tracks can only start 12. As we all know the bigger the fields the bigger the turnover. So with everything else being equal Ellerslie's t/o should be much higher.

And we are also told that people want to bet on the "flash" horses running around for the big stakes. Apparently there is no interest in low grade horses running around for $12,000, that is what so much of NZTR's policies are based on. This example seems to indicate that that isn't really correct, so their policies are possibly based on very false assumptions.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Reefton said:

And in regards your Trentham comment well they have rooted the best galloping week of the year by splitting it into three Saturdays instead of three racedays in one week.  The costs of attending for a trainer/owner have just doubled.  Madness

It is really the ARC and NZTR that have stuffed Trentham, not that WRC really needs any help in that direction. So the big boys can't even play properly amongst themselves.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Doomed said:

It is really the ARC and NZTR that have stuffed Trentham, not that WRC really needs any help in that direction. So the big boys can't even play properly amongst themselves.

I might be being parochial , but the 3 days of the Wgtn cup meeting for mine was the best meeting , i'm talking 70's and 80's , when Trentham was choka and the crowd rose as one when the horses hit the 250 mtrs there was nothing to beat it .

I well remember when my dad took me to my first cup day as a 14yo , on the rail by the birdcage as Blue Blood, Mop and Panagor flashed across the line in the Telegraph is something that will stay with me till my dying day , the noise , no one knew who had won  , absolutely electric . The only way i get that buzz now is going outside and touching the hotwire on the fence .

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, Doomed said:

And has he factored in that Ellerslie can start 18 horses over most distances whereas the Coast tracks can only start 12. As we all know the bigger the fields the bigger the turnover. So with everything else being equal Ellerslie's t/o should be much higher.

And we are also told that people want to bet on the "flash" horses running around for the big stakes. Apparently there is no interest in low grade horses running around for $12,000, that is what so much of NZTR's policies are based on. This example seems to indicate that that isn't really correct, so their policies are possibly based on very false assumptions.

Touche

50 minutes ago, Doomed said:

I guess the real reason NZTR like to perpetuate the myth is so that they can justify their existence,  as in reality what this really shows is that the industry would be just fine without them.

39 minutes ago, nomates said:

I might be being parochial , but the 3 days of the Wgtn cup meeting for mine was the best meeting , i'm talking 70's and 80's , when Trentham was choka and the crowd rose as one when the horses hit the 250 mtrs there was nothing to beat it .

I well remember when my dad took me to my first cup day as a 14yo , on the rail by the birdcage as Blue Blood, Mop and Panagor flashed across the line in the Telegraph is something that will stay with me till my dying day , the noise , no one knew who had won  , absolutely electric . The only way i get that buzz now is going outside and touching the hotwire on the fence .

Best meeting,best track best fun in the country hands down!

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, nomates said:

Lots of amazing finishes in the Telegraph and Thorndon in those days, even a dead heat. I recall Bonecrusher racing in the mile, Tricavaboy flashed down the outside to beat him. The SI used to win it regularly: Grey Way, Polly Porter,, Powley, Jonny Alone, Just Tommy.

Seemed to be much better races when they were handicaps, but sadly not the way of the world these days. Apparently having 8 mares racing around is considered more exciting.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Doomed said:

Lots of amazing finishes in the Telegraph and Thorndon in those days, even a dead heat. I recall Bonecrusher racing in the mile, Tricavaboy flashed down the outside to beat him. The SI used to win it regularly: Grey Way, Polly Porter,, Powley, Jonny Alone, Just Tommy.

Seemed to be much better races when they were handicaps, but sadly not the way of the world these days. Apparently having 8 mares racing around is considered more exciting.

Ha could spend all day mentioning all the great races i watched , and that would just be the summer racing but some of the best was through the May to Sept period and heavy tracks dominated .

Trentham had 8 meetings last season , the epitome of a white elephant .

1 hour ago, nomates said:

Geez, Otaki has lot it's allure/mojo........when I lived there instead of 'dating' the Hotwire  we all went down to Kere's restaurant for a fish and chip feed.....and kicked on at the Jube playing pool,......now that was living.....

1 hour ago, nomates said:

My best day in racing(not necessarily from the punt) was winning a race on Wellington Cup day with NGH on board.  Wasn't there as I did not want to hex the horse but biggest thrill I've had

• Like 4