Bit Of A Yarn

New Trackwork Licensing Programme Effective 1 February 2022.

Now elite trackwork riders?

NZTR Trackwork Rider programme

NZTR
14 January 2022

A new assessment programme for those applying for trackwork rider licences will become mandatory from Tuesday, 1 February 2022.

The need for change and the raising of licensing standards was flagged in the Industry Reshaping document which outlined NZTR’s Strategic Priorities when released in April 2021, and has been referred to in the recently released Training & Licensing Consultation Paper. Significant work has been undertaken by NZTR to help address the safety of trackwork riders and this programme has been developed in consultation with the NZ Trainers’ Association. 

The new programme will assess individuals who are applying for a track work licence for the first time and will ensure their basic riding ability and industry knowledge has been assessed before a licence is issued.

The programme will be run by the NZTR education and training team and will include regional assessors. The assessors are skilled and experienced licence holders who will sign-off riders once they display the minimum standard of competency to ride trackwork at half pace on an assessment day. 

After an open “expressions of interest” call, followed by the process of interviews and inspections assisted by the NZ Trainers’ Association, NZTR has contracted Donavan Mansour, (North) Barbara Verlinden (Lower South Island), Ross Beckett (Canterbury) and Kim Clapperton (Central District) to fulfil these positions.

Anyone wishing to attain a NZTR track work riding licence from 1 February 2022, will be required to follow a three-step process:

• Lodge a C62 licence application form with the NZTR Licensing department.
  • Sign up for the NZQA track rider programme AND complete the associated trainee papers along with the Massey University multi-choice online industry test; and
  • Book and attend a practical riding assessment day at their preferred regional accreditation centre.

NZTR will provide more detailed guidance on the process on application.  As is noted above, the prospective trackwork rider will complete the associated Primary ITO paperwork and, an online industry based multi-choice test to demonstrate knowledge of equine welfare, trackwork rules and safety procedures. 

Like a drivers’ licence assessment, the online Massey test will consist of 20 randomly selected questions.  A pass mark of 18 out of 20 is required and there is the option to re-sit.

Where language or learning difficulties occur, the prospective trackwork rider can seek assistance from their employing trainer.  There is an expectation that the trainer will take an active interest in helping their staff member achieve the licence. The trainer is expected to allow time for the applicant to complete the online industry test and the NZQA track rider programme.

Following completion of the Primary ITO and Massey assessments, the prospective trackwork rider will take part in the practical assessment. The practical element will include a basic test of strength and fitness; groundwork; saddling; and riding at progressive levels from confined area and to a training track.

A successful assessment will allow the rider to ride slow work up to half-pace (18 seconds per 200m). To ensure a robust system of accreditation the NZTR Riding Master will also be involved in the assessment.

The rider will be eligible to upgrade to a Fast Work riding licence once they have demonstrated competency riding fast work. This assessment will be completed by the employer and an experienced jockey or trackwork rider. They must complete and sign the C63 licence application form and lodge it with the NZTR licensing department. Please note, the two people endorsing the applicant’s skills are declaring that the rider has the competency to ride fast work on a registered Thoroughbred horse.

The fee of $110 includes both the assessment and the trackwork rider licence fee of $30.  There is no additional fee to upgrade to a Fast Work licence.

To get the employee to the stage where they are demonstrating the skills to ride half-pace in a safe manner, the employer is expected to have a suitable and officially retired Thoroughbred they can use to provide training.  If they do not have a suitable Thoroughbred in the workplace the people listed below as Tuition Providers are available to teach trackwork skills privately.

Because of these changes, NZTR will no longer issue a Stablehand (Riding) licence. Going forward, every new rider who wishes to ride racehorses at trackwork must have completed the trackwork rider assessment and must have either a Slow Trackwork Rider or a Fast Trackwork Rider Licence.

NZTR APPOINTED TRACKWORK RIDER ASSESSORS

AUCKLAND

Donovan Mansour

Byerley Park

Karaka

021-0788355

donovan@bryleypark.co.nz

CENTRAL DISTRICTS

Kim Clapperton
Awapuni

manleylodge@xtra.co.nz

027-2219738

CANTERBURY
Ross Beckett

445 Pound Road 

Yaldhurst 

lrbeckett@windowslive.com

DUNEDIN

Barbara Verlinden

Mosgiel

barbaraverlinden@hotmail.com

TRACKWORK RIDING TUITION PROVIDERS

AUCKLAND

Donovan Mansour

Byerley Park

Karaka

021-0788355

donovan@bryleypark.co.nz

WAIKATO

Phillips Equine

Hamilton

Telephone (027) 271 9852

www.phillipsequine.co.nz

MATAMATA
Phil Stevens – Northwood Farm

Matamata

northwoodfarm@xtra.co.nz

021-521916

CANTERBURY
Casey Lunn

35 McLeods Rd Sefton 

North Canterbury 

kc.lunn@hotmail.com

DUNEDIN

Barbara Verlinden

Mosgiel

SOUTHLAND

Jade Ward

Reigning Downs

Invercargill

021-588338

jade@reigningdowns.nz

CENTRAL DISTRICTS

Kim Clapperton
Awapuni

manleylodge@xtra.co.nz

027-2219738

Edited by curious

17 minutes ago, Chief Stipe said:

At face value it looks OK what they are doing.  I guess the additional cost and barrier to entry is justified if it prevents problems occurring like the McKee case.

Perhaps but they are also wasting a lot of peoples time and money having to do this, with NZTR face value is usually of very little value!

All over rover.........the waiting time to get your horse worked will now be untenable, all well and good in theory, practically, well nigh near impossible.

Having lived and worked in South Africa and seeing their jockeys academy at Summerveld I mooted a carbon copy for NZ.......I did this 10 years ago, their academy model is a world beater, it pumped out so many good riders, and this flowed onto the Zulu/Xhosa/Shangaan/etc who ride the majority of the work at South Africa's major training centre.

The brain donors at NZTR didn't listen, a building that is now pumping out propaganda and such rubbish to make it look like they know what they are doing, being reactive to the McKee affair, this will now most certainly spell the death of the smaller trainer, be very careful what you wish for Petone, it will come back to bite you on the arse.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Joe Bloggs said:

All over rover.........the waiting time to get your horse worked will now be untenable, all well and good in theory, practically, well nigh near impossible.

Having lived and worked in South Africa and seeing their jockeys academy at Summerveld I mooted a carbon copy for NZ.......I did this 10 years ago, their academy model is a world beater, it pumped out so many good riders, and this flowed onto the Zulu/Xhosa/Shangaan/etc who ride the majority of the work at South Africa's major training centre.

The brain donors at NZTR didn't listen, a building that is now pumping out propaganda and such rubbish to make it look like they know what they are doing, being reactive to the McKee affair, this will now most certainly spell the death of the smaller trainer, be very careful what you wish for Petone, it will come back to bite you on the arse.

So you accept the current system doesn't work (you've proposed an alternative in the past) but what exactly is wrong with this new proposal?

Oh fuck i don't even know where to start , these lot are complete tools , trying to look professional and failing miserably .

All i know from what i have seen over the last few years is that the number of competent trackriders is a small proportion of those riding track work , going on my situation when i last had 4 in work 4 years ago i would have been lucky to have got 1 of them worked each day if competence was the criteria .

The good track riders are now sitting pretty , they will all get tied into stables and on whatever money they want .

• Like 3
  • Champ Post 1

7 minutes ago, Chief Stipe said:

So you accept the current system doesn't work (you've proposed an alternative in the past) but what exactly is wrong with this new proposal?

Numbers , numbers , numbers , even the big stables are struggling for track riders . And this isn't me being in any way racist , just a realist , prepare for the Asian invasion , once the borders open there will be a massive influx .

• Like 2
  • Champ Post 1

8 minutes ago, nomates said:

Numbers , numbers , numbers , even the big stables are struggling for track riders . And this isn't me being in any way racist , just a realist , prepare for the Asian invasion , once the borders open there will be a massive influx .

7 minutes ago, Joe Bloggs said:

What Nomates said.

But if that happens it is even more reason to have a system in place to ensure standards and quality.

12 minutes ago, nomates said:

Oh fuck i don't even know where to start , these lot are complete tools , trying to look professional and failing miserably .

All i know from what i have seen over the last few years is that the number of competent trackriders is a small proportion of those riding track work , going on my situation when i last had 4 in work 4 years ago i would have been lucky to have got 1 of them worked each day if competence was the criteria .

The good track riders are now sitting pretty , they will all get tied into stables and on whatever money they want .

How do you propose to raise the standard of NZ race Jockey's if you don't start with standards at the entry level?

1 minute ago, Chief Stipe said:

But if that happens it is even more reason to have a system in place to ensure standards and quality.

Certainly but in the initial period there are going to issues , we are already short on competent track riders , the ones that are doing it but are short on ability are going to be caught by the short and curlies , if they even apply , many will be scared off by this process and walk away .

My issue is yet again they just dump a proposal with a months notice , no on the ground consultation , no real talking to those who are struggling with the shortage already .

Why not a phase in process .

If this kind of thing was dropped onto NZTR to check their competency with a months notice they would be a massive fail and shutting their doors .

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Chief Stipe said:

How do you propose to raise the standard of NZ race Jockey's if you don't start with standards at the entry level?

Very few track riders are working towards being a jockey , most of the ones i have known over the years have been in the industry for a while and are just trying to earn a living .

• Like 2

Add ELITE trackwork riders to the list which includes TRAINERS,JOCKEYS,OWNERS and STUDS.

The small owner trainer is gunna get hurt for sure.Just another play at getting the Racing Industry to return to being known as the SPORT OF KINGS where the ELITE  will mix with the ELITE.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, nomates said:

Very few track riders are working towards being a jockey , most of the ones i have known over the years have been in the industry for a while and are just trying to earn a living .

or have been there done that and quite simply don't need such beauracracy .

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, mumbles said:

Add ELITE trackwork riders to the list which includes TRAINERS,JOCKEYS,OWNERS and STUDS.

The small owner trainer is gunna get hurt for sure.Just another play at getting the Racing Industry to return to being known as the SPORT OF KINGS where the ELITE  will mix with the ELITE.

Well even the " ELITE " are going to struggle under this proposal .

• Like 1

1 hour ago, curious said:

Now elite trackwork riders?

NZTR Trackwork Rider programme

NZTR
14 January 2022

A new assessment programme for those applying for trackwork rider licences will become mandatory from Tuesday, 1 February 2022.

The need for change and the raising of licensing standards was flagged in the Industry Reshaping document which outlined NZTR’s Strategic Priorities when released in April 2021, and has been referred to in the recently released Training & Licensing Consultation Paper. Significant work has been undertaken by NZTR to help address the safety of trackwork riders and this programme has been developed in consultation with the NZ Trainers’ Association. 

The new programme will assess individuals who are applying for a track work licence for the first time and will ensure their basic riding ability and industry knowledge has been assessed before a licence is issued.

The programme will be run by the NZTR education and training team and will include regional assessors. The assessors are skilled and experienced licence holders who will sign-off riders once they display the minimum standard of competency to ride trackwork at half pace on an assessment day. 

After an open “expressions of interest” call, followed by the process of interviews and inspections assisted by the NZ Trainers’ Association, NZTR has contracted Donavan Mansour, (North) Barbara Verlinden (Lower South Island), Ross Beckett (Canterbury) and Kim Clapperton (Central District) to fulfil these positions.

Anyone wishing to attain a NZTR track work riding licence from 1 February 2022, will be required to follow a three-step process:

• Lodge a C62 licence application form with the NZTR Licensing department.
  • Sign up for the NZQA track rider programme AND complete the associated trainee papers along with the Massey University multi-choice online industry test; and
  • Book and attend a practical riding assessment day at their preferred regional accreditation centre.

NZTR will provide more detailed guidance on the process on application.  As is noted above, the prospective trackwork rider will complete the associated Primary ITO paperwork and, an online industry based multi-choice test to demonstrate knowledge of equine welfare, trackwork rules and safety procedures. 

Like a drivers’ licence assessment, the online Massey test will consist of 20 randomly selected questions.  A pass mark of 18 out of 20 is required and there is the option to re-sit.

Where language or learning difficulties occur, the prospective trackwork rider can seek assistance from their employing trainer.  There is an expectation that the trainer will take an active interest in helping their staff member achieve the licence. The trainer is expected to allow time for the applicant to complete the online industry test and the NZQA track rider programme.

Following completion of the Primary ITO and Massey assessments, the prospective trackwork rider will take part in the practical assessment. The practical element will include a basic test of strength and fitness; groundwork; saddling; and riding at progressive levels from confined area and to a training track.

A successful assessment will allow the rider to ride slow work up to half-pace (18 seconds per 200m). To ensure a robust system of accreditation the NZTR Riding Master will also be involved in the assessment.

The rider will be eligible to upgrade to a Fast Work riding licence once they have demonstrated competency riding fast work. This assessment will be completed by the employer and an experienced jockey or trackwork rider. They must complete and sign the C63 licence application form and lodge it with the NZTR licensing department. Please note, the two people endorsing the applicant’s skills are declaring that the rider has the competency to ride fast work on a registered Thoroughbred horse.

The fee of $110 includes both the assessment and the trackwork rider licence fee of $30.  There is no additional fee to upgrade to a Fast Work licence.

To get the employee to the stage where they are demonstrating the skills to ride half-pace in a safe manner, the employer is expected to have a suitable and officially retired Thoroughbred they can use to provide training.  If they do not have a suitable Thoroughbred in the workplace the people listed below as Tuition Providers are available to teach trackwork skills privately.

Because of these changes, NZTR will no longer issue a Stablehand (Riding) licence. Going forward, every new rider who wishes to ride racehorses at trackwork must have completed the trackwork rider assessment and must have either a Slow Trackwork Rider or a Fast Trackwork Rider Licence.

NZTR APPOINTED TRACKWORK RIDER ASSESSORS

AUCKLAND

Donovan Mansour

Byerley Park

Karaka

021-0788355

donovan@bryleypark.co.nz

CENTRAL DISTRICTS

Kim Clapperton
Awapuni

manleylodge@xtra.co.nz

027-2219738

CANTERBURY
Ross Beckett

445 Pound Road 

Yaldhurst 

lrbeckett@windowslive.com

DUNEDIN

Barbara Verlinden

Mosgiel

TRACKWORK RIDING TUITION PROVIDERS

AUCKLAND

Donovan Mansour

Byerley Park

Karaka

021-0788355

donovan@bryleypark.co.nz

WAIKATO

Phillips Equine

Hamilton

Telephone (027) 271 9852

www.phillipsequine.co.nz

MATAMATA
Phil Stevens – Northwood Farm

Matamata

northwoodfarm@xtra.co.nz

021-521916

CANTERBURY
Casey Lunn

35 McLeods Rd Sefton 

North Canterbury 

kc.lunn@hotmail.com

DUNEDIN

Barbara Verlinden

Mosgiel

SOUTHLAND

Jade Ward

Reigning Downs

Invercargill

021-588338

jade@reigningdowns.nz

CENTRAL DISTRICTS

Kim Clapperton
Awapuni

manleylodge@xtra.co.nz

027-2219738

Casey Lunn...?   Jeez...

• Like 1

Guest Whyisit
3 hours ago, nomates said:

Certainly but in the initial period there are going to issues , we are already short on competent track riders , the ones that are doing it but are short on ability are going to be caught by the short and curlies , if they even apply , many will be scared off by this process and walk away .

My issue is yet again they just dump a proposal with a months notice , no on the ground consultation , no real talking to those who are struggling with the shortage already .

Why not a phase in process .

If this kind of thing was dropped onto NZTR to check their competency with a months notice they would be a massive fail and shutting their doors .

I think you may be a little off tangent NM.

‘This new policy applies to new entrants to trackriding.

Existing track work riders should be operating under a licence already and are /or will be covered in the new rules set for 1st August.

19 minutes ago, Whyisit said:

I think you may be a little off tangent NM.

‘This new policy applies to new entrants to trackriding.

Existing track work riders should be operating under a licence already and are /or will be covered in the new rules set for 1st August.

Yes you are correct just re read that paragraph , so now we will have 2 different sets of rules applying , odd . Or perhaps they will bring the existing riders under the new rules when re applying for next season .

I don't know that there is going to be a rush of newbies anyway , at least until the borders open .

Do know why suddenly this has become such an issue anyway , maybe a bit of butt covering after the McKee incident . Should be working on dragging up the standard of race riding by apprentices .

4 hours ago, Chief Stipe said:

This has nothing to do with jockeys. It's what we have to do to be eligible to ride trackwork. Two completely different occupations.