Bit Of A Yarn

WTF! Race 1 on the AWT at Riccarton!

The most appalling display of race riding I have ever seen in Race 1 at Riccarton.  Evey Jockey should be hauled before the Stipes and charged.

Doesn't any Jockey in the South Island know how to judge pace?

They were literally walking at one stage - describing it as a canter would be overstating the pace!

Appalling.  

I await the Stipes report with interest.  I'm sure they have the stopwatches working in the bunker now measuring the sectionals.  Maybe not.....

From a punters perspective Trackside is showing the horses galloping down on the grass to the AWT.

Why can't the horses go straight to the AWT from the birdcage and gallop/canter/trot to the start in the AWT?  I'd like to see the horses action on the AWT NOT the heavy turf that they're not actually going to race on!

1 hour ago, Chief Stipe said:

The most appalling display of race riding I have ever seen in Race 1 at Riccarton.  Evey Jockey should be hauled before the Stipes and charged.

Doesn't any Jockey in the South Island know how to judge pace?

They were literally walking at one stage - describing it as a canter would be overstating the pace!

Appalling.  

I await the Stipes report with interest.  I'm sure they have the stopwatches working in the bunker now measuring the sectionals.  Maybe not.....

McNab and Allpress were in the race too...clearly they can't either.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Freda said:

McNab and Allpress were in the race too...clearly they can't either.

Well Allpress has been gun shy now for a couple of seasons.  If you take charge and push out or on you get hammered by the RIB.  Plus I'm picking that she can't rely on many of the other Jockey's knowing how to ride!  I doubt she will pitch up next season.

9 minutes ago, Chief Stipe said:

Regardless @Freda was my assessment of race 1 correct or do I have slow eyes?

Yeah, it was a shocker, but I'm not dirty on my jock, the horse was ridden as I asked.

He is smallish,  delicate,  and from his N.I form ( which was  poor ) used to pull hard in sprints and fail to find the line. 

His pedigree indicates he should be better over a middle distance but he has had to learn to settle, relax and breathe properly. 

The girls have done a super job with him, but he does have a short run, so must be held up.

Going forward when the pace slackened - which was the obvious thing to do from an onlookers point of view- was not right for him.  He'd have fallen in a heap. 

He's found the line impressively ( home in 35 off the front,  so how well did he come home ? ) pulled up well and learned heaps. I'm happy.  And I own him so don't have to try and justify anything to anybody .

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Freda said:

And I own him so don't have to try and justify anything to anybody .

To be honest I didn't know you had a horse in the race.  So I'm not pointing the finger at you.  

I just hate seeing horses reefing, clipping heels and climbing over everything just because there is no pace in the race.

The country's top two jockeys were in the race and couldn't run in the first four in an eight horse field, so I find it a bit harsh criticising the Southern jocks. One of the northerners took the initiative in a slow run race, which would probably be considered the clever thing to do, and ended up running nowhere. 

The runner up zoomed home well, much like the CWJ winner later on the day who came from last to win.

The race was won by probably the best currently active Southern jockey.

• Like 1

I'm not a fan of the AWT for several reasons: it was funded by the PGF despite it being located in a major metropolitan centre, which I find quite disgusting; it cost at least $15m up front when it is basically a glorified training track; and the instigators of it primarily see it as a way to eliminate lots of provincial racetracks (quite bizzare when you consider it was funded by the PGF).

Despite all that though I thought it provided pretty good racing from the few races I saw today. It will quite probably end up the best of the three AWTs. Whether the SI can afford basically the racing equivalent of ChCh's covered rugby stadium is the big question.

I did note yet another South Canterbury winner today after a couple of winners from that region last Saturday, including the quinella in the open sprint. Bit ironic when the ChCh based administrators are trying to eliminate all racing in South Canty.

Interestingly, that open sprint winner was a 3yo filly. Bit sad when they have to race that far out of their class to get a start. You wonder if any of those administrators spotted that and thought perhaps they should have run a 3yo sprint: somehow I doubt it. Far too revolutionary.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Doomed said:

IWhether the SI can afford basically the racing equivalent of ChCh's covered rugby stadium is the big question.

Does the South Island need two covered stadiums ? Can it be justified ? Should the government fund it, Dunedin funded their own. Just use Forsyth more, Christchurch has the racetrack, Dunedin has the AW rugby ground, that seems fair.

Doomed, if they were too or  wanted to close one of Oamaru or Timaru, what would you do, a poster on here  running down the Oamaru Jockey club named Ludwig reckoned Oamarus future is harness racing only but if only one track was retained what are your thoughts.

2 hours ago, mikeynz said:

Does the South Island need two covered stadiums ? Can it be justified ? Should the government fund it, Dunedin funded their own. Just use Forsyth more, Christchurch has the racetrack, Dunedin has the AW rugby ground, that seems fair.

problem with Christchurch it wants the deluxe model covered stadium.  The drawings show it is round and how much extra cost is there in having rounded corners instead of squared up.  Price something similar to Dunedin's maybe with 5000 or so more seats(10000 more should be easy if you extend the ends a bit. They are living beyond their means and they already have outfits like that Horncastle arena or whatever it is called at Addington for a lot of events.

2 hours ago, mikeynz said:

Doomed, if they were too or  wanted to close one of Oamaru or Timaru, what would you do, a poster on here  running down the Oamaru Jockey club named Ludwig reckoned Oamarus future is harness racing only but if only one track was retained what are your thoughts.

Make no error HRNZ will smell blood when they close Geraldine, Rangiora  and Timaru and they will want to Oamaru next(and probably Blenheim and Nelson as well though Blenheim may be an issue is GoJ is correct).  And if HRNZ smell blood they will need NZTR's cooperation for the South Canterbury venues.  That won't be hard to get!   NZTR will love someone else leading the charge so they can say 'its not our idea'

One good thing about having a property in a tiny town like Reefton - if it sells they will get eff all for it so not the incentive to cash it up. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Doomed said:

The country's top two jockeys were in the race and couldn't run in the first four in an eight horse field, so I find it a bit harsh criticising the Southern jocks.

Really?  Lack of pace in NZ races is becoming endemic.

12 hours ago, Doomed said:

One of the northerners took the initiative in a slow run race, which would probably be considered the clever thing to do, and ended up running nowhere. 

Aren't you contradicting yourself?  On the one hand you say the North Island Jocekys did nothing then they showed initiative.  At least going forward gave the horse a chance - it had no chance sitting at the back reefing and falling over the heels of the horse in front.

The race was a farce.  Certainly not encouraging for the punter. 

Stipes Report:

POROTENE DUNDEE (L Allpress) - Began awkwardly losing ground. Improved forward to lead near the 1200 metres.

HEADS UP (K Mudhoo) - Got its head up in the early stages when racing keenly and being steadied away from heels. Stewards questioned rider K Mudhoo regarding the tactics he adopted near the 250 metres when electing to shift ground outwards as opposed to taking a run between SWEET VIRGINIA and GOING STEADY. Mr Mudhoo advised the mare had raced greenly and been reluctant to take the run between those runners despite his urgings therefore he elected to shift outwards to find clear racing room. Stewards noted Mr Mudhoo’s comments.

VITAL PERFECTION (M Taylor) - Over-raced through the middle stages due to the lack of tempo. Lost contact with the body of the field when the pace of the race increased passing the 1200 metres. When questioned regarding the performance rider advised the mare was left flat footed when the pace increased and was not suited to the changing tempo throughout the race. A post-race veterinary examination revealed no obvious abnormalities.

PACKING TAVI (T Jonker) - Raced three-wide without cover from near the 1000 metres. Held up in the run home until shifting ground inwards near the 150 metres to find clear racing room.

GOING STEADY (K Williams) - When questioned regarding the improved performance trainer Mr. S Woodsford advised the mare had benefitted from the step up in distance of today’s race.

On 6/30/2022 at 9:51 PM, Reefton said:

problem with Christchurch it wants the deluxe model covered stadium.  The drawings show it is round and how much extra cost is there in having rounded corners instead of squared up.  Price something similar to Dunedin's maybe with 5000 or so more seats(10000 more should be easy if you extend the ends a bit. They are living beyond their means and they already have outfits like that Horncastle arena or whatever it is called at Addington for a lot of events.

Make no error HRNZ will smell blood when they close Geraldine, Rangiora  and Timaru and they will want to Oamaru next(and probably Blenheim and Nelson as well though Blenheim may be an issue is GoJ is correct).  And if HRNZ smell blood they will need NZTR's cooperation for the South Canterbury venues.  That won't be hard to get!   NZTR will love someone else leading the charge so they can say 'its not our idea'

One good thing about having a property in a tiny town like Reefton - if it sells they will get eff all for it so not the incentive to cash it up. 

Not much point in chasing Nelson Reefton

The A&P Association own it and the Trotting Club pay a very high lease figure

3 hours ago, Michael said:

Not much point in chasing Nelson Reefton

The A&P Association own it and the Trotting Club pay a very high lease figure

Well you might not think so(on the face of it)

Timaru and Riccarton are in the same boat.  They don't own their land only lease it but ......

The NHRC might be paying a high rent but as perpetual leasee(which I assume they are) they have a massive asset to sell (as do Riccarton and Timaru)

Imagine what the Richmond track would be worth in Nelson's bouyant real estate market.  Timaru's the same though not as much.  Remember Riccarton didn't own their land but negotiated a fortune for relinquishing only a portion of it

The A&P Association could retain a chunk for their own purposes and sell off the balance.  You might think that won't happen but if HRNZ were to declare Nelson surplus to requirements they can seize their assets and  the right to access a block like that in perpetuity would be worth a fortune.  Remember HRNZ are then in the drivers seat in terms of negotiating with the Club and I don't even think the club could relinquish their lease beforehand because the Act will(I imagine) cover 'land or an interest in land'(which a lease is)

I see from its financial statements that the Club is a 50% partner in a 'Richmond Park Camp Partnership' with the A& P Society which got its  50% share in 2019 ex the now defunct Nelson Jockey Club for $1.  Presumably NHRC did the same thing(sold their 50% for $1 to this Richmond Park outfit).  I am sure the boys got good legal advice but with an asset of that value I am equally sure HRNZ and/or NZTR would be quite happy to go to court to test it.  There is also not a lot of lease being paid according to the 2020 financial statements.

I hope I am wrong but I am a little dubious of all these arrangements clubs entered into prior to the Act coming into force.  The only one which I can see as being watertight was the straightout giveaway Westland entered into BUT if Hokitika was a decent sized city I would not have trusted NZTR not to challenge that as well.  That Nelson real estate has to be worth tens of millions if not a hundred million and it would be well worth a test in court if it came to that.

When you are a true country club like ours or Westland the property is worth bugger all(maybe $300,000 in our case and that would be split two ways) so hardly worth grabbing but when there is a fortune at stake..........

It could well be interesting

Yes, notwithstanding the 'Deed of Gift'  and the associated contingincies wrt Riccarton, a portion of that land was released without too much difficulty. It wouldn't have been outside the bounds of possibility to do the same to the rest.

2 hours ago, Freda said:

Yes, notwithstanding the 'Deed of Gift'  and the associated contingincies wrt Riccarton, a portion of that land was released without too much difficulty. It wouldn't have been outside the bounds of possibility to do the same to the rest.

the right to lease or occupy a piece of ground in perpetuity(ie forever) is most definitely an incredibly valuable asset for a Racing Club especially where that piece of ground is extremely valuable.  Which (from the sounds of things) is how the New Plymouth thing got cocked up - the council apparently claiming the right was granted to the NP Jockey Club(???) then that organisation changing to Racing Taranaki.  Changing the entity is pretty dangerous in those scenarios(as would be losing your incorporated society status).

And if you were a committee member who let it go on purpose I would not be surprised to see an HRNZ or NZTR action launched for not working towards the stated aims of the organisation

I am starting to sound like a sympathiser for those wankers but remember this is potentially a lot of money for the industry and they aren't afraid to lawyer up(NZTR being known to contract Bell Gully on occasion).