Bit Of A Yarn

Are the A/W's already becoming a white elephant ???

nomates

48 minutes ago, Huey said:

Any truth to the rumour Awapuni AWT is so tight they can only have 8 starters per race? Couldn't be true?

I've looked at the Awapuni AWT recently and it is very tight. I'll try to have another look when passing this week. Probably fine for slower track work and may be jump outs or trials but I doubt I'd want to race one on it. Not really designed for that, especially given the above soft tissue injury issues connected with polytracks.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Freda said:

Working and racing should not be mandated as to the surface desired, IMO.    Some choice should be available for trainers/horses alike, given the exigencies of location, etc.  To be forced to race and/or work on an unsuitable surface is not really the way it should be.

That is the point some of the extreme AWT advocates don't seem to get. Have AWTs by all means, if we can afford them, but as an extra option rather than replacing existing, perfectly suitable, grass track meetings and virtually forcing trainers to race on them.

• Like 2
  • Champ Post 1

1 hour ago, Huey said:

Any truth to the rumour Awapuni AWT is so tight they can only have 8 starters per race? Couldn't be true?

Surely if that was the case it would have been clearly explained much earlier in the piece?  I suppose at least it means they could probably manage 8 race meetings.

• Haha 1

52 minutes ago, Doomed said:

Surely if that was the case it would have been clearly explained much earlier in the piece?  I suppose at least it means they could probably manage 8 race meetings.

I wouldn't take it for granted that they will continually fill the card , in fact i would go so far as to say that of the 3 A/W's the CD one will be the one to struggle the most , Cambridge has a huge net of horses and they still struggle most of the time , the SI has decent number of horses for no other reason than it is still where a lot of horses are sent for their last chance , the CD is chronically short of horses , more so in the winter when the A/W's will be used the most .

I can't be bothered looking back to find the posts but i said early last year that i had stopped in to watch a couple of races whilst waiting for the MIL having a scan , hadn't been to Awapuni for a couple of years so i sat there looking at the inside of the track and thinking that the turns on the A/W were going to be sharp and it would pretty much be a greyhound track , haven't been back since work began but i imagine my initial thoughts would still be correct by the sounds . 

But the trainers there don't really care they will have a first rate training track , plus if it is as tight as some are saying that is good news for Levin and Foxton for their J/O's and trials .

• Like 1

MEETING NEWS

Cambridge Trials Postponed until Thursday

The Cambridge trials have been postponed until Thursday. While there are no issues with the track itself, predicted wind and concern with water around the stabling area has meant that the club has taken the early decision to push back 48 hours.

Meeting News

Woodville Abandoned 14 July

The Woodville Meeting scheduled for Thursday 14 July has been abandoned. This decision was made after club reps, a jockey rep and the RIB inspected the track this morning. A large amount of rain has been received both overnight and today on an already particularly wet track. There is surface water both on the track and in surrounding areas. The Trentham nominations remain open until 9am tomorrow morning (Wednesday).

1 hour ago, curious said:

Meeting News

Woodville Abandoned 14 July

The Woodville Meeting scheduled for Thursday 14 July has been abandoned. This decision was made after club reps, a jockey rep and the RIB inspected the track this morning. A large amount of rain has been received both overnight and today on an already particularly wet track. There is surface water both on the track and in surrounding areas. The Trentham nominations remain open until 9am tomorrow morning (Wednesday).

This is absolutely great they do this , but they have to start getting off their butts and being more proactive. Where are the replacement meetings going to be held? It's absolutely essential that $$s are flowing through the industry somehow, Hawera called off twice now, Woodville and many others also.

They are simply too unflexible and have thus dug themselves into a hole with the track situation,  largely caused by the incompetence of BS and his Venue plan with a touch of the M report to really ram it home.

Surely the new CEO has enough sense and is brave enough to open the industry up again and properly utilize all its assets?

It's not good enough to continually blame the weather or tell the industry Trentham remains open , there surely needs to be a plan for this? How do we have a CEO & COO and hear or see absolutely no progress or backup plans for the industry? It's becoming beyond a clown show.

• Like 4

16 minutes ago, Huey said:

This is absolutely great they do this , but they have to start getting off their butts and being more proactive. Where are the replacement meetings going to be held? It's absolutely essential that $$s are flowing through the industry somehow, Hawera called off twice now, Woodville and many others also.

They are simply too unflexible and have thus dug themselves into a hole with the track situation,  largely caused by the incompetence of BS and his Venue plan with a touch of the M report to really ram it home.

Surely the new CEO has enough sense and is brave enough to open the industry up again and properly utilize all its assets?

It's not good enough to continually blame the weather or tell the industry Trentham remains open , there surely needs to be a plan for this? How do we have a CEO & COO and hear or see absolutely no progress or backup plans for the industry? It's becoming beyond a clown show.

Exactly. Why has the meeting not been transferred to another track?

I think I asked this before, but can't remember the answer. How close is the Awapuni AWT to being ready? Surely given the circumstances, and several months of winter to go, they could rush it open and fire in a few midweekers. Seems a waste of time opening it in the summer time.

4 minutes ago, Doomed said:

I think I asked this before, but can't remember the answer. How close is the Awapuni AWT to being ready? Surely given the circumstances, and several months of winter to go, they could rush it open and fire in a few midweekers. Seems a waste of time opening it in the summer time.

The latest report suggests they are considering that despite some weather related hold ups. Not scheduled to open for racing till May next year though. https://www.facebook.com/watch/?v=735207804186138

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Huey said:

They haven't got any plan , it's a bit rough expecting them to have a back up plan .

Whilst that comment is a bit tongue in cheek , I honestly believe they simply have know idea how to sort this situation out , they don't know where to start or what the end game should be . If they think that the A/W's and the new consortium and some slight improvement in low end stakes are going to fix anything they are deluded .

The current track situation isn't new , they have had years to sort this out , even prior to the advent of A/W's , but they have declining owner numbers , staffing issues thru out racing , a broken ratings system , a major issue with the standard of race day riding , a huge degrading of our black type racing , and the one i have been banging on about for the last 18 months , the loss of horses from our shore , both unraced and raced . This one along with the loss of owners could well be the final twist that strangles the industry . Yet i have not seen any real understanding or initiatives from the powers to try and stem and then reverse these losses . 

A clown show , i think not , clowns are supposed to make you smile , this lot are just bringing misery .

• Like 1
  • Champ Post 2

2 hours ago, nomates said:

Bugger , if only the A/W at Awapuni was operational they could have xfered , bugger bugger bugger .

Tellyawhat, why not transfer the Woodville/Trentham meeting to Riccarton? and do it now? give them a taste of what real racing is all about, subsidise the horses, throw in some real accommodation for owners trainers, bring along the CD riders that can sit on.....Parks and Allpress, Destination Canterbury could stump up, make it an expo, fancy dress on Fri night, Cantabs come as you are.......huge Calcutta and huge discounted liquor.......savoury saveloys and party pies and then everyone back to Pam's place for poker and blackjack, and those that can't make it back to their subsidised accommodation can crash on Pams sofa, floor, feed room.......but no pissing on the stable bedding, or any bedding for that matter, now if this doesn't make sense you're all arseholes with no view to the future, cos this is how we did it in the past, eh Nomates? and loved every bit of it.....ye haaaaa

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

25 minutes ago, nomates said:

They haven't got any plan , it's a bit rough expecting them to have a back up plan .

Whilst that comment is a bit tongue in cheek , I honestly believe they simply have know idea how to sort this situation out , they don't know where to start or what the end game should be . If they think that the A/W's and the new consortium and some slight improvement in low end stakes are going to fix anything they are deluded .

The current track situation isn't new , they have had years to sort this out , even prior to the advent of A/W's , but they have declining owner numbers , staffing issues thru out racing , a broken ratings system , a major issue with the standard of race day riding , a huge degrading of our black type racing , and the one i have been banging on about for the last 18 months , the loss of horses from our shore , both unraced and raced . This one along with the loss of owners could well be the final twist that strangles the industry . Yet i have not seen any real understanding or initiatives from the powers to try and stem and then reverse these losses . 

A clown show , i think not , clowns are supposed to make you smile , this lot are just bringing misery .

A bit ironic when you consider their main answer to all the industry's problem is to close lots of tracks.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Joe Bloggs said:

Tellyawhat, why not transfer the Woodville/Trentham meeting to Riccarton? and do it now? give them a taste of what real racing is all about, subsidise the horses, throw in some real accommodation for owners trainers, bring along the CD riders that can sit on.....Parks and Allpress, Destination Canterbury could stump up, make it an expo, fancy dress on Fri night, Cantabs come as you are.......huge Calcutta and huge discounted liquor.......savoury saveloys and party pies and then everyone back to Pam's place for poker and blackjack, and those that can't make it back to their subsidised accommodation can crash on Pams sofa, floor, feed room.......but no pissing on the stable bedding, or any bedding for that matter, now if this doesn't make sense you're all arseholes with no view to the future, cos this is how we did it in the past, eh Nomates? and loved every bit of it.....ye haaaaa

Parts of that are no actually all that silly. In years gone by if the NI was having a very wet winter trainers could send their horses down to race at Timaru and Oamaru to race on decent tracks. The poor man's Sunshine Coast.

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, Doomed said:

Parts of that are no actually all that silly. In years gone by if the NI was having a very wet winter trainers could send their horses down to race at Timaru and Oamaru to race on decent tracks. The poor man's Sunshine Coast.

Gotta luv that, the poor man's sunny coast, well to be frank, the sunny coast has so many kiwi accents it's impossible to get homesick, that and South African accents, it's truly the Costa del Bolto now, more expats than homegrown, room for plenty more but the fish and chips aren't as good, but the beer's colder........beaudy......

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, nomates said:

And what salaries are these two on? FFS you could offer half that and if you looked hard enough there'd be a few wino's in bus shelters that could step up and do a better job......FFS......WTF is going on, well we know what's going on don't we, you nailed it in your post, but there are more than a few that don't want change, ones's as old as God's dog and will move heaven and earth to curtail any change, sadly private agendas rule. But only if you have friends in high places......an oldie, but a goodie....

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Joe Bloggs said:

I like it , at least it's a plan , only one stumbling block , someone's not going to happy with you opening her place up as a backpackers , good luck with that bit .

Perhaps we can all take our horses to the Gold Coast for next years carnival and we can all crash at your place , Mrs Bloggs might not be to happy , but who cares , that's your problem .