Bit Of A Yarn

Are the A/W's already becoming a white elephant ???

nomates

2 minutes ago, Freda said:

It's still very new, and doesn't need to be hammered in wet weather.

And while I understand completely,  I find it ironic that a track destined for closure provides the only realistic grass gallop at this point.

I have long felt that the closure of Rangiora is an own goal that didn't need to happen.

• Like 4

58 minutes ago, curious said:

By an "own goal" you mean that the clubs concerned brought it on themselves?

Not exactly. 

Quite apart from the local history,which I won't go into;   the forced closure/acquisition of land assets, now legal, I feel will be detrimental to racing generally. 

I know many feel this.   If I'm wrong, and the industry turns itself around and becomes vibrant and successful,  I'll live with that.  We all want that, don't we?  ( and I have been wrong once or twice before...🤣🤣 )

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Freda said:

Not exactly. 

Quite apart from the local history,which I won't go into;   the forced closure/acquisition of land assets, now legal, I feel will be detrimental to racing generally. 

I know many feel this.   If I'm wrong, and the industry turns itself around and becomes vibrant and successful,  I'll live with that.  We all want that, don't we?  ( and I have been wrong once or twice before...🤣🤣 )

I suppose you have to give NZTR some credit, they are never wrong.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Freda said:

Not exactly. 

Odds on you're not wrong on this one.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

To those AWT sycophants todays decimated fields at the Sunshine Coast should be a warning, have you ever seen so many scratchings? 

Most QLD trainers have voted with their feet and with their Owners backing.

Many industry participants left school prior to or just after SC accreditation, however, I bet there's a plethora of tertiary degrees/diplomas etc within the suited brigade at HQ.....

Therefore with such brains trust why does common sense not resonate and prosper? I'd back the rank and file at the coalface to win a ''who wants to be a millionaire'' over the office animals anyday........do you not think after so many transferred meetings to the AWT the multitude of scratchings that ensue would spark alarm bells and hence urgent consultation with the trainers?

The meeting today will be run at a huge loss to the industry, no each way betting, the exotic pools at non sustainable levels and win/place a ducks bum.......the corporates must be shaking their heads, and on-course bookies will do SFA business today, gorgeous day that is here......

If NZ doesn't learn soon, and it wont with dunderheads like Sharrock and no hopers that trod the path before him creating a pathway to disaster then racing is well and truly rooted....

We'll never go under here due to the gambling culture, in 4 weeks when the carnivals start the pools will go through the roof, even during recession here the gambling thrives, it's the nature of the beast, as the good ship [canoe] Aotearoa sinks slowly into the financial abyss, as it surely will if China ever decide to go elsewhere for their milk products, the first industry to go will be the racing and breeding capers........the money squandered on AWT without picking up the phone to call race clubs here to ask as to why they pulled up their AWT will never be seen again, gone, pissed up against the wall, and for what?

Today, and if these nut jobs decide to do this again will be financial disaster to all other than the needy and the greedy.....

Not good for man and beast, the winners....the vets.......and the transport companies and of course the very few jocks with rides today, although that's questionable as it's such a great day many will be out fishing or surfing, the snapper are running and who doesn't like oven baked fresh snapper? Just Saying.....

• Like 1
  • Champ Post 1

5 minutes ago, Joe Bloggs said:

To those AWT sycophants todays decimated fields at the Sunshine Coast should be a warning, have you ever seen so many scratchings? 

Many industry participants left school prior to or just after SC accreditation, however, I bet there's a plethora of tertiary degrees/diplomas etc within the suited brigade at HQ.....

Therefore with such brains trust why does common sense not resonate and prosper? I'd back the rank and file at the coalface to win a ''who wants to be a millionaire'' over the office animals anyday........do you not think after so many transferred meetings to the AWT the multitude of scratchings that ensue would spark alarm bells and hence urgent consultation with the trainers?

The meeting today will be run at a huge loss to the industry, no each way betting, the exotic pools at non sustainable levels and win/place a ducks bum.......the corporates must be shaking their heads, and on-course bookies will do SFA business today, gorgeous day that is here......

If NZ doesn't learn soon, and it wont with dunderheads like Sharrock and no hopers that trod the path before him creating a pathway to disaster then racing is well and truly rooted....

We'll never go under here due to the gambling culture, in 4 weeks when the carnivals start the pools will go through the roof, even during recession here the gambling thrives, it's the nature of the beast, as the good ship [canoe] Aotearoa sinks slowly into the financial abyss, as it surely will if China ever decide to go elsewhere for their milk products, the first industry to go will be the racing and breeding capers........the money squandered on AWT without picking up the phone to call race clubs here to ask as to why they pulled up their AWT will never be seen again, gone, pissed up against the wall, and for what?

Today, and if these nut jobs decide to do this again will be financial disaster to all other than the needy and the greedy.....

Not good for man and beast, the winners....the vets.......and the transport companies and of course the very few jocks with rides today, although that's questionable as it's such a great day many will be out fishing or surfing, the snapper are running and who doesn't like oven baked fresh snapper? Just Saying.....

Great post Joe , but the brick wall is still winning . Why did they not scrap the races on Saturday and ask for new noms and acceptances for a meeting today on the A/W , surely that is doable in 2 days .

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, Joe Bloggs said:

Then why did they nominate and accept with their horses?  Are acceptance free in Queensland?

1 hour ago, Joe Bloggs said:

Therefore with such brains trust why does common sense not resonate and prosper? I'd back the rank and file at the coalface to win a ''who wants to be a millionaire'' over the office animals anyday........

Where were the "rank and file" when the decisions were made?  As silent and compliant as NZ's lot?

14 minutes ago, Joe Bloggs said:

Well they were silent, compliant? nah, voted with their feet, yep, you betcha.........hence the result, only way these tools will learn, RQ has been a basket case since Joh, nothings changed, Petone is a mirror image.

You're not making sense.  Why the large number of scratchings?  I gather there are non-acceptance fees i.e. if you nominate and don't accept you pay a fee.  However aren't there substantial scratching fees?  Therefore those who scratched for the Sunshine Coast meeting would have incurred a minimum of $115 per horse.  

As for compliance with regard to NZ's AWT's from what I've seen the majority of Trainers meekly took Winston's $30m handout.

1 minute ago, curious said:

They surely couldn't charge a scratching fee if a meeting is transferred or rescheduled from grass to an AWT.

Probably correct.  Yes the meeting was transferred.  @Joe Bloggs left this information out of his post.  No doubt those that had nominated for the Turf meeting were looking for a soft winter track which is what you @curious have been arguing.

Racing Queensland confirms that following the postponement of the

race meeting today, the meeting has been rescheduled and transferred to the Polytrack at Corbould Park, home of

on Monday, July 25.

9 minutes ago, Chief Stipe said:

You're not making sense.  Why the large number of scratchings?  I gather there are non-acceptance fees i.e. if you nominate and don't accept you pay a fee.  However aren't there substantial scratching fees?  Therefore those who scratched for the Sunshine Coast meeting would have incurred a minimum of $115 per horse.  

As for compliance with regard to NZ's AWT's from what I've seen the majority of Trainers meekly took Winston's $30m handout.

I'm not making sense? why ask me then? The secretary of the trainers association Cameron Partington does his best when meetings are cancelled here, he tries really hard, he's pretty good at his job, unlike some, trainers hate the track, owners tend to believe what their trainers tell them, and so they should, in many cases the acc fees are waived, especially when it goes up onto the joke, sorry AWT.......SFA want to run on it, some do, mostly attrition trainers, ........I back the trainers who snub the thing, it has it's place in the UK.......the feedback from many who have one here, not great, the newbie going in here at the Goldie will attract gazillions, NOT......the night racing under lights will be interesting, the bar/restaurant/night club with go off big time, cos it's the Goldie, the tote will be deserted.....IMO.....

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Chief Stipe said:

Probably correct.  Yes the meeting was transferred.  @Joe Bloggs left this information out of his post.  No doubt those that had nominated for the Turf meeting were looking for a soft winter track which is what you @curious have been arguing.

Racing Queensland confirms that following the postponement of the

race meeting today, the meeting has been rescheduled and transferred to the Polytrack at Corbould Park, home of

on Monday, July 25.

I too it you knew it was transferred, sorry, I should never assume anything, period.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Joe Bloggs said:

I too it you knew it was transferred, sorry, I should never assume anything, period.

To be fair Joe, none of those trainers accepted for an AWT, they accepted for a heavy grass track more than two hours further south. You are always going to get scratchings like that when a meeting is transferred to a totally different surface.

What is does show is that AWTs don't help prevent or mitigate abandonments. The only advantage they have is that an already scheduled AWT meeting is less likely to be abandoned than a traditional meeting. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Doomed said:

To be fair Joe, none of those trainers accepted for an AWT, they accepted for a heavy grass track more than two hours further south. You are always going to get scratchings like that when a meeting is transferred to a totally different surface.

What is does show is that AWTs don't help prevent or mitigate abandonments. The only advantage they have is that an already scheduled AWT meeting is less likely to be abandoned than a traditional meeting. 

Absolutely Doomed, no argument from me, I live a stones throw from the track, I know the feedback once they learned it was going to the AWT........more frowns than clowns, and let me tell you, there's lot of clowns in this industry, mostly wearing suits.

• Like 2

196k spread over 7 races at the Cambridge A/W today , is that really value for racing money . I didn't notice any discernible increase in betting to any other Cambridge meeting . What are they trying to achieve , i see they have increased a race next week to 30k .

Just worked it out , money wasted today is saved from the Otaki meeting .

• Like 2

1 hour ago, nomates said:

196k spread over 7 races at the Cambridge A/W today , is that really value for racing money . I didn't notice any discernible increase in betting to any other Cambridge meeting . What are they trying to achieve , i see they have increased a race next week to 30k .

Complete joke, doing anything and everything to make the AWT appear to be seen as the answer. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, nomates said:

7 and 9 in two of the $40,000 races, 6 and 7 in a couple of the others. Only 7 races in total. I wonder if those numbers fit with what was budgeted for these meetings?

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Doomed said:

7 and 9 in two of the $40,000 races, 6 and 7 in a couple of the others. Only 7 races in total. I wonder if those numbers fit with what was budgeted for these meetings?

I'd be interested to compare betting revenue [  not turnover ]  vs stakes paid.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Freda said:

I'd be interested to compare betting revenue [  not turnover ]  vs stakes paid.

At current yield average to earn $40,000 over $270,000 would have to be bet.  However in order to cover costs the turnover would need to be at least double that I.e. $540,000.

Hence we have back to back racing from every Timbuktu venue.

To put that into perspective the top turnover race for May 2022 was the Group 3 Rotorua Cup with a turnover of $320,000.

The fields will always be decimated on the Sunny Coast as another race meeting is just around the corner and owners would rather wait, not risk their charges on that goat track, in NZ it's the desperate that race as you don't have the luxury of constant race meetings, it boils down to the needy and the greedy.....simple. Injuries will follow, no doubt on that, so many pull up short, some from respiratory noise?? as reported by the jocks, my mate has just lost his horse for a long period to arterial fibrillation after running on the Ballarat surface........and his was a good horse with no previous/priors.....just one of hundreds over the past decade with Geelong and Toowoomba before that.

A good read on www.letsgohorseracing.com as it nails it........

• Like 2