Bit Of A Yarn

Addington struggling for horses to race?

Brodie

On 24/08/2022 at 6:03 PM, the galah said:

I'm not saying you don't have a point.

As to your figures.I see the proposed budget for 2021/2022 didn't have much change from the previous year.The main changes were Governance ,which board fees are part of,but not the sole contibutory factor, that increased by 50%..

$453,000 is budgeted for what was referred to as animal care/welfare. This appears to have been a new aspect, and was listed as being for the likes of rehoming programmes and support, horse traceability, operational costs of horse ambulance,etc.

also they are spending $453,000 on promotion which apparently goes to things like senz radio.That used to come out of tab funds.

Personally i think the animal care/welfare costs indicate there was a lack of funding of that area previously. There should be money spent on what they are going to spend it on for that.Its better to be pro active than reactive when it comes to those type of issues. 

I do wonder about the CEO and the boards ability to provide a unified message  and direction that creates positive thoughts amongst the grass roots level.

I don't think they have achieved that,or even come close. Sometimes it seems that they just say things to placate certain factions within the industry. Thats not real leadership,thats just weakness..

Huge waste of money Senz - harness treated very poor by poor presenters - I have given up on them!

Animal welfare is today a necessity - woke society win more than they loose .

Sports divide is as big as 3waters

People  have to realise good trainers are just good and feed three times better and train 3 times better and drive 5 times better  than the poor UDR trainer so stop bagging the stars of the sport .

Marketing is a total joke at National and Club level - pool  funds and put it out for tender to independent professional advertisers - contract for 3 years based on proposals from firms. 

The board is generally lightweight - of course some exceptions. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, LongOwner said:

Huge waste of money Senz - harness treated very poor by poor presenters - I have given up on them!

People  have to realise good trainers are just good and feed three times better and train 3 times better and drive 5 times better  than the poor UDR trainer so stop bagging the stars of the sport .

Marketing is a total joke at National and Club level - pool  funds and put it out for tender to independent professional advertisers - contract for 3 years based on proposals from firms. 

The presenters on senz being poor, who are you implying?

12 hours ago, LongOwner said:

Senz-I have never once listened to it.Such a shame they didn't keep the racing stations and just broadcast what was being said on the trackside channels.

Animal welfare-i agree. The horse is what is unique about racing,and having a pro active animal welfare policy is a must to create the proper perception to the public.

Sports divide-i guess that comment relates to the skills of the high achievers in the sport that you refer to.

I think you are getting carried away with your description of the gap between the best trainers and drivers .as compared to most others. But yes they must feed,train and drive them well.

But you lose me when you say..stop bagging the stars of the sport. Who actually does that? I don't know anyone that does.

What i do know is there is a lot of people who rue the fact that the legal additives,which legally enhance performance,are so much better now that the gap between those that use them and those that don't is much more noticeable. And of course,with that comes the difference in degree that  a hard run may have on future performance.And i know that the people who think that strongly support the enforcement around level playing field type rules,as its a given that some trainers,and some vets are always looking to help their horses performance.

I'm guessing that is the type of comment you refer to as bagging,and the reason you criticise the people who think that is because you can't make the argument about what they are saying,because you would know the merit of your argument on that topic is lacking.

Marketing-I always have thought for years that marketing is directed at the wrong people. In my opinion it should always be targeted at people with profiles similar to your customer base.At least the tab have an understanding of that.

HRNZ board being lightweights. I don't know any of them,but that seems a bit unfair.

I do however think a there is a general downplaying in the quality of the product that harness racing has,amongst most levels of those participating.

The negativity around the future is over emphasized . Negativity is contagious. Saying something over and over makes people believe its true. You can't help but think that the negative side of the future of harness racing is oversold,and the positive  side of the future is undersold.. Its all about mindset. Which is where industry leadership has a role in uplifting peoples mindset. Its fair to say they aren't achieving that.

• Like 3
  • Champ Post 1

On 8/24/2022 at 9:02 PM, Unhinged said:

Tell them their Dreaming 

I wouldn't waste my breath on them. It's just another tiresome northern based nutter who thinks that a gimmick like the Race will solve everything,_ when it does nothing to address basic issues of lack of horse numbers, no new trainers and owners entering the industry, and solid, sustainable grassroots support. 

• Like 4

12 hours ago, mikeynz said:

58 noms for Invercargill Friday, so not just Addington.

Not a great sign for the future down there unfortunately but Southlanders are resilient!

Problem down there is that they used to have so many more amateur trainers and this is probably declining in numbers?

The increased costs to an owner to race a horse nowadays just not make it financially viable for people so individual ownership is getting hit.

Unless the stake money increases significantly it is going to get harder to attract any new owners unless it is in syndicates.

Years ago stablehands worked long long hours for low wages.

Nowadays I am sure the wages bill has increased significantly so this has to be passed on to the owners, and this cost has not been seen in any increased stake money.

Difficult times ahead for many juggling the finances with all of lifes increased costs.

NZ TAB are not assisting harness racing by their draconian restrictions by way of restricting punters to pathetic amounts and the $1k ANTI -MONEY LAUNDERING BS!!!!!

4 hours ago, Brodie said:

Not a great sign for the future down there unfortunately but Southlanders are resilient!

Problem down there is that they used to have so many more amateur trainers and this is probably declining in numbers?

The increased costs to an owner to race a horse nowadays just not make it financially viable for people so individual ownership is getting hit.

Unless the stake money increases significantly it is going to get harder to attract any new owners unless it is in syndicates.

Years ago stablehands worked long long hours for low wages.

Nowadays I am sure the wages bill has increased significantly so this has to be passed on to the owners, and this cost has not been seen in any increased stake money.

Difficult times ahead for many juggling the finances with all of lifes increased costs.

NZ TAB are not assisting harness racing by their draconian restrictions by way of restricting punters to pathetic amounts and the $1k ANTI -MONEY LAUNDERING BS!!!!!

Its gunna be interesting to see how the gallops go in Southland this year, with Tyler scaling back, Taplins gone, Blair Edie, who knows what will happen there, it is actually the one or two horse trainers who keep things going but is there enough?

6 races at Ascot Park on friday, I spose for the few still turning up with small fields they probably do ok short term, problem being though how long can you sustain meetings with small fields and poor turnover ?

I thought Manawatu were the only ones running mini meetings, seem to becoming more prevalent across the board.

• Sad 1

Only eight races to be run on Friday night.

Unfortunately 4 of the 8 have only 7 starters which is indeed very poor.

Punters won’t bother too much although the owners of the starters have a pretty good chance of getting stake money.

The industry is not in a very healthy situation currently and things need to change or things are going to get to a dire situation.

There are not any new punters or owners coming thru in good enough numbers to make things viable!

• Like 1

Even the NZ cup , having rating 120 horses racing against rating 70 or 80 off the same starting point seems odd, the old system was simple, open class was 10 penalty wins, if you won you got handicap, the cup is still a handicap if you look logically, the lower rated horses are handicapped by racing better horses, maybe the cup should be for rated 100 and over it would certainly add impetus to lead up races, horses needing to win to qualify.

Or maybe the ratings should be tighter, instead of a 85 rating variance.

Edited by mikeynz
  • Like 1
  • Champ Post 1

The NZ Cup is nothing at all like it used to be, despite being hyped up by Trackside.

It is very sad that harness now allows 6 win horses into the NZ due to not enough competitive horses around and some of us are aware why this has happened.

The current handicapping system has been tried but can we honestly say that it is working?

Yes it has been great for many horses but on the whole it doesnt work as there is too much gap between the classes on raceday!

Until it is sorted and stake money increases there will be a continuation of horses overseas in big numbers!

Friday night’s fields shows this and it will be interesting to see how many horses start showing up now that we are into Spring?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Brodie said:

There are not any new punters or owners coming thru in good enough numbers to make things viable!

Younger people probably bet on other things,(sport) but I honestly can't understand why racing has nothing like lotto as in a big pool,(million dollars) maybe at the weekend which captures the publics attention, I've often thought maybe pick 15 winners or something from say 20 races, similar to the football pools it has to be hard to win so it builds up if not struck, not only would it attract people to support the big prize but the xtra interest in each individual race would increase interest too but you have to have quality racing and quality fields, not always easy to present with the standard of racing in NZ at present, 

Back to harness maybe the rating 35 to 45s  race for less those over race for more, more incentive to try and clear maiden ranks faster.

• Like 1
  • Champ Post 1

On 8/27/2022 at 8:18 AM, the galah said:

Senz-I have never once listened to it.Such a shame they didn't keep the racing stations and just broadcast what was being said on the trackside channels.

I've said often my thoughts on senz racing coverage, none of it positive coz its shit, what gets me is the saturday show which is rubbish anyway sometimes knocks off early for something else yet often they can split stations for different programmes.

Right now as I write they have the rural roundup on some stations and Mark Stafford on others so it can be done, racing needs a good racing show on Saturdays that runs through to about the last race from Adelaide or Brisbane that actually informs punters outside that just simulcast Trackside 1 and 2 online.

Why people in the South Island get subjected to the Warriers or any NRL game over racing seems odd, it's not that hard, just my thoughts.

Senz buying a slot thinking they are promoting harness racing is shit, imagine advertisers paying good money only to see them spending it on a raffle ticket, I'd be seeking a better deal or give them the flick I dont think the TAB advertise there now but I only listen now and then so not sure.

Edited by mikeynz
  • Champ Post 1

Looking thru the odds for Friday night, second week in a row and nothing  I can see worth investing on!!

Bookies you need to “grow some” and bring out the “Poser Plays” far earlier and advise the punters to get on and allow punters on for a fair amount and not your pathetic amounts!

I am giving you the “heads up”, you continue to operate the way you are on harness racing punters, and you have killed it!!

Personally do not think you really care,  as long as you are getting paid for getting a good yield rather than increasing turnover that will increase your profit!

23 hours ago, Brodie said:

Looking thru the odds for Friday night, second week in a row and nothing  I can see worth investing on!!

Bookies you need to “grow some” and bring out the “Poser Plays” far earlier and advise the punters to get on and allow punters on for a fair amount and not your pathetic amounts!

I am giving you the “heads up”, you continue to operate the way you are on harness racing punters, and you have killed it!!

Personally do not think you really care,  as long as you are getting paid for getting a good yield rather than increasing turnover that will increase your profit!

Well done to the NZ TAB on bringing back the “HEAD TO HEAD” for harness after a long absence.

Be very interesting to see how long they last for?

TAB how about giving us the Option No. ??????

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Brodie said:

Well done to the NZ TAB on bringing back the “HEAD TO HEAD” for harness after a long absence.

Be very interesting to see how long they last for?

TAB how about giving us the Option No. ??????

How about no deductions on final fixed odds too. They be trying,  they be trying.

Too little too late tho

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Roman said:

How about no deductions on final fixed odds too. They be trying,  they be trying.

Too little too late tho

Yes no deductions is a bonus as well from the NZ TAB, so yes they are trying things to help get punters to invest!

While they restrict certain punters to pathetic amounts and have a $1k ANTI MONEY LAUNDERING LIMIT then the turnover sill be stifled.

The Bookies really need to grow some as they are not very brave.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Brodie said:

Yes no deductions is a bonus as well from the NZ TAB, so yes they are trying things to help get punters to invest!

While they restrict certain punters to pathetic amounts and have a $1k ANTI MONEY LAUNDERING LIMIT then the turnover sill be stifled.

The Bookies really need to grow some as they are not very brave.

I think the value has improved a ton in the last year or so. You just need to look harder Brodie. Yesterday I thought Coney Island Lou was over the odds on opening at Addington and also Deceptive Lee. See It Thru down at Invercargill also value on opening.

On 8/31/2022 at 12:18 PM, mikeynz said:

I've said often my thoughts on senz racing coverage, none of it positive coz its shit, what gets me is the saturday show which is rubbish anyway sometimes knocks off early for something else yet often they can split stations for different programmes.

Right now as I write they have the rural roundup on some stations and Mark Stafford on others so it can be done, racing needs a good racing show on Saturdays that runs through to about the last race from Adelaide or Brisbane that actually informs punters outside that just simulcast Trackside 1 and 2 online.

Why people in the South Island get subjected to the Warriers or any NRL game over racing seems odd, it's not that hard, just my thoughts.

Senz buying a slot thinking they are promoting harness racing is shit, imagine advertisers paying good money only to see them spending it on a raffle ticket, I'd be seeking a better deal or give them the flick I dont think the TAB advertise there now but I only listen now and then so not sure.

Once again the racing show knocks of at 4 58 and listeners get the Warriers yet the best racing is just getting going, yet after the match they have a hour or two of reruns, the racing coverage on this site is shit, I dont care if they run a punters club or even waffle on in between races but getting decent coverage that actually informs the people who keep this industry going  (punters) cant be that hard.

One wonders when the next time they broadcast a harness race, maybe the 2nd tuesday in November  it's been discussed enough in recent times, will things ever change ?

It dont bother me these days but still seems a bit mindless by the programmers.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Honestjohn said:

Maybe it's Too cold.  I know i stopped racing in the  winter due to the bloody cold.  Addington is bloody freezing in the winter. 

Hj

You are correct re the cold during Winter at Addington, far easier watching Trackside in the warmth of your lounge.

Trackside is one of the reasons track attendance is just so poor now.

Another is the treatment of certain punters by the betting agency doesnt make it worthwhile to attend as they are scrutinised too easily.

• Like 1
  • Champ Post 1

11 hours ago, Nowornever said:

I think the value has improved a ton in the last year or so. You just need to look harder Brodie. Yesterday I thought Coney Island Lou was over the odds on opening at Addington and also Deceptive Lee. See It Thru down at Invercargill also value on opening.

Pleased you are finding value!

Punters invest differently and what is being offered at most meetings is not suiting  me at the moment, so I am just not bothering.

Not a problem as it doesnt affect my lifestyle but enjoy the challenge.

Wouldnt worry the TAB either so everyone is happy.

Ashburton Sunday racing mainly over 1700m is another wasted space, and wont be investing watching live.

Good luck to those having a go!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...