Bit Of A Yarn

Racing NZ Bosses Consider Radical Changes

11 hours ago, mikeynz said:

Doomed is in the UK, was just wondering what a NZ block of cheese is worth, or put another way, what it is selling for.

I largely noted premium cheeses, brie etc, which really are about a third of the cost of NZ, bigger blocks were significantly cheaper than in NZ but I forget exactly what price. You don't see NZ cheese here so I have no idea where it goes. It does show what competition and a bigger market can do.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Freda said:

Hj,  do you think your friends would be likely to go again?

I got an answer to my rather tongue-in-cheek enquiry...from a very close friend whose sister went with a group, same scenario.

Told my friend that the food was awful and overpriced.  SHE won't be going again, and doubts that any of the others will either.

• Champ Post 1

21 hours ago, Freda said:

Hj,  do you think your friends would be likely to go again?

Totally  a no.  They,  well 4  of the guys from North island and they said it was a waste of time and money.  I was in a group in an Area set up for us,  about 4 years ago on cup day but some women with us got in an argument with the people next door to us over their language.  No security or no-one that wanted to know.  Booze that was prepaid for didn't turn up,  luckily I knew another group who helped us out.  I e mailed Tim and didn't even get an acknowledgement.  The guys around him and he should go.  Only 2 of that group 

with me still go,  I have a day at home now for about 20 of our friends.  I supply at my cost (I have contacts)  whitebait, crays,  catered goods  and a hot half ham at 6oclock. The riccarton track misses out on about  5k from our group. 

Hj

Sounds great.

One of my friends used to do similar for Cup Day, whitebait, salads, hot smoked salmon, ham on the bone, BBQ ..some went to the races and came back for the food, others just stayed on the lawn under the gazebo, had bets on their phones and watched the races on the TV wheeled out on the lawn.

Far superior.

• Champ Post 2

3 minutes ago, Freda said:

Sounds great.

One of my friends used to do similar for Cup Day, whitebait, salads, hot smoked salmon, ham on the bone, BBQ ..some went to the races and came back for the food, others just stayed on the lawn under the gazebo, had bets on their phones and watched the races on the TV wheeled out on the lawn.

Far superior.

It's a more relaxed day as well,  I just heat things up and my granddaughter (13) hands out for,  for a fee of course. Everyone hooks into my Wi-Fi and Roy Orbison turned on at about 7ish.

I'm normally crook the next day. 

Hj

• Champ Post 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Honestjohn said:

Totally  a no.  They,  well 4  of the guys from North island and they said it was a waste of time and money.  I was in a group in an Area set up for us,  about 4 years ago on cup day but some women with us got in an argument with the people next door to us over their language.  No security or no-one that wanted to know.  Booze that was prepaid for didn't turn up,  luckily I knew another group who helped us out.  I e mailed Tim and didn't even get an acknowledgement.  The guys around him and he should go.  Only 2 of that group 

with me still go,  I have a day at home now for about 20 of our friends.  I supply at my cost (I have contacts)  whitebait, crays,  catered goods  and a hot half ham at 6oclock. The riccarton track misses out on about  5k from our group. 

Hj

Somewhere in all that is a formula which a club could cooperate and licence outside functions. Perhaps some exclusive livestreaming to add to the day.

• Haha 1

42 minutes ago, Honestjohn said:

Hj

Sounds like a tea totaller function John. No sav?

I went to Cup Week for about 20 years non stop and it was all about the racing in those days, and the same people used to return every year. Now they just want the one offs for a piss up, but there is nothing sustainable about that. I have been to NZ Cup day and Wgtn cup day about 3 times each in the last 7 or 8 years and it is so boring. I just happen to have been in Auck about 3 times on their cup day over recent years and it has never even occurred to me to head along.  30 years ago I would have been so excited to go to Auck cup day.

• Like 2
  • Champ Post 1

49 minutes ago, Honestjohn said:

Hj

Jesus, I'm there, direct flight from the Goldie too, I'll bring a sack of prawns and mangos.....oh, MAF might be onto me, a strange smelling carry on bag.......but I'll be with you in spirit next year.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Joe Bloggs said:

Jesus, I'm there, direct flight from the Goldie too, I'll bring a sack of prawns and mangos.....oh, MAF might be onto me, a strange smelling carry on bag.......but I'll be with you in spirit next year.

I have friends who regular take frozen mussels and pauas to Ozzy. Love the goldie,  stay at "q"

Hj

Edited by Honestjohn

46 minutes ago, Freda said:

Sounds great.

Far superior.

Can I mow your lawn? NM charges to do that.......it's in his D&A.

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, Honestjohn said:

Hj

One of the things to make an event of it could be to have a reasonable large screen. As the role of the TAB Christmas at the Races is to supply marquees to clubs then perhaps they could hire reasonably large screens to private functions and I repeat some exclusive livestreaming. Can't see any problem in that.

• Champ Post 1