Bit Of A Yarn

Cranbourne

Gammalite

Things can only get worse there (as more will leave?)  as nice horse Cranbourne picks up $42,000 tonight first start in Oz.

I have Said for a long time he should of been here ages ago.

He only earned $42,000 there in 12 starts since last Feb when he won a couple. 10 months training expenses must of chewed a bit of that up?. Such a quality horse deserves a crack at the big-time. and the chance to actually win some money.

Defeated the Interdominion Champion 'I Cast No Shadow' in a provincial group 2 Shepperton Cup tonight. good on him. big money Hunter Cup looms large ??

BTW.... Robin Butts 2 horses racing well in the west. Minstrel 2nd in the 175k Freo Cup (Himself 4th for the Butts too) Himself winning 100k in golden Nugget there in Dec. Butts will be the wealthiest owners in Nz shortly lol. unless they already moved over to Perth which is nice place with great harness racing.

• Like 2
  • Champ Post 1

8 hours ago, Gammalite said:

Things can only get worse there (as more will leave?)  as nice horse Cranbourne picks up $42,000 tonight first start in Oz.

He only earned $42,000 there in 12 starts since last Feb when he won a couple. 10 months training expenses must of chewed a bit of that up?. Such a quality horse deserves a crack at the big-time. and the chance to actually win some money.

Defeated the Interdominion Champion 'I Cast No Shadow' in a provincial group 2 Shepperton Cup tonight. good on him. big money Hunter Cup looms large ??

BTW.... Robin Butts 2 horses racing well in the west. Minstrel 2nd in the 175k Freo Cup (Himself 4th for the Butts too) Himself winning 100k in golden Nugget there in Dec. Butts will be the wealthiest owners in Nz shortly lol. unless they already moved over to Perth which is nice place with great harness racing.

Only surprising thing was the price. Thought it was a $2 chance in that field. Happy with $3.80. It will do a good job in the states and 1-47 - 1:48 or faster looks on over there.

• Like 1
  • Champ Post 1

23 hours ago, Gammalite said:

Is that the Robin butt that raced at Harold park.i remember the green colours warming up a horse before the race and it really took my attention how fired up the horse was really wanting to race looked a million dollars started 20/1 and bolted in.i would listen to David akien he really thinks it will win a big one before it goes to north America at the end of March if it can draw well

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Nowornever said:

Only surprising thing was the price. Thought it was a $2 chance in that field. Happy with $3.80. It will do a good job in the states and 1-47 - 1:48 or faster looks on over there.

I agree combined with the lasix it just might run some time with its style.needs a driver like Dexter who can rate it properly.lasix might improve him a lot and he does not need much.lasix improved mossdale Connor huge.

9 hours ago, Forbury said:

Is that the Robin butt that raced at Harold park.i remember the green colours warming up a horse before the race and it really took my attention how fired up the horse was really wanting to race looked a million dollars started 20/1 and bolted in.

YES.The 1980 Miracle Mile.LOCARNO/Robin Butt - beating Pure Steel & Paleface Adios.Race video on Youtube.

49 minutes ago, Taupiri Wonder said:

YES.The 1980 Miracle Mile.LOCARNO/Robin Butt - beating Pure Steel & Paleface Adios.Race video on Youtube.

Great win , stomping home from last after drawing the outside 6 Alley. (in Young Quinn style) !!  

Also in that Miracle Mile was big winning 'Koala King',  who not long after that Miracle Mile Won the Interdominion Grand Final . Robin Butt was not far away with Locarno finishing 2nd,  and Pure Steel 3rd. 

10 hours ago, Forbury said:

David akien he really thinks it will win a big one before it goes to north America at the end of March if it can draw wel

Ballarat Cup Group 1 this week will test him (Cranbourne) . there is the Nz Cup champ Copy That (Blair Orange flying over to drive) and northerner Old Town Road to contend with .  Can you feel a great Nz Trifecta coming on ? 🏆🏆🏆.  

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Gammalite said:

Great win , stomping home from last after drawing the outside 6 Alley. (in Young Quinn style) !!  

Also in that Miracle Mile was big winning 'Koala King',  who not long after that Miracle Mile Won the Interdominion Grand Final . Robin Butt was not far away with Locarno finishing 2nd,  and Pure Steel 3rd. 

Ballarat Cup Group 1 this week will test him (Cranbourne) . there is the Nz Cup champ Copy That (Blair Orange flying over to drive) and northerner Old Town Road to contend with .  Can you feel a great Nz Trifecta coming on ? 🏆🏆🏆.  

When I was talking about butts 20/1 winner at Harold park must of been around 1996 from memory.i like old town road as a horse as it has such high speed.i hope it Devolps into a real nice horse.it would be a beauty coming of a suicide speed with a trail in North America.skys the limit.we race for baked beans compared to North america.thus why Australasias number 1 stable is considering moving there in Emma Stewart 

1 hour ago, Forbury said:

When I was talking about butts 20/1 winner at Harold park must of been around 1996 from memory.i like old town road as a horse as it has such high speed.i hope it Devolps into a real nice horse.it would be a beauty coming of a suicide speed with a trail in North America.skys the limit.we race for baked beans compared to North america.thus why Australasias number 1 stable is considering moving there in Emma Stewart 

The other number 1 stable (McCarthy) has had a foothold in America for quite some time with Andy and Todd often competing against Dexter and doing well too. Luke holding the fort down-under winning 3 Miracle Mile 's with King of Swing lately , which is our biggest race. 

Old Town Road will soon be trying for the Big results and should go well. His Nz FFA behind Self Assured was a good performance and he will measure up better than Cranbourne you would think.

Any news on how much was paid for Cranbourne by the American from anyone there ??

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Gammalite said:

The other number 1 stable (McCarthy) has had a foothold in America for quite some time with Andy and Todd often competing against Dexter and doing well too. Luke holding the fort down-under winning 3 Miracle Mile 's with King of Swing lately , which is our biggest race. 

Old Town Road will soon be trying for the Big results and should go well. His Nz FFA behind Self Assured was a good performance and he will measure up better than Cranbourne you would think.

Any news on how much was paid for Cranbourne by the American from anyone there ??

Less than 200k is my guess.no idea.the mares that get sold to go over there do best.there has been some that have improved heaps and won a lot.yes but the McCarthys don't train in USA just drivers.it is a wonder luke hasn't left too as he is the best and most talented amongst them.like Mathew is the best of the Williamson's followed closely by Nathan and a long way behind is brad.john Dunn's improvement as a driver over the last ten years has been huge.like Dexter he can really drive a Trotter fantastically.bob butts rise to the top has been good viewing both in training and driving.the most talented is Zac as a driver he is just wasting his talent staying in NZ.he does not drive anywhere near the drives he should be.he could be driving 95% more drives in North America.

17 hours ago, Forbury said:

Less than 200k is my guess.no idea.the mares that get sold to go over there do best.there has been some that have improved heaps and won a lot.yes but the McCarthys don't train in USA just drivers.it is a wonder luke hasn't left too as he is the best and most talented amongst them.like Mathew is the best of the Williamson's followed closely by Nathan and a long way behind is brad.john Dunn's improvement as a driver over the last ten years has been huge.like Dexter he can really drive a Trotter fantastically.bob butts rise to the top has been good viewing both in training and driving.the most talented is Zac as a driver he is just wasting his talent staying in NZ.he does not drive anywhere near the drives he should be.he could be driving 95% more drives in North America.

No idea what a horse like Cranboune would sell for to the States nowadays but bear in mind the exchange rate is not too bad for them!

Personally think that Nathan Williamson is a consistently a better driver than Matthew but    Just my opinion and UDR shows this!

No point debating but Nathan us a very very good horseman!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Brodie said:

No idea what a horse like Cranboune would sell for to the States nowadays but bear in mind the exchange rate is not too bad for them!

Personally think that Nathan Williamson is a consistently a better driver than Matthew but    Just my opinion and UDR shows this!

No point debating but Nathan us a very very good horseman!

Funnily enough Brodster , your man Nathan has put a small 'dampener' on sale prices over the past year. One of his horses not living up to the wraps sadly.

REGAZZO MACH with the 400k price-tag was supposed to be the next great thing but has flopped a little. Won 3 races in the west a year ago after he first arrived . But this Spring/ Summer since resuming has only scored once in a FFA in 9 starts, this time in . a few 2nds so hoping he can still come good . might win this week on Friday even. Has earnt back only 70k so far , so am sure Bond and his WA mates will be treading warily and just going back to buying the loose class runners from the deep South, instead of these 'Reputation' horses like this big Mach. 

• Like 2

Geez $400k plus costs takes a lot of winning, although there have been some success stories in Perth from NZ horses.

Some people have no issues paying big money for very promising horses although Regazza Mach won most of his races away from Addington so it was a bit of a risk for the purchaser.

Many horses that race at Addington would have no problem running around in the tighter class races in the major cities in Oz.

Think there are going to continue to be a big number of sales to Oz in the next year if things do not get more viable for owners!

• 1 month later...
On 1/18/2023 at 5:15 PM, Brodie said:

Many horses that race at Addington would have no problem running around in the tighter class races in the major cities in Oz.

Think there are going to continue to be a big number of sales to Oz in the next year if things do not get more viable for owners!

Don;t have to sell em Brodie. just race them yourselves in Oz for the better money. One Over All proves it.

Cranbourne (who was sold off to USA) went out hot fav last night at Melton after winning 2 of first 3 starts in Oz, but the driver drove him like a mad black and stopped bad in the straight after working him hard early. That open class race being won by old northerner Triple Eight in the end , driven expertly by Greg Sugars. 

Sugars also Won the open trot,  with The trotter One Over All , still raced by his Nz owners .! good on em !! your honest Nz trotter Majestic Man another good 2nd for his Nz owners in the race too. 

'One Over All 'winning near 100,000 past 14 months in Aus from 5 wins.

He had Won $40,000 previous 14 months in Nz with 5 wins trotting around the South island.   so double the money. send more over mate , and turn out the ribbon of lights ?  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, CrossCodes said:

Really? Pretty distasteful 

Ahhh ......the offending metaphor. remember >> words are just but crumbs from a feast on a forum .😉

so 'Hold your Horses', and 'Get off your high Horse', and use some 'Horse sense' and make sure that 'Wild Horses wouldn't Drag you away' from the fine racing action (and fine forum metaphors). One could just 'Eat like a Horse' or be the 'Dark Horse' that takes victory but be sure to 'Never look a Gift Horse in the Mouth' . 

the horse 'Cranbourne' drive last night still quite ordinary like Nz weather   😎

• Champ Post 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Blackie said:

Nah, I’m glad I’m called Blackie ‘cause that’s what everyone calls me. 😎

Best horse I ever saw was called Blackie too. Think i'll change my profile picture to him to salute the champ.🏆

so What have you kiwi's  done to the Qld lass Nat ? not driving now ? (that's her driving Black's A Fake in photo)

has someone upset my girl and there's a spat happening ??

That Cambridge race went all to shit for Allstars with their 3 runners and sub-par drivers, without her ? 🤣

and so Marks Big brother Barry Purdon took the prize (quinella)  instead with Merlin. At least Merlin is owned in Queensland I spose , so a good thing lol....

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Brodie said:

You should be made to change your name Blackie!

Not politically correct in this day and age and everyone with the surname White, is racist surely?

Something you can't help but notice is how harness racing is dominated by white skinned participants.  Just look around, especially in the south island.Can you think of anyone who isn't. Its something that has been noticeable for years.

The north island may have a couple of non whites,but you could still count them on one hand.

• Like 1

On 2/19/2023 at 11:30 PM, the galah said:

Something you can't help but notice is how harness racing is dominated by white skinned participants.  Just look around, especially in the south island.Can you think of anyone who isn't. Its something that has been noticeable for years.

The north island may have a couple of non whites,but you could still count them on one hand.

Luk Chin, legend.

Gavin Hampton long ago last century drove a few winners.

Cranbourne now having a crack to get in the $1,000,000 Miracle Mile !!  wonders never cease .

This race below on Saturday night is a 'Qualifier' for it .

Man of the moment kiwi lad Jack Trainor to drive too !!!!  Carter on Krug . Where's Mr Orange this week ? got the shits with Republican Party getting beat 10 lengths last week maybe lol.😉

ALLIED EXPRESS SPRINT (GROUP 2) 1609M
$100,000 No NR. RBD. PACERS. Mobile  TRIFECTA, QUINELLA, EXACTA, 1ST LEG DAILY DOUBLE, 1ST LEG QUADRELLA, FIRST4
  Form Horse Trainer Other Eng. Driver   Class  Hcp  
1 06372 TORRID SAINT  Julie Douglas   Joshua Gallagher (C)   NR120  FR1  
2 71817 CRANBOURNE NZ  David Aiken   Jack Trainor   NR116  FR2  
3 11243 WHEREYABINBOPPIN  James Rattray   James Rattray   NR120  FR3  
4 11109 MAJOR MEISTER NZ  Jason Grimson   Cameron Hart (C)   NR110  FR4  
5 07214 BETTER ECLIPSE  Jess Tubbs   Greg Sugars   NR120  FR5  
6 38125 EXPENSIVE EGO  Belinda McCarthy   Luke McCarthy   NR120  FR6  
7 10634 JAY OK (Em 2)  Paul Fitzpatrick Menangl 25/02/2023 Gavin Fitzpatrick   NR119  FR-  
8 23133 PETES SAID SO NZ  KerryAnn Morris   Robert Morris   NR120  FR7  
9 70186 ALTA WISEGUY NZ  S G Telfer, A L Telfer   Tim Williams   NR114  FR8  
10 11421 HONOLUA BAY  Emma Stewart   David Moran   NR120  FR9  
11 12s17 REPUBLICAN PARTY NZ (Em 1)  C T Dalgety, C M Dalgety Menangl 25/02/2023 Carter Dalgety (C)   NR117  FR-  
12 41135 KRUG NZ  C T Dalgety, C M Dalgety   Carter Dalgety (C)   NR120  FR10

2 hours ago, Gammalite said:

Cranbourne now having a crack to get in the $1,000,000 Miracle Mile !!  wonders never cease .

This race below on Saturday night is a 'Qualifier' for it .

Man of the moment kiwi lad Jack Trainor to drive too !!!!  Carter on Krug . Where's Mr Orange this week ? got the shits with Republican Party getting beat 10 lengths last week maybe lol.😉

ALLIED EXPRESS SPRINT (GROUP 2) 1609M
$100,000 No NR. RBD. PACERS. Mobile  TRIFECTA, QUINELLA, EXACTA, 1ST LEG DAILY DOUBLE, 1ST LEG QUADRELLA, FIRST4
  Form Horse Trainer Other Eng. Driver   Class  Hcp  
1 06372 TORRID SAINT  Julie Douglas   Joshua Gallagher (C)   NR120  FR1  
2 71817 CRANBOURNE NZ  David Aiken   Jack Trainor   NR116  FR2  
3 11243 WHEREYABINBOPPIN  James Rattray   James Rattray   NR120  FR3  
4 11109 MAJOR MEISTER NZ  Jason Grimson   Cameron Hart (C)   NR110  FR4  
5 07214 BETTER ECLIPSE  Jess Tubbs   Greg Sugars   NR120  FR5  
6 38125 EXPENSIVE EGO  Belinda McCarthy   Luke McCarthy   NR120  FR6  
7 10634 JAY OK (Em 2)  Paul Fitzpatrick Menangl 25/02/2023 Gavin Fitzpatrick   NR119  FR-  
8 23133 PETES SAID SO NZ  KerryAnn Morris   Robert Morris   NR120  FR7  
9 70186 ALTA WISEGUY NZ  S G Telfer, A L Telfer   Tim Williams   NR114  FR8  
10 11421 HONOLUA BAY  Emma Stewart   David Moran   NR120  FR9  
11 12s17 REPUBLICAN PARTY NZ (Em 1)  C T Dalgety, C M Dalgety Menangl 25/02/2023 Carter Dalgety (C)   NR117  FR-  
12 41135 KRUG NZ  C T Dalgety, C M Dalgety   Carter Dalgety (C)   NR120  FR10

So,I have heard of Dual Sulky Races/but never Dual Drive Races.

If Republican Party gains a start,who WILL Carter Drive I wonder!!!

• Haha 2