Bit Of A Yarn

TAB Money Laundering Rules. Brodie in the Money!

Chief Stipe

From De Lore:

The TAB is now closing down all TAB accounts of New Zealanders living overseas, despite some of these Kiwis having had betting accounts for many years. Why would they suddenly do that when no legislative changes have recently occurred?

An account holder who runs businesses in Thailand and has resided there for 30 years questioned the TAB about it upon receiving his closure email notice. He received the following reply:

“Unfortunately we were forced to close all accounts that were listed as having an overseas address in order to remain compliant with New Zealand’s Anti-Money Laundering laws. The TAB NZ app and site should not be able to be accessed outside of New Zealand.”

Why would it suddenly breach our laws when nothing has recently changed? Thailand has its own anti-money laundering laws, but the man in question with his TAB NZ account now closed, soon after legally opened an account with Bet365.

• Like 2

Does that mean if I go on holiday for 3 mths to Asia I will not be able to use my account?.

I'm sure the NZ TAB just make up their own rules and blame a third party as witnessed with the 1 thousand per day withdrawal limit from TAB's when the anti laundering bill allows for up to $10.000. They then blame the Gov to the customer for only being able to access a portion of their own money. They are a shifty lot.

Edited by aquaman
left out words.
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Chief Stipe said:

From De Lore:

The TAB is now closing down all TAB accounts of New Zealanders living overseas, despite some of these Kiwis having had betting accounts for many years. Why would they suddenly do that when no legislative changes have recently occurred?

An account holder who runs businesses in Thailand and has resided there for 30 years questioned the TAB about it upon receiving his closure email notice. He received the following reply:

“Unfortunately we were forced to close all accounts that were listed as having an overseas address in order to remain compliant with New Zealand’s Anti-Money Laundering laws. The TAB NZ app and site should not be able to be accessed outside of New Zealand.”

Why would it suddenly breach our laws when nothing has recently changed? Thailand has its own anti-money laundering laws, but the man in question with his TAB NZ account now closed, soon after legally opened an account with Bet365.

We have discussed the geo blocking idea and ive always said the TAB need to expand their customer base not shrink it, then this, pitiful.

What is wrong with this lot ?

• Like 2

All the NZ TAB is doing is driving away the punter!

Anti- Money Laundering my XXXX!

These people who are living overseas maintained accounts in NZ!
The NZ TAB will be able to easily determine whether these punters living overseas has been laundering money thru their accounts and if they have been then the right channel will be notified!
The amount of BS that we are required to accept nowadays is just colossal!

The money laundering I see is the NZ TAB staff accepting payment for performing poorly!

Things are going to get very dire for harness racing in the next few years!

Mark Purdon whose stables has plundered  most of the big stakes races over the past couple of decades, thinks that harness is stuffed, then it is STUFFED!

He is off to the Gallops Darksid!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Brodie said:

All the NZ TAB is doing is driving away the punter!

Anti- Money Laundering my XXXX!

These people who are living overseas maintained accounts in NZ!
The NZ TAB will be able to easily determine whether these punters living overseas has been laundering money thru their accounts and if they have been then the right channel will be notified!
The amount of BS that we are required to accept nowadays is just colossal!

The money laundering I see is the NZ TAB staff accepting payment for performing poorly!

Things are going to get very dire for harness racing in the next few years!

Mark Purdon whose stables has plundered  most of the big stakes races over the past couple of decades, thinks that harness is stuffed, then it is STUFFED!

He is off to the Gallops Darksid!

Gore only had 2 nominations for its rating 55 plus summer cup, thats bad.

Edited by mikeynz

On 15/02/2023 at 8:41 AM, Chief Stipe said:

From De Lore:

The TAB dropped the ball again and now punters are paying the price. I think they have blind Freddy doing most of the work relating to intercountry betting and AML laws.

• Champ Post 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/15/2023 at 6:41 AM, Chief Stipe said:

From De Lore:

When the laws changed in Australia banning the NZ tab I changed address to NZ freinds place.when the tab found out I was in Ozzie for HOLIDAY lol I had it suspended and all I had to do was ring up and said I'm back in NZ and it was unsuspended.so only way to get money out now is to have account suspended again or go to NZ and get it out.if he opened a bet365 account and wins it won't be long until he is only allowed to bet $3.65 a race no joke it happened to me

6 hours ago, Blackie said:

It’ll all be sorted when the TAB gets outsourced.

Will the 17million a year in fees to openbet be heavy baggage for the new outsourcing crowd or is it openbet that is the outsourcing crowd? You are in a world of pain with your restrictions Brodie if it is openbet. It will not be restriction but a straight ban.

Edited by Nowornever

2 hours ago, Nowornever said:

Will the 17million a year in fees to openbet be heavy baggage for the new outsourcing crowd or is it openbet that is the outsourcing crowd? You are in a world of pain with your restrictions Brodie if it is openbet. It will not be restriction but a straight ban.

Harness punting is only a small inconsequential part of my life nowadays!

I can take it or leave it and at the end of the day the betting restrictions or ban does far more harm to them than myself!

Far more profitable investing ways without the BS that the TAB adopts now!

It is a serious worry for racing in NZ that things are so bad that our own country needs other countries to run our sole betting agency!

Seriously we have a bunch of

muppets in charge of most things now and all to the detriment of NEW ZEALAND.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Blackie said:

This is a life saver Brodie.

Should have happened years ago. NZ racing will be treated just like another state of Aussie, with a multimillion windfall, so that the grassroots can race for more money. 

That seems like wishful thinking to me.

And this is a harness racing forum. Why would you think nz harness racing would be any better off?

If its going to be such a multimillion dollar windfall as you predict for nz harness,then how come we don't see that being reflected in stake levels in australian harness racing.You can't tell me nz harness racing is going to be treated any better than australian harness racing is by an australian betting provider. I can't follow the logic behind your optimism.

I do believe that the NZ tab is doing a poor job in encouraging wagering.

However to me Its like a business who employ phone operators who are doing a poor job and that is impacting the level of work and income that the shareholders are receiving. Client numbers just aren't there,and the drop off in work load is being exacerbated by the businesses poor phone operator service.

So what do the shareholders do. They could get take option  a and get their act together and drive change so their current phone operators who they directly employ provide a service which leads to greater levels of work,confidence and greater returns.

Or they could take option b,outsource the phones to a call centre. They give it to a call centre ,who have a high workload from similar type businesses.In effect they are relying on others to drive the change required to make their business grow,while at the same time losing input into how their product is sold and perceived.All the while the shareholders recognising their business is small compared with the volume the call centre handles for other more important clients. 

Well i know how this plays out. Customer service drops even further.Short term the shareholders see the positives,but long term they start to question the logic behind what they did,and regret sets in, but too late, there is no going back.

Change has to be for the better,not for changes sake and wishful thinking.

Thats what i believe will happen to harness racing with the proposed change.

Edited by the galah
  • Champ Post 1

Well I think a cash injection of 100-150 million at a guess would be good for all three codes, harness would get a share of that. We are small fish compared to the Aussies, and are starting from a low base, so any increase would be expotential in comparision.

The Galah, have we an alternative? This should of happened years ago , the successive TAB excutives have pissed any windfall that we could have had up against the wall. If we keep doing the same, we keep getting the same result. I say, give it to someone who knows what they are doing, we can't seem to find them here. Rumour has it that the government has come calling for it's $70m back that Winston rescued us with, apparently it may of had strings attached.

5 minutes ago, Blackie said:

Well I think a cash injection of 100-150 million at a guess would be good for all three codes, harness would get a share of that. We are small fish compared to the Aussies, and are starting from a low base, so any increase would be expotential in comparision.

The Galah, have we an alternative? This should of happened years ago , the successive TAB excutives have pissed any windfall that we could have had up against the wall. If we keep doing the same, we keep getting the same result. I say, give it to someone who knows what they are doing, we can't seem to find them here. Rumour has it that the government has come calling for it's $70m back that Winston rescued us with, apparently it may of had strings attached.

Like i have said,i think as far as nz harness goes,you aren't being realistic in the supposed $ benefits.

Yes the NZ TAB has been hopelesss in its decision making for years. 

Remember the costly website which we have and that they changed to  in recent years was a disaster.It saw a huge drop off turnover in the first few months as they lost customer after customer out of frustration with the tab. It was discussed on here ,and you just had to shake your head at how dumb the TAB decision makers were.

I've discussed on here how if you go into a tab and want to place a fixed odds,don't expect the tab staff to be able to help in showing you how its done.I did that last year and the 3 tabs i asked had no employees who knew how to fill in a betslip form to place a fixed odds bet.One telling me,i don't bet so why should i know,before walkng off. Then i rang the tab helpline and asked the. The fella was freindly and tried to help but told me he hadn't been trained in how to fill in a betslip for a fixed odds bet. By chance i discovered how to do it was on the back of the betslip.

Then you have the fools at the TAB who slash the FF odds because they have algorithms set up to immediately slash both win and place odds if targeted punters put as little as a $20 place bet with potential loss of $10 to the tab book. I was talking to another punter just a couple of days ago who was moaning about that,I know some punters have reduced their turnover on the tote by close to a couple of million in the last couple of years because of how the tab algorithms impact fixed odds then flow through to tote prices.

And if the tab odds setters were so bright,why haven't they worked out that  many punters back on horses that are the win movers.Its like the tab is thinkimg,hey,we stand to lose only $20,but because it is from a targeted punters account,then lets slash the odds. Then,oh no,more punters are betting on that win movers,because its a win mover,the exact thing the bookies don't want.Its so dumb,yet they can't even figure that out.Why don't they just base the win movers on how they balance the books?

Like i've also said.I personally recently bet on a horse with a $20 win bet 5 times in the space of 10 minutes. Each time the price dropped,each time i cashed out. In the end that horses price dropped 5 times on the ff win because of my 5 bets,yet i had not 1 cent on it because i had cashed out. I did it just to prove the point to someone i was talking to at the time.. I am not a big better,yet they even have algorithms on my account.

So yes the nz TAB is doing a poor job . But to me i keep thinking its because they are well intentioned but just dumb.. So maybe they have had there chances,but to me a properly,clever nz tab was and is the better option.

7 hours ago, Brodie said:

Harness punting is only a small inconsequential part of my life nowadays!

I can take it or leave it and at the end of the day the betting restrictions or ban does far more harm to them than myself!

Far more profitable investing ways without the BS that the TAB adopts now!

It is a serious worry for racing in NZ that things are so bad that our own country needs other countries to run our sole betting agency!

Seriously we have a bunch of

muppets in charge of most things now and all to the detriment of NEW ZEALAND.

Brodie did you see the mortality rate in nz went up 10% last year. It was 7.5 per 1000,up from 6.8  per 1000 in 2021 and averaged 6.7 per 1000 in the previous 10 years..They blamed it on covid ,yet if you look at the figures even if they included all the covid number(when of course they had officially included deaths of people with covid who had other serious health issues, as covid deaths),they only account for half of the increased death rate. Seems the pattern is the same in other highly vaccinated countries. Brodie on the money again i think.

Edited by the galah
  • Like 1

35 minutes ago, the galah said:

Brodie did you see the mortality rate in nz went up 10% last year. It was 7.5 per 1000,up from 6.8  per 1000 in 2021 and averaged 6.7 per 1000 in the previous 10 years..They blamed it on covid ,yet if you look at the figures even if they included all the covid number(when of course they had officially included deaths of people with covid who had other serious health issues, as covid deaths),they only account for half of the increased death rate. Seems the pattern is the same in other highly vaccinated countries. Brodie on the money again i think.

You are correct Galah, the results are the same around the world with the countries that conned people into getting jabs of toxins into their bodies that were proven to be detrimental to health.

We are not hearing this on mainstream media for obvious reasons!

The Covid19 was the biggest media beat up and over reaction in history and the reason why the world is in major trouble and things are going to get worse for many this year.

They now are promoting another so called vaccine for Omicron and something else that is supposedly better that they forced most into having ffs!!!
The repugnant thing is that it created a big divide between people and families and pjt a lot of pressure on finances and relationships,!

Most people do not want to believe that they were conned, however the intelligent ones do now realise that they have been, even Pfizer have admitted this!

Unfortunately we had the worst possible people  to be the Prime Minister and Minister of Finance in charge!

• Like 1
  • Champ Post 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 28/02/2023 at 11:28 PM, the galah said:

And in  australia that they had a 12% increase in its excess mortality rate last year over the previous year. Of the 20,000 excess deaths they put 13,000 down to having a covid connection,but that still left a 7,000 increase. They had a 17% increase in heart attack deaths to the normal average year.

On 1/03/2023 at 12:12 AM, Brodie said:

You are correct Galah, the results are the same around the world with the countries that conned people into getting jabs of toxins into their bodies that were proven to be detrimental to health.

We are not hearing this on mainstream media for obvious reasons!