Bit Of A Yarn

When does the Harness Racing Season start??

Brodie

32 minutes ago, Chief Stipe said:

I thought it was worth at least a boundary!  A strong cover drive with a crack of ball hitting willow and a lovely flourish at the end.

Here's me visualizing a little tickle down to fine leg, perhaps I am under estimating him 🤔 

• Haha 1

Just read on HRNZ site and can someone please explain what the hell they mean?

They say the harness year is January through to December!
However the 2023-2024 season started on the 1st August???????
Makes absolute no sense at all, does it??????

So what has changed, We were told the harness season was January to December last year!!!!!

So when do the horses have their birthdays this year????

• Like 1

On 8/1/2023 at 5:23 PM, Brodie said:

I note on HRNZ website today, they state that the 2023 - 2024 harness season starts today?

Wasnt the harness season changed to January thru to December or was that just for horse birthdays?

I have asked much the same question several times myself and no one either seems to know or care. They still seem to work on the season going 1 August to 31 July, but horses ages seems to go 1 January to 31 December. Seems weird to me.

I have asked before how people think the change of season dates has worked, but never had a single response. People don't seem to care, or possibly don't understand the question.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Brodie said:

Just read on HRNZ site and can someone please explain what the hell they mean?

They say the harness year is January through to December!
However the 2023-2024 season started on the 1st August???????
Makes absolute no sense at all, does it??????

So what has changed, We were told the harness season was January to December last year!!!!!

The confusion certainly seems to be in the wording of some of the previous press statements from HRNZ.

Its confusing anyone who reads them. 

The latest press release seems to say there is a harness racing year from 1 january to 31 december but at the same time there is a harness racing season from 1 august to 31 july.It says that in the latest press release on hrnz.

Back on  6 august 2021 they said there was a transitional season between 1 august 2021 and 31 december 2021...... so you would have thought that meant the new season started on 1 january.

Then in that same press release said the premierships would be january to december and horses birthdays on 1 january.  

It reminds me of one of those  early scream movies ...its the perfect crime cindy,BUT WAIT,THERES MORE....

Now they have always said they will do the renewing of licences at the tradional time,on 31 july so at least that part wasn't confusing. They never changed when the future racing dates would be released,but that never seemed to get much of a mention.

But wait theres more......the new funding of stakes came into effects from 1 august,but did all the increases start then....well no,the 2 year old bonus comes into effect from 1 january next year.

Now back in 2021 they said in a couple of press releases there seems to be some confusion over when the new season starts.......Ya reckon much has changed?

Those early scream movies were much funnier than the latest one that came out a couple of years ago.

Maybe more appropriate would be that music from the tv series soap that was so popular back in the late 1970's early 80's. The one that normally ended with...confused,tune in next week...

Edited by the galah
  • Like 1

57 minutes ago, Brodie said:

Thoroughbreds are having their birthdays yesterday mate. The 2 year olds from July are now 3.

Thankfully the Standardbreds are more sensible and you can still race your 2 year old at the Cup Carnival in Novenber . an excellent move by the harness racing people. 

They will be 3 on January 1st. 

2 minutes ago, Gammalite said:

Thoroughbreds are having their birthdays yesterday mate. The 2 year olds from July are now 3.

Thankfully the Standardbreds are more sensible and you can still race your 2 year old at the Cup Carnival in Novenber . an excellent move by the harness racing people. 

They will be 3 on January 1st. 

2yos always used to be able to race in Nov, if I can remember correctly.

And galloping 2yos can start racing from Sept, and are already having group races in Nov.

12 minutes ago, the galah said:

The confusion certainly seems to be in the wording of some of the previous press statements from HRNZ.

Its confusing anyone who reads them. 

The latest press release seems to say there is a harness racing year from 1 january to 31 december but at the same time there is a harness racing season from 1 august to 31 july.It says that in the latest press release on hrnz.

Back on  6 august 2021 they said there was a transitional season between 1 august 2021 and 31 december 2021...... so you would have thought that meant the new season started on 1 january.

Then in that same press release said the premierships would be january to december and horses birthdays on 1 january.  

It reminds me of one of those  early scream movies ...its the perfect crime cindy,BUT WAIT,THERES MORE....

Now they have always said they will do the renewing of licences at the tradional time,on 31 july so at least that part wasn't confusing. They never changed when the future racing dates would be released,but that never seemed to get much of a mention.

But wait theres more......the new funding of stakes came into effects from 1 august,but did all the increases start then....well no,the 2 year old bonus comes into effect from 1 january next year.

Now back in 2021 they said in a couple of press releases there seems to be some confusion over when the new season starts.......Ya reckon much has changed?

Those early scream movies were much funnier than the latest one that came out a couple of years ago.

Maybe more appropriate would be that music from the tv series soap that was so popular back in the late 1970's early 80's. The one that normally ended with...confused,tune in next week...

And we wonder why everything is such a mess in NEW ZEALAND!

Is there anyone from HRNZ or the industry that can explain what on earth is really happening?

The season has now gone  back to what it was then?

The only thing that has changed is the horses birthdays?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Doomed said:

And galloping 2yos can start racing from Sept, and are already having group races in Nov.

Yes they were the early 2 year olds, racing in November will be a year later Doomed!

What an absolute schmozzle, but we are awaiting a clarification from someone in the industry that can advise us all what is going on?

Edited by Brodie
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, Doomed said:

definitely true . But a Lot were Not ready by then to race competitively in November . most 2 year-olds raced towards the end of the season previously (May June July) when more developed . 

Now they will be actually near 3years old in real time (from foaling date ) and be racing in November before turning 3 for the season change on January 1st ... 

much better for the horse. 

18 minutes ago, Gammalite said:

definitely true . But a Lot were Not ready by then to race competitively in November . most 2 year-olds raced towards the end of the season previously (May June July) when more developed . 

Now they will be actually near 3years old in real time (from foaling date ) and be racing in November before turning 3 for the season change on January 1st ... 

much better for the horse. 

So better for a horse born in January to race in Nov than a horse born in August to race in May?

I am quite interested in this subject, but no one has ever responded before. Under the old timing a 2yo would have a few months to mature and gradually build up to racing through the spring and summer and peak for Autumn features and then have the winter off. Under the new dates they surely are too immature to race during the summer months, then have to have the winter off when there are no feature meetings so I presume the 2yo features are squeezed into Nov and Dec.

I am interested in this subject from an academic perspective. I wouldn't bet on harness 2yo racing anyhow as there are usually red hot favs. But I would love to know how the change of season dates has worked.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Doomed said:

Under the new dates they surely are too immature to race during the summer months,

you've gone the wrong direction mate.  you're a year behind.

BEFORE , horses were physically only 2 years old in November /December and only LITERALLY turning 2 year old from their FOALING DATE. when racing in those months.

VEry very very hard to get a yearling just turning 2,  competitive in November??

NOW , and much Betterly offily,....  The 2 year-olds racing in November /December are very close to, and most Turning 3 years old from their foaling date (in late 2020 for most)  . And Then will be 'Officially three' on January 1st. 

Most (nearly all)  would of passed their third year on the ground then ..  so way more accurate.

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, Gammalite said:

you've gone the wrong direction mate.  you're a year behind.

BEFORE , horses were physically only 2 years old in November /December and only LITERALLY turning 2 year old from their FOALING DATE. when racing in those months.

VEry very very hard to get a yearling just turning 2,  competitive in November??

NOW , and much Betterly offily,....  The 2 year-olds racing in November /December are very close to, and most Turning 3 years old from their foaling date (in late 2020 for most)  . And Then will be 'Officially three' on January 1st. 

Most (nearly all)  would of passed their third year on the ground then ..  so way more accurate.

So it's all about being able to have feature 2yo races in Nov Dec rather than April May? I never realised that was the major reason for the change.

1 hour ago, Doomed said:

So it's all about being able to have feature 2yo races in Nov Dec rather than April May? I never realised that was the major reason for the change.

Sort of. They can have the Sires Stakes and feature 2 year old races during the Cup week now.  which is excellent.

Also Take the Nz Derby for example . (for 3 year olds) A lot more horses get a chance at now.

AKUTA , the current champion won the Derby in the same week he turned 4 from his foaling date. (run in December last year.}  He could also start in the Nz Cup (finished 4th) . Would of been next to impossible for a 3 year old to start in the Cup before the season change . ( so another great innovation that has worked already !! 3 year olds in the Cup is fantastic  )  Much more mature horse than being 6 months behind , like this next bloke >>>>

The previous Nz Derby winner was KRUG who was only 3 and a half  and the Derby had to be run in cold darker April /May. 

So would be much better preparing for Spring Summer racing in nZ.  AND with a more mature horse .(2 and 3 year olds)  Bordering on it's 'real' Birthday too (foaling date) towards end of year.