• 0 replies
    • 0 replies
    • 0 replies
    • 0 replies
    • 0 replies
    • 0 replies
    • 0 replies

Announcements

• PS......enjoyed the full viewing screen of races on the TAB platform. Unsure why that wasn't in place from the off but better late than never. 
    • I must admit despite not wagering I enjoyed the racing last night.  John Dunn put on a driving clinic. He drives with a belief he's on the best and fittest horse and invariably he is. The Welcome Stakes told a powerful story. The more the race progressed the more it looked like the name Dunn would be saluting and the best the All Stars could hope for even with Blair driving was a placing. That is light years from what we've been witnessing for at least the last decade. Have to be impressed with how strong Got The Chocolates is late in races. Dominates them. John ensures he's not caught blocked in a hopeless position and is acutely aware of where his opposition is. He took a sustained look behind him for the All Star Rubira with a round to go in the Welcome Stakes. This reminded me in absolutely no way whatsoever what Brent Barclay did at Winton last weekend on the hot pot that was a certainty beaten.  What I especially enjoyed was the authenticity of the races I watched. Great drive by young Carter on Ebury Street and his followers would have been delighted with the price.  I liked seeing Takeitout not gifting the race to Tokyo Rose. If Sam gets her way in front it's often game over. Takeitout turned it into a race. John Dunn on the winner Ideal Double owes Tim a beer.  Bet N Win looking the real deal. Great to see. Would love a share in him. Auckland Trots provided a few talking points. The betting on Escape Artist and the lack thereof with stablemate Better Knuckle Up was telling. As was the manner in which both were driven. One driven to win.....no comment on the other. Not sure what to make of the run of Don't Stop Dreaming. Was asked to do the impossible despite the number of big races he's had over many months. The usual dynamic in such races is the All Stars controlling the race from the outset and the result appearing a formality almost from the off. That important aspect was not evident. Is Don't Stop Dreaming a tired horse that has lost his edge? Just asking. Don't want to go the early crow as horses can make a fool of you very quickly.  Empire City was well driven by Rick. The schoolgirl interview with Phil post race was cringe. Surely we can do better than that? What audience is Trackside aiming at there? School leavers? Muscle Mountain got it badly wrong in the Rowe Cup last year but still ran huge. Looks like the Hope's are keen to put that right next week. Muscle Mountain looked back to his best but the Aussie raider will be very very hard to beat. Oscar Bonavena looks tired to my eye. He raced on heart last night but didn't have that sharpness in the straight. Ben Hope seemed to shut the gate abruptly on Mark just as he was going for the run between Ben and the horse on the inner. Didn't see the head on but there is real potential there for something nobody wants to see.   I won't taint my current buzz on harness racing by watching the Invercargill workouts today.   
    • Stellenbosch heads a field of 18 for the Yushun Himba (Japanese Oaks, G1) May 19 at Tokyo Racecourse.View the full article
    • The NYRA announces the $250,000 Belmont Gold Cup (G2T), slated for June 6 at historic Saratoga Race Course, will be a "Golden Ticket" event offering the winner an automatic berth into the AU$8.4 million Melbourne Cup (G1).View the full article
    • Uncle Heavy will be one of the longer shots among handicappers in the $2 million Preakness Stakes (G1) at Pimlico Race Course May 18, but with an eye-catching name he is likely to draw attention from the casual racing fans.View the full article
  • Topics