Bit Of A Yarn

John McInerney

Mardy

14 minutes ago, Chief Stipe said:

Come on Chazza tell the world.

His son in the CD had a positive to Meth I believe. He trained the dogs in the Mcinerney satelite kennels in the CD but the dogs were under J Mcinerney Sr name.

Someone can correct me if im wrong but its been about 5 or 6 months since I personally heard about this.

Pretty sure results were due out late October/early November.

Edited by BitofaLegend
  • Like 1

21 hours ago, BitofaLegend said:

His son in the CD had a positive to Meth I believe. He trained the dogs in the Mcinerney satelite kennels in the CD but the dogs were under J Mcinerney Sr name.

Someone can correct me if im wrong but its been about 5 or 6 months since I personally heard about this.

Pretty sure results were due out late October/early November.

Is it only that charge or is there a welfare charge all so?  Guess we know when charges published. 

Is it just me,but every time i tune into a greyhound meeting in christchurch i seem to watch a greyhound race where there is a form reversal from a dog trained by mcinerney.

Maybe theres a reasonable expanation each time,but the one constant is it sure bamboozle's the commentator as to how it happens,going by his comments.

How do they get them to have a run of lasts ,then come out and jump straight to the front and win.I'm not being facetious,i genuinely want to know how they do it and how a punter can pick when its going to happen. I don't bet on them,but do watch  them sometimes. Do they give them some type of practice routine from the traps or take them to the beach  for a day out?

37 minutes ago, the galah said:

Is it just me,but every time i tune into a greyhound meeting in christchurch i seem to watch a greyhound race where there is a form reversal from a dog trained by mcinerney.

Maybe theres a reasonable expanation each time,but the one constant is it sure bamboozle's the commentator as to how it happens,going by his comments.

How do they get them to have a run of lasts ,then come out and jump straight to the front and win.I'm not being facetious,i genuinely want to know how they do it and how a punter can pick when its going to happen. I don't bet on them,but do watch  them sometimes. Do they give them some type of practice routine from the traps or take them to the beach  for a day out?

Usually either the dogs downgraded, has received some luck or more likely not conditioned great and improving with every run. I know from my own experience conditioning 40 greyhounds at once can be tough.

In my opinion, 40 is the absolute maximum a trainer can and should handle from experience. Conditioning in upwards of 150 when they race 3x a week would be damn near impossible 

Edited by BitofaLegend
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, the galah said:

Its pretty simple really, two words spring to mind. Live #####.

• Sad 1

Top greyhound trainer faces disqualification from industry after dog tests positive for meth

One of the country's highest-earning greyhound trainers is set to be kicked out of the industry after one of his racing dogs tested positive for methamphetamine and another was mistreated.

John McInerney, who trains hundreds of dogs in Darfield near Christchurch, will be disqualified for a period of up to 18 months.

But animal welfare groups say the penalty is "weak" as he'll continue to make money despite the disqualification.

John McInerney is a greyhound track kingpin. He made more than $1.5 million on the track in the past season.

But today, at a Racing Integrity Board penalty hearing, he was facing disqualification of between 12 to 18 months.

"The thought of a dog testing positive for methamphetamine is abhorrent. The fact he's been disqualified likely for a year, maybe 18 months at most, doesn't go far enough," said SAFE head of investigations Will Appelbe.

McInerney's dog Alpha Riley had something else in its veins in April this year - methamphetamine was detected after routine drug testing.

And in October last year, another of his dogs, Impressive Isla, was according to investigators in "clear and visible pain and distress" but advice from a vet was not sought immediately.

Impressive Isla had an osteosarcoma - a type of bone cancer.

McInerney, who's been racing for more than 30 years, told the hearing he didn't know it was so serious and did give the dog pain relief.

Tyra Basilicata from the Greyhound Protection League does not buy that.

"I don't accept that anybody, especially someone who had been dealing with greyhounds for as long as Mr McInerney, I do not accept that he would not have known that something more sinister was at play," she told Newshub.

Greyhound Racing NZ CEO Edward Rennell told Newshub: "There is no place in our industry for those who breach animal welfare standards, or for those who use drugs like methamphetamine in the vicinity of racing dogs."

Rennell told Newshub racing greyhounds are regularly drug tested and there has never been a case of deliberate administration of methamphetamine to a racing dog, only meth contamination.

It's not clear yet how the dog was contaminated but the hearing heard McInerney's son, who looked after the dogs, had a history of drug issues.

With McInerney disqualified, work is already underway to transfer ownership of the dogs to his other son.

"The penalties that he's facing are completely weak because he can just transfer those dogs into his son's name, it's going to be the same kennels, probably a lot of the same staff, and he will continue to make money off these dogs," Appelbe said.

Basilicata said this makes the penalty inconsequential.

"It's a loophole and it needs to be closed."

McInerney was charged with negligence in 2018 after five dogs died of suffocation while in a van on the Cook Strait ferry.

And last year, Newshub revealed photos of several of his dogs with injuries after being dropped off at a rehoming kennel.

He will learn on Friday exactly how long he'll be disqualified from the sport.

56 minutes ago, Mardy said:

12-18 month disqualification? seriously,seems very light.The guy has priors why not make it life?. I'm sure no one would be moaning if that was the case.

Are you saying the meth was deliberately administered to the dog?  

Shouldn't justice be delivered based on the facts not the potential moaning by the uninformed?

Also how does the media get informed BEFORE the decision is published?

What was the level of meth detected?  Environmental contamination?

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Chief Stipe said:

Shouldn't justice be delivered based on the facts not the potential moaning by the uninformed?

Who's uninformed?

Maybe it's you Chief.

This case very closely mirrors the Schofield case.

• 2nd positive to meth.
  • Both training from a remote location.
  • Both committed under the supervision of the son of the trainer.

Schofield got 2 years (which I believe may have been increased after the appeal).

https://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/racing/103573592/greyhound-trainer-banned-for-two-years-after-dog-tests-positive-to-p

The starting point for the meth should be the end result of the Schofield case as the precedent & then the welfare penalty tacked on top of it, not served concurrently as they two infractions are totally unrelated.

Edited by Yankiwi

10 hours ago, Chief Stipe said:

Are you saying the meth was deliberately administered to the dog?  

Also how does the media get informed BEFORE the decision is published?

What was the level of meth detected?  Environmental contamination?

Agree with you on the meth.  But the welfare one is a big concern as  it is not the first accusation and plently of previous welfare misconduct for McInerney.  

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Yankiwi said:

Who's uninformed?

Maybe it's you Chief.

This case very closely mirrors the Schofield case.

• 2nd positive to meth.
  • Both training from a remote location.
  • Both committed under the supervision of the son of the trainer.

Schofield got 2 years (which I believe may have been increased after the appeal).

https://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/racing/103573592/greyhound-trainer-banned-for-two-years-after-dog-tests-positive-to-p

The starting point for the meth should be the end result of the Schofield case as the precedent & then the welfare penalty tacked on top of it, not served concurrently as they two infractions are totally unrelated.

So now you are an expert on Judicial Decisions?

I've come to the conclusion that for some bitter and twisted reason related to a past perceived injustice you sole motivation is to destroy Greyhound racing.

• Bad Post 1

8 minutes ago, Chief Stipe said:

I didn't realise the RIB had released their decision to you.

They haven't.

However, this is what you posted about it.

19 hours ago, Chief Stipe said:

John McInerney, who trains hundreds of dogs in Darfield near Christchurch, will be disqualified for a period of up to 18 months.

IMO, 18 months is about 1/2 of what I recall Schofield was handed down in the end for a 2nd meth positive.

Then they should tack on the welfare penalty, which should not be concurrent if there is a stand-down from it as it's totally unrelated to the meth charge.

If you want to cheer for 18 months, you're entitled to.

I want consistency.

23 hours ago, aquaman said:

Its pretty simple really, two words spring to mind. Live #####.

I take the above comment back, I have zero evidence of live ##. What I will say is, huge form reversal's usually are the result of taping into the mental aspect of the dogs brain, a refocusing as it were. The quickest way to do that is live baiting. Unethical and cruel, but a fact.

• Like 3