Bit Of A Yarn

Peter Lamb

Guest CrossCodes

7 hours ago, Portfolio said:

Dominion start not much better

Hopeless start. Just like the Cup the No. 1 horse was three or four metres from the strand when he said "right" Back in Mulcay's day the No. 1 horse was the first to line up on the strand then the others line up. Now it is a lottery. Sack him.

• Like 1

I thought the Dominion start was ok when he said 'right' . Horses were stationary. See below.

The Cup on the other hand was a disgrace. Not one horse was stationary at the time of the release. It was moving walk up which is not a standing start and not standard practice. He should be asked why that is the case?

image.png.c9f7c5663092bb8d389d1fefedd7a88a.png

• Like 1

23 hours ago, OLDWHITEMAN said:

Hopeless start. Just like the Cup the No. 1 horse was three or four metres from the strand when he said "right" Back in Mulcay's day the No. 1 horse was the first to line up on the strand then the others line up. Now it is a lottery. Sack him.

Yes that no 1 was our horse. Broke and never recovered.  

8 minutes ago, Happy Sunrise said:

Starter's fault?

I think the horse became a bit fractious after waiting so long in the score up which one maybe  can put down to Mr Lamb taking to long to get them to sort themselves out.  Time they got rid of stand starts. He might be off to the Inters where they are all mobiles and no Mr Lambs.

52 minutes ago, globederby12 said:

I think the horse became a bit fractious after waiting so long in the score up which one maybe  can put down to Mr Lamb taking to long to get them to sort themselves out.  Time they got rid of stand starts. He might be off to the Inters where they are all mobiles and no Mr Lambs.

I have watched the start a few times.

I don't think it was a bad start. I don't think your horse had to stand for very long. The major problem of drawing the inside is they have to stand for awhile longer than the others obviously. If indeed they are asked to stand! I think your horse was caught flat footed when the tapes went and even worse is when they get slight momentum backwards. That is the biggest problem for horses drawn on the inside.

I always hope for horses who I have backed drawn on the inside that they get to go when the momentum is on their side.

Sadly, there is no consistency but I don't think it can be entirely attributed to the starter as 14 or more horses are never going to be settled and ready to go at the same time.

Maybe it is time to get rid of the stand but I think that would take away some of the variety of racing. Especially at the grass tracks when people can get real close to the action. 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Just to provide another perspective on this, it would seem that Mr Lamb's initial appointment had the strong support of drivers:

https://www.pressreader.com/new-zealand/the-press/20071130/282454229647082

It might be interesting to know how they feel now.

It would also seem that some of the perceived problems with standing starts can be attributed to HRNZ regularly changing the rules around starting procedures, often against the recommendations of starters.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/the-press/sport/racing/286554/HRNZ-outlaws-walk-up-starts

Peter Lamb a typical ex cop doesn't think he has to defend himself to anyone.  In saying that at least sometimes he does try and get them to stand before releasing the tapes, some starts down south are pretty much running starts.  As a punter all you ask for is consistency a pity P Lamb can't cop it sweet so to speak.  In can remember the late great Jack Mulcahy calling horses in behind the tapes "Rightio you bastards up ya come"  That's gold!!!

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

Yip was about to say something myself.There was no way that Rachmaninov got a fair start.The assistant put his hand on the bridle and then he let the field go.I was waiting for the whistle to blow to indicate a false start,but nope.Yes he was acting like a clown,but as soon as the assistant touched him he wasn't going to get a fair start.Feel sorry for those that backed him.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Mardy said:

Yip was about to say something myself.There was no way that Rachmaninov got a fair start.The assistant put his hand on the bridle and then he let the field go.I was waiting for the whistle to blow to indicate a false start,but nope.Yes he was acting like a clown,but as soon as the assistant touched him he wasn't going to get a fair start.Feel sorry for those that backed him.

That race looked horrible didn't have a bet, but as you say the poor old punter has to cop it.  Peter Jansen's first move should be to remove P Lamb

• Like 1
  • Champ Post 1