Bit Of A Yarn

Unbelievable - Seriously- Whip Rule Not Even Funny Now!!!!!

Brodie

The whip rule currently is not even a joke, because it is so ridiculous!!!

If everyone doesn’t agree with me then seriously you need to go to spec savers or somewhere that tests your eyes.

The current rule says 10 hits with the whip any more and you get done!!!

I have always said this is farcical and after race 12 today at Addington everyone including the Brodie knockers will be in my camp!

Jamie Keast driving the winner Copperhead Rose got an absolute hammering with the whip that would’ve left large marks on the horse without doubt.

The horse was absolutely whacked as hard as you could from a fair distance from home and of course Jamie Keast got a holiday or fined!!!

NO NO NO NO NO NO he didn’t, he got a warning!

Harness Racing NZ, pathetic rule, yes pathetic that should never have been brought in at all!!!!

Harness Racing NZ admit that you have stuffed up big time and remedy your STUFF UP ASAP!!!!!!!

Edited by Brodie

2 hours ago, Brodie said:

If everyone doesn’t agree with me then seriously you need to go to spec savers or somewhere that tests your eyes.

I have always said this is farcical and after race 12 today at Addington everyone including the Brodie knockers will be in my camp!

Jamie Keast driving the winner Copperhead Rose got an absolute hammering with the whip that would’ve left large marks on the horse without doubt.

The horse was absolutely whacked as hard as you could from a fair distance from home and of course Jamie Keast got a holiday or fined!!!

Harness Racing NZ, pathetic rule, yes pathetic that should never have been brought in at all!!!!

Harness Racing NZ admit that you have stuffed up big time and remedy your STUFF UP ASAP!!!!!!!

Your right Brodie, either get rid of the rule or enforce it, they are piss weak and drivers know they can get away with flouting the whip rules. 

3 hours ago, Brodie said:

Yep thanks for that Jamie. 5K collect solely due to the impressive work lifting the horse over the line with a bit of encouragement. Would have got nothing if any other limp wristed driver was on. I owe you a beer

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

37 minutes ago, boobybec said:

Yeah i had a good collect too, was a big run couldn't believe it held on and won.  The whip rule is a tough one, as a punter you want to see the driver look to try and get the best out of the horse.  A very good horseman J.T Keast

Quite true, horse only won with hard drive. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, boobybec said:

Yeah i had a good collect too, was a big run couldn't believe it held on and won.  The whip rule is a tough one, as a punter you want to see the driver look to try and get the best out of the horse.  A very good horseman J.T Keast

The horse only won due to Jamie being so aggressive with the whip.

Jamie Keast has never been one to be shy of using the whip.

My point is that Jamie gave the horse more of a hiding than most of the drivers who have been done for excessive use of the whip or using the whip in excess of the permitted number, and only got a WARNING!

The rule is an absolute ASS and needs altering back to what it was.

HRNZ acknowledge you brought the stupid rule in Without much thought being given!

What has happened to Oz Whip Rule?

nothing they still give the horses heaps!!!

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Brodie said:

My point is that Jamie gave the horse more of a hiding than most of the drivers who have been done for excessive use of the whip or using the whip in excess of the permitted number, and only got a WARNING

what are his previous transgressions regard this rule

please post links to the reports champ

25 minutes ago, Rangatira said:

what are his previous transgressions regard this rule

please post links to the reports champ

Totally irrelevant as to previous transgressions!

The point is that the rule is blatantly stupid!

Drivers have been charged for doing a helluva lot less harm to their horse than what Jamie Keast would’ve done yesterday to Copperhead Rose!

There should never have been a number attached to the whip use and yesterday is a classic example of why the rule is an ASS!!!!

Rangatira, in your mind, did Copperhaead Rose get an absolute hiding from the driver and if it did, did the driver deserve to be charged?

Flrget about the no. Of strikes, was the whip hits excessive in your mind????

1 hour ago, Brodie said:

Rangatira, in your mind, did Copperhaead Rose get an absolute hiding from the driver and if it did, did the driver deserve to be charged?

Flrget about the no. Of strikes, was the whip hits excessive in your mind????

my mind is somewhat cloudy today in fact it has been since tuesday evening

but unlike you I won't dodge a question

as they passed the 400 metres i thought copperhead rose will be in this for a long way whether that is her choosing or not

so putting aside the number of times

she was hit with roughly the same amount of force as i was anticipating

i am supportive of the stipes speaking to him

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Brodie said:

I counted one 'bashing' just outside the 400m and 9 withing the 400m so that is ok isn't it.

Haven't seen a 'flourish' like that for a long time.

Under the rules I suppose there is nothing that can be done. One more strike and he would have got done pretty well.

As Brodie says, the rule is a bit of a joke because the whipping Copperhead Rose got was well outside the bounds of positive animal welfare.

• Champ Post 1

1 hour ago, Rangatira said:

my mind is somewhat cloudy today in fact it has been since tuesday evening

but unlike you I won't dodge a question

as they passed the 400 metres i thought copperhead rose will be in this for a long way whether that is her choosing or not

so putting aside the number of times

she was hit with roughly the same amount of force as i was anticipating

i am supportive of the stipes speaking to him

Absolute fence sitter!!!

• Haha 1

Personally I think the force mr keast uses when hitting a horse with the whip is over estimated.  I think to be fair,you cant say he is leaving marks on his horse unless you have seen it for yourself.  Its just another case of possibly the perception not actually being the reality.  From my past observations of horses  backsides he has driven,he does not hurt them at all. In other areas of animal welfare I believe him to be a very kind person.   So I don't agree with you on this one brodie..

We had a horse with Jamie a few years ago, horse wasn't much chop but he is kind to horses when training them.   From a driving on race day point of view i don't think he is any harder on horses than Mark and Nat.  My point being Mark and Nat's horses virtually always push through a horrendous pain barrier to be driven as hard as they are and continually win, how they do this so regularly has got me and most others beat.  Natalie doesn't mind getting serious with the stick either!!  As a punter I would rather see a driver show vigor than not, I recall Timmy Williams just sitting quietly one day and one Matty Williamson bloused him out wide.

• Like 1

On ‎16‎/‎11‎/‎2018 at 8:47 PM, Brodie said:

15 minutes ago, Happy Sunrise said:

I think he was whacking the shit out of the horse.

I think the stipes spoke to him about the manner in which he used the whip.  I think the action they took was a result of concerns the manner of his whip use created the impression he may be hurting the horse,as  is evidenced by some of the replies on this thread.

If you were to observe the backsides of horses,without knowing who had driven them, ,then I believe you would find the marks left on them are not always consistent with peoples perception of how hard they are being hit.  That's from my observations.  One of the reasons I think  like that is because  I noticed mr keast  does not leave the marks on horses like people actually think he would.  In fact I believe mr keast used to  suggest to authorites that they inspect his horses to prove his point. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, the galah said:

I think the stipes spoke to him about the manner in which he used the whip.

You could well be very right but perception is everything unfortunately.

As they say the smoke is enough to kill you...you don't need a fire.

Kind of sums up the whole whip rule in a way. Are we dealing with smoke or fire.

Reality is that the current whip rule is blatantly stupid.

Reality is that Jamie did give Copperhead Rose an absolute hammering with the whip and was swinging and hitting as hard as I have seen in quite awhile, and only got a warning!

Reality is that many drivers have been charged and found guilty for not being as hard on their horse as Jamie was!

Reality is that  Copperheads Rose only won because of Jamie’s vigorous use of the whip!

Reality is that the whip does make horses run faster and for longer without doubt!

Without the whip horses like Gammalite and Pure Steel would not have been champions!!!!

From a punting perspective I want my driver to be using the whip to a certain degree to get the best out of the horse that I have invested on!

Reality is that the current rule needs amending to make it fair for everyone, and the no.

of hits is not the correct answer!

• Like 2