Bit Of A Yarn

Turn It Up or Turn it Off

Happy Sunrise

Harsh title and don't really mean it.

9 starts and you are a winning an Auckland Cup as a 4 year old. Seems the horse has the world at its feet. The factory just keeps churning them out doesn't it. The horse hasn't followed a normal path at all so to do this is a wonderful training feat. Does anybody remember a horse who has gone close to doing what Turn It Up did last night with so few starts under his belt?

The race itself throws up a few a things. Again not the most interesting race to watch and a a time of 4.03 but last half of 54.3 and quarter in 26.1. If you aren't choosing the right time to move in a race then you have no chance these days if you are off the pace.

Are the NZ Cup and Auckland Cups now the pathway for 4 year olds?

Where does that leave the good, but not good enough 5 or 6 year olds, who are in behind the blue army on ability. I see they filled 4 of the first 6 placings last night AND 4 of the first 5 in the NZ Cup (AND 3 of the first 5 in the 3 year old race and goodness knows what other domination of races in recent times) It is interesting that the Auckland Cup couldn't even generate any interest on BOAY as a contest. It really is just a foregone conclusion that an All Star will win isn't it.

• Like 2

Yes, I think it only fair that Mark and Nat move to North America as they have achieved everything in NZ!

Nat wouldn’t be able to go just at the moment though!

It is a given that if this juggernaught does stay in NZ then Harness Racing is going to continue to decrease in numbers!

Purdon will need to move at some stage as there won’t be harness racing in 10 years time to any degree!

No tall poppy syndrome but personally beleive that this total domination from this one stable is one Of the biggest problems we have in harness racing going forward!

Owners and trainers have had a gutsful Of not being able to have a chance of picking up major stakes!

Why on earth would Owners in the future bother paying out thousands to send their horses to Auckland just to try and complete with the AllStars in big races?

The sale of horses overseas is going to continue unabated and breeding no.s will drop still!

Love the harness racing game but am turned off by this domination on behalf of all the  enthusiasts that throw a lot of their hard earned money into the sport and get buggerall return!

Just on passing, Has the Darkside gone into recess for the holidays as there is absolutely no one posting anything over there. RIP!

Edited by Brodie
  • Like 2
  • Champ Post 2

3 minutes ago, boobybec said:

It's amazing alright sunrise.  Mark and Nat the white flag is out, please move to Australia or better yet North America.  This way NZ harness racing has the chance to be great again ...... 

Even if they moved to Australia they would still come and raid our Group races, just like they raid Australia. I am surprised the Emma Stewart barn does not send horses to NZ for the big money races. In my opinion they are the only stable capable of giving the All Stars a run for their money in Australasia.

• Like 2

And that is a bad thing?

There would be a lot more owners around if AllStars weren’t here!

Seriously you can have your head in the sand and think that domination in anything is good but it isn’t!

If there was only one supermarket in a town then there is no competition and they can charge anything they like.

Reality is that one trainer filling the placing in most of the big races is a big negative for the harness industry going foreword!

Wont affect me whatsoever but what you will find over the next couple,of years is owners and Trainers just giving it away, as not profitable.

You only need to look oncourse at meetings to see the age of the patrons and nothing coming thru youth wise.

Young generation will not have the disposable cash to pay training bills of 2 to 3k per month!!!

Edited by Brodie
  • Like 2

31 minutes ago, Rangatira said:

that is pretty hard case even by your standards

i am thinking the all stars are already charging what they like 

Point being a monopoly is not great for any industry, not about what someone is charging!!!!!!!

• Champ Post 1
  • Haha 1

Ok ok. Let's get down to the nitty gritty here.

No one on here has yet demonstrated the technical or other reason the AS keep producing top horses. Mostly because most if not all of you aren't privvie to their pre training / training/ nutrition regime , and of course coupled with that their buying power.  My take on it as I am in the same boat as most of you , is unlimited access to top stock and probably the ability to discard those that don't measure up. 

I fail to see that they are so far superior to some other trainers that they can make a mule run 1.52 mile rates.

I personally think it is a combination of all the above, and rather than criticise , I kinda applaud them for creating the Empire they have, however you may view it. 

Being an owner I have seen our horses finish second to the AS barn on many an occasion. Are we getting out, No. Does that make Phill Williamson an inferior trainer. No. 

And Brods, there are a shit load of owners out there( 40 in ours), it wouldnt make one jot of differrence if they were here or not. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Happy Sunrise said:

Good point and valid counter argument but why wouldn't they?

Just have a look who their main owners are. Most been with AS stables a long time, some give 2nd grade horses to other trainers, or those that do not fit AS top horses. 

Why do owners stick to stable, results speak for themselves. Most want to give horse best chance, even if it costs more to train. 

Regardless of what some say, they are good for harness nz

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Newmarket said:

Just have a look who their main owners are. Most been with AS stables a long time, some give 2nd grade horses to other trainers, or those that do not fit AS top horses. 

Why do owners stick to stable, results speak for themselves. Most want to give horse best chance, even if it costs more to train. 

Regardless of what some say, they are good for harness nz

They are good for harness nz ...... hmm is it because they continually win all age group and open class racing and have done for for many years now.  At the same time making most other trainers look very mediocre.  The dominance has been great for breeding too, plenty of opportunities with people in droves wanting to breed their next champion.  Continually seeing Jean Feiss and Phil and Glennis Kennard win everything yes that is great for racing, hence why other people are queing up to go to the yearling sales to buy horses to beat them.  

Edited by boobybec
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

17 hours ago, Kakama said:

From a punting view....I like to punt on the purdon stable. 

Correct Kakama. Even while trying to find value outside the AS horses in a race it is more prudent to lump on more on a $1.50 fav and know it will win.

Most don't like to spend that much money, so the biggest whingers are those that bet smaller and lose trying to find value. And I include myself in those doing that ,at times. One learns from experience. 

• Like 1