Bit Of A Yarn

Above The Rest - Racing pacers? Are you Kidding??

Brodie

I note that Above The Rest the 13 year old mare is lining up in the 3rd race for harness at Tauherinikau  tomorrow!

It is only a small field but you would,wonder what the owner trainer and driver are thinking really wouldn’t you?

Unless all the field falls over there would be no chance of the horse being that competitive when it is a trotter racing against PACERS!!!!

When the horse was nominated were they aware that the race was for PACERS?

It is not as if the horse hasn’t had racing as it dropped out at its previous start against slow trotters, so what is the real benefit of it starting apart from making up numbers, and you would need a rat in your head to be backing it!!

Compare Mile rates of the pacers to the mile rates that Above The Rest  has been going and you would say “you are dreaming Jonesy”

Extremely rare nowadays for a trotter to race in a pacing race but there can be no way in hell that this horse will finish close up against pacers although the grass will help I suppose, but it won’t be getting any stake money.

• Like 1

Good on them for having ago, and you never know anything  can happen, just like one poster said about hes fast and furious, calling him slow, and he went very well 3rd and a 2nd, we haven't  heard back from that poster, good on these trainers, for followings their passion, better to live in hope, than to die in despair. 

• Champ Post 1

Fair enough but I think you are living in desperation if you are a trainer thinking a 13 year old trotting mare will be competitive against pacers though!

With it starting it does make for a 3rd tote div. I suppose but it won’t make any real difference as no one should be backing it!

Not too sure why you would bother taking the poor,old thing off your property to run for the sheer hell of it?

How can running these 4 races be of any worth to the harness industry ?

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Brodie said:

How can running these 4 races be of any worth to the harness industry ?

It puts harness racing on display on a family raceday

also gives central districts trainers a fair (non all star) suck at the savaloy

maybe they will have kids carts

maybe auckland cup winning trainer douglas gale will train the card

Edited by Rangatira

15 minutes ago, Rangatira said:

It puts harness racing on display on a family raceday

also gives central districts trainers a fair (non all star) suck at the savaloy

maybe they will have kids carts

maybe auckland cup winning trainer douglas gale will train the card

Correct. How dare they cast aspersions on our beloved Wairarapa.:D  Great day out and usually well supported for a battling club.

• Like 1

Not that I'm an expert, but think I would've taken the opportunity to drop into the trail behind Sharknado rather than heading for the lead - I know she would've struggled to out sprint the pacers going toward he line, but reckon that may have been the better option than using her up early.

Edited by Taku Umanga

Guest CrossCodes

Would have been interesting to see what would have happened if she hadn’t broken up, she was going a very cheeky race, considering our so called expert Brodie didn’t think she would even be able to keep up.

1 hour ago, CrossCodes said:

Would have been interesting to see what would have happened if she hadn’t broken up, she was going a very cheeky race, considering our so called expert Brodie didn’t think she would even be able to keep up.

CrossCodes, she broke because she was under pressure and could not accelerate as quick as the pacers were going!!!!!!

Not sure why any driver would have handed up,to the trotter in the first place, but she would have finished last anyway even if she hadn’t broken!

I am pleased that you think I am an expert!