Bit Of A Yarn

Nelson Trots on Friday / Sunday.

Joe Kidd

Nelson trots @ Richmond Park is always one of my favourite meetings on the calendar. 

A lot of scope to win a hat full. Find a trainer with a few likely runners and if he shows form, back all his runners with confidence. Did exactly that from the get go on the West Coast with Darren Keast. 

Robert Dunn will grab his share of winners over the two days as he always does at sunny Nelson.

Here's my first tip for Nelson. You have to be brave as this mare has cost punters a fortune since November. Scarlett Banner in race 7. Nelson is a long way to go just to put on another rodeo act. Instinct tells me she is ready to play the game. The fact another of Gavin Smith's trotters Red Hot Rocket finally got it right at Oamaru yesterday is a good sign for Scarlett Banner. I predict she will win both days at Nelson and pay the believers of which, I'm one. 

Local trainer Murray Pash has two runners who will both run well. Jazelle in the first. Blair Orange driving and in the famous Berkett colours. Filly goes ok. Stablemate Zippidy Doodah stood up on the Coast and the locals will be keen on this mares chances. A Nelson quinella seems very likely. Dadndave is trained at West Melton by ex Nelson boy Tim Trathen for John.

My dear old mum is a big fan of Uncle Remus and the Song of the South so she will enjoy the connection. 

• Like 2

I will be sticking  to a few I followed round the coast circuit,  he's fasten furious, sonic reign, and have to be on mogul, after getting a great collect when he won over there and played 40s, he won his first 2 race over there a couple years ago, may battle off the 20m.

• Like 2

Joe, as per my post regarding stipes, you know my feelings about Scatlett Banner. With its recent manners, it should have had to trial first before racing. It will be fav again, so wont be getting any of my hard earnt cash. As in foal, will be last few races, so obviously some of stipes could be owners, trainers mates, which explains

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Newmarket said:

Joe, as per my post regarding stipes, you know my feelings about Scatlett Banner. With its recent manners, it should have had to trial first before racing. It will be fav again, so wont be getting any of my hard earnt cash. As in foal, will be last few races, so obviously some of stipes could be owners, trainers mates, which explains

I agree that trialing serial offender unruly horses to the satisfaction of the stipes making good sense. That is especially so for horses that always attract a lot of support. No fun hearing the caller say your ticket on bla bla bla is confetti after only 5 seconds of the race. Having said that, the whole punting caper is a gamble with every runner, it's just that gamble is bigger with certain runners. 

One thing for certain, the mare is there to win at Nelson and as a punter, that knowledge can be gold. I disagree about her being fav on Friday. She likely will be a short fav on Sunday but you may get a price on Friday due to many having abandoned ship. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Joe Kidd said:

I agree that trialing serial offender unruly horses to the satisfaction of the stipes making good sense. That is especially so for horses that always attract a lot of support. No fun hearing the caller say your ticket on bla bla bla is confetti after only 5 seconds of the race. Having said that, the whole punting caper is a gamble with every runner, it's just that gamble is bigger with certain runners. 

One thing for certain, the mare is there to win at Nelson and as a punter, that knowledge can be gold. I disagree about her being fav on Friday. She likely will be a short fav on Sunday but you may get a price on Friday due to many having abandoned ship. 

Fair enough, but not for me. Horse is showing it is ready for motherhood. I suggest two starts for 2 gallops this upcoming meeting

5 hours ago, Newmarket said:

Fair enough, but not for me. Horse is showing it is ready for motherhood. I suggest two starts for 2 gallops this upcoming meeting

I hear what you're saying and you may well be correct to give her a wide berth but instinct along with numerous other factors are telling me this is the very time to love like you've never had your heart broken and then back up on Sunday.

Scarlett Banner ending her race career with back to back wins is very likely to my eye. 

1 hour ago, Joe Kidd said:

I hear what you're saying and you may well be correct to give her a wide berth but instinct along with numerous other factors are telling me this is the very time to love like you've never had your heart broken and then back up on Sunday.

Scarlett Banner ending her race career with back to back wins is very likely to my eye. 

And G Smith has had fair few winners at Nelson too over the years

• Like 3

12 hours ago, Newmarket said:

Scarlett Banner, began good, battled on ok. Just not goong as good as it was

I had a slightly different take on her run. 

Began well for the first time in a while. Was used up to make it around to the front. Never looked like putting a foot wrong but the effort told in the home straight. Was beaten very close to home by a decent totter that hugged the fence. I thought it was a very good confidence building run.

In her last few races, Scarlett Banner has had an early shower. That sort of thing does not help overall race fitness. I'm sure in training there has been an emphasis just getting her away recently so the run would have done her a power of good. To my eye, she's a special in race 7 tomorrow.

Tokyo Joe is the biggest threat to her outside of her losing the plot and Zsa Zoe is a very safe place bet.

Trifecta in one.

1st.  Scarlett Banner.

2nd. Tokyo Joe

3rd. Zsa Zoe. 

Bonnie Highlander has a lot of upside and will be a mare to keep a close eye on in upcoming weeks. She beat Scarlett Banners conqueror in a recent workout.

• Like 1

I noticed in the first 2 races yesterday Gavin smith steered his horses completely off the track when they got tired,out of others way. I don't thinki have seen that done before apart from when the stipes asked the question of him at addington recently. If this is the new trend it looks like the trots will look like those steeplechase racees where the jockeys take them out of the race if they are tired. 

I just wonder what the point of driving like that is. He really wasn't holding anyone up,and besides even if he was then would he do the same if he had a stablemate up front. 

I see he got 5 days suspension for another matter relating to one of those drives.I wonder what the trainers instructions were for that first starter? Personally I understand that suspension,but the other bit of his driving i have referred to I think was more of a worry,(except if you were connected with the horse in question)..

Edited by the galah
  • Like 1

Easy Pickings today in Race 2. Thought it would be hard to beat, but if you did punt on him you would feel a little peeved. Yes i know it galloped late in race last start, but surely a little more urgency would have seen him home. He was well clear of 3rd horse, so even if he did gallop, would hold place. What do others think?

15 minutes ago, Newmarket said:

Easy Pickings today in Race 2. Thought it would be hard to beat, but if you did punt on him you would feel a little peeved. Yes i know it galloped late in race last start, but surely a little more urgency would have seen him home. He was well clear of 3rd horse, so even if he did gallop, would hold place. What do others think?

Yes I agree, was probably not going to beat the winner, but he never even did anything

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Newmarket said:

All Dunns horses raced poorly in Nelson Cup. Mmmmmm

good to see DadnDave win. Dunn horses disappointing but I thought Tyrons Better Ella was a bit unlucky being caught behind tiring stablemate Kotare Cullen who stopped before the home bend. G O'Reilly will regret handing up to the boss now.

• Like 1