Bit Of A Yarn

SPANKEM WINS MIRACLE MILE

You are totally correct Joe, but we are wasting our time commenting on the subject any more!

Reality is that these one eyed AllStar supporters are totally blind to what is happening and the consequences that are happening!

Yes the major races are a total turnoff for most punters, nominations are pathetic when AllStars are nominated!

They say we are jealous or supporting mediocrity but we are just concerned about the harness industry going forward!

I am going to have to stop commenting on the topic as it is a total waste of time as we get the same response every time from the blinded!

Doesnt and won’t affect me financially as I have said previously, it is the owners and trainers who are wanting a slight return for their investment in their harness horses that I feel sorry for!

This years yearling sales is just another nail in the coffin!

• Like 1
  • Champ Post 2

5 hours ago, globederby12 said:

We shall see Joe. The whole stable knows that MM is only just starting to show his potential. Hope springs eternal , but we are not scared of Kings Landing.

You may be surprised.

More like shocked than surprised Globe. Your MM is a superb animal that will win plenty but Kings Landing has more strings to his bow than Stent as he's a better stayer and will in time be better than Monbet who I told everyone would be the next big thing at his third start. Big claims I know but I'm sure more will get on-board each time Kings Landing races.

You are absolutely right about hope as without it, we are doomed.

Ironically, one of the first 50 cent doubles I collected was in the early 70's. First leg was First Tuesday beating Armbrose Lodge and Sir Troubador while the second leg was none other than Springs Eternal who I followed every time it ran. I think Bill Cherry was the caller down South. OMFG, am I that old :) 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

13 hours ago, Basil said:

This point of view raises what has long been a puzzling question to me — when did 'elite' become a dirty word?  I saw it creep in during 30 years in academia, and all it achieved was a debasing of standards.

Personally, I associate 'elite' with 'excellence', and believe it's something that should be celebrated, not denigrated.

That's  my belief  as well  but we are a minority  Basil as on here the envy melts their  keypad after any AS win.

A sad  but true reality with the exception.of Globe. Good on him

Greg

1 hour ago, JJ Flash said:

That's  my belief  as well  but we are a minority  Basil as on here the envy melts their  keypad after any AS win.

A sad  but true reality with the exception.of Globe. Good on him

Greg

Up to your usual passive aggressive bum licking I see. If people don't agree with you, they must be wrong.

• Like 1
  • Champ Post 1

1 hour ago, Joe Kidd said:

Up to your usual passive aggressive bum licking I see. If people don't agree with you, they must be wrong.

I leave the bum licking to you and your 3 supporters, you do talk some absolute rubbish about my  posts on a regular basis. But you  keep hammering away if thats what spins your wheels.

Greg

12 hours ago, Brodie said:

You are totally correct Joe, but we are wasting our time commenting on the subject any more!

Reality is that these one eyed AllStar supporters are totally blind to what is happening and the consequences that are happening!

Yes the major races are a total turnoff for most punters, nominations are pathetic when AllStars are nominated!

They say we are jealous or supporting mediocrity but we are just concerned about the harness industry going forward!

I am going to have to stop commenting on the topic as it is a total waste of time as we get the same response every time from the blinded!

Doesnt and won’t affect me financially as I have said previously, it is the owners and trainers who are wanting a slight return for their investment in their harness horses that I feel sorry for!

This years yearling sales is just another nail in the coffin!

As I have stated previously Brodie, I was hugely impressed with the All Stars several years ago when the started dominating harness racing. After several seasons of it especially in elite races, I started to see a different picture. Not only where they scooping virtually all the high value races, they were often doing so in a manner that obliterated anything that even vaguely resembled a level playing field. The All Stars absolutely use their numerical advantage to assist each other in racing. Anyone who disagrees with that is wearing blinkers. They invariably have the best horses in a race. Good on them for astute buying / breeding. They invariably have the best conditioned horses in a race. Hats off to them on that score also. MP and NR are among the best in the gig and I applaud them in that area. They do their homework on their rivals and consistently produce magnificent results. None of these things of course are negative. They have raised the bar to a level most others could only dream of. If AS runners racing each other were actively competing against each other as individual identities for the entire race, their activities would not leave a bad taste but that only ever happens in the home straight. The advantage AS runners almost always have is increased considerably by the way they assist each other much earlier in the race. This is invariably where races are won for them and lost for any rival who has the audacity to compete with them.

They use their numerical advantage to squeeze out and ultimately eliminate any meaningful opposition. 

Watch the way an AS runner is determined to hold a controlling race position if they are the sole stable representative in a feature race. Then watch how meekly they hand up to a stablemate in what is unmistakably a contrived / choreographed move. It's all about gaining control of the race and doing so without using excess fuel. The AS are masters at this. Then look at their rivals. They have no hope against the numerical disadvantage. AS won't hand up to them so they will be left posted. All of a sudden, their dream for that feature is over so what can they do? Wait and dash late? So come from behind multiple AS runners who have full tanks and have controlled the race, then expect to compete with them? Good luck with that. Fact is, most of these results are a virtual fait accompli before Lamb even spouts "Rightttttttttt".

If there is a rival that has enough ability and bottom to compete, it will be a rarity. That horse will need to pull out all stops to compete. That leaves it set up perfectly for injuries. The AS may also suffer injuries while negating the threat but who is ready and waiting to claim the cream when attrition inevitably kicks in?  A production line of other AS runners is the correct answer. 

Saturday's Miracle Mile showed once again just how helpful team mates can be. Spankem is drawn 6. How many previous MM winners have won from that draw? The Fixer gets the lead in a breeze from draw 2 as it was always going to do for NR. Then MP pressed on for the lead from draw 6. Very few horses would have attempted that from the draw yet MP knew the lead would be his. How many leaders would you expect to hand up the premier position in a MM without a fight and risk being caught three back etc? Very few if any is the correct answer yet NR remarkably, didn't even look over to see who she was handing up to so meekly. Why not? Because she knew exactly who she was handing up to as the move was totally contrived. Not only was it the winning of the race, it was also a virtually guaranteed 1,2.  A smart move? Absolutely yes. It was appropriately named the "Miracle" mile as a miracle was exactly what was needed after the choreographed move for it to be anything other that an AS, 1 ,2. The performance of both runners in the home straight was sincere. NR did all she could to beat Spankem but that runner was gifted complete control and still had a tank full like The Fixer in the home straight. To my eye, the race was a farce. The only real race was for about 100 metres in the home straight between MP and NR to resolve who got first and who got second.

I anticipated it being so and didn't watch it for confirmation until the following day. The result and how it was obtained has become routine. Call me old fashioned by I'm a fan of fair play. These sorts of results are some distance from being fair play.

I am concerned for non AS owners who's dreams in the game are gradually dissipating. I'm also fairly confident that some trainers are only staying in the game now because they have limited other options. I honestly can't see how the dominance the AS and their owners achieve season after season in virtually all the high value harness races is good for the game. Perhaps I'm wrong. Time will tell but one thing for certain. I loved harness racing the moment I first went to the Nelson trots with my dad as a young six year old boy in 1968 and have loved it every year since. I've been to harness meetings in France, Denmark, Finland, USA and almost every track in Australia and NZ yet watching the AS dominate yet another elite meeting is about as appealing to me now as a visit to the dentist.

• Like 1
  • Champ Post 2

14 minutes ago, JJ Flash said:

I leave the bum licking to you and your 3 supporters, you do talk some absolute rubbish about my  posts on a regular basis. But you  keep hammering away if thats what spins your wheels.

Greg

I feel like I've just been mauled....by a new born lamb :) 

When it comes to "hammering" you stick to what you're best at.

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, Joe Kidd said:

Keep the trolling  coming Joe. In a short time you'll over take the King  mantle from Flag at your current rate

So is your real point that other contributors  are not allowed to.have a contrary opinion to you. That's what your latest  posts and replies  seem to indicate.

FYG I'LL continue to marvel and profit from the AS barn.

It's clear your losing interest and thus are not invested in the game. No great loss.perhaps

Greg

31 minutes ago, JJ Flash said:

Keep the trolling  coming Joe. In a short time you'll over take the King  mantle from Flag at your current rate

So is your real point that other contributors  are not allowed to.have a contrary opinion to you. That's what your latest  posts and replies  seem to indicate.

FYG I'LL continue to marvel and profit from the AS barn.

It's clear your losing interest and thus are not invested in the game. No great loss.perhaps

Greg

How dare you tell someone he would be no loss to the game because he has a different opinion to you.... What an arrogant tosser

• Champ Post 2

1 hour ago, Kakama said:

Wow...just watched race...nothing this horse had ever done in the past...did you expect last saturdays run. Must be some good shit

Apart from Joe's comments about the race panning out, Australia have better chemists than us. 

Frankly I'm apolitical on this subject, we just get on with it regardless, of the AS barn. Empires come and go. 

• Like 4
  • Champ Post 1

1 hour ago, Flagship uberalles said:

How dare you tell someone he would be no loss to the game because he has a different opinion to you.... What an arrogant tosser

Look Des its obvious your not very good at comprehension. For the umpteenth time , i have no issue with others opinions even if they differ from mine. The problem is there's no reciprocity. Your a classic example of it. Read what others write not what you think they mean cos your wrong too often.

As Joe said earlier

" NZ yet watching the AS dominate yet another elite meeting is about as appealing to me now as a visit to the dentist"

Greg

21 minutes ago, Flagship uberalles said:

100% Flag.

Our family has owned 35 horses outright since 1970. 29 of them made it to the races. 11 were winners. Our best performer won 8 and second best won 6. We've had no group or listed winners. Haven't been involved in horse ownership since 2014 for several reasons unrelated to the AS. Seriously contemplated getting back into it with a considerable investment early last year but what we were seeing in several areas including the AS convinced us it was futile. Further confirmation came from regular communications with several trainers and owner friends who have become more and more disillusioned in recent years.

I was at the forefront in encouraging the NZ TAB to invest in televising horse racing for several years with numerous studies. For the bulk of that time it must be said, I would have had more success communicating with a tree. For an organisation that's all about gambling, they had squirrel gonads themselves when it came to taking a gamble. When they finally relented and decided to take the plunge, I recall receiving a call from a big wig thanking me for my determination and persuasive argument which had finally hit it's mark. 

I've been regular punter for many years including a stint on both sides of the Tasman where I gave up a successful career to become a professional punter. I've taken dozens of first times to the trots over the years who are not only still in the game but have introduced many others into it as well. Perhaps I'm no loss to the sport for wanting what is best for the game and the masses rather than one stable and one small group of owners. One thing for certain, it will take more than a piss ant wearing full blinkers to stop me articulating my P.O.V.. The cheap shots from shitheels that I'm motivated by envy of the AS has about as much credibility as an eleven dollar NZ banknote. They may get traction with that angle throwing it at a wet behind the ears school boy with an intelligence quotient under 30, but if they said that to my face, the next ride they take would be in the boot of my car. 

• Like 1
  • Champ Post 2

11 minutes ago, hunterthepunter said:

name 3 supporters????

Your safe, HTP as you are invested in the game unlike the others i was referring to , the negative nellies.

I suspect you would have had a good day at Cheviot meeting despite Duke's performance. Not surprised that  the team driving conspiracy theorists  are not going on about the Dunn multi teams efforts in the Cup won by Sheriff, this time obviously does not fit there theory Haha

Greg

Edited by JJ Flash

1 hour ago, Kakama said:

Wow...just watched race...nothing this horse had ever done in the past...did you expect last saturdays run. Must be some good shit

I'm sure you noticed the AS pair especially at the finish Kakama. Both, in particular Spankem looked like they could go back around to the start and do it all again. Remarkable. I knew Spankem was a decent enough horse. I didn't know he was one of the very best we've ever had. :) 

Edited by Joe Kidd
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, globederby12 said:

Apart from Joe's comments about the race panning out, Australia have better chemists than us. 

Frankly I'm apolitical on this subject, we just get on with it regardless, of the AS barn. Empires come and go. 

They sure are Globe. The potion that most impressed me enabled reasonable horses to go wide, sit parked, press on, deal with challengers and then leave them standing in the home straight when the rest were gasping...and then look like they could repeat the performance five minutes later...Just magic.  The part that amused me most was when significant betting movements went hand in hand with the performance. It was instrumental in me giving up my journey as a professional punter.

I admire your enthusiasm and tenacity to press on with optimism regardless of the total AS domination. I sincerely hope you are well rewarded. If MM wins on Jewels Day, I will not stop smiling for hours and will raise a glass of single malt to you and toast your success. Glenmorangie a favourite at this time. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, JJ Flash said:

Look Des its obvious your not very good at comprehension. For the umpteenth time , i have no issue with others opinions even if they differ from mine. The problem is there's no reciprocity. Your a classic example of it. Read what others write not what you think they mean cos your wrong too often.

Greg

Certainly don't remember telling or asking you to use my first name, I certainly don't use yours......there you go again telling me how to interpret what other people say, because "I'm wrong to often" (because you don't agree with what I say) you are a complete stirrer.....we all have skin in the game one way or another and are all entitled to our say.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, JJ Flash said:

Your safe, HTP as you are invested in the game unlike the others i was referring to , the negative nellies.

I suspect you would have had a good day at Cheviot meeting despite Duke's performance. Not surprised that  the team driving conspiracy theorists  are not going on about the Dunn multi teams efforts in the Cup won by Sheriff, this time obviously does not fit there theory Haha

Greg

Are you for real or do you just enjoy being a prize prat?

Anyone who does not think the AS assist each other when they have multiple runners in a quality race is either ignorant, totally bias or dangerously naive. I'm genuinely shocked that you can't see it. Did you especially enjoy Pollyanna when growing up?

As for Sheriff winning the 12k Cheviot Cup.  

I won't mention previous allegations etc in that area and instead just focus on the "cup". Despite what you've witnessed on Star Trek, we haven't yet developed the beam me up system. As a result, it's difficult for Mark Purdon to be in two places at the same time let alone two countries. Most of us appreciate the AS leave the crumbs while going after G1's elsewhere. How many AS runners were there in the Cheviot Cup? Zero of course is the correct answer. Also should be pointed out that the victor is a Derby winner, was a clear fav and driven by NZ's current best driver. The Dunn team using or not using their numerical advantage in a run of the mill 12k race is not comparing apples with apples, but you knew that. You just wanted to be obtuse and passive aggressive because it's safe to do so online. 

• Champ Post 2

55 minutes ago, Joe Kidd said:

100% Flag.

Our family has owned 35 horses outright since 1970. 29 of them made it to the races. 11 were winners. Our best performer won 8 and second best won 6. We've had no group or listed winners. 

And that to me is what it's all about, a passion for the sport, not a machine with the richest owners and best bloodstock that only turn up for the big money and pisses all over the small owner/trainer that are always there supporting the small meetings and clubs picking up the crumbs.....and I bet you got such a kick out of every one of those wins your horses had Joe.

• Like 1
  • Champ Post 1

1 hour ago, Flagship uberalles said:

And that to me is what it's all about, a passion for the sport, not a machine with the richest owners and best bloodstock that only turn up for the big money and pisses all over the small owner/trainer that are always there supporting the small meetings and clubs picking up the crumbs.....and I bet you got such a kick out of every one of those wins your horses had Joe.

Absolutely Flag.

Still remember every moment of every win. We shared the love at the time and that love is still be shared back years later. Would never begrudge anyone who was fortunate enough to win a big one but when the same names and faces are scooping almost the entire pool season after season the cream starts to sour. 

• Champ Post 1