Bit Of A Yarn

SPANKEM WINS MIRACLE MILE

21 hours ago, Joe Kidd said:

At no point have I denigrated "elite". That is selective nit picking and hair splitting.

[snip next 1000 words...] 

Crikey Dunc (back under yet another name I see), a simple "I misspoke" would have sufficed.

• Haha 1

On 3/03/2019 at 3:29 PM, Happy Sunrise said:

I can relate to that mindset. 

The best thing about harness racing is about the variability, the unknown, the inconsistency and the surprises. Whereas, domination is a turn off in any sphere in the modern day. 

Winx? Yeah, she is good, but give me Bonecrusher and Waverley Star any day of the week.

Are you sure about this Happy, or are you just playing devil's advocate?

Domination that's the result of a monopoly is undoubtedly something to be abhorred, but domination that reflects underlying excellence, which in turn forces others to lift their standards or exit stage right, is something to be admired.

For a day out with the kids, or a day on the punt (cue Brodie!), I can see how "a day at the Nelson trots" might well be an attractive option. But for any serious race-goer, who wants to see the breed perform as close to its maximum potential as possible, surely it's no contest with Cup and Jewels Days?  After all, Wales haven't beaten NZ at rugby since 1953, but there wouldn't be too many of us who'd forego watching their next matchup in order to take in the Eketahuna 3rds vs the Pahiatua 2nds, regardless of how "unknown" the result of the latter might be. 

Brodie on cue!

Harness Racing is totally stuffed without horses and punters!

Owners are getting the stitch totally with this dominance  Basil, the yearling sales this year shows that if you go thru who the buyers were!

Punters are turned off as well from the minute divs. at premier meetings!

The big bets on the hot favourites that are being put on are a surefire way of losing!

The average punter is not bothering on these days!

The AllStar supporters are allowed their opinion just as well as the intelligent posters who actually know what affect it is having on harness racing,

• Champ Post 2

44 minutes ago, Basil said:

Domination that's the result of a monopoly is undoubtedly something to be abhorred, but domination that reflects underlying excellence, which in turn forces others to lift their standards or exit stage right, is something to be admired.

For a day out with the kids, or a day on the punt (cue Brodie!), I can see how "a day at the Nelson trots" might well be an attractive option. But for any serious race-goer, who wants to see the breed perform as close to its maximum potential as possible, surely it's no contest with Cup and Jewels Days?  After all, Wales haven't beaten NZ at rugby since 1953, but there wouldn't be too many of us who'd forego watching their next matchup in order to take in the Eketahuna 3rds vs the Pahiatua 2nds, regardless of how "unknown" the result of the latter might be. 

Hes intelligent so hes playing Devils methinks, great analogy with the rugby. i hope im allowed this opinion without being attacked again ?

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Basil said:

I just prefer to watch a contest.

The brilliance of the All Stars is undeniable but I don't find the procession interesting. Just how I feel as it has been going on for awhile now.

2 hours ago, Basil said:

After all, Wales haven't beaten NZ at rugby since 1953, but there wouldn't be too many of us who'd forego watching their next matchup in order to take in the Eketahuna 3rds vs the Pahiatua 2nds, regardless of how "unknown" the result of the latter might be. 

I can't be bothered watching the All Blacks versus Italy, or even worse a team such as Fiji. 

I actually would rather watch Scotland V Wales, neither the best but it is intriguing.

• Like 1
  • Champ Post 1

2 hours ago, Basil said:

Sorry basil, but give me a grass roots rugby game over an over hyped all blacks foregone conclusion any day... I played rugby to a pretty high level growing up, but I can see why 99% of the rest of the world prefer a football World cup to a rugby world cup where theoretically most teams have a chance.....not many live chances at a rugby world cup, a bit like our top harness races now.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Basil said:

Crikey Dunc (back under yet another name I see), a simple "I misspoke" would have sufficed.

Basil with his trusty word counter.

So is it Basil Fawlty, Basil Brush or Basil the Mouse Detective ? The mouse detective would be raging hot fav.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Flagship uberalles said:

Sorry basil, but give me a grass roots rugby game over an over hyped all blacks foregone conclusion any day... I played rugby to a pretty high level growing up, but I can see why 99% of the rest of the world prefer a football World cup to a rugby world cup where theoretically most teams have a chance.....not many live chances at a rugby world cup, a bit like our top harness races now.

Most teams have a chance at the Football World Cup. ??? That has to be the best laugh I have had this year. Thank you. 

The truth is that only eight, I repeat EIGHT, teams have won the World Cup... Brazil (5), Italy & Germany (4), Uruguay, France & Argentina (2), England and Spain (1). There have been 21 World Cups, Uruguay and England have not won since 1950 and 1966 respectively and probably will not win it again. That leaves the Brazil, Italy, Germany, Spain or Argentina to take the title. These teams have dominated and will continue to do so. Few others teams have a chance against them. 

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, OLDWHITEMAN said:

Most teams have a chance at the Football World Cup. ??? That has to be the best laugh I have had this year. Thank you. 

The truth is that only eight, I repeat EIGHT, teams have won the World Cup... Brazil (5), Italy & Germany (4), Uruguay, France & Argentina (2), England and Spain (1). There have been 21 World Cups, Uruguay and England have not won since 1950 and 1966 respectively and probably will not win it again. That leaves the Brazil, Italy, Germany, Spain or Argentina to take the title. These teams have dominated and will continue to do so. Few others teams have a chance against them. 

Your leaving out decent teams like Croatia, Portugal, the Netherlands, and plenty of African nations capable as well ..far more excitement and chance for upset at a football World cup than a very lopsided rugby one....

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, OLDWHITEMAN said:

The 2018 world cup last 8 would have been paying 1 million to 1

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Flagship uberalles said:

Your leaving out decent teams like Croatia, Portugal, the Netherlands, and plenty of African nations capable as well ..far more excitement and chance for upset at a football World cup than a very lopsided rugby one....

Clearly, you did not read my reply. Your original post was about World Cup winners. Yes, the list of teams you mention above are decent teams but I left them out because they have never caused an upset and won the World Cup. Fact is the Football World Cup is very lopsided with the top five sides dominating since the contest began.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, OLDWHITEMAN said:

Clearly, you did not read my reply. Your original post was about World Cup winners. Yes, the list of teams you mention above are decent teams but I left them out because they have never caused an upset and won the World Cup. Fact is the Football World Cup is very lopsided with the top five sides dominating since the contest began.

Thats double that of the rugby world cup and that will never change! 

2 hours ago, OLDWHITEMAN said:

Nothing unusual there

41 minutes ago, Flagship uberalles said:

Thats double that of the rugby world cup and that will never change! 

So Oldwhiteman says five sides dominate Football WC and yet you say thats double rugby WC suggesting 2.5 to maths challenged

Factually, All Blacks, Ozzie ,England and South Africa as in 4 teams have won WC and its been going a lot less than FC World Cup

A stunning win to OWM on all points IMHO but lets not let facts get in the way of a FU post

Greg

1 hour ago, JJ Flash said:

Nothing unusual there

So Oldwhiteman says five sides dominate Football WC and yet you say thats double rugby WC suggesting 2.5 to maths challenged

Factually, All Blacks, Ozzie ,England and South Africa as in 4 teams have won WC and its been going a lot less than FC World Cup

A stunning win to OWM on all points IMHO but lets not let facts get in the way of a FU post

Greg

"Stunning" JJ flop! What's that 3.5 billion viewers watched world cup football final, how many for the Rugby w.c final? Because big rugby games like major harness racing events are very lopsided, and people like competition, not knowing a result before it happens!  Even a complete arsehole like you should be able to take that in.

• Like 1
  • Champ Post 2

2 hours ago, Flagship uberalles said:

"Stunning" JJ flop! What's that 3.5 billion viewers watched world cup football final, how many for the Rugby w.c final? Because big rugby games like major harness racing events are very lopsided, and people like competition, not knowing a result before it happens!  Even a complete arsehole like you should be able to take that in.

Oh Des, your getting outpointed and changing the narrative again when getting a proverbial pasting. The resort to abusive language is also  consistent by all accounts

Greg

6 hours ago, OLDWHITEMAN said:

Not quite right. Holland winning the World Cup( nearly) a few times would not have been an upset. In fact they would have been favoured to succeed , in most instances. The best Footballing nation never to win it.

My Dutch friends wince when the subject is bought up.