Bit Of A Yarn

Horses, Drivers That kill You Punting

Newmarket

Which drivers, horses do you seem to always get on the wrong side with?? 

John Dunn seems to kill me, wins when i am betting against, loses when i am on, regardless if fav or not. 

Spheedy, christ how can you back this pig. Won 2 starts back, knocked me off, yesterday back to its pig antics. I would like to see any horse that gallops in 4 straight races, have to have 1 month break, then have to trial 4 times in a row without galloping

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Tonkatime! said:

I use to take a few easy bet trifecta’a at the meetings in the Deep South ten years or so ago.

Your choice...

2 hours ago, Tonkatime! said:

The number of times I got Kelly Evander in them was unreal. 

but I think the punting gods were sending you a very clear message...?

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, Newmarket said:

Which drivers, horses do you seem to always get on the wrong side with?? 

I can still suckered into or get scared of Dalgety or McGrath horses just by reputation and TAB odds when I know better. I throw them in trebles or quaddies etc and it just blows the percentage or cost. 

When I am studying the form (and consequently in form myself) I don't get trapped so easily and wonder why oh why some things are made favourite when they clearly shouldn't be. Mitchell Kerr and Reagan Tood are two trainers who have made a name for themselves recently and the TAB are pretty tight on anything they produced to the races, whether they are good or bad. 

I am not following the horses really closely at the moment but horses like Sweet Loress always get backed but I am never sure why as it never wins. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Happy Sunrise said:

Sweet Loress always get backed but I am never sure why as it never wins. 

Possible reason:

This horse has been tipped out a few times on the Boys Get Paid Facebook page in the last few months.

No doubt some of the lads have thrown a dollar or two at it and the TAB "bookies" (I use that term very loosely) have caved the odds in. 

1 hour ago, Rusty said:

Possible reason:

This horse has been tipped out a few times on the Boys Get Paid Facebook page in the last few months.

No doubt some of the lads have thrown a dollar or two at it and the TAB "bookies" (I use that term very loosely) have caved the odds in. 

Interesting.

It is one of those horses that kind of runs on now and again and deceives you. It is not really a winning racehorse at the moment.

It could win one day when it drops back into a much easier race when it has a good draw.

Johnny cox is a driver who's tactics  often frustrate me,and he seems to have a knack of raising my blood pressure. I also find Robbie holmes hard to follow. What you normally get with Robbie holmes is he goes way too hard early,and you know you are gone after 300m because of using up far too much petrol early.  

My pet dislike is being on drivers,and it happens a lot,who just sit there in the last 400m of a race and never pull out when going ok,and then end up getting held up. 

I'm convinced if they just pulled out and gave their  horse a clear run instead of waiting,that 4 out of 5 would get better results. Its a simple matter of playing the percentages properly.

My favorite drivers are the ones who can rate pace and pull out and run at constant speeds instead of stop go tactics, blair orange ,john dunn being the best at that.

Edited by the galah
  • Champ Post 1

Never have much luck with  Brent Mangos for some reason,  very good driver but always ends up  parked for me.   I had a Dutch friend with surname Versteeg , his nemesis was driver of same name, he always backed him  because of the connection but after waiting a few years to get a return he  reckoned he was  just a disgrace to family name.  Richard Brosnan used to rark me up , would back him when he drew like 5 or 6 figuring he couldn't find the rails from there, but within 100 metres his eyes would light up and he'd head over there and be 3 deep. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

2 hours ago, hunterthepunter said:

Blair Orange is just the best can drive even bad horses and make them look good that's why he is called the postman as he just keeps delivering

Dexter is killing it in America,

Dexter when he was here won that many premiership in a row it wasn’t funny so to say that Blair is the best is not that accurate.

Blair is phenomenal and consistent and hardly ever drives a poor race.

The Thing is though that if Dexter was here you would be able to compare the two, the reality is that Dexter was always driving more winners when he was last here.