Bit Of A Yarn

What a joke NZ racing has become.....

Do you not think this happens at every NZ Raceday?

When the meeting is on your doorstep & you have a chance of collecting something, why would you not do it?. why would you go to a trial to race for nothing and the trial could be further away than your local meeting which is about 5km from Rogies place at the furtherest.

Guest CrossCodes

Rogerson  should just take anything he can get these days, sad to see a former top trainer struggling to win anything these past few seasons, proves money doesn’t buy wins, you have to actually know what you are doing.

6 minutes ago, Ashley said:

its happened in autralia with Waller horses too though.  and yes Rogerson is going real bad.

I think you will find Waller trials most horses before they race. So they are ready for a $130,000 race on a Saturday.

I may be wrong a 10k race on a Saturday may feel like going to trials.

There is a lowly race meeting at a place called Forbes (NSW) on Monday.  Town popn about 6,500.
Their maiden 1000m is worth $38k...richer than any race run in NZ this weekend except the time-honoured Winter Cup at Riccarton.

Meantime at Te Rapa, Hamilton local population over 100,000 they need Rogie to enter 6 horses to make up a barebones field of early 3yos and then they schedule the highest rating race (Open Hcp sprint) as race 3. Who is running this farce?   

It's no good highlighting stakes differences.  NZ racing is broke, there's nothing in the bin.

The sad thing to realise is that with one feature meeting in one part of the country, the industry has contracted to the extent that  other meetings can become farcical.

Good on Rogie for taking the course he did, however....cheaper and more productive for his owners to run for money ( even if not much )  rather than have to pay to trial.

Edited by Freda
  • Like 2

The reasons for garnering only 2 noms is one story.  But Rogie's actions not uncommon at all.  I believe the likes of Kevin Gray has often opted for races where he may otherwise have trialed a horse.  

If I was the owner I would definitely want to know though! - and the punter probably should too! 

I have noticed in the past Rogerson has had a pretty drab strike rate and maybe this accounts for it (in part, at least).

As for the comments / criticism re Rogie - I don't know him personally or a great deal about him beyond what is in the media.  But isn't it Team Rogerson these days?  So maybe any demise is not his to be shouldered alone? 

• Champ Post 1

When being interviewed it is very common (especially leading into or at the start of the spring racing) to hear trainers say:

"He (or she) will need the run in this."

Have a listen to Radio Trackside's starting gates in the next dozen or so Saturday mornings and you'll hear it all the time. 

It doesn't soley apply to the gallops either, it is just as common in the harness code. 

These days most people are time poor and I pity the poor punter that misses this key information. 

It almost needs a new abbreviation in the form guide, with an asterisk and "NTR" next to the horses name.

NTR - NEEDS THE RUN.

I'm just joking, but not really. 

• Haha 1

15 hours ago, TIME FOR CHANGE said:

Do you think that a trainer saying he put horses in to make up a field (only 2 noms) is good for racing. 

Just keep taking punters money !!

You realise Chris Waller nominated his stayers to run against Winx for this very reason?

Sure, the racing was noncompetitive, but it's better than no race at all.

I didn't hear Rogie's post-race i/v re Rok Cha, but wouldn't be surprised if he said it's a Slipper horse (or KM at least) and/or the next Savabeel. Love him or hate him, he is a legendary character who is not universally popular (!) but his achievements (and the yarns surrounding them) are exceptional. One story goes that he says to new clients ..look, you've got the money and I've got the experience...and a few months or years later says "now I've got the money and you've had the experience". Classic!

• Haha 2

the traisl this week are at te teko and if you take a horse there from Cambridge or even matatama it costs about $800 in transport etc to run for zero.  much much more sense to race at te rapa and at least pick up some prize money as well. 

1 hour ago, Weasel said:

I didn't hear Rogie's post-race i/v re Rok Cha, but wouldn't be surprised if he said it's a Slipper horse (or KM at least) and/or the next Savabeel. Love him or hate him, he is a legendary character who is not universally popular (!) but his achievements (and the yarns surrounding them) are exceptional. One story goes that he says to new clients ..look, you've got the money and I've got the experience...and a few months or years later says "now I've got the money and you've had the experience". Classic!

Mustelidus mightiness - greetings to you on a Sunday morning.

I emoji'd you a ha-ha for this post .... but I've got to say - that Rogie anecdote is funniest from a distance.  If I was the client in receipt of that comment - I possibly would not be so quick to reach for the ha-ha response  ? 

What's news Weasel? Trust you are well.  I do think of you each time I set my Doc 200 pest trap - specially designed for rats & mustelids ......?

Edited by jess

22 hours ago, TIME FOR CHANGE said:

When you have a leading NZ trainer using a Saturday race day to give a team a run instead of going to the trials.

Time to close the place down. It is becoming a DISGRACE.

Before we had the 'trial' process of getting them fit to race..this is what we had...

Punters would assess fitness levels by sharp birdcage analysis and make their choices...

Nowdays we also have the various 'market' prices to help us as well...who's screwed up and who isn't...

Most Trainers when being interviewed are fairly honest in their assessments these days as well...

It is what it is in a difficult environment these days isn't it?

11 hours ago, jess said:

Mustelidus mightiness - greetings to you on a Sunday morning.

I emoji'd you a ha-ha for this post .... but I've got to say - that Rogie anecdote is funniest from a distance.  If I was the client in receipt of that comment - I possibly would not be so quick to reach for the ha-ha response  ? 

What's news Weasel? Trust you are well.  I do think of you each time I set my Doc 200 pest trap - specially designed for rats & mustelids ......?

and I thought you were such a kind, compassionate young Jess ..but you want to kill off the lovely Mustelids??? LOL

What's new? I have two mates who are breeding from a handful of mares. and racing a few handy types (incl 1 I have a tiny part of ...)

Love this awfully frustrating game and would be delighted to see my friends cop a Grp 1 or 2 in the next season.

D:

On 3/08/2019 at 4:44 PM, TIME FOR CHANGE said:

Do you think that a trainer saying he put horses in to make up a field (only 2 noms) is good for racing. 

Just keep taking punters money !!

Just going back over the review....

...and you're dead right...Debbie used it 4/5 times

Then wrt MALAMBA " were using this race as a trial...concerned about the track too"

Goes straight to the front and blitzes them!

Not a good listen at all...

NZ trainers really have no idea about the meaning of INTEGRITY when it comes to the crunch..

Perhaps too honest??

On 4/08/2019 at 9:05 AM, Weasel said:

Haha, You were nearly right weasel!

Rodgy said the 3rd horse..."watch this horse Rodders..could be anything"

On 3/08/2019 at 9:47 PM, Weasel said:

There is a lowly race meeting at a place called Forbes (NSW) on Monday.  Town popn about 6,500.
Their maiden 1000m is worth $38k...richer than any race run in NZ this weekend except the time-honoured Winter Cup at Riccarton.

Meantime at Te Rapa, Hamilton local population over 100,000 they need Rogie to enter 6 horses to make up a barebones field of early 3yos and then they schedule the highest rating race (Open Hcp sprint) as race 3. Who is running this farce?   

No 1000 metre maiden.  No 38k stake.  Even Forbes Cup stake wasn't 38k.

• Haha 1