Bit Of A Yarn

Cookey spits the DUMMY...

Talk about a moment in Grunt Cooksley's training career!!

His first win!

So guess what?  He rufuses to be interviewed...like a DUMMY...mute...

Blardy marvellous advertisement for racing that is....Generation Z love no speakies though...muted on their devices...they wouldn't give a damn maam...

Seriously though..these mute Trainers...Dummy being their leader...

Should be made to front media..just like every other Coach/Trainer in Professional Sport is required to do...

Imagine if they didn't...there'd be no media...and no interest

Dummy should have been kicked out long ago...

...and Cookey fined...until he submits

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Grant isn't exactly a talker.

I was asked to be his jockey manager a few years ago but I knew we wouldn't get along, so turned it down.

However, I think NZ trainers are expected to be "branded" like the Aussies, but it's just not in our culture.

We're the type to get our hands dirty, not buy an expensive suit and try attract new owners. 

What's best for racing? Probably the latter, but some people are beyond changing.

• Like 2

Settle down Thomass,  I see no reason why Grant Cooksley should be forced to talk publicly. A polite 'decline' is OK in my book. some people are very afraid of cameras, and being in the limelight. Even if he's not one of them, he has every right to say no.

Edited by Weasel
  • Haha 1

I believe they didn't ask him,as they were were having Technical difficulties, but they did say they will get him on .Did any Jockey/ Trainer get interviewed at Ruakaka   ??? 

Or is Thomas talking  rubbish again without knowing the facts before he does talk.                              /          /?

14 minutes ago, Weasel said:

Settle down Thomass,  I see no reason why Grant Cooksley should be forced to talk publicly. A polite 'decline' is OK in my book. some people are very afraid of cameras, and being in the limelight. Even if he's not one of them, he has every right to say no.

Agree.  Even that would be better than Rogie telling us yet again that "this is the best horse he has ever had."

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Why would you want to be interviewed by some self important trackside stooge after how Myers was treated by that useless tosser Adrian Clark. If they disagree with what you say, they jump up and down like spoilt brats, and go running to the NZTR claiming they were lied to, and demanding the interviewy be fined and punished. Fook them I say.

• Like 2

Splendido is a real enigma. Here he was in one of the weakest fields possible with a huge pull in the weights. The horse has been competitive in Group 1 both in NZ and Australia at middle distance. If ever the punter needed the trainers perspective it was on Splendido. If the trainer thought the horse was OK then should have paid $1.50 not $9.00 showing earlier in the day given the racing pattern.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Thomass said:

His first win!

Blardy marvellous advertisement for racing that is....Generation Z love no speakies though...muted on their devices...they wouldn't give a damn maam...

Should be made to front media..just like every other Coach/Trainer in Professional Sport is required to do...

What a lot of shit tommo. The only person the trainer has a duty to talk to is the OWNER of the horse. They have a fiduciary relationship. Trainers aren't always motor mouths and some of them, and jocks, don't like being interviewed live on camera. Can't blame them, especially when they get asked dumb patsy questions...like...'has the horse been working well?'...well fuck no aiden it was working like a dog and I can't imagine why I bothered lining it up...'

dumb ass tommo

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

On 12/08/2019 at 7:13 AM, Thomass said:

His first win!

have to agree tommy the sport needs to be promoted not adopt the secret society approach at least some trainers go on radio tab on raceday and give their thoughts on there runners

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, wally said:

have to agree tommy the sport needs to be promoted not adopt the secret society approach at least some trainers go on radio tab on raceday and give their thoughts on there runners

Cooksley refused AFTER the race.

He did talk to the media though:

Proven international jockey Grant Cooksley tasted success of a different kind at Ruakaka on Sunday when saddling up his first two winners as a trainer.

Cooksley gained his trainers’ license in late March to go into partnership with Bruce Wallace and he produced Splendido and Havana Heat to win, while Badea (his other runner at the Ruakaka meeting) finished second.

Making the occasion even more memorable for Cooksley was having stable apprentice Masa Hashizume share in the milestone.

“He’s a good young rider,” Cooksley said. “He’s got good balance and pushes them out well. And he listens and takes it in. I’m happy for him.”

Hashizume (23) transferred to the Cooksley-Wallace stable after initially being apprenticed to Matamata trainer Graham Richardson and appreciates the significance of the wins.

“Mr Cooksley almost smiled,” Hashizume said jokingly in reference to the poker face for which Cooksley is well-known.

Cooksley admits it was a special feeling notching that first training win with Splendido, even though he has ridden more than 2600 winners (over 1000 wins in New Zealand), registered 66 Group One wins and enjoyed success in Australia, Singapore, Malaysia, Hong Kong, Macau and New Caledonia.

“It’s a bit different than winning as a jockey,” he said.

“I got the same enjoyment, but you put in more background work as a trainer. Because of that it probably feels a bit better to win as a trainer.”

Cooksley had to settle for four seconds and a couple of thirds as a trainer before Splendido’s breakthrough win, which didn’t surprise him.

“He had been working really well and I did a bit of jumping with him just to vary his work,” Cooksley said. “He’s got the ability and it’s good to see him winning again.”

Splendido contested the Gr.1 New Zealand Derby (2400m) after six placings, including seconds to Group One winners Lizzie L’Amour and Provocative and Derby runner-up What’s The Story and was also Listed runner-up as a three-year-old.

Cooksley was aboard when Splendido notched his previous win, at Avondale over 2100m in January 2017 when dictating terms in front and Hashizume copied the tactics at Ruakaka.

Apprentice jockey Masa Hashizume is all smiles after securing a double aboard Havana Heat at Ruakaka on Sunday - Trish Dunell
Apprentice jockey Masa Hashizume is all smiles after securing a double aboard Havana Heat at Ruakaka on Sunday
Trish Dunell

“I followed what Mr Cooksley had done when he won on him at Avondale,” Hashizume said.

Hashizume also got to the front on Havana Heat and the pair hung on narrowly to score by a short head, while Badea was outfinished by I See Red.

“It was a perfect day for me until I dropped my stick on Badea,” Hashizume said. “I think she could have won, too.” 

Hashizume has ridden five winners and is looking forward to riding one of those, Crystallize, again at Te Rapa on Saturday for trainer Danny Walker.

Cooksley is also keen to keep the momentum going for Hashizume, though he knows his stable won’t be into full force until later in the season.

“We’re working 20 at the moment and we won’t have much going until the end of September,” he said. “For now, there are the three horses who ran at Ruakaka and One Kotuku Street, who might run at Te Rapa on Saturday.”

Six-race winner Ronchi, the highest-rated member of the stable and a multiple black type placegetter with Cooksley aboard, is back in work and coming along quietly.

“He’s been back in around five weeks and he’s come back looking well,” Cooksley said. “He’ll tell me when he’s ready.”

Gino Severini, a winner in Ireland who joined the Byerley Park stable via Hong Kong, is also in the early stages of another campaign.

He was a winner at Ruakaka last January and runner-up twice from five New Zealand starts last campaign.

Cooksley also has hopes for Blackrocksdetox, who was put aside after running on late for eighth in the Karaka Million 2YO (1200m) at Ellerslie last January.

The son of Rip Van Winkle was third on debut last November in a Listed 1100m event at Pukekohe behind the talented Bavella then finished third to Appellant (third equal in the Karaka Million 2YO) at Ellerslie.

“I’ll just take him through the grades and he could be a nice three-year-old,” Cooksley said. “He could kick off in a 1200m race at Ruakaka at the end of September.

“It’s taken a while working the horses out, but I’ve got a nice team to work with this season.”

8 minutes ago, Chief Stipe said:

Cooksley refused AFTER the race.

He did talk to the media though:

Proven international jockey Grant Cooksley tasted success of a different kind at Ruakaka on Sunday when saddling up his first two winners as a trainer.

Cooksley gained his trainers’ license in late March to go into partnership with Bruce Wallace and he produced Splendido and Havana Heat to win, while Badea (his other runner at the Ruakaka meeting) finished second.

Making the occasion even more memorable for Cooksley was having stable apprentice Masa Hashizume share in the milestone.

“He’s a good young rider,” Cooksley said. “He’s got good balance and pushes them out well. And he listens and takes it in. I’m happy for him.”

Hashizume (23) transferred to the Cooksley-Wallace stable after initially being apprenticed to Matamata trainer Graham Richardson and appreciates the significance of the wins.

“Mr Cooksley almost smiled,” Hashizume said jokingly in reference to the poker face for which Cooksley is well-known.

Cooksley admits it was a special feeling notching that first training win with Splendido, even though he has ridden more than 2600 winners (over 1000 wins in New Zealand), registered 66 Group One wins and enjoyed success in Australia, Singapore, Malaysia, Hong Kong, Macau and New Caledonia.

“It’s a bit different than winning as a jockey,” he said.

“I got the same enjoyment, but you put in more background work as a trainer. Because of that it probably feels a bit better to win as a trainer.”

Cooksley had to settle for four seconds and a couple of thirds as a trainer before Splendido’s breakthrough win, which didn’t surprise him.

“He had been working really well and I did a bit of jumping with him just to vary his work,” Cooksley said. “He’s got the ability and it’s good to see him winning again.”

Splendido contested the Gr.1 New Zealand Derby (2400m) after six placings, including seconds to Group One winners Lizzie L’Amour and Provocative and Derby runner-up What’s The Story and was also Listed runner-up as a three-year-old.

Cooksley was aboard when Splendido notched his previous win, at Avondale over 2100m in January 2017 when dictating terms in front and Hashizume copied the tactics at Ruakaka.

Apprentice jockey Masa Hashizume is all smiles after securing a double aboard Havana Heat at Ruakaka on Sunday - Trish Dunell
Apprentice jockey Masa Hashizume is all smiles after securing a double aboard Havana Heat at Ruakaka on Sunday
Trish Dunell

“I followed what Mr Cooksley had done when he won on him at Avondale,” Hashizume said.

Hashizume also got to the front on Havana Heat and the pair hung on narrowly to score by a short head, while Badea was outfinished by I See Red.

“It was a perfect day for me until I dropped my stick on Badea,” Hashizume said. “I think she could have won, too.” 

Hashizume has ridden five winners and is looking forward to riding one of those, Crystallize, again at Te Rapa on Saturday for trainer Danny Walker.

Cooksley is also keen to keep the momentum going for Hashizume, though he knows his stable won’t be into full force until later in the season.

“We’re working 20 at the moment and we won’t have much going until the end of September,” he said. “For now, there are the three horses who ran at Ruakaka and One Kotuku Street, who might run at Te Rapa on Saturday.”

Six-race winner Ronchi, the highest-rated member of the stable and a multiple black type placegetter with Cooksley aboard, is back in work and coming along quietly.

“He’s been back in around five weeks and he’s come back looking well,” Cooksley said. “He’ll tell me when he’s ready.”

Gino Severini, a winner in Ireland who joined the Byerley Park stable via Hong Kong, is also in the early stages of another campaign.

He was a winner at Ruakaka last January and runner-up twice from five New Zealand starts last campaign.

Cooksley also has hopes for Blackrocksdetox, who was put aside after running on late for eighth in the Karaka Million 2YO (1200m) at Ellerslie last January.

The son of Rip Van Winkle was third on debut last November in a Listed 1100m event at Pukekohe behind the talented Bavella then finished third to Appellant (third equal in the Karaka Million 2YO) at Ellerslie.

“I’ll just take him through the grades and he could be a nice three-year-old,” Cooksley said. “He could kick off in a 1200m race at Ruakaka at the end of September.

“It’s taken a while working the horses out, but I’ve got a nice team to work with this season.”

thats good but wouldnt you think it would make great pr to do an iterview straight after race saying how great it felt training first winner

10 minutes ago, wally said:

thats good but wouldnt you think it would make great pr to do an iterview straight after race saying how great it felt training first winner

Probably but what if he didn't interview well - like did a Chris Johnson imitation?  Wouldn't exactly be PR would it?  Also as pointed out earlier it isn't like those metro track Aussie trainers where they have countless minions to do the work.

Cooksley had one to saddle up in the next which also won.  Perhaps his focus was understandably elsewhere.  

Perhaps the TV time could have been better spent previewing the next race.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, muzenza365 said:

I believe they didn't ask him,as they were were having Technical difficulties, but they did say they will get him on .Did any Jockey/ Trainer get interviewed at Ruakaka   ??? 

Or is Thomas talking  rubbish again without knowing the facts before he does talk.                              /          /?

You're correct muz but also incorrect....Gibbsy did his usual interview...albeit by audio...radio without pictures...

By the sounds Popps was itching to get him on...but sounded terribly reluctant...

Lets give him the benefit of the doubt...and just kick out Ralph Manning and Dummbo for refusing to give the industry the recognition that keeps them in a hobby...and happy

Some of these boys like Manning and Dummbo need to cop the f on...

...and realise they'd be runnning for pink ribbons if every Trainer refused...

22 hours ago, curious said:

And it's very different from other Coaches/Trainers in Professional Sport who are employed/contracted by the sport.  He is employed by himself and can do what ever he sees fit to that is in compliance with the rules of racing.

They're LICENSED ...and a failure to uphold the terms of their LICENSES should mean the DCM...

LICENCE = CONTRACT

Dummbo lying to the Public...guilty of bringing racing into disrepute...

Manning...accusing the Handicapper of Corruption...ffs

Dickheads...

And now they're piggy backing off other trainers hard work and good punter relations...

Imagine if they ALL did it...there wouldn't be ANY punter interest and they'd be even more into Sports betting...

19 hours ago, aquaman said:

Why would you want to be interviewed by some self important trackside stooge after how Myers was treated by that useless tosser Adrian Clark. If they disagree with what you say, they jump up and down like spoilt brats, and go running to the NZTR claiming they were lied to, and demanding the interviewy be fined and punished. Fook them I say.

Please don't relitigate this sorry case with your rubbish lies...

Dummbo was found guilty az sin of Bringing Racing into disrepute by straight out LYING to the Public...

Then rubbing it in by telling Punters that keep him running for ribbons...

That he had to LIE so his owner could get a price

wtf up

18 hours ago, Kopia said:

What a lot of shit tommo. The only person the trainer has a duty to talk to is the OWNER of the horse. They have a fiduciary relationship. Trainers aren't always motor mouths and some of them, and jocks, don't like being interviewed live on camera. Can't blame them, especially when they get asked dumb patsy questions...like...'has the horse been working well?'...well fuck no aiden it was working like a dog and I can't imagine why I bothered lining it up...'

dumb ass tommo

Times have way changed since Lazza Boring as f Mains was in control koppa...

..telling the media to F off out of his AB training facility...

And this was AFTER the race...

Interviews creat interest and gives FREE publicity to the struggling Industry...

wtf up

17 minutes ago, Thomass said:

They're LICENSED ...and a failure to uphold the terms of their LICENSES should mean the DCM...

LICENCE = CONTRACT

Dummbo lying to the Public...guilty of bringing racing into disrepute...

Manning...accusing the Handicapper of Corruption...ffs

Dickheads...

And now they're piggy backing off other trainers hard work and good punter relations...

Imagine if they ALL did it...there wouldn't be ANY punter interest and they'd be even more into Sports betting...

These examples are completely different to Cooksley not giving an interview which ISN'T in the terms of his license.

Give it a rest and move on Thomaas - the Manning and Myers examples you have done to death.

Sorry you can't read between the lines... 

We're a Professional Sport...where other Professional Sports require protagonists to FRONT UP to the Media...OR F off

And if you criticise the Feds you get fined...

Many Trainers work their asses off for the Industry and front...

freeloaders like Manning and Dummbo fly along on the others skirts without a care in the World...

...fine them before they get kicked out as well