Bit Of A Yarn

Michael House?

Newmarket

1 minute ago, hunterthepunter said:

omeprazole

Don't know but I very much doubt it.  It reduces lactic acid build up in the blood stream by reducing acid production in the stomach it doesn't change the blood pH directly.  Lactic Acid through exercise uses a different body process.  Bi-carb application (milk shaking) in theory increases blood pH thereby reducing the impact of lactic acid build up... I think.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, the galah said:

The use of pre race treatments I think depends in part on your budget.

I don't think anyone takes the risk of knowingly giving their horse something pre race that would return a positive. But as House pointed out,sometimes things can be given that help a horses health or performance if given outside the with holding times.

From my observations.

A)the average part time trainer may give his horse one of the many legal pre race boosters that claim to improve performance. They sare cheap,within nearly everyones budget.

B)then you have trainers who seem to buy products which they believe will have their horse feeling good and which they can administer themselves.

C)Then you have those trainers who have owners with the bigger chequebooks who constantly use vets to monitor bloods and administer pre race treatments of the most up to date legal products which will help the horse perform at the optimum.  

D)Then you have those that don't believe in any of the above except if they think their horse is off colour for some unknown reason, but they will very rarely use a vet to help diagnose and assist recovery.When I trained a couple I fell into this category  partly because of budget and partly because of my belief that putting things into ones body to help performance can have negative impact on the horses long term health.

Now you can see those who can afford the "C" approach ultimately are clearly going to have the best results . And as science progresses and better and more effective ways are found to "help improve performance" you can see the gap between "C"  and "B"and the others becomes greater. 

That leads to greater frustration from some. Of course those who have the financial resources for the "c" approach also tend to have the best facilities,more qualified and skilled staff,best feeds ,etc.,all factors in success.

Of course if you look at the high profile trainers many of them have a history of positives. I can't recall house doing so,but every other leading trainer I can think of does,many with multiple,simply because they have over stepped the mark or miscalculated.

So when anyone says all pre race treatment is not a factor in success rates they are talking rubbish in my opinion. It is  one of the  many ingredients in a successful formula,,but an important one..

i stand corrected but can,t remember Hopes ever having a positive