Bit Of A Yarn

Michael House?

Newmarket

Sorry to disappoint a few , but yes Mickey's post a couple of days after the interview was a piss take. Probably not in the best taste but after the interview someone thought it would be a good idea to inform the riu and dob him in, in fact twice. So just to never let the facts in the way of a good story he  thru the bait on the line and let rip. Haven't heard if this got the same response but can tell you it gave Harness unhinged on facebook  record views. As the name suggests some interview's or interviewees could be unhinged,  make up your own mind on that.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Westview said:

but after the interview someone thought it would be a good idea to inform the riu and dob him in, in fact twice.

Dob him in based on the interview? I watched it but what did he say in the interview that was incriminating enough to do that?? 

It seems INCA and this episode shows the great response to the Margo Nyhan and Peter Davis was a blip rather than the norm for the harness industry.  To me it seems like there is a lot of in fighting, distrust and bitchiness. 

he  thru the bait on the line and let rip

Childish. 

Probably not in the best taste

Most certainly in my book. 

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, Flagship uberalles said:

Problem is social media is the toilet of the world,

Isn't it. The world will never be the same and it isn't all good.

Back in the day the lack of information about people and places would create legends in our own minds. Now that can be blown away by one silly comment or action on social media which I consider this to be. 

38 minutes ago, Flagship uberalles said:

you have to be careful now as not everyone can take a "piss take"

A lot of the time you can't see the motivation for a post. We believe it is a 'piss take'  because Westview says so. But, we did not know of the situation of the individual who 'dobbed' House in. So the post is put up with no context at all. This is why it is a foolish thing to do.

But really, who cares, tomorrow it will be forgotten, but I will just be slightly less impressed by the harness game and the perception I have of Mr House.

• Like 3

44 minutes ago, Happy Sunrise said:

Isn't it. The world will never be the same and it isn't all good.

Back in the day the lack of information about people and places would create legends in our own minds. Now that can be blown away by one silly comment or action on social media which I consider this to be. 

A lot of the time you can't see the motivation for a post. We believe it is a 'piss take'  because Westview says so. But, we did not know of the situation of the individual who 'dobbed' House in. So the post is put up with no context at all. This is why it is a foolish thing to do.

But really, who cares, tomorrow it will be forgotten, but I will just be slightly less impressed by the harness game and the perception I have of Mr House.

That is the problem with not being face to face talking to someone, social media has taken away all our natural instincts, reading people's expressions etc

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Westview said:

Sorry to disappoint a few , but yes Mickey's post a couple of days after the interview was a piss take. Probably not in the best taste but after the interview someone thought it would be a good idea to inform the riu and dob him in, in fact twice. So just to never let the facts in the way of a good story he  thru the bait on the line and let rip. Haven't heard if this got the same response but can tell you it gave Harness unhinged on facebook  record views. As the name suggests some interview's or interviewees could be unhinged,  make up your own mind on that.

You say it was a piss take. Its obvious  that was the intention. However I have no doubts he was actually telling the truth. No doubts whatsoever in my view..Just no one thought anyone would  say it, nor should say it.

Like I said I don't have a problem with what he said.  He never said he was doing anything that broke the rules. He said he operates within the rules. 

Everyone will take their own interpretation of his comments and the subsequent social media response of some. I have.

One thing for sure is House"s success is currently a hot topic of conversation. 

Maybe he is a fan of Oscar Wilde who said 'all publicity is good'  . Who knows, House may well subscribe to the theory that the only thing worse than being talked about, is not being talked about. It is an indicator of success in harness racing

Edited by the galah
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, Westview said:

The RIU exist to enforce the rules of the codes.  I've been told previously (by the RIU) that HRNZ rules only apply to Races and Race Meetings per the extract below:

102 (1) These Rules shall apply to all Races and Race Meetings .....

Surely therefore, according to their own advice, RIU don't have any jurisdiction over Facebook comments anyway?

Edited by Taku Umanga

The use of pre race treatments I think depends in part on your budget.

I don't think anyone takes the risk of knowingly giving their horse something pre race that would return a positive. But as House pointed out,sometimes things can be given that help a horses health or performance if given outside the with holding times.

From my observations.

A)the average part time trainer may give his horse one of the many legal pre race boosters that claim to improve performance. They sare cheap,within nearly everyones budget.

B)then you have trainers who seem to buy products which they believe will have their horse feeling good and which they can administer themselves.

C)Then you have those trainers who have owners with the bigger chequebooks who constantly use vets to monitor bloods and administer pre race treatments of the most up to date legal products which will help the horse perform at the optimum.  

D)Then you have those that don't believe in any of the above except if they think their horse is off colour for some unknown reason, but they will very rarely use a vet to help diagnose and assist recovery.When I trained a couple I fell into this category  partly because of budget and partly because of my belief that putting things into ones body to help performance can have negative impact on the horses long term health.

Now you can see those who can afford the "C" approach ultimately are clearly going to have the best results . And as science progresses and better and more effective ways are found to "help improve performance" you can see the gap between "C"  and "B"and the others becomes greater. 

That leads to greater frustration from some. Of course those who have the financial resources for the "c" approach also tend to have the best facilities,more qualified and skilled staff,best feeds ,etc.,all factors in success.

Of course if you look at the high profile trainers many of them have a history of positives. I can't recall house doing so,but every other leading trainer I can think of does,many with multiple,simply because they have over stepped the mark or miscalculated.

So when anyone says all pre race treatment is not a factor in success rates they are talking rubbish in my opinion. It is  one of the  many ingredients in a successful formula,,but an important one..

• Like 4

1 hour ago, the galah said:

The use of pre race treatments I think depends in part on your budget.

I don't think anyone takes the risk of knowingly giving their horse something pre race that would return a positive. But as House pointed out,sometimes things can be given that help a horses health or performance if given outside the with holding times.

From my observations.

A)the average part time trainer may give his horse one of the many legal pre race boosters that claim to improve performance. They sare cheap,within nearly everyones budget.

B)then you have trainers who seem to buy products which they believe will have their horse feeling good and which they can administer themselves.

C)Then you have those trainers who have owners with the bigger chequebooks who constantly use vets to monitor bloods and administer pre race treatments of the most up to date legal products which will help the horse perform at the optimum.  

D)Then you have those that don't believe in any of the above except if they think their horse is off colour for some unknown reason, but they will very rarely use a vet to help diagnose and assist recovery.When I trained a couple I fell into this category  partly because of budget and partly because of my belief that putting things into ones body to help performance can have negative impact on the horses long term health.

Now you can see those who can afford the "C" approach ultimately are clearly going to have the best results . And as science progresses and better and more effective ways are found to "help improve performance" you can see the gap between "C"  and "B"and the others becomes greater. 

That leads to greater frustration from some. Of course those who have the financial resources for the "c" approach also tend to have the best facilities,more qualified and skilled staff,best feeds ,etc.,all factors in success.

Of course if you look at the high profile trainers many of them have a history of positives. I can't recall house doing so,but every other leading trainer I can think of does,many with multiple,simply because they have over stepped the mark or miscalculated.

So when anyone says all pre race treatment is not a factor in success rates they are talking rubbish in my opinion. It is  one of the  many ingredients in a successful formula,,but an important one..

Very good summary galah as you say this is only one of the many factors that make up a horses performance. The gap between professional trainers and hobby trainers is vast and only getting bigger, unfortunately the days of having a horse at home and being competitive is coming to a end.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

47 minutes ago, Newmarket said:

Too true. Its a joke what some are doing. Worth noting, majority of Michael House horses, only race for a short time, show initial form, then crap out? Why??

The hardest thing from a punting perspective is having to guess the improvement for  a horse having its first start for a stable that can turn around the form in a short space of time. Your can be left scratching your head when you  see the improvement in such short spaces of time..

I still think Orange is a factor in that.  When you look at horses like Rake ,its got to be mainly in the training as he can get horses to show more speed.

I do get where you are coming from though.

• Like 1

Very good summary galah as you say this is only one of the many factors that make up a horses performance. The gap between professional trainers and hobby trainers is vast and only getting bigger, unfortunately the days of having a horse at home and being competitive is coming to a end.

secret recipe is grate carrots for horse performance

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

21 minutes ago, the galah said:

The hardest thing from a punting perspective is having to guess the improvement for  a horse having its first start for a stable that can turn around the form in a short space of time. Your can be left scratching your head when you  see the improvement in such short spaces of time..

House mentions the use of Omeprazole in the treatment of his horses.  Omeprazole is a proton reuptake inhibitor - in plain language it reduces acid production.  Gastrointestinal problems would in the short term respond quickly to the use of Omeprazole hence one might theorize that this would result in a rapid improvement in a horse.  However if the long term causes of the problem are not addressed then it is more than feasible that the horse's health would return to where it had been previously.

Horse trainers can easily get the balance wrong between high energy grain foods that create high gastrointestinal levels of acid.  When this happens lactic acid can build up in the blood.  When a horse exercises or races in anaerobic mode lactic acid is produced as a waste product.  If the blood already has high levels of lactic acid through poor feeding regimes then the horse's performance will be affected.

How many trainers pH test their horses dung on a regular basis?

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Chief Stipe said:

House mentions the use of Omeprazole in the treatment of his horses.  Omeprazole is a proton reuptake inhibitor - in plain language it reduces acid production.  Gastrointestinal problems would in the short term respond quickly to the use of Omeprazole hence one might theorize that this would result in a rapid improvement in a horse.  However if the long term causes of the problem are not addressed then it is more than feasible that the horse's health would return to where it had been previously.

Horse trainers can easily get the balance wrong between high energy grain foods that create high gastrointestinal levels of acid.  When this happens lactic acid can build up in the blood.  When a horse exercises or races in anaerobic mode lactic acid is produced as a waste product.  If the blood already has high levels of lactic acid through poor feeding regimes then the horse's performance will be affected.

How many trainers pH test their horses dung on a regular basis?

I take this drug when taking anti inflams, protects the gut. 

Doesnt make me run faster thou.

• Haha 2

11 minutes ago, Newmarket said:

I take this drug when taking anti inflams, protects the gut. 

Doesnt make me run faster thou.

Won't make a horse run faster as in increase its top speed but if it reduces gastrointestinal issues then potentially you have a happier healthier horse which means it will race better.  If it reduces pre-race lactic acid in the blood then the horse will have greater stamina.

Do you remember the RIU case in 2001 where Bjorn and Murray Baker got done for administering Ranitidine?  Essentially that drug treats the same diseases as Omeprazole.  During the investigation it was discovered that not only was Ranitidine being administered but also Omeprazole.  Ranitidine was a prohibited substance but Omeprazole was not.

Murray Baker has been one of the most successful thoroughbred trainers particularly of middle distance horses where lactic acid build up affects a horses stamina.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Chief Stipe said:

Won't make a horse run faster as in increase its top speed but if it reduces gastrointestinal issues then potentially you have a happier healthier horse which means it will race better.  If it reduces pre-race lactic acid in the blood then the horse will have greater stamina.

Do you remember the RIU case in 2001 where Bjorn and Murray Baker got done for administering Ranitidine?  Essentially that drug treats the same diseases as Omeprazole.  During the investigation it was discovered that not only was Ranitidine being administered but also Omeprazole.  Ranitidine was a prohibited substance but Omeprazole was not.

Murray Baker has been one of the most successful thoroughbred trainers particularly of middle distance horses where lactic acid build up affects a horses stamina.

is it a masking agent????