Bit Of A Yarn

standing starts

the galah

There's always been a lot of talk around the quality of the Canterbury starts.  in my opinion they are very good these days and the starters are doing a good job. My only negative is I think some drivers haven't adjusted to the better starts and are often deliberately starting too far back when drawn the second line or the unruly. 

I think there needs to be a change in the negative perception many have of some of the Canterbury starts and that we should be judging on the present and not the past.

Edited by the galah
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, the galah said:

I think there needs to be a change in the negative perception many have of some of the Canterbury starts and that we should be judging on the present and not the past.

Hard to change the attitudes of some! 

Things have gone very quiet on the topic with no real examples of disasters at the start recently. Even the NZ Cup was passed without much comment. 

Long may it continue.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Furlong said:

A lot of the races are "running starts" which seem to be better, although outside horses quite often are moving faster and get a bit of an advantage.

While they don't hold them as long as they used to,that hasn't really happened in Canterbury as  yet from my observations, It does still happen occasionally further south but I think it better to have that than have them stand too long.

Prior to the change in Canterbury you would see horses from down south  becoming fractious prior to a start when having to stand for too long in a Canterbury start. And the opposite applied., Horses from Canterbury would not  begin as quick in the stands down south as they were not used to there starts. It especially applied for horses who were inexperienced. The current overall consistency has got to be a good thing.

Edited by the galah
  • Like 1

19 hours ago, Rusty said:

Just ban standing starts. They are awful.

They are only awful because of a hopeless starter who changes the way they start every other week, and some drivers trying to outthink him and get a flyer. Need competent starter, preferably someone from within the industry, and drivers must be made to obey the rules and not try to be "clever". As it is now the horses don't know what is expected of them at the start as it keeps changing.

• Like 2

The state of Victoria ditched standing starts a while back.

None of the Melbourne based industry participants (trainers, drivers, owners and punters) that I have spoken to have said that they miss them. 

South Australia had a rather peculiar way of starting their "stand" (walk) starts, with horses walking around in a circle, on the inside of the track predominantly, then they walk up single file to the outside of the track, driver pulls the left rein and away they go. Weird look but seemed to work  with less breakers etc. Although harness racing in that state is on life support and it can't be too much longer and it will be gone completely, if it hasn't already..

12 hours ago, eljay said:

They've had standing starts for bloody near a hundred years

Plenty of things that were around a hundred years ago have now gone - I tend to agree with Rusty, if harness racing is to remain attractive to the punter maybe it's time to catch up with the rest of the world (largely) and use mobile starts only?

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Happy Sunrise said:

I am trying to think of a time I read in the stipes reports how a driver is 'reminded of their responsibilities' at the start

Yeah dead right, the drivers are reminded. And then reminded again at a later date. And then reminded again later on. So on and so on. 

Should be:

"Excuse me Happy, you need to come in to the stipes room and have a chat. You too Mr Starter, both come into the room now please. 

Right, Mr Sunrise, whilst we are all looking at the replay of the start of the race on the TV screens, tell us what you were thinking immediately prior to the starting tapes being released, and what you were asking your horse to do." 

[Insert Mr Sunrise's excuse here] 

Ok Mr Sunrise, thanks for that. Barbara, did you get all that on your typewriter? No, don't include the swear words. Mr Sunrise, we are going to remind you of your responsibilities as a driver at the start of a race, blah blah blah. 

Mr Starter, tell us how you saw the start of the race and what, if any, concerns you had as the tapes were released. 

[Insert Mr Starter's response here] 

Riiiiiiiggggght!!!!!! Next time Mr Lamb don't be such a bloody useless starter, you can't pull the wool over my eyes. Mr Sunrise, take better control of your horse at the start from now on." 

If Mr Sunrise offends again (within a specified period), he needs a boot up the backside and reference made to his initial warning.

Not just given another "reminder"! 

I still say ban the standing starts. 

• Like 1

On 11/26/2019 at 9:16 AM, the galah said:

Prior to the change in Canterbury you would see horses from down south  becoming fractious prior to a start when having to stand for too long in a Canterbury start.

Gidday Mr Galah, was just watching replays Oamaru Saturday while I join this Trot Chat for Interdominion from Qld.

Watching Race 4 replay Oamaru , well have a look and it speaks for itself. hahahaha The commentator thought it must of been a false start even.

An attendant actually grabbed one of the runners stopping it from moving off as well. NZ punters taken for a ride. [Well Not taken literally, actually on the 3 runners that never started]

ABSOLUTE joke. You couldn't possibly back/bet standing starts as a Punter if you are serious about winning something lol. Hobby punters wouldn't even enjoy that.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Happy Sunrise said:

He shouldn't have been there in the first place helping the horse stay aligned as the tapes went. Mistakes all round.

I don't think it was a false start personally.

I tend to agree. The starters assistance should not have been there but the 2 horses bad manners happened after the start. A poor look in that race.

That starting point at oamaru is poor for horses who draw the outside,they get spooked by what appears to be the noise of the tape hitting the outside fence.   Anything drawn the outside seems to break.

9 hours ago, the galah said:

I tend to agree. The starters assistance should not have been there but the 2 horses bad manners happened after the start. A poor look in that race.

That starting point at oamaru is poor for horses who draw the outside,they get spooked by what appears to be the noise of the tape hitting the outside fence.   Anything drawn the outside seems to break.

would some of these starters  assistance around the country pass a pre race veterinary check

• Haha 4

5 hours ago, the galah said:

As expected the one I backed was looking for a false start 3rd time  round  spooked and broke shortly thereafter when the horse outside it squeezed it up. They should allow punters to get off.  

Well reading the stipes report it confirmed Monkey Selfie did not get a fair start at  the 3rd attempt because the tape did not clear it. That is what it looked like and that is why its driver was looking in front of her horse when it was reluctant to move. Clearly a case that Chilcott should have reported but obviously she had no thought for punters who backed her horse.

What a debacle. 3 tries at a standing start and even the 3rd one was unfair. Punters shafted.

If that happened in Canterbury we would not hear the end of it.  

So a punter should be refunded if a greyhound bowls another over.    Some of you guys are either effusive pocket bawlers or just too precious to be a punter.     As has been said over and over again, it is your decision to punt, if you can't take a loss then give it up.     We all know there are very few who actually make any money consistently.     I couldn't pick my own nose, but I still roll a fiver around it!!?

21 hours ago, eljay said:

So a punter should be refunded if a greyhound bowls another over.    Some of you guys are either effusive pocket bawlers or just too precious to be a punter.     As has been said over and over again, it is your decision to punt, if you can't take a loss then give it up.     We all know there are very few who actually make any money consistently.     I couldn't pick my own nose, but I still roll a fiver around it!!?

No one is complaining about what happens after the start.  

You should be more specific in your comments regarding fair starts . I would be more interested in what you have to say about those as your view on punters doesn't have much relevance to the starts being discussed.

Edited by the galah

Okay galah - a fair start whether it is a stand or a mobile is the moment the starter says the infamous riiiiight.     Anything that happens before is a false start.    If the starter doesn't call a false start then by definition it is a fair start.     If the starter misses something and it happens before the riiiight the start is still a fair start simply because a falsie wasn't called.    In such an instance then it is up to the stipes to review the starters action (or lack of it) and the jca (not the stipe) decides the action to take whether it be late scratching a horse or reprimanding or fining the starter.    I'm not "sticking up" for the starter but when you have got 3 or 4 lines of horses and some being on the unruly, and particularly if the front line is fairly full, from his position to look back to those 40 metres back it is obvious that small things can be missed.    And specially if it happened at start time - or was that 10 seconds before - or 10 seconds after.     Remember we all have something the starter doesn't - it's called a replay!

• Like 1