Bit Of A Yarn

Ricky May

13 hours ago, Newmarket said:

I see garrick also posted he showed no signs of life for 20 mins??

I suggest that would be rumour and supposition.  I've been on course when a driver was seriously injured about 100m from the winning post.  I've never heard so many amateur diagnoses in such a short period of time.

I don't think that Garrick should be posting stuff like that.  It isn't news worthy and just adds fuel to scuttlebutt.

I hope Ricky pulls through - not that I have met him but he always seems to be one of the nice guys and extremely talented. 

• Like 1

Latest news. 

The social media paragraph is fair enough from the family perspective but it is the age we live in where people share information as it happens without really thinking of the consequence for the minority who are affected.

In this case I don't think any of the tweeters such as Andrew Fitzgerald, Mick Guerin or Garrick Knight had any intention other than sharing news to people concerned. 

image.png.bb0b028db09c4c6874627d5d17e4b6aa.png

• Like 3

Personally think that due to the circumstances and that Ricky May is well liked and one of our best drivers there was a helluva lot of interest into how Ricky was.

Yes of course the May family was entitled to privacy seem Ricky was pretty critical in the early stages.

However, I am sure most people also appreciate the work that Andrew Fitzgerald, Garrick Knight and Micky Guerin did in trying to inform the concerned of the situation.

Only problem was that we seemed to get different stories.

We were told that Ricky may have stopped breathing for up to 20 minutes and then we hear that he was breathing when Ellie Barron got to him!

So if he was breathing, I wonder why CPR was needed to be performed?

• Like 2

This is the best news that I have heard for some time.

So relieved that the little man in the gold cap has made really good progress.

Far too early to say if he'll be back on our tracks driving again, but it sounds like he will do what he has done almost 3,000 times before; he'll get up and he'll win this battle. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Brodie said:

We were told that Ricky may have stopped breathing for up to 20 minutes and then we hear that he was breathing when Ellie Barron got to him!

So if he was breathing, I wonder why CPR was needed to be performed?

Does it matter?  You are only speculating Brodie and why does the fine details concern you?  

As I said or inferred in an earlier post some of the journo's social media reports were not good journalism.  In these situations amateur oncourse experts would have been speculating and circulating rumour like wildfire.  There was no need for journo's to publish some of those rumours particularly when they weren't even on course. 

What was wrong with just saying "Ricky is in a critical condition after suffering a medical event while driving in ....etc."?  

2 hours ago, Chief Stipe said:

Does it matter?  You are only speculating Brodie and why does the fine details concern you?  

As I said or inferred in an earlier post some of the journo's social media reports were not good journalism.  In these situations amateur oncourse experts would have been speculating and circulating rumour like wildfire.  There was no need for journo's to publish some of those rumours particularly when they weren't even on course. 

What was wrong with just saying "Ricky is in a critical condition after suffering a medical event while driving in ....etc."?  

Chief, yes I do think that it does matter if Ricky was breathing or not!

Due to the fact that many people were actually watching the unfortunate event on tv meant that people were deeply concerned!

If it happened on the training track then there probably would be concern but probably not so much!,

Anyway, the great thing is that Ricky appears to be on the improve rather than what appeared initially!

Edited by Brodie

19 minutes ago, Brodie said:

Chief, yes I do think that it does matter if Ricky was breathing or not!

Due to the fact that many people were actually watching the unfortunate event on tv meant that people were deeply concerned!

Which would have been covered by the statement - "Ricky May has suffered a medical event and is in a critical condition."  End of story.

Anything else is pure sensationalism.  Imagine if Trackside had said - "We understand Ricky is not breathing at the moment we'll get back to you in 20 minutes."

Yes it is good news that he is on the improve.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Chief Stipe said:

Which would have been covered by the statement - "Ricky May has suffered a medical event and is in a critical condition."  End of story.

Anything else is pure sensationalism.  Imagine if Trackside had said - "We understand Ricky is not breathing at the moment we'll get back to you in 20 minutes."

Yes it is good news that he is on the improve.

The more detail the better Chief, people want to know what happened and how he is doing.

Even anonymous people like the volcano victims and Bush fire victims over here in OZ currently, that are injured, deserve some public recognition.

And we should hear of their improvement to lift spirits. And what happened to put them in that circumstance. 

Michael Schumacher (7 time F1 champion) has been hidden away by his family since 2013 from his adoring millions and no one knows if he can talk , walk  or crap even as the family won't release a statement , photo or anything. Just threaten to sue if anyone does.

What an awful end to a star of history.

Ricky May is a star of our harness sport adored by hundreds/ thousands. We and he deserve to know what happened , what is happening next , and future prospects. Not just being told ' he is in critical condition ' . Best wishes/ thoughts in your recovery Ricky.

You are missing the point.  Some of the information on social media was wrong and was published by people whose reputation gave it credence.  

Why is it any of your business or anyone else's what is or was actually wrong with Ricky?  I say no.

What is more important to focus on his getting well and I'm sure his family and spokespeople will release information when they see fit.  That is their prerogative.  

As for the bush fire "victims" - isn't it drawing a long bow to say that someone who had a cardiac arrest while holding a hose is a "victim"?  Again bad reporting by media and agencies.

Interesting that they have arrested 24 people for lighting fires that have been blamed on climate change.  But that is an argument for another Thread Topic.

9 minutes ago, Chief Stipe said:

You are missing the point.  Some of the information on social media was wrong and was published by people whose reputation gave it credence.  

Why is it any of your business or anyone else's what is or was actually wrong with Ricky?  I say no.

What is more important to focus on his getting well and I'm sure his family and spokespeople will release information when they see fit.  That is their prerogative.  

Why wouldn't it be 'my business' to care what is wrong with Ricky or Michael ? we (the public ) have supported them for years and years and they have had a MAJOR medical incident . We are concerned.

The least we can get from family is what happened and a diagnosis/ prognosis. We are not totally ignorant . (like Schumachers family)

Agree you do need 'Accurate' reporting, but without it , as you suggest we should be, everyone is guessing. You cannot say 'Mind Your Own Business' and then not expect to get Wrong Social Media Guesses/ stories. You can't have both ways.

3 minutes ago, Gammalite said:

Why wouldn't it be 'my business' to care what is wrong with Ricky

I didn't say it wasn't your business "to care".  However what you are told about the detail is up to Ricky and his family.

As for the Schumacher comparison that is what the family wants and good on them.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Chief Stipe said:

As for the bush fire "victims" - isn't it drawing a long bow to say that someone who had a cardiac arrest while holding a hose is a "victim"?  Again bad reporting by media and agencies.

Interesting that they have arrested 24 people for lighting fires that have been blamed on climate change.  But that is an argument for another Thread Topic.

You have an unusual view of what a victim is Chief. People that lose homes, more than a million animals, people who have a cardiac arrest while fighting fires, people who crash into a fallen tree and burn and die in their cars trying to flee. 

They are all Victims unfortunately. More Sad reporting than Bad reporting unfortunately.

Harness driver Ricky May says he had no heartbeat after race collapse

"The doctor in Dunedin Hospital told me later that I was gone," May told the New Zealand Herald.

"I don't know how long for. They reckon it could have been 10 minutes. I don't remember anything."

https://i.stuff.co.nz/sport/racing/118697124/harness-driver-ricky-may-says-he-had-no-heartbeat-after-race-collapse

On 7/01/2020 at 6:42 PM, Chief Stipe said:

I didn't say it wasn't your business "to care".  However what you are told about the detail is up to Ricky and his family.

As for the Schumacher comparison that is what the family wants and good on them.

Schumachers family publicly auctioned off one of his ferraris not long ago for $10 million, didnt mind the media then

• Like 1

Interest some religious people with business, that don't watch television read newspapers, but have no problem using them for advertising ect, interesting documentary on glorivale a while back, they like to be shelf self sufficient with their own work force, even midwifery, but when things go wrong they rely on our hospitals, dont want to have anything to do with the outside world, until it suits, don't get me wrong that is the right thing to do when it's a matter of life and death, but just a tad hypocritical, or am I to harsh.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Shad said:

Interest some religious people with business, that don't watch television read newspapers, but have no problem using them for advertising ect, interesting documentary on glorivale a while back, they like to be shelf self sufficient with their own work force, even midwifery, but when things go wrong they rely on our hospitals, dont want to have anything to do with the outside world, until it suits, don't get me wrong that is the right thing to do when it's a matter of life and death, but just a tad hypocritical, or am I to harsh.

yeah shad , its unfortunately a sign of the times, we are on media online now, who doesnt love tricky ricky, and I cared !!  Love Ricky and rapt he is back for his fans, chief I understand your point! but ban me if you want but its just human nature to care about what happens to people in our lives, and when we are personally invested in their well being. sold by media, take millions off people in sponsorship of whatever sport they have undertaken, if human interest and compassion is seen as media sluterry, thats your perspective! .. an you would know!  let people express their concerns for ricky! you a god of media now chief?