Bit Of A Yarn

Forbury Park

Ludwig

25 minutes ago, Ludwig said:

We really are a pack of miserable doom and gloom merchants.just close it all down and head to the pub.

Not really.

To get improvements in the game the shitty questions have to be asked and difficult conversations have to be had. Personally, I hope no tracks close but you can tell the cost cutting is going to stronger than ever after this virus.

Ludwig, How do you see harness racing progessing in the future? What tracks could close and what ones should stay? What would your criteria be?

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Ludwig said:

I'm also trying to work out what the gallops track at Kurow has got to do with a thread on harness at Forbury Park???

It was an example of a club in your province that owns its own land,unlike oamaru.  

Remember hutt park in years gone by. Mckenzie donated a fortune didn't he to the wellington club to have a grandstand built only to see it closed not long after as they didn't own that land. 

What prudent business would invest substanial $ in  infrastructure  on a property they didn't own when it may well be closed in the near future. If oamaru  was being used more as a training facility then it may make some sense but its not is it.

• Like 1
  • Champ Post 1

1 hour ago, Rusty said:

She would be about 35yrs old this lady....and word has it (from a a pretty good source) that she is working for a big punter down in the Otago region. 

What would she be looking for? The glint in a horse's eye? 

The big punter might be Brodie, he has been down to Otago recently.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, the galah said:

2k  per month is way out of reach for anyone but the rich. $50 per day plus other expenses. I guess the big trainers can charge that  as they have the owners with the cash,but if the average trainer charged that then i think they would not last too long as they  would have no owners.

$200 per moth on vets. Why do people spend so much on them.Can't they get them to perform without a vet?

I know its a highly skilled job and hard work,but a good farrier could shoe 6 or 7 a day easy couldn't they. It may not be easy shoeing an inexperienced horse and it can be risky,but with shoes costing about$20 to $30 a set, that means they would be making about $800 per day profit before tax and expenses. . Maybe they can charge that if farriers are in short supply.

Galah, heard on the grapevine awhile ago that the good horse that came from Graeme Anderson ( can’t remember its name, but many will)  and went to The Blue and Silver, the owner had a first month training bill over $5k, which would’ve included quite a few extras.
Last I heard AllStars daily charge was over $90 plus GST basic so you probably wouldn’t have much change out of $4,500 for a racing horse on a good month, then again they do win good money most of the time.

• Champ Post 1

8 minutes ago, Happy Sunrise said:

Not really.

To get improvements in the game the shitty questions have to be asked and difficult conversations have to be had. Personally, I hope no tracks close but you can tell the cost cutting is going to stronger than ever after this virus.

Ludwig, How do you see harness racing progessing in the future? What tracks could close and what ones should stay? What would your criteria be?

Excellent questions and when I find the answers I'll let you know. At the moment I'm still stuck at trying to tie my shoelaces.

• Haha 2

11 minutes ago, the galah said:

What prudent business would invest substanial $ in  infrastructure  on a property they didn't own when it may well be closed in the near future. If oamaru  was being used more as a training facility then it may make some sense but its not is it.

Waimate? ?

You have hit the nail on the head there with your summation. The question to be asked of all venues.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, hunterthepunter said:

there be no race tracks no small business who da hell would vote labour

People that like to be dictated to and believe everything that our esteemed leader says.

Unfortunately she is surrounded by people with absolutely no business success or intelligence and yet people actually voted for them.

Twyford is the minister of Economic Development, we are doomed, we are doomed I say!

• Like 1
  • Champ Post 1
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Brodie said:

Galah, heard on the grapevine awhile ago that the good horse that came from Graeme Anderson ( can’t remember its name, but many will)  and went to The Blue and Silver, the owner had a first month training bill over $5k, which would’ve included quite a few extras.
Last I heard AllStars daily charge was over $90 plus GST basic so you probably wouldn’t have much change out of $4,500 for a racing horse on a good month, then again they do win good money most of the time.

I might send one there.  Just have to convince the wife to take a 3rd job, remortgage the house and convince my columbian friends to find another way of getting product to me now the borders have been closed. That  should at least cover 2 or 3 months training bills. If that fails i will borrow big time from a pessimist. At least he won't expect me to pay him back. 

• Haha 2

8 minutes ago, Happy Sunrise said:

Probably the next Minister of Racing once he gets demoted from his current position.

Ardern doesn’t seem to demote anyone as that lady MP the other day said” that’s Not Jacinda’s way”

So our amazing dictator hasn’t got the ability to sack anyone.

She always covers for the Nillness even though she knows how useless they all are.

Twyford,Clarke,Lee’s-Galloway, Curran, Russell, Genter( Miss widen the footpaths)FFS!

Davidson( take wealth off those with it and give it to the Maoris)

drop kicks the lot of them!

P.S. Kelvin Davis, deputy leader of Labour, anyone seen him?

Edited by Brodie
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, Brodie said:

People that like to be dictated to and believe everything that our esteemed leader says.

Unfortunately she is surrounded by people with absolutely no business success or intelligence and yet people actually voted for them.

Twyford is the minister of Economic Development, we are doomed, we are doomed I say!

brodie you should get a job with the Riu  you will get good wage and you don't have to do anything lol

44 minutes ago, hunterthepunter said:

brodie you should get a job with the Riu  you will get good wage and you don't have to do anything lol

Starting wage as a (trainee) stipe with the RIU is only $40k. Goes to $50k once the trainee is up to speed and becomes a fully fledged stipe. Having said that, it is only part time work in the winter (3 days per week). 

But yes, Brodie would make a great stipe! 

• Like 2