Bit Of A Yarn

Forbury Park

Ludwig

9 hours ago, Brodie said:

Galah, heard on the grapevine awhile ago that the good horse that came from Graeme Anderson ( can’t remember its name, but many will)  and went to The Blue and Silver, the owner had a first month training bill over $5k, which would’ve included quite a few extras.
Last I heard AllStars daily charge was over $90 plus GST basic so you probably wouldn’t have much change out of $4,500 for a racing horse on a good month, then again they do win good money most of the time.

titan banner ?

• Like 1

10 hours ago, hunterthepunter said:

that guy did he turn into top cat???

unsure

but he was ordered to get back in his van and head back to christchurch and stay local no matter how worried he was about his deposit receipts

Laundry Brodie.jpg

Edited by Rangatira

3 hours ago, Happy Sunrise said:

Must be more than that surely.

About 18 months, two years ago, I read over an employment contract being offered. Interesting thing was, there wasn't any formal structure for the trainee stipe, to move into the fully fledged role, nor was there any indication regarding time requirements as a trainee.

The RIU do tend to get a bad rap at times, but the individuals involved with the recruitment were very professional and pleasant to deal with. 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Rusty said:

Happy you have just reminded me... 

At the gallops meetings around Canterbury and the West Coast, there is a very unusual lady... you may say there are many, many unusual patrons at these venues, but I want to ask about one in particular. 

In the mounting yard she can be seen, eyeing up each and every horse through her binoculars! We are talking about 20-30m away from the horses and she is using bloody binoculars! And then writing notes down for each and every runner after she has viewed them.

She then gaps it from the mounting yard, to the birdcage area and does the same. Looks at each runner through the binos and writes stuff down before getting on her phone, usually via an earphone. 

What the actual F*@%?! 

The lady in question is not part of any officialdom, never goes into any staff only area, and is never talking to anyone else on track. She is also definitely not a stipe, racecourse investigator or part of the JCA. God it sounds like I am stalking her... but honestly, if as a keen racegoer one was to see it play out, you'd be asking the same question. 

Thoughts anyone? Apart from mind my own business haha

They call her the punting princess, she speaks in code but from what I’ve deciphered she just confirms they have the notified gear on and judges them on appearance

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Trotsfan said:

Eamon Mcquire

Yes i remember that one was the subject of a bit of discussion on this site about the inconsistency of the stipes when dealing with different drivers,also got the attention of the press a  month or so later. Punters still waiting for it to make a move. Beaten a half head wasn't it?

Edited by the galah
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Invasion of Privacy said:

They call her the punting princess, she speaks in code but from what I’ve deciphered she just confirms they have the notified gear on and judges them on appearance

Thanks for that. 

Has to be looking for something bloody microscopic, to be using the binoculars from that short distance to the horse. 

One would think whatever system she has, or her off-sider has, it must be working, as she has been doing it for years. 

• Like 1

On 4/29/2020 at 7:55 PM, Happy Sunrise said:

You really do need to keep better control of your better half, Rusty.

She looks like a well bred filly, I've checked her out with my binoculars a few times.  Not sure if she would be a 2 miler, but I'd love to see if she could last the distance.

• Haha 1

On 4/30/2020 at 4:12 PM, Invasion of Privacy said:

She looks like a well bred filly, I've checked her out with my binoculars a few times.  Not sure if she would be a 2 miler, but I'd love to see if she could last the distance.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

She works for a punter, she can't say exactly what she does but it must be working because they have been doing it a fair while now. 

Maybe something similar to this book https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://watchingracehorses.com.au/&ved=2ahUKEwj_nozEzpPpAhUW_XMBHcYnBnkQFjAJegQIBRAB&usg=AOvVaw28eJNo0C2U5Fj4hBikZDaL

It's a good read and pretty accurate imo. 

• Like 1

On 4/29/2020 at 12:42 PM, Ludwig said:

I love Dunedin, and have spent many a night at Forbury. I remember Blossom Lady winning the Dunedin Cup. But times are changing, the club has been struggling for years. The stakes, the fields are poor, and some of the facilities are beyond primitive.

How long can this continue.?  As Dunedin starts to grow, more land for housing is needed. How long can the Forbury issue just drag on? New location and facilities? Or just time to call it quits?

I race a lot of horses at Forbury and look forward to their Winter series each year.The track is one of the best, the stabling, stalls , barn , and boxes are lot  better than at a lot of tracks and they have  the lights .A lot of Forbury's income comes from across the Ditch which won't happen as much with daytime races.  Sure one stand is indeed of demolition but one stand with hotel under it is more than  sufficient. As for using the land to build on you'd  need to put it on a pontoon  to keep the tide at bay.It doesn't  just have to be Forbury that races there .Other club such as Tuapeka can have there meeting there. Who wants to go to Invercargill in middle  of winter.Not Me !!!

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, Wobbler said:

I race a lot of horses at Forbury and look forward to their Winter series each year.The track is one of the best, the stabling, stalls , barn , and boxes are lot  better than at a lot of tracks and they have  the lights .A lot of Forbury's income comes from across the Ditch which won't happen as much with daytime races.  Sure one stand is indeed of demolition but one stand with hotel under it is more than  sufficient. As for using the land to build on you'd  need to put it on a pontoon  to keep the tide at bay.It doesn't  just have to be Forbury that races there .Other club such as Tuapeka can have there meeting there. Who wants to go to Invercargill in middle  of winter.Not Me !!!

You forgot to say it's the coldest track in the country  in the winter   

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Wobbler said:

Good points.

24 minutes ago, Mehe said:

You forgot to say it's the coldest track in the country  in the winter   

It certainly is in the winter,but maybe thats because its  the southern most track in the winter. and they race at night.. Its one of the few which has stabling and public facilites very close to the action which is a major plus. They tell me the restaurant /food is not like it used to be and  that stand with the tape round it seems to have been like that for years. Its has a good population base.Not sure on the number of horses in training in the area. If you included north otago there must a reasonable number. You would think on the face of it, it makes more sense harness funds to be invested in forbury than any of the other otago tracks. Mind you it would need quite a bit of investment and change..

Also it has the greyhounds there as well and you would think they may take the southland dog dates as most of the dogs that race in invercargill drive through dunedin to get there. That must be an unwanted expense to the greyhound owners

Does forbury own its own land and facilities?

Edited by the galah
  • Like 2

I have been told that the troting club want to put the rent of the dogs up I think by  42% and they want the payment back dated  i(I could be wrong with the figures but not by much ) 

Edited by Mehe

1 hour ago, Wobbler said:

I race a lot of horses at Forbury and look forward to their Winter series each year.The track is one of the best, the stabling, stalls , barn , and boxes are lot  better than at a lot of tracks and they have  the lights

Is there a sense of postivity towards the future amongst the people and club when you are there?