Bit Of A Yarn

Forbury Park

Ludwig

I love Dunedin, and have spent many a night at Forbury. I remember Blossom Lady winning the Dunedin Cup. But times are changing, the club has been struggling for years. The stakes, the fields are poor, and some of the facilities are beyond primitive.

How long can this continue.?  As Dunedin starts to grow, more land for housing is needed. How long can the Forbury issue just drag on? New location and facilities? Or just time to call it quits?

What would the greyhounds do if it closed? Could they maintain it by themselves?

Any talk of closures needs to be done with the big picture in sight. RITA will have it under control lol.

I would like to see it maintained as it is a night venue and it also serves a purpose for southern trainers in winter. However, it would have to be one of the most run down club facilities wise for the general public but it does have rustic charm.

In an ideal world it would be great to see the facilities improved, the stakes and field quality increased, and the place humming. We could even build a new stabling era and call it the Kelly Evander stables. But is it going to happen?

Harness racing does need a Forbury, unfortunately it is going to be gone in the next few years at best.

The stakes have dwindled over the years where it really isn’t viable racing there as they continue to lose money.

Think that they were in arrears for their rates to the council, not sure whether they are now up to date.

This so-called Killer virus that now has 6 

people in hospital for the whole of nZ and not a single person in ICU, will be so detrimental to harness racing nationwide.

A lot of the trainers that race at Forbury are seniors who will be giving the racing away and there won’t be too many owners wanting to be paying in excess of 2k per month, to race for a total stake of $5k approx with the winner lucky to get $3k.

Harness racing will continue in the future for the next decade, but certainly not as we know it.

Less people are going to be breeding as they won’t see any way of turning a profit and the top stallions won’t be having such large books, as their service fees are ridiculously too high.

Good idea to race basically solely at Addington as it is the best track racing wise in Australasia, bar none!!!

• Champ Post 1

1 hour ago, Brodie said:

A lot of the trainers that race at Forbury are seniors who will be giving the racing away and there won’t be too many owners wanting to be paying in excess of 2k per month, to race for a total stake of $5k approx with the winner lucky to get $3k.

The 2k per month. Seems a lot. Apart from the top couple of stables what do you think the average weekly training fees are in the south island at the moment?.

2 hours ago, Ludwig said:

the stakes and field quality increased

Forbury's place is as a 3rd string type of horse venue which makes it survive. If you are honest, some of the lower rating fields are the worst in the country. I doubt this would change in the future as it is too far to go for horses from Canterbury if the trainer thinks it has any chance of winning closer to home. Some go for a soft kill but they won't win another race after that. Although, Dalgety and Cox tend to campaign down there.

They used to have a claiming series in winter which was interesting but it seems to have died off. They could try to improve the stake of the Tuapeka Cup which is only 14 000. Could they double it to generate publicity and interest once a year for the general public?

2 hours ago, Ludwig said:

in an ideal world it would be great to see the facilities improved

It would cost millions. Everything is dilapidated, including the stands, one of which you can't enter. Maybe they should model themselves on Waimate and their look (how about pick Waimate's facilities up and transport to Dunedin and close Waimate ?)

3 hours ago, Ludwig said:

As Dunedin starts to grow, more land for housing is needed.

Who owns the land?

25 minutes ago, Happy Sunrise said:

Forbury's place is as a 3rd string type of horse venue which makes it survive. If you are honest, some of the lower rating fields are the worst in the country. I doubt this would change in the future as it is too far to go for horses from Canterbury if the trainer thinks it has any chance of winning closer to home. Some go for a soft kill but they won't win another race after that. Although, Dalgety and Cox tend to campaign down there.

They used to have a claiming series in winter which was interesting but it seems to have died off. They could try to improve the stake of the Tuapeka Cup which is only 14 000. Could they double it to generate publicity and interest once a year for the general public?

It would cost millions. Everything is dilapidated, including the stands, one of which you can't enter. Maybe they should model themselves on Waimate and their look (how about pick Waimate's facilities up and transport to Dunedin and close Waimate ?)

Who owns the land?

I suppose that's the gist of the thread. I think we all agree that the facilities are stuffed, and need millions to fix

.Do we wait for everything to fall over, or make some decisions now.?

After all, Oamaru would look good with the lights...and I would have just a few hundred metres to walk to the track.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Ludwig said:

I suppose that's the gist of the thread. I think we all agree that the facilities are stuffed, and need millions to fix

What is your proposal for the future of harness racing tracks in the South Island? NZ?

Depends on what you see harness racing becoming in the future? A Melton / Menangle situation with a majority of meetings at Addington (goodbye Rangiora, Ashburton, Timaru all weather) or the status quo?

The famed advice on these forums when you ask questions is to ring the RIU etc so ring RITA and ask what they have in store for Forbury...who knows...RITA might have a sexy telephone voice lol 

But don't ring as it is a good thing to chat about ?

2 hours ago, the galah said:

The 2k per month. Seems a lot. Apart from the top couple of stables what do you think the average weekly training fees are in the south island at the moment?.

$2k per month would be about right I would say when a horse is racing.

some would be over that.

you have the basic training plus gst, then shoeing, vets, transport to trials and races and other incidentals to do the horses welfare and you would easily get to $2k unless it was being trained by a very cheap trainer.

Trainer at $50 per day is nearly $1800 per month alone.

shoeing prob close to $200 Per set by now wouldn’t they be?

vets would be anything say $200 at least while racing

transport is not exactly cheap 

plus other bits and pieces so in any reasonable stable would be well in excess of $2k!!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Happy Sunrise said:

Motukarara is.

best and fairest (apart from the crossing)

Na, Mot is for the pluggers not good quality horses.

Addington is the best course for following form and best for viewing.

Mot.has limited internet, and that loud country and western singer !

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Ludwig said:

After all, Oamaru would look good with the lights...and I would have just a few hundred metres to walk to the track.

Too bloody cold, most of the year and nothing to do.

2 hours ago, the galah said:

Brodie forgot the gst, blacksmith ($165 +gst ) , vet and float etc - $2000 if racing be the minimum .

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Brodie said:

Addington is the best course for following form and best for viewing.

Most of the viewing is past the post which is crap.

5 minutes ago, Brodie said:

Na, Mot is for the pluggers not good quality horses.

You prefer betting on high quality and performing horses????

6 minutes ago, Brodie said:

Mot.has limited internet, and that loud country and western singer !

Use the tote and she stops singing during the race. Is she a TAB spy keeping an eye on you?

• Haha 2