Bit Of A Yarn

Trotting/Harness Clubs - Financial Reports

34 minutes ago, Brodie said:

Just looking at the tote pool for  Bathurst  trots with 2.0 minutes to go And there is $249 in the win pool.

Closed with $511 in the win pool

Our grocery bill is more than that per week mostly!
I imagine that is for Australasia.

Absolutely pathetic, that Oz is racing and NZ was shut down totally!!!

Bathurst is in nsw so they would get more bet on the NSW tab. They aren't  commingled with our tab. Thought i would check to tell you how much in their pool but its been so long since racing was on i have forgotten my password. It's normally not that much,but can get up around $5000 in the win pool for a meeting like that in nsw..

I have a few bets with the NSW tab on nz harness because of the different pool. Their pool size  on our trots can vary a lot depending i guess on the level of pre race coverage over there, but its surprising how similar the dividends end up. Would rather bet with them than a bookie so NZ racing gets their cut . I was finding you can cut your dividend too much if you  bet solely on the nz tab on the trots here.

Actually its amazing how the NSW tab always put the videos of NZ races up before hrnz. The results are quicker too on their website than the nz tab. They also show the amount in the pools after the results as well.

Edited by the galah

2 hours ago, the galah said:

I'm not sure,but you seem to be suggesting the synthetic tracks are a poor investment.  Perhaps you should read what the president of the nz trainers association,tony pike said about them. His comments were very positive towards them. Is it just another example of the galloping code not being able to agree on anything?

I think you will find that a majority of galloping people don't agree with it.  You'll find it only benefits the chosen few.'

Below is a google maps view of where the synthetic track is going in Cambridge.  Note - no grandstands or much on-course facilities.  The stables nearby are all owned by the Waikato Racing Elite.  The red marker on the map is where Pike Racing operates from.  I'm sure if you ask nicely they'll let you train your pacer on the synthetic track.

screenshot-www.google.com-2020.05.png

• Haha 2

27 minutes ago, Happy Sunrise said:

what are the costs of the TAB and what are the cost of the club on race day? 

Seems like the clubs in the future. This relationship between TAB and Club seems to be in favour of just one.

Lichter again...

https://www.lincolnfarms.co.nz/stories/revealed-where-the-tab-staff-cuts-are-being-made-are-senior-leaders-getting-off-light/

‘Transitioning’ in TABs

In a parallel move to its intention of not having any over-the-counter ticket sales when people return to the racetracks, RITA will start transitioning people in retail shops into using self service terminals and their own devices to bet.

RITA could also be expecting clubs to fund the procurement of self service terminals (SSTs) with its statement that punters would need to bring their own devices to tracks or use “SSTs owned by clubs.”

The TAB’s elite punters - the 1% who bet 30% of its turnover - won’t be spared in the cost-cutting either. RITA plans to remove certain of their benefits and reduce or eliminate hosting special events for them.

But it proposes to freeze the qualifying criteria temporarily to hopefully retain as many elite punters as possible.

Large media campaigns, social media paid activity and product launches will be reduced as they will be unaffordable.

The contact centre, which helps answer punters’ queries, will have fewer staff.

Consultation on RITA’s proposals closed yesterday with final decisions made on Monday week, May 25.

2 minutes ago, Chief Stipe said:

I understood your question.  I didn't understand his answer.  ?

Chief, you and I are in the same boat. 

His "answer", if you could call it that, as it was more of a response than an answer, was two sentences long, and he duck-shoved it.

He displayed the same trait when I questioned him at Addington's AGM a few years back on another matter. 

I am sure he is a nice bloke. Just not CEO material in my book. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Happy Sunrise said:

The TAB’s elite punters - the 1% who bet 30% of its turnover - won’t be spared in the cost-cutting either. RITA plans to remove certain of their benefits and reduce or eliminate hosting special events for them.

Won't bother Brodie he was cut off the elite list ages ago.  You'll find that the clubs probably bore most of the hosting costs.  The key costs are the rebates.  Are they going to cut those?

Seems a bit cosmetic to me.

2 minutes ago, Rusty said:

His "answer", if you could call it that, as it was more of a response than an answer, was two sentences long, and he duck-shoved it.

He displayed the same trait when I questioned him at Addington's AGM a few years back on another matter. 

Not according to JJ Flash - he thinks he is Messiah 2 (Mesara was Messiah 1).

• Haha 3

53 minutes ago, the galah said:

Actually its amazing how the NSW tab always put the videos of NZ races up before hrnz. The results are quicker too on their website than the nz tab. They also show the amount in the pools after the results as well.

Must have cost NSW TAB about 300 million for a website like that ?

• Haha 2

51 minutes ago, Chief Stipe said:

Won't bother Brodie he was cut off the elite list ages ago.  You'll find that the clubs probably bore most of the hosting costs.  The key costs are the rebates.  Are they going to cut those?

Seems a bit cosmetic to me.

I have never ever been invited to any function and pretty sure that I personally have not been offered a bonus bet, although I did have from Oz  accounts!

Many time I have gone on about how the NZ TAB business plan was totally flawed and clearly I Was on the money!

The interesting thing is that in Head Office  they have people employed their with a title of Business Intelligence, and yet they haven’t all been sacked?

What I have found is most of the big wigs that get into those positions actually haven’t had a lot of success with their own investing, and yet they are in charge of running companies worth millions of dollars!!

Remember watching that a John Allen on TV talking at the AGM last year and shown on TV!

I thought what an absolute plonker as he wanked on about this amazing betting platform and other BS!

It was just waffle about how much more money it was going to bring in, how many new punters would come on board etc. and clearly the other big wigs allowed him to get away with this and totally stuff racing in NZ, and these clowns are still there??

Then he takes off with his $750k per year salary and probably a golden handshake.

The laying off of staff, closing tracks , no promotion etc. is great for reducing costs but it is also going to cause a further reduction in betting and even less to distribute to racing clubs that still exist.

The consequences are going to be huge.

Interesting times ahead!!!

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Happy Sunrise said:

To my knowledge it hasn't happened yet and doubt it ever will.

Would be very interesting information to see.

They seem to have those figures. It was interesting to hear the figures for the lower North Island.

Someone would have worked it out. It would not be very hard if you have the time.

I bet my bottom dollar there is a comprehensive reports regarding stakes, horse numbers etc in the possession of the people who have made these decisions.

Winston might look down on the person whining on the fence at the track but if he wanted that to stop he would insist more detailed information be out there for everyone.

It is public knowledge HRNZ did not ring Allstars  and other big Canterbury stables

Nat was interviewed and said communication was terrible - on public record .

8 minutes ago, LongOwner said:

Happy Sunrise 

Such a report was produce up until 2016 then canned as showed too much info - like Clubs paid only 55% of the money they received from NZRB in stakes compared with Cheviot the high at 113% by memory .

6 minutes ago, LongOwner said:

And Happy Sunrise if not done is not the reason for it to be done now - then Clubs can prove whether they should keep there dates etc.

So if you were a committee member of a club who was being asked to race elsewhere a fair distance from your local community, would you? Why?

I am not and never have said that but if NZRB/RITA gives you $120,000 for stakes & towards running your meeting and you only pay out 65% on stakes but you have accumulated $500 k in reserves due to being a racing club ( surplus made from the owner coming to your meeting and a punter betting on the horse etc ) then maybe the club should say we are ripping off the owner and NZRB/RITA .

Therefore, to save travel and costs etc the owner is better off racing closer to home . 

My view is the other on course activities should make money ( bar food sponsorship etc ) and help towards running a meeting and stakes should be as close to turnover distribution from RITA. 

Just my model that can vary a bit for iconic days ( Kaikoura an example which had another day put on them as it is $30 k to set up for 1 or 2 days ) but racing for poor stakes when a club uses 40% of its distribution to run the bar and pay the rates & insurance it is not servicing the industry .

• Like 2

11 hours ago, LongOwner said:

accumulated $500 k in reserves due to being a racing club ( surplus made from the owner coming to your meeting and a punter betting on the horse etc ) then maybe the club should say we are ripping off the owner and NZRB/RITA .

But most of those clubs that have money in the bank didn't accumulate cash from their raceday's.  They acquired it through other activities.  What's wrong in having cash in the bank or short term investments in the event of the rainy day scenario?  What's more if anyone is owed the accumulated funds it is the tax payer.  As Incorporated Societies the clubs haven't had to pay income tax on what are normally taxable.

Therefore, to save travel and costs etc the owner is better off racing closer to home . 

You make the incorrect assumption that ALL harness owners live in Christchurch.  They don't.

stakes should be as close to turnover distribution from RITA. 

For the smaller clubs they are.  Some actually return more than their allocation.  That extra goes into the "Consolidated Fund."

but racing for poor stakes when a club uses 40% of its distribution to run the bar and pay the rates & insurance it is not servicing the industry .

Aside from the poor stakes (which is subjective) name one club that uses 40% of its distribution to run its operation?  If you look at the accounts posted on BOAY so far you will find that that isn't the case at all.

On 17/05/2020 at 4:47 PM, Rusty said:

Perhaps he just doesn't suffer fools or gives answers that  are not in agreement your ideas on things. For a guy who turned around WRC and NZMTC as CEO your last part is the funniest, were those boards who appointed him  no good either?. Can you update us on your CEO experience/achievements so we can compare.

Greg

Edited by JJ Flash

7 minutes ago, JJ Flash said:

Perhaps he just doesn't suffer fools or gives answers that  are not in agreement your ideas on things. For a guy who turned around WRC and NZMTC as CEO your last part is the funniest, were those boards who appointed him  no good either?. Can you update us on your CEO experience/achievements so we can compare.

Greg

Well can you explain his answer please?

While you are working it out can you tell us what were the "Special Projects" he  managed at the NZRB 2000-2002?

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, JJ Flash said:

Greg

You are easily amused Greg if you find that funny. 

Noone on here cares about my CEO experience/achievements, maybe no one except for you, for some unknown bloody reason. 

But why stop at that? 

You wanna see the size of my bank account or the size of anything else of mine, so you can compare me to anybody else? 

I have never understood the likes of you, and quite frankly won't be wasting any of my time too either, as to why you would want to know about one's business experience, subsequent to a comment made about someone else's performance.

Tell us all this... 

If someone has not played rugby at the highest level on the world stage, can they not offer an opinion on the All Blacks? 

Actually don't bother telling us. 

No one cares mate. 

• Champ Post 1

Peter V'landys. 

Now there is a man that isn't just a nice bloke, but one of the world's best sporting administrators going around. 

Respected by many, feared by some, he answers most, if not all questions directly, honestly and sometimes bluntly, but more importantly he gets sh!t done and the results speak for themselves. 

Something other chairmen/CEO's within the NZ racing industry could try and emulate perhaps. 

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Rusty said:

Peter V'landys. 

Now there is a man that isn't just a nice bloke, but one of the world's best sporting administrators going around. 

Respected by many, feared by some, he answers most, if not all questions directly, honestly and sometimes bluntly, but more importantly he gets sh!t done and the results speak for themselves. 

Something other chairmen/CEO's within the NZ racing industry could try and emulate perhaps. 

I agree with you on V'landys.  I don't think he gets it right all the time but then who does.  But look at his performance during Covid-19 - racing continued and we are now only a week away from the NRL starting up.  Meanwhile Rugby Australia is still looking for a CEO!

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Rusty said:

You are easily amused Greg if you find that funny. 

Noone on here cares about my CEO experience/achievements, maybe no one except for you, for some unknown bloody reason. 

But why stop at that? 

You wanna see the size of my bank account or the size of anything else of mine, so you can compare me to anybody else? 

I have never understood the likes of you, and quite frankly won't be wasting any of my time too either, as to why you would want to know about one's business experience, subsequent to a comment made about someone else's performance.

Tell us all this... 

If someone has not played rugby at the highest level on the world stage, can they not offer an opinion on the All Blacks? 

Actually don't bother telling us. 

No one cares mate. 

Thanks for the great back down , a true keyboard warrior, keen to bag others in higher positions whilst remaining anonymous. Your another one of those real heros of social media IMHO

Greg