Bit Of A Yarn

RIP Gisborne

On 9/06/2020 at 9:23 PM, Tiger Tiger said:

the point is to support the industry and its local connections, you should try it 

chief - andrew castles left HBRC in March, PBTC were advised of the racedates (or lack of) in May - so what dots are we joining and what do they show ?

Why?  They were funding it themselves,  losing money  that's theirs, that's their choice,  it only looks like it matters cause all the other clubs losing money have their losses covered up by the industry .This club owes the industry nothing, it doesn't care about them and it never did. 

• Champ Post 1

On 9/06/2020 at 1:33 PM, nomates said:

PBTC have said that when they race at Hastings they don't expect too many to travel down from Gisy , what the fucks the point then . They will simply become a token race club . As many at RACE already are . 

How profitable is the Taumarunui Race Club?Haven't had  racetrack for yonks but used Waipa,Te Rapa and now Rotorua.

2 hours ago, mumbles said:

How profitable is the Taumarunui Race Club?Haven't had  racetrack for yonks but used Waipa,Te Rapa and now Rotorua.

You'd have to think they do pretty well, be interesting if they can keep the same level of interest going in their cup race when the AWT comes in. 

Does anyone know what sort of numbers are trained at the tracks that are going to be robbed of their assets in the next 12-18 months?

Whose on the list

Waipa

Avondale

Te Teko

Waipukarau

Stratford

Waterlea

Hawera

Rotorua

Omakau

Motukara

Reefton

etc???

Is there more or less tracks to go??

17 hours ago, Dark Beau said:

Gee wiz, that’s unbelievable. How would that operation have 39 employees unless they are claiming for tote operators for the meetings canceled. 

Update: HB Racing applied for and got paid for 39 employees, which included Tote Operators based in the area who in turn have been paid out. 

Gee wiz, that’s totally in the face of what the Government handout was about (saving jobs) when RITA, (TAB) have announced that they are getting ride of all Tote Operators on course!

Sorry but 1+1 doesn’t = 2 in this instance. 

(Probably not HB Racing’s fault as they wouldn’t have known of RITA’s crazy intentions.)......I certainly didn’t and I have my ear close to the ground!

12 minutes ago, Dark Beau said:

Update: HB Racing applied for and got paid for 39 employees, which included Tote Operators based in the area who in turn have been paid out. 

Gee wiz, that’s totally in the face of what the Government handout was about (saving jobs) when RITA, (TAB) have announced that they are getting ride of all Tote Operators on course!

Sorry but 1+1 doesn’t = 2 in this instance. 

(Probably not HB Racing’s fault as they wouldn’t have known of RITA’s crazy intentions.)......I certainly didn’t and I have my ear close to the ground!

Why would they claim for Tote Operators. Wouldn't they be contractors only, not permanent staff and only paid for days of work required. We have only missed three meetings 11/4, 25/4 & 20/5.     

• Like 1

Just now, All The Aces said:

Why would they claim for Tote Operators. Wouldn't they be contractors only, not permanent staff and only paid for days of work required. We have only missed three meetings 11/4, 25/4 & 20/5.     

Sorry I can’t answer your question. 
I can only report what I know. 
I suggest that you direct your question(s) to Darin Balcombe, CEO of HB Racing. 
I have found him a great chap to deal with, especially when he was the General Managed at the WRC. 
Beau. 

12 hours ago, All The Aces said:

They can't be contractors or would have to have applied themselves. Presumably  casual employees. The club could apply for them even if not working at the time and only had to pay them out for the days they would have worked and keep the rest.

18 minutes ago, curious said:

They can't be contractors or would have to have applied themselves. Presumably  casual employees. The club could apply for them even if not working at the time and only had to pay them out for the days they would have worked and keep the rest.

The numbers don't seem to add up to meet the criteria unless they claim the loss of revenue from RITA.  The majority of which gets paid back out in stakes - given they didn't race that means they didn't have the cost either.

10 minutes ago, Chief Stipe said:

The numbers don't seem to add up to meet the criteria unless they claim the loss of revenue from RITA.  The majority of which gets paid back out in stakes - given they didn't race that means they didn't have the cost either.

Not just the stakes but the meeting payments from NZTR would also have been lost along with training related revenue, track fees etc.

1 hour ago, curious said:

Partly to hold and partly to prepare for but they still lost that income because of Covid so that would count. They will also have saved some expenses but the wage subsidy was based on lost gross revenue, not net profit.

Even so given their largest revenue earners happened BEFORE the lockdown the numbers don't add up.

2 hours ago, Chief Stipe said:

Even so given their largest revenue earners happened BEFORE the lockdown the numbers don't add up.

I'm not clear what numbers you think don't add up. As far as I can see, for the lock down period, their year on year income is probably down close to 100%, certainly way above the 30% and I imagine they will likely be eligible for the 8 week subsidy extension now on a similar basis.

1 minute ago, curious said:

I'm not clear what numbers you think don't add up. As far as I can see, for the lock down period, their year on year income is probably down close to 100%, certainly way above the 30% and I imagine they will likely be eligible for the 8 week subsidy extension now on a similar basis.

"Year on year income" - what month to what month?

PS:  Did Foxton get a subsidy?  If not why not?

I'd say any month where they had at least one racemeeting last year to this year where it wasn't held would easily work.

Yes. Foxton got a subsidy. No training/track fees and no trials.

Actually I was told they did but maybe didn't. I can't see them listed.

Edited by curious

Obviously I don't understand how the subsidy criteria works.  Politically it doesn't sit right with me that all the racing organisations involved could essentially claim the subsidy for the loss of the same source of revenue i.e. a bit like double dipping.  Also as "businesses" they don't actually pay tax.

However you can't begrudge them for playing the game and getting the dosh. 

Of course it has to work like that and I don't see anything political about it. It's to help businesses retain employees rather than lay them off. And of course it works in layers. My employer claims the subsidy to keep paying me because the business can't operate and revenue is down. Then the local pub and Kmart claim the same because they can't operate and I'm not in there spending that money and so on. Call it double dipping if you like.

Its fine that the Clubs / Tote consortiums applied for the wage subsidy, their staff lost jobs or days work over the period the subsidy applies too and its  great that a Club can make a claim and continue to pay tote operators for the days that they would of worked. That is exactly what the scheme is for. 

except for two or three clubs, i would suspect that the raceday income is the majority of the income for Clubs, whether that is hospitality packages, race day payments, tote turnover payments, compliance payments etc - the criteria from the Govt was a reduction of 30% of your income, so not having racedays would have impacted those clubs who scheduled to run meeting(s) over the period. they still have to pay track staff, maintenance, admin, management etc as well rates, insurance etc 

also not quite right about clubs not paying tax, they pay GST and PAYE, but not income tax