Bit Of A Yarn

copy that

The stipes report says this horse appeared to choke down because driver,m mckendry, restrained it hard and it began to hit the footrests,which made it pull more..

Now if a horse is pulling hard and hitting the footrests because of that,why would you restrain it more if that is making the matter worse?.That explanation seems a total contradiction. Also why would you hang onto a horse if you think it is beginning to choke down? To me that stipes report is a bit of a joke.

Either they should have stood the horse down for terrible manners,or they should have opened an inquiry into why a driver can pull a hot favorite out of a race because he doesn't want to give it a hard run,because it had pulled too hard  fresh up.  Since they didn't,will we see others pull their horses up halfway through a race because it suits the connections. In my opinion this would only happen in the north island,as the stipes up there  really don't care what the punters think or see.  And no,i didn't back copy that.

6 hours ago, Mikie said:

Galah, I think that you are being a bit harsh on Maurice

If the horse is hitting the footrests whilst being restrained he will certainly hit them harder if he's let go

He's between a rock and a hard place

Mikie

I've always believed the harder you hang on to a horse that is pulling,the more likely you are to hit the footrests if its already dong so. In a situation where a horse is pulling hard,isn't the  gear most likely to move forward bringing the cart closer to the horse. Thats the way i believe it works. I know thats how it worked with an extremely big horse i used to have that used to do it all the time because they did'nt make carts ,hopples and other gear big enough for him. I know a horse hitting the footrests will panic a bit and get keen,but Mckendry was in the clear outside the leader so in my opinion  simply chose to look after the horse because he didn't want the horse having a hard run first up. If it was a trial then fair enough,but this was a race where punters had there money on. Aren't they entitled to a run for there money?Personally i think it a poor look.

Edited by the galah

1 hour ago, Mikie said:

I believe you are wrong, and that the horse would have hit the footrests no matter what Maurice did

But, each to their own opinion

Mikie

If hitting the footrests is a reason for pulling a horse up,then why dose no one else do it? It seems to be the go to excuse by drivers who have been questioned as to there aggressive drives. None of them have pulled a horse up and it is used as an excuse for letting them run?  They keep trying.As you say,we will agree to disagree.

Edited by the galah

16 minutes ago, the galah said:

If hitting the footrests is a reason for pulling a horse up,then why dose no one else do it? It seems to be the go to excuse by drivers who have been questioned as to there aggressive drives. None of them have pulled a horse up and it is used as an excuse for letting them run?  They keep trying.As you say,we will agree to disagree.

NZ racing trainers for a long time now in both horse codes have used races to get their horses fit.  Never used to happen when there was a struggle to get a start.  You know those long ago times where trial form mattered?  If you didn't have it you were best balloted out.

In this post Covid-19 restart shouldn't all nominated horses have recent trial horses before they can get a start?  At least the punter will have sighted the horse!

That's why punters like OZ Metro gallops - trials that are as good as our races before they are up and you know that most are having a go.

• Like 1

While you can be correct that restraining a horse that is pulling can make them hit the discs or footrests more, they can also hit them when not being restrained, to me he looked very close up in the cart & once he started hitting and panicking he had obviously pulled so hard he was liable to choke down, which would have put both the horses welfare & other drivers/horses in the fields safety at risk. It isn't as simple as letting him run once he was panicking like that he would've run himself in to the deck long before the finish or probably have galloped also if given free rein. Just because he was out in the open doesn't mean he will settle, a lot of horses actually race more fiercely when up parked. It was an unfortunate situation, but in my opinion Maurice absolutely did the right thing. It is a scary situation when you have horse that over races that fiercely & it puts everyone out there at risk.

Some horses that hit the disks or wheels infrequently cope with it ok, but often once they start you have no real option but to let them run along I've personally never been in a situation where my horse panicked so hard that it had to be pulled up, but I have driven one that went worse than it should have because it over raced due to this.

• Like 2
  • Champ Post 1

3 hours ago, Harrison said:

While you can be correct that restraining a horse that is pulling can make them hit the discs or footrests more, they can also hit them when not being restrained, to me he looked very close up in the cart & once he started hitting and panicking he had obviously pulled so hard he was liable to choke down, which would have put both the horses welfare & other drivers/horses in the fields safety at risk. It isn't as simple as letting him run once he was panicking like that he would've run himself in to the deck long before the finish or probably have galloped also if given free rein. Just because he was out in the open doesn't mean he will settle, a lot of horses actually race more fiercely when up parked. It was an unfortunate situation, but in my opinion Maurice absolutely did the right thing. It is a scary situation when you have horse that over races that fiercely & it puts everyone out there at risk.

Some horses that hit the disks or wheels infrequently cope with it ok, but often once they start you have no real option but to let them run along I've personally never been in a situation where my horse panicked so hard that it had to be pulled up, but I have driven one that went worse than it should have because it over raced due to this.

I appreciate what you say,just don't agree that anyone was at risk.

Horses choke down because they are restrained  so hard they can't get enough air. I can understand ones that may be locked up,but have never been able to understand why any driver would restrain a horse in the open to such a degree as to make it choke and fall. It has happened many times,you always see it coming and if they are in the open then thats not the horses fault,its man/woman made.

You are probably right,possibly the way they geared him up contributed to him hit the footrests. 

You are looking at it from a horsemans point if view,fair enough,but you don't take into account that this was a race with betting on.

This isn't the first time Copy That has done this.Look at its 5th race day start.  No safety issues that day because it was driven differently. No one was expecting Mckendry to knock the horse around when it got tired. 

As i've said this horse is a repeat offender. Why was their no stipes action?  Are they not concerned about safety???

Thats the point i was making when i described the stipes report as a joke. They apparently accepted what mckendry said about the horse racing in an unsafe mannner,yet they did absolutely nothing. 

Edited by the galah
  • Haha 1

Galah - would you have had a go at Mckendry if he let the horse go (as you have suggested) and it cleared out by 15 lengths and was swamped with 150m to go?

He would have given the same explanation for a different solution.  We'd then hear punters screaming what a shit drive.

Another aspect of giving a horse its head is you are likely to encourage it to continue pulling in future races.

I agree though with your point about stewards requesting that the horse trial to their satisfaction before racing again.  They don't take that approach often enough in my opinion.

12 hours ago, Noodlum said:

Galah - would you have had a go at Mckendry if he let the horse go (as you have suggested) and it cleared out by 15 lengths and was swamped with 150m to go?

He would have given the same explanation for a different solution.  We'd then hear punters screaming what a shit drive.

Another aspect of giving a horse its head is you are likely to encourage it to continue pulling in future races.

I agree though with your point about stewards requesting that the horse trial to their satisfaction before racing again.  They don't take that approach often enough in my opinion.

No i would not have complained had Mckendry let the horse go and been swamped late in the piece.That is what i have been saying he should have done. As i have referred to earlier,that is exactly the way he has been driven previously. No one complained then.The horse came out and won its next start.To say punters would be screaming that would have been a shit drive, is a bit of an  insult to  the intelligence of the normal punter,just as the stipes report for. that race is. 

I agree that letting it go may encourage it to pull in future races,although in my opinion with the benefit of hindsight connections just had the horse too fresh in his first run for a while.I also think strangling a horse  to the point where it is choking down would be more detrimental and more likely to run the risk of injury.Even the best get it wrong occasionally,but Mckendry may still think he did the right thing. Still thats what we do on these forums,discuss opinions about all things racing.

Edited by the galah
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
9 hours ago, Happy Sunrise said:

Come on JJ, tell me what you think. Any chance to beat your boys?

Actually talk racing for once.

No idea at this stage who will win Cup Surely you jest with the Your Boys bit as i have no association with the stable other than knowing a few of their owners. You know their the ones that are paying the bills to put the show on. Do you have any issues with that?

Results say they are the best,they accumulate the best stock so will no doubt be a force as usual come Cup week.

Greg

Edited by JJ Flash