Bit Of A Yarn

Hawera - hard day for the blokes - great day for the girls!

Chief Stipe

7 hours ago, Shad said:

Claimers on wet winter tracks a big plus for me

Was that the reason or was it more the fact she was on the best horse in the race.

A few of them won very easy, I doubt the claim was the difference in many cases today. Almost 1/2 the card was ridden by apprentices & certainly many of the runners under $10, stands to reason they would salute often. Same situation with riders, of the 14 in race 1 only 2 were male riders.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, barryb said:

Was that the reason or was it more the fact she was on the best horse in the race.

A few of them won very easy, I doubt the claim was the difference in many cases today. Almost 1/2 the card was ridden by apprentices & certainly many of the runners under $10, stands to reason they would salute often. Same situation with riders, of the 14 in race 1 only 2 were male riders.

yeah, didn't see many races but did watch Hazel Schofer win one by about a dozen lengths.    Any moderately competent rider would have scored on that horse.

But, good on the girls, we'd be in a parlous state without them...and the imports.

2 hours ago, barryb said:

Indeed take nothing away from her but she was in most cases certainly getting on the right horses. 

1 hour ago, Freda said:

yeah, didn't see many races but did watch Hazel Schofer win one by about a dozen lengths.    Any moderately competent rider would have scored on that horse.

But, good on the girls, we'd be in a parlous state without them...and the imports.

Let's face it, without your girls NZ racing would collapse in a screaming heap, how many industries could or would say that? It's a fact, and  it would be great if some of the 'girls' or retired 'girls' were offered retainers by NZTR to run a schools education program to encourage more girls into the industry? The fellas are getting bigger and heavier,  the ladies might just be the salvation.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, barryb said:

Just a general comment, wasn't totally referring to yesterday, hence the 81s fixed yesterday I got with Regent Street and Tegan Newman.

Apprentice jockey Hazel Schofer rides into New Zealand history books with six-win day

09:04, Aug 09 2020

Aricina bolts clear for a win to make it six victories on the day for apprentice rider Hazel Schofer in Hawera on Saturday.
PETER RUBERY/RACE IMAGES
Aricina bolts clear for a win to make it six victories on the day for apprentice rider Hazel Schofer in Hawera on Saturday.

Apprentice jockey Hazel Schofer rode herself into the New Zealand racing history books on Saturday, after a remarkable six-win effort in Hawera.

The 21-year-old Taranaki rider became the first apprentice to record a half-dozen victories in the one day, with her stunning feats also taking her to the top of the jockey premiership.

Four of Schofer’s wins came for her boss – New Plymouth trainer Allan Sharrock, who also celebrated six wins overall on the day, thanks to two further victories from Lisa Allpress at Te Rapa.

Trainer Allan Sharrock with Hazel Schofer following the stunning six-win feats.
PETER RUBERY/RACE IMAGES
Trainer Allan Sharrock with Hazel Schofer following the stunning six-win feats.

Schofer, who only returned to riding after the Covid-19 lockdown following an extended break due to weight issues, claimed victories for Sharrock on Shanghai Express, Tavi Mac, Beckidboo and Aricina, and also bagged wins on the Warren Bolton-trained Jazamour and veteran galloper Dolcetto for Sylvia Kay.

With Allpress also coming out on top with The Grinder and Cannoli, it also made it a super six for Sharrock, who had five of the horses enter the meetings as favourites.

“I said to a few of my mates if I had the luck, I could win five and we ended up going one better,” he said.

“As things turned out, my horses were suited as most were drawn wide and were back runners which is how the pattern on the day at Hawera worked out.

Hazel Schofer only recently returned to racing after an extended break. (File photo)
JOHN VELVIN/STUFF
Hazel Schofer only recently returned to racing after an extended break. (File photo)

“In saying that, they still had to be good to win and I’m pretty sure I’ve never trained more than four on a day so to get six winners is just unbelievable.”

Sharrock was quick to compliment the performance of Schofer who has made every post a winner in her return to racing.

“I don’t think you will find that any other three-kilogram claimer has ever ridden six in a day,” he said.

“I was actually hoping to get seven for her and for me, but we missed out.

“She [Schofer] rode consistently all day and although there are a few things we have to tidy up, she is a kid going forward in a hurry.

“I think racing needs more like Hazel as she presents well, speaks well on television and she is a good kid.”

Schofer’s leap to the top of the jockey table was also mirrored by Sharrock’s jump up to the top of the standings.

“If you asked me if I’ve ever been on top of the premiership, I would say probably never so that’s marvellous,” Sharrock said.

“I might have to get a photo of that, but honestly it has truly been a special day.”

6 hours ago, Huey said:

Indeed take nothing away from her but she was in most cases certainly getting on the right horses. 

Plenty of jocks get on the right horses but lack of ability to be where they need to be tends to stop the right horse . The young lady yesterday was exceptional , had the horses where they needed to be when they needed to be . She has a real calmness about her riding , never panics , and lovely balance , always seems to know how much horse she has under her and doesn't have to bash them in a tight finish , Tavi Mac the perfect example .

2 hours ago, nomates said:

Plenty of jocks get on the right horses but lack of ability to be where they need to be tends to stop the right horse . The young lady yesterday was exceptional , had the horses where they needed to be when they needed to be . She has a real calmness about her riding , never panics , and lovely balance , always seems to know how much horse she has under her and doesn't have to bash them in a tight finish , Tavi Mac the perfect example .

I couldn't agree more, it does help riding for a top trainer and knowing what you have under you when you likely ride them at work. She is definitely a star in the making if she wants to be. Here is hoping. 

4 minutes ago, Huey said:

I couldn't agree more, it does help riding for a top trainer and knowing what you have under you when you likely ride them at work. She is definitely a star in the making if she wants to be. Here is hoping. 

Yea , i love the fact  that AS says there is a few things that she has to tidy up , she wont get ahead of herself with him as her mentor , fair but tough . I think that was what the young fella Pinn couldn't handle . Seen plenty fall because of poor attitude .

• Like 1