Bit Of A Yarn

LEAKS TO PRESS

LongOwner

Harness racing drivers protest new rule depowering the whip 

Martin Van Beynen19:56, Nov 06 2020

Who keeps feeding this scribe with in confidence industry matters.
Also, give me strength describing Mark Jones as a harness racing legend - shows the reporter has no idea .
More importantly who is the industry insider who leaks this stuff which damages the sport .

4 hours ago, LongOwner said:

Also, give me strength describing Mark Jones as a harness racing legend - shows the reporter has no idea .
More importantly who is the industry insider who leaks this stuff which damages the sport .

I think Mark Jones is right.

I don't like the writer, at one time he was the best in NZ, today he is just another St Jacinda disciple. And he does seem to have something against harness racing but I don't know what.

5 hours ago, LongOwner said:

Top 15 all time with 1448 and thats after virtually stopping driving 10 years ago.

and a former World Champion.

Notwithstanding your point Martin, about leaking, which I tend to agree with, don’t let your stable’s issues with Jones cloud his qualifications.

• Like 1

Once again it appears that the current whip rule was brought in without too much consensus!

Personally think it is far better than the stupid 10 hit rule that was brought in without much thought at all!

Hopefully with a new CEO of HRNZ there is change for the better and a far happier harness racing family!

• Haha 1

19:56, Nov 06 2020
Harness racing wants to improve its image by disarming the whip.
JOSEPH JOHNSON/STUFF
Harness racing wants to improve its image by disarming the whip.

A group of harness racing drivers want a new rule dramatically limiting the force of the whip to be reconsidered by their industry body.

The new rule prohibits drivers from taking their hands off the reins when hitting the horse with the whip. They must keep a rein in each hand while using only a wrist motion and are not allowed to engage the elbow.

The rule, which came into force on October 1 and will apply at the New Zealand Trotting Cup next week at Addington, is designed to take the force out of whip use and increases safety by requiring drivers to have a hand on each rein.

NZ Harness Racing Trainer and Drivers Association head Ken Barron said a percentage of drivers were unhappy with the rule, which most thought was good for the image of harness racing.

“It’s not a big percentage. A lot of people don’t like change and some feel they weren’t properly consulted and just don’t like the way it was delivered. Some people are struggling with the change.”

Drivers would have to change the practice of putting both reins in one hand when they used the whip, he said. Disengaging the shoulder reduced the force of the whip dramatically.

“It’s a better look for the sport and already in place in Australia. The difference in Australia is that did it in stages and here we are doing it all in one go. But we needed to change and the outcome is positive.”

Barron said he could understand drivers having difficulties with the new rule and compared it to a right-handed golfer having to change to playing with his left hand.

A new harness racing rule means drivers must keep their both hands on the reins when using the whip. This image is from a race before the new rule applied.
STUFF
A new harness racing rule means drivers must keep their both hands on the reins when using the whip. This image is from a race before the new rule applied.

Cambridge-based veteran driver David Butcher said he was part of the group seeking a “sit down” with the national council of Harness Racing New Zealand to rethink the issue. He estimated 50 to 60 per cent of drivers wanted the rule to be softened.

“We just want a happy medium. There must an amicable solution.”

Most driving was done by instinct and the new rule required changing the habits of a lifetime.

Cambridge reinsman David Butcher is not happy with the new rule restricting use of the whip.
WAIKATO TIMES
Cambridge reinsman David Butcher is not happy with the new rule restricting use of the whip.

Real consultation had been lacking and 90 per cent of North Island drivers were “pretty tidy” anyway, he said.

“It’s gone too far the other way and given us a month to change the practice of 40 years. No horse drives exactly the same and some need more encouragement. The rule has taken away our options.”

Butcher said the group was looking at the numbers who wanted a rethink before going further.

Harness racing drivers will have to curtail their use of the whip under a new rule starting October 1.
MARTIN HUNTER/GETTY IMAGES
Harness racing drivers will have to curtail their use of the whip under a new rule starting October 1.

Suggestions drivers had threatened to boycott the New Zealand Trotting Cup event at Addington were rubbish, he said.

Harness Racing New Zealand chairman Ken Spicer said a rethink was not on the cards and the change was not an admission the use of the whip was cruel.

“It’s a response to the way society is going. It’s no longer necessary and it’s a step forward.

“These horses are trying as hard as they can without the use of the whip. We’re still getting great finishes and times are pretty much the same.”

He accepted some old hands would need time to change and an initial leniency period had been granted.

Harness racing legend Mark Jones said he supported the change.

“The world is changing and animal warfare is big issue and this is a step in right direction and better look for harness racing.

“Yes, it is hard to change and I struggle myself, but there is transition period allowed and old habits die hard. You have to adapt to rules like Richie McCaw did with the rules of the breakdown in rugby.”

46 minutes ago, the galah said:

The topic is headed leaks to the press.

I have read the article and can't work out where the "leak to the press"  bit comes from.  It seems every media article around something contentious is viewed in a negative way by some.

I doubt it is a leak. It is just that the writer von beynond has a snitch against harness racing for some reason. He was once a fair and balanced writer but that is not the case anymore after he caught the St Jacinda is wonderful virus. That and the media bailout for $50m now makes Stuff and TV stations government controlled.

The writer could have written about the death at the Melbourne Cup but chose harness racing instead. I believe he has it in for harness racing and would like to see it gone. We have to keep our noses clean in the industry or writers like this chap will bring the game down. Unfortunately, writers like van Beynan can sway public opinion against harness racing.

Edited by Davis
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, Chief Stipe said:

Harness Racing New Zealand chairman Ken Spicer said a rethink was not on the cards and the change was not an admission the use of the whip was cruel.

It’s a response to the way society is going. It’s no longer necessary and it’s a step forward.

Well I guess society (whoever that is) can pay the wages and stakes.  Who cares about the customer i.e. the punter.

• Like 1

Does the general public give a rats about the whip use in harness racing?

I say no, Animal Rights groups are not worried about it, as it is  not on their agenda!

For some strange reason HRNZ and Edward Rennell brought in the last rule without any real consensus.

They panicked after Ozzie brought in the no whip rule and we all know that that was overturned due to stupidity!

There was nothing wrong with the rule that was in before the 10 whip rule as it was not an issue!

There are bigger issues in harness racing in NZ than that of usage of the whip.

Edited by Brodie
  • Bad Post 1

Yep and changing the rules only puts a non issue into public view.

The question that Spicer and co should be asking and answering is:

Will changing the rules attract more punters?
Will leaving them as they are lose punters?

But eh token gestures are easier to do than work out the big questions!

As for "society" changing well if you believe the vocal minority are society then why not close up shop now?  I heard some woman banging on about how all racing of animals should be banned.

Edited by Noodlum
  • Like 1

Noodlum you are correct!

It is a non issue with the public but for some reason HRNZ thinks that is is???
Could someone that thinks the whip usage is an issue for the public, provide us  all with something that shows there is an issue!

HRNZ should be spending more time in making harness racing more interesting and available to people!

• Bad Post 1

2 hours ago, Davis said:

I doubt it is a leak. It is just that the writer von beynond has a snitch against harness racing for some reason. He was once a fair and balanced writer but that is not the case anymore after he caught the St Jacinda is wonderful virus. That and the media bailout for $50m now makes Stuff and TV stations government controlled.

The writer could have written about the death at the Melbourne Cup but chose harness racing instead. I believe he has it in for harness racing and would like to see it gone. We have to keep our noses clean in the industry or writers like this chap will bring the game down. Unfortunately, writers like van Beynan can sway public opinion against harness racing.

van beynan should stick to fantasy writing like his articles re what became known as inca

• Champ Post 2

4 hours ago, Davis said:

The letter was written in confidence by some drivers to HRNZ and other authorities ( I am assuming ) so how did this confidential request for a review end up in the Press ? 
Someone must of dropped it on the reporters lap - he didn’t source it himself . That is a leak by a trainer/driver, staff of HRNZ or member of the judiciary who received the letter !

By the way I have already stated I think the new whip rule is good .

1 hour ago, LongOwner said:

The letter was written in confidence by some drivers to HRNZ and other authorities ( I am assuming ) so how did this confidential request for a review end up in the Press ? 
Someone must of dropped it on the reporters lap - he didn’t source it himself . That is a leak by a trainer/driver, staff of HRNZ or member of the judiciary who received the letter !

By the way I have already stated I think the new whip rule is good .

Or Van Banyon could have overheard something about it at the pub etc? Or from someone else who overheard someone talking about it in pub. I think he's probably got a good source inside the harness industry. Beware!

I agree new whip rules are excellent.