Bit Of A Yarn

Track - Riccarton Park-Canterbury JC | Saturday 14 November

I wonder if ALL Trainers are happy that they are irrigating?  Makes sense to me - Friday and Saturday look like being screamingly hot at 26 degrees plus!

Thursday Afternoon
Weather: Fine
Track: Dead 6
Rail: Out 3m from 1100m To 450m, Out 3m In The Chute | 8mm Irrigation today

Weather and Track last updated at 12.36pm Thursday 12 November

A Dead 5 and you would expect it to improve during the day if not before start time.  21 Degrees already, a Nor-wester and a high of 26 forecast.

Watch for a track upgrade after Race 1.

Race Day

Track: Dead 5

Rail: Out 3m from 1100m To 450m, Out 3m In The Chute

Weather and Track last updated at 6.23am Saturday 14 November

Friday Afternoon

Weather and Track last updated at 3.40pm Friday 13 November

24 minutes ago, Chief Stipe said:

A Dead 5 and you would expect it to improve during the day if not before start time.  21 Degrees already, a Nor-wester and a high of 26 forecast.

Watch for a track upgrade after Race 1.

Race Day

Track: Dead 5

Weather and Track last updated at 6.23am Saturday 14 November

Friday Afternoon

Weather and Track last updated at 3.40pm Friday 13 November

that's obvious I commend track manager keeping it in the dead range with the heat, and   looks like its going to be hot down there Some one not going to be happy with irrigation

5 minutes ago, Running Man said:

what do you think track would be upgraded toooo ???

It's been 20 degrees since 9am.  The track condition was measured at 6am this morning.  It's 22 degrees already in Christchurch.

So by race time the track has had 5 hours of warm temperatures - would it be too much to expect that the track has improved from a D5? 

Assuming that the D5 is accurate then after race one I'd expect a D4 - who knows with those temps it may keep improving.  If it was a Strathayr it would be G3 already!

Then again the Stipes will be too busy making sure the starting gates are in the right place!

I agree with Mr pitmans comments.

He said he can't believe how wet it is given the weather,and actually just tipped  the last winner because he felt it would be suited to the wetter track.

Winning jockey said its perfect,but what winning jockey doesn't?

i know they ran 1.09.6,but there's a big difference in a horse who likes a track that they run 1.08 on to a horse that likes a track that they run 1.09.6 on.

The one thing that puts me off betting on the gallops is tracks that are heavily watered. Days like today will always get big punter turnover,but you need the regular punter on the smaller days and tracks that have been watered after a lot of rain is just a turn off for myself. The form becomes inconsistent.

Yet some are saying that the track is playing more like a D4.

5 minutes ago, the galah said:

The one thing that puts me off betting on the gallops is tracks that are heavily watered. Days like today will always get big punter turnover,but you need the regular punter on the smaller days and tracks that have been watered after a lot of rain is just a turn off for myself. The form becomes inconsistent.

Would you prefer this?

screenshot-loveracing.nz-2020.10.04-11_40_43.png

Todays track has shown a big advantage to the outside runners. 

There is a clear fast lane in the middle of the track,and a slow lane on the inside. 

It is not a fair track to me.

The jockeys have already worked that out judging by that last race.

It is summer is it not,and there has been hot days and no rain in the last 3 days.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, the galah said:

It is summer is it not,and there has been hot days and no rain in the last 3 days.

They had 50mm or two inches of rain at the beginning of the week.  Only put 8mm of irrigation on on Thursday.  The track isn't a D5 more like a D4 now.  Currently 26 degrees.  The issue has always been the state of the underlying soil - fine line between getting it right and another a shyte track like 3 October.

If anything they could have put the rail out 3m up the straight rather than just the shute and bend.  However if you saw the early pictures of the rail at the top of the straight getting off the rail isn't that hard.

PS:  Officially summer doesn't start until 1 December.

• Haha 1

18 minutes ago, Chief Stipe said:

Well there goes the "inside is off" theory!

1200m 1:08.7  Track upgrade coming I imagine.

They were that spread out in that race by the time they had run 600m that  no one was ever going to come down the very outside,but the winner started its run down that dark strip about 8 to 10 horses off the rail.

1.08.7 is still a good second to a second of a half off what they would have run on a firm track in my opinion.

8 mils is half an inch. thats a lot of water to me.

As i've said i prefer to bet on tracks that you don't have to guess how much it may dry out and how the patterns may change during the day.I pulled the pin after the 2nd race.

I remember as a young kid being on holiday with the family and watching Blue Blood winning at trentham in under 1.06  point something on a firm track.. Here we are 40 years later and horses still can't get close to that.